Message Boards

Topic : 08/08 Divorce that Daughter-in-Law!

Number of Replies: 381
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 02, 2008, 01:14:43 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/05/08) Dr. Phil follows up on the story of Pierre, his wife, Amanda, and his meddling mom, Yolande. When they first appeared on the show, Amanda said her mother-in-law was controlling and never approved of her. Yolande said she hoped her son would be with a more educated woman, and she even criticized Amanda in French right in front of her! Pierre was torn between his mother's money and life with his wife. When he returned home, did he take Dr. Phil's advice and cut the purse strings? Pierre claims his mother is jealous and judgmental of the women he dates. She disagrees and says she's only recently become involved in his love life. Dr. Phil puts Yolande to the test. Then, Pierre asks Dr. Phil for help revealing a secret to his mom. And, Amanda and Yolande haven't spoken to each other in months. Sparks fly when they face off on Dr. Phil's stage. Will Pierre finally choose the road to independence? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have in-law problems? Talk about it here: Getting Along with Your In-Laws

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 5, 2008, 7:14 am CDT

Frustrated

I have never watched a Dr. Phil show and been so frustrated.  I have always agreed with every approach he has ever taken.  I almost could not finish watching today I was so frustrated.  Dr. Phil kept saying how the mother-in-law kept mentioning money.  Well, yeah!!!  Because that is what they kept asking her for constantly.  Once those two asked for money, they invited their mother-in-law into their personal life period!!  If they didn't want her opinion than they should have stood on their own two feet and supported themselves.  And, also, as far as I am concerned if the daughter-in-law didn't want her looking at any of her things, than that was her responsibility to remove EVERYTHING, otherwise it was fair game.  I feel like the son was to blame completely and Dr. Phil was missing the boat with this one.  I waited the WHOLE show to finally hear Dr. Phil say get off your a** and support yourself.  So, at least for 1 second he redeemed himself!!

May 5, 2008, 7:38 am CDT

What an old evil bat!!!!

Quote From: cottonpicker

I don't think he has the guts or balls enough to divorce his Mother.  He is too much of a mama's boy.
That man is a PUNK!!!!  I must agree with your comment.  It took him to go to the Dr. Phil show to get "Help" being a man.  That's a shame.  His mother may never change her overbearing, possesive, jealous and manipulative ways, but, he can be an adult and put her in her place.  It seems to me, like the mom does not only want to be the mom, but, she wants to be his woman to.  I would have said his ex-wife had some problems which is why it was good the mother inlaw acted like a whinch, but, could it be that the mother inlaw may have driven this woman out of her mind?  She was married to a man who ALLOWED for his sorry mother to control his life in every way.  Imagine what she had to fight against every day.  He is a coward and it will only be his fault if he never marries again and has no children.  Everything this woman says about her son,  is negative.  She has nothing positive to say.  Notice how whenever he is with a woman, the first thing she does, is point out to the woman her sons  down faults.  She uses the excuse that, "Every woman should know if whether or not the man they are about to be with has money or not."  Was that her place to speak?  It sounds to me as if, she does not mention her sons bad points for the sake of the woman, but rather, to try to scare the woman away.  This chick will not be happy with ANY woman her son is with, even if she was Mother Theresa, because his mother wants her son all to herself.  It's almost as if, she feeds off of the fact that she is still taking care of him.  As long as she is still taking care of her son, and he is dumb enough to keep breast feeding at 39 years old,  she will always have control over him.  That is exactly what she wants.  She mentions how she had to pay for the daughter inlaws life, but, the wifes husband is an idiot for letting his mother get so involved with their finances in the first place.  If I could put my money on it, the ex-wife probably did not even ask for the help, the husband probably did not refuse it. 

May 5, 2008, 7:51 am CDT

grow up

The mom needs to cut him off.  And I think she was made out to be worse than she is.  and I think she has trouble getting her point across.  and so what if the mom is glad the daughter-inlaw is gone.  If the the son would just take care of himself, the mom would butt out.  How hard is it.  I really think she got the rough end of the stick all the way around.  the "boy" is a whimp.  that is the problem.  and the mom's only problem is continuing to take care of him.  How many tmes did she have to say.  if she didn't get his bills, she wouldn't care what he does.  GROW UP. Dr Phil you spent 50minutes of todays show focused on the "crazy mom" and 5 minutes on the "boy" not being a man.

May 5, 2008, 8:22 am CDT

I'm on Yolande's side!

Poor woman. I don't see that she's done anything wrong. She tried to help her son and Amanda by giving them a car and letting them live in a house she owned, and they repaid her with rudeness and resentment. Amanda deliberately plays the boom box as loud as it will go while Yolande is sleeping and then calls the police on her when she finally gets angry. Amanda *you* are the "piece of work." Yolande, I hope you can sell that house and move where Pierre doesn't even know your number. He has such a nerve, constanly phoning you, asking you to deposit money in his account -- and then going on TV calling you controling. Let him try living without you for a while and then maybe he will learn to treat you with the respect a mother deserves.

