Message Boards

Topic : 07/18 The Cougar Craze

Number of Replies: 584
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 25, 2008, 03:06:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date 05/02/08) Demi Moore did it. So did Madonna and Halle Berry. This trend of older women dating younger men is called the Cougar Craze, and it’s sweeping the country. Recently, at a New York speed-dating event, Sugar Mamas and Boy Toys, good-looking 35-year-old men wooed women over 35 who made at least $500,000 a year. Jeremy organized the event and says he was just answering a demand from affluent ladies. Was he sincere in his matchmaking or just out to make a buck? Dr. Phil talks to two women who participated in the event -- Gail, 44, and Nancy, 50. Their experiences might surprise you. Then, 51-year-old Kat says she’s no cougar; she just likes to date younger guys because men her age are set in their ways. She says her 23-year-old ex-boyfriend, Ryon, was loving, passionate and had a much higher libido than older men. Her friend, Nancy, says Kat has a great head for business, but a bad one when it comes to the opposite sex. She says young men just see dollar signs when they see Kat. Is Kat dating down, or should Nancy just butt out? And, Bobbi had an 11-year relationship with a man who was 17 years her junior, but she says once she turned 50, he saw her as too old. She wants to be in a relationship again, but not with an older man. Her son, Nathan, says someone still wet behind the ears can’t appreciate all Bobbi has to offer. Does Nathan have the right to put his foot down with his mother? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 26, 2008, 5:01 pm CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Cougar Craze Doctor Phil/Robin. Doctor Phil/Robin here is one thing that you two ought know and that is---

I will never go out with another women in my life. See you on Friday May 2nd, 2008. Sincerley Yours. Rus---

sell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 26, 2008, 5:10 pm CDT

Why not younger men?

I am all for the older woman dating the younger man..  Let's face it, women in mid forties and beyond are just in the prime of life, most men that age or older simply can't keep up with today's woman who wants an active life including active love life!  LIfe is all about choice, why shouldn't women have the choice and obviously the men are willing.  Women have much to offer in many ways so if both parties are willing why not..  I say go for it, enjoy it.          

April 27, 2008, 2:08 am CDT

Just a matter of your hearts and what you are in it for

Quote From: jevans79109

It's a shame that its such a huge topic for older women to date younger men when men have been doing th same thing or EONS basically. Ohhhh but an older guy with a younger girl is considered a "Stud" or whatever and the older woman is called a cougar.....a vicious, hunting feline.  How nice.  And not every younger guy leaves when the woman gets older.  My mom(57) and step-dad(43) are 12 years apart and have been married 20 years.  My husband and I are 12 years apart and he's more of a man and provider than my ex-husband who was 5 years older than me!   Just saying age is just a number; it doesn't outline how a person will act.

Thank you for your post. My husband and I are married three years and he is 9 years younger than me. I am 34. y ex is like 6 yrs older than me. The relationship we have is bonded in love and truth, no matter what, we are honest and share as friends, some of the most difficult thingand work on everything together. ya, he is still a man, so he can frustrate me beyond belief. But he is humble enough to accept responsability and respectful to me when I ask him for forgivness when I mess up. We live, love and laugh together. I hope forever, yet however life goes, it is in God;s hands and we walk in faith. Take care :-)

April 27, 2008, 5:25 am CDT

05/02 The Cougar Craze

Men do it all the time.So whats the problem?

April 27, 2008, 5:57 am CDT

Cougar Craze

I am 54 years old and 20 years ago I met a man 12 years my junior and we have a 16 year old son. Then it was called, what a lucky guy he was to find someone like me.  15 years ago I met a different man who was 14 years my junior, and we have a 13 year old son.  In both cases, I was the one who left them.  I then met a man 7 months older than myself, and my life turned into a living hell. He is a 24/7 abusive drunk. Not only to me but to my 16 year old son as well. We are no longer together, after 8 1/2 years, but life with a younger man was much more pleasant, fun and stimulating. There was no abuse or the hassles of an older man with health problems. When asked how could I be with a man so much younger than myself?  My response was, when you go to the pound to adopt a dog, do you get an older dog with bad habits already formed, or do you get a puppy you can train the way you want it?  GO FOR THE PUPPY!!!!!

