Message Boards

Topic : 08/08 Divorce that Daughter-in-Law!

Number of Replies: 381
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 02, 2008, 01:14:43 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/05/08) Dr. Phil follows up on the story of Pierre, his wife, Amanda, and his meddling mom, Yolande. When they first appeared on the show, Amanda said her mother-in-law was controlling and never approved of her. Yolande said she hoped her son would be with a more educated woman, and she even criticized Amanda in French right in front of her! Pierre was torn between his mother's money and life with his wife. When he returned home, did he take Dr. Phil's advice and cut the purse strings? Pierre claims his mother is jealous and judgmental of the women he dates. She disagrees and says she's only recently become involved in his love life. Dr. Phil puts Yolande to the test. Then, Pierre asks Dr. Phil for help revealing a secret to his mom. And, Amanda and Yolande haven't spoken to each other in months. Sparks fly when they face off on Dr. Phil's stage. Will Pierre finally choose the road to independence? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have in-law problems? Talk about it here: Getting Along with Your In-Laws

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 5, 2008, 12:24 pm CDT

Dust 'em off

Quote From: rae1985ron

That man is a PUNK!!!!  I must agree with your comment.  It took him to go to the Dr. Phil show to get "Help" being a man.  That's a shame.  His mother may never change her overbearing, possesive, jealous and manipulative ways, but, he can be an adult and put her in her place.  It seems to me, like the mom does not only want to be the mom, but, she wants to be his woman to.  I would have said his ex-wife had some problems which is why it was good the mother inlaw acted like a whinch, but, could it be that the mother inlaw may have driven this woman out of her mind?  She was married to a man who ALLOWED for his sorry mother to control his life in every way.  Imagine what she had to fight against every day.  He is a coward and it will only be his fault if he never marries again and has no children.  Everything this woman says about her son,  is negative.  She has nothing positive to say.  Notice how whenever he is with a woman, the first thing she does, is point out to the woman her sons  down faults.  She uses the excuse that, "Every woman should know if whether or not the man they are about to be with has money or not."  Was that her place to speak?  It sounds to me as if, she does not mention her sons bad points for the sake of the woman, but rather, to try to scare the woman away.  This chick will not be happy with ANY woman her son is with, even if she was Mother Theresa, because his mother wants her son all to herself.  It's almost as if, she feeds off of the fact that she is still taking care of him.  As long as she is still taking care of her son, and he is dumb enough to keep breast feeding at 39 years old,  she will always have control over him.  That is exactly what she wants.  She mentions how she had to pay for the daughter inlaws life, but, the wifes husband is an idiot for letting his mother get so involved with their finances in the first place.  If I could put my money on it, the ex-wife probably did not even ask for the help, the husband probably did not refuse it. 
I agree - Pierre should look up in the back of his closet, take out that little box, dust 'em off and begin wearing them for the first time in his life.

May 5, 2008, 12:26 pm CDT

this 40 yr. old product of his MOTHER!

This man (& I use that term loosely) is a product of his upbringing!  This woman has an *un-natural* attachment to her son and she controls him with money.  This man (again I use the term loosely) needs to leave home and stop letting his mommy tell him how to run his life.  I haven't seen the whold show nor have I read above here but I have to wonder what this "new information is"?  I've a feeling I know.  She's not going to take it well at all. 

May 5, 2008, 12:26 pm CDT

No poor woman

Quote From: fluffyfat

Poor woman. I don't see that she's done anything wrong. She tried to help her son and Amanda by giving them a car and letting them live in a house she owned, and they repaid her with rudeness and resentment. Amanda deliberately plays the boom box as loud as it will go while Yolande is sleeping and then calls the police on her when she finally gets angry. Amanda *you* are the "piece of work." Yolande, I hope you can sell that house and move where Pierre doesn't even know your number. He has such a nerve, constanly phoning you, asking you to deposit money in his account -- and then going on TV calling you controling. Let him try living without you for a while and then maybe he will learn to treat you with the respect a mother deserves.
Please! This woman took over her son's life instead of getting one of her own. They have a very unhealthy relationship.  He's 39 and doesn't want to live with 'Mommy'. He needs to grow up - she needs to back off and get a life.

May 5, 2008, 12:27 pm CDT

05/05 Divorce that Daughter-in-Law!

Quote From: fluffyfat

Poor woman. I don't see that she's done anything wrong. She tried to help her son and Amanda by giving them a car and letting them live in a house she owned, and they repaid her with rudeness and resentment. Amanda deliberately plays the boom box as loud as it will go while Yolande is sleeping and then calls the police on her when she finally gets angry. Amanda *you* are the "piece of work." Yolande, I hope you can sell that house and move where Pierre doesn't even know your number. He has such a nerve, constanly phoning you, asking you to deposit money in his account -- and then going on TV calling you controling. Let him try living without you for a while and then maybe he will learn to treat you with the respect a mother deserves.

"Poor woman"?? Did you watch the same show I did?

This "poor woman" is so controlling that she can't even function if some other woman is in her son's life.  Did you not see how freaked out she was when she was watching Pierre and that blonde just sitting on the couch talking? I thought she was going to have a panic attack! And then the first thing she does when she walks into the room with the two of them is to try to discourage this girl from even thinking about starting anything with sonny-boy. Yolande has emotionally crippled him so severely all his life by financially supporting him and never allowing him to grow up, that at age 40 he's a bigger baby than my own son was at age 2!