May 5, 2008, 8:46 am CDT

this boy is a Moocher!

He continually asks for Mom's money.   He even took money from his Mother's business.   He should have been on the Moochers show.  The Mother had every right to be in the house she owned.  Many Mothers cannot say 'No' to their children.  She worried about her son having no money and no place to live.  Dr. Phil should have helped the Mother to get the strength to send her son on his way.  As for the daughter in law, she latched onto a good thing.  Seems like she had $$$ signs in her eyes.  She lived in the Mother in law's house and rode in the Mother in law's mercedes - but she wanted the Mother in law out of her life.  Well she got out and I hope she is happy.    Now perhaps the Mother can recoup her losses and stop spending her money on ungrateful Moochers.

May 5, 2008, 10:30 am CDT

Pierre and Yolande

This son-and-mother duo could easily be my ex-husband and -MIL, respectively. At least Pierre and Amanda didn't have any children!!

Like Pierre, my ex- can't figure out what he wants to do when he grows up (he's over 40 now) and lives at home with Mama.

Like Yolande, my ex-MIL can't help but criticize any woman her son gets involved with; Wife #2 got talked about behind her back, to ME of all people, just as much as I am sure I was talked about by this woman. Like Yolande, my ex-MIL had no scruples about going through my dresser -- in my case, I was away at a professional conference when the snooping occurred.

The reality is that BOTH parties are actually very happy with the status quo. He gets the free ride, she gets the control. If that's what floats your boat, it's a win-win situation. I don't see it changing.

Prof

May 5, 2008, 11:41 am CDT

05/05 Divorce that Daughter-in-Law!

Quote From: fluffyfat

Poor woman. I don't see that she's done anything wrong. She tried to help her son and Amanda by giving them a car and letting them live in a house she owned, and they repaid her with rudeness and resentment. Amanda deliberately plays the boom box as loud as it will go while Yolande is sleeping and then calls the police on her when she finally gets angry. Amanda *you* are the "piece of work." Yolande, I hope you can sell that house and move where Pierre doesn't even know your number. He has such a nerve, constanly phoning you, asking you to deposit money in his account -- and then going on TV calling you controling. Let him try living without you for a while and then maybe he will learn to treat you with the respect a mother deserves.
another mother who raised another MANCHILD,

May 5, 2008, 12:02 pm CDT

05/05 Divorce that Daughter-in-Law!

Quote From: profmaryann

This son-and-mother duo could easily be my ex-husband and -MIL, respectively. At least Pierre and Amanda didn't have any children!!

Like Pierre, my ex- can't figure out what he wants to do when he grows up (he's over 40 now) and lives at home with Mama.

Like Yolande, my ex-MIL can't help but criticize any woman her son gets involved with; Wife #2 got talked about behind her back, to ME of all people, just as much as I am sure I was talked about by this woman. Like Yolande, my ex-MIL had no scruples about going through my dresser -- in my case, I was away at a professional conference when the snooping occurred.

The reality is that BOTH parties are actually very happy with the status quo. He gets the free ride, she gets the control. If that's what floats your boat, it's a win-win situation. I don't see it changing.

Prof

I agree!

(The reason they may not have any children (and thank God they didn't) was probably because Yolande was most likely in the bed between them making sure sonny-boy was wearing a condom!)

May 5, 2008, 12:13 pm CDT

That GUY p*sses me off to the gore!

He let his mother ruin his marriage!

I don't think he ever loved his wife!!!! In my opinion

He should move out and not depend on his mom. What's going happen when she dies???

What's he gonna do?

May 5, 2008, 12:20 pm CDT

Yolanda and Pierre

First of all, Momma money bank is no different then 80% of all mothers living in the United States. Parents use money (dangling) to get their children to do any and everything that they want them to do. My own parents were exactly that way. I moved out at 17 years old, and then my father asked me to work for him and I said I would, well that was no different then moving back home. They were always in my personal business, had me get rid of my own vehicle and gave me a company car so they could limit where I went, and I did a job that was such a specialty job that the only way I could find another job doing what I was doing was to move to another state. I gave them almost 27 years of my life. My father died, and of course the old will was probated, the one leaving my stepmother everything, if she survived him by 6 months, well she took 6 months to probate the will, so none of his children new of the wills contents. Our family is a yours, mine and ours. Well back to Momma warbucks, If they don't want Dr. Phils advice, then why the hell does Dr. Phil get all bent about it. There are many inablers out in the world, and there will always be. But if momma can't let go, and the son can't let go, what's the point. Leave them alone unless your paying them a lot of money to be on the show.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last