April 27, 2008, 6:37 am CDT

Happier than ever

I am a almost 43 year-old woman who is very happily engaged to a 24 year-old man. And I agree with the reply that says maturity matters. My fiance is more mature than the last three boyfriends I had put together. We have never fought maybe a few disagreements,but nothing  crazy like I have been apart of in the past. We have been together for two years and hope it last forever. I do have children that are close to his age but they get along great. My children are glad I finally found someone to be here for me and not just use me.

April 27, 2008, 7:25 am CDT

It depends...

I'm on the fence in this matter ..  If a 50 year old  woman is dating a much younger man who has a child the same age then it is not appropriate.  EX.  50 year old man with 2 children ages 30 & 35 and he's dating a woman around 35 then its not appropriate.   If the children are younger then that is fine, but its kind a creepy for a father to be dating a woman the same age as his daughter or son.  AGAIN if there is no kids involved or they are younger it's fine.  I have no problem with a younger guy and an older woman or vice versa.  

April 27, 2008, 10:36 am CDT

Hmmmm

What if a woman married a guy 9 years younger then her but he was also only 12 years older then her oldest child?

April 27, 2008, 3:45 pm CDT

I agree..

Quote From: jevans79109

It's a shame that its such a huge topic for older women to date younger men when men have been doing th same thing or EONS basically. Ohhhh but an older guy with a younger girl is considered a "Stud" or whatever and the older woman is called a cougar.....a vicious, hunting feline.  How nice.  And not every younger guy leaves when the woman gets older.  My mom(57) and step-dad(43) are 12 years apart and have been married 20 years.  My husband and I are 12 years apart and he's more of a man and provider than my ex-husband who was 5 years older than me!   Just saying age is just a number; it doesn't outline how a person will act.

I agree...I have know my husband for a very long time(years) and i would not date him in my early years because of the age difference. I have always liked him. My mother tried all the time to get me to go out with him. It was like mom, come on..I am to old for him, ya know! He is a very handsome man. The last time i saw him was at my Mom's wake in January of 2001. I was visiting my brother and he is kin to my Sister-N-Law (cousins). Now i have not seen him in a long while. He just happens to stop by my brothers for a visit. Which is very rare for him to do so. We began talking, cause we are friends and he is a cutie..hahaha. but anyway, some how he left with me, and we go to my house. Well i live 45 miles from each others family's. He got a good job close to where i live, and we have been together now for 3 1/2 years. We got married in May of last year(2007) so we will be married for a year this next month. I am 12 years older than him. We both think that my mother had something to do with us being together. My mother sent me the most wonderful friend, lover, and husband. He does not want me to work. He provides for us very well. i feel sometimes, maybe later in life he may want someone younger, closer to his age. But he assures me everyday that we are in this together for the long haul. He always tell me how beautiful, sexy, funny, loving, caring i am and we said our vows for a reason. He saids thank god for your mother, i love and miss her and i wish she could see us now. But you know what...god works in mysterious ways!

April 27, 2008, 4:09 pm CDT

Older women...!

i did a reply to one lady that was older than a man. I lost it somewhere. All i have to say is, I never thought i would date a younger man than myself. Well i have known my husband now for many years. We were good friends, but he was a very good friend of my mothers. He is my brothers wife's cousin. We have been together for 3 1/2 years. We have been married now for 1 year. We got together 4 years after my mothers passing. She always wanted us to hook up, i felt uncomfortable with the age difference. My mother sent him to me beyond her grave. We have been together every sense. Thank you mom! I do talk about the age difference to him at times. He assures me all the time i am what he wants and needs. I love this man to death and he love me. I think thats all that matters. Just be happy and live life to the fullest.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last