A REAL man would never allow his mother to destroy his marriage.  Yolande went on an absolute mission to get rid of Pierre's wife because she just couldn't stand the competition....what a sick, sick woman! She has no one to blame for her wimpy son but herself. Yolande would NEVER move away where she couldn't control her little baby...are you kidding?

May 5, 2008, 12:31 pm CDT

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? WHAT A TOOL!!!

is this an absolute joke or what?!   Holy crap, i just had to write, because my stomach is in knots watching this stupid group of  “adults”.  Seriously.  Okay, this guy is 40 years old and clearly suffering from some sort of oedipal complex.  Ew.  It’s so disturbing…who cares about him?  Of course he’ll never be able to marry and have kids, because he’s a lazy, lame, wuss.  He’s in love with his mother and any woman who would ever want to be with him has to be out of her ever-lovin mind.   It’s good that the young lady (Amanda?) divorced him, but I’m surprised she didn’t have more of a problem with HIM.  She seemed to have no problem expressing her distaste for his mother, but she really needed to demand that he put his foot down.  

I feel badly for his mother, cause I think she’s a touch insane. (can one be just a touch insane?)  Or, perhaps she’s just profoundly lonely and sees her son as her only source of love.  Either way, he’s taking advantage of the situation and her desperation by being a freeloader and allowing her to infantilize him.  Overall, I’m just disgusted.    

May 5, 2008, 12:36 pm CDT

You gotta be kidding me

Why is Dr. Phil attacking the mother?  Why hasn't he said "grow some 'nads and support yourself" to the son?!  He should be yelling at the son for being so pathetic!    

May 5, 2008, 12:37 pm CDT

PLEASE SAY THIS IS NOT FOR REAL!!!!

is this an absolute joke or what?!   Holy crap, i just had to write, because my stomach is in knots watching this stupid group of  “adults”.  Seriously.  Okay, this guy is 40 years old and clearly suffering from some sort of oedipal complex.  Ew.  It’s so disturbing…who cares about him?  Of course he’ll never be able to marry and have kids, because he’s a lazy, lame, wuss.  He’s in love with his mother and any woman who would ever want to be with him has to be out of her ever-lovin mind.   It’s good that the young lady (Amanda?) divorced him, but I’m surprised she didn’t have more of a problem with HIM.  She seemed to have no problem expressing her distaste for his mother, but she really needed to demand that he put his foot down.  

I feel badly for his mother, cause I think she’s a touch insane. (can one be just a touch insane?)  Or, perhaps she’s just profoundly lonely and sees her son as her only source of love.  Either way, he’s taking advantage of the situation and her desperation by being a freeloader and allowing her to infantilize him.  Overall, I’m just disgusted.    

May 5, 2008, 12:39 pm CDT

an un-natural attachment exactly!

Quote From: rae1985ron

That man is a PUNK!!!!  I must agree with your comment.  It took him to go to the Dr. Phil show to get "Help" being a man.  That's a shame.  His mother may never change her overbearing, possesive, jealous and manipulative ways, but, he can be an adult and put her in her place.  It seems to me, like the mom does not only want to be the mom, but, she wants to be his woman to.  I would have said his ex-wife had some problems which is why it was good the mother inlaw acted like a whinch, but, could it be that the mother inlaw may have driven this woman out of her mind?  She was married to a man who ALLOWED for his sorry mother to control his life in every way.  Imagine what she had to fight against every day.  He is a coward and it will only be his fault if he never marries again and has no children.  Everything this woman says about her son,  is negative.  She has nothing positive to say.  Notice how whenever he is with a woman, the first thing she does, is point out to the woman her sons  down faults.  She uses the excuse that, "Every woman should know if whether or not the man they are about to be with has money or not."  Was that her place to speak?  It sounds to me as if, she does not mention her sons bad points for the sake of the woman, but rather, to try to scare the woman away.  This chick will not be happy with ANY woman her son is with, even if she was Mother Theresa, because his mother wants her son all to herself.  It's almost as if, she feeds off of the fact that she is still taking care of him.  As long as she is still taking care of her son, and he is dumb enough to keep breast feeding at 39 years old,  she will always have control over him.  That is exactly what she wants.  She mentions how she had to pay for the daughter inlaws life, but, the wifes husband is an idiot for letting his mother get so involved with their finances in the first place.  If I could put my money on it, the ex-wife probably did not even ask for the help, the husband probably did not refuse it. 
"It seems to me, like the mom does not only want to be the mom, but, she wants to be his woman to. "  This is what I think, that the attachment this woman has is just so WEIRD to her son.   If she is that upset over all the money, then she should just stop giving him money.  We don't just continue to blackmail a person. 

May 5, 2008, 12:40 pm CDT

WAKE UP DR PHIL

Why is Dr Phil not confronting the son?!  Amanda and her son were taking money from her - how is that okay?

May 5, 2008, 12:45 pm CDT

crazy

THE MOTHER AND SON ARE BOTH SICK AND IF THE SON DOES NOT FIND HIS MANHOOD THEN THEY DESERVE EACH OTHER.  THE EX-WIFE SHOULD RUN AND RUN AS FAR AS SHE CAN FROM THE TWO OF THOSE.  IT IS OBVIOUS THE MOTHER AND SON ARE CO-DEPENDANT OF EACH OTHER.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last