Message Boards

Topic : 08/08 Divorce that Daughter-in-Law!

Number of Replies: 381
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 02, 2008, 01:14:43 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/05/08) Dr. Phil follows up on the story of Pierre, his wife, Amanda, and his meddling mom, Yolande. When they first appeared on the show, Amanda said her mother-in-law was controlling and never approved of her. Yolande said she hoped her son would be with a more educated woman, and she even criticized Amanda in French right in front of her! Pierre was torn between his mother's money and life with his wife. When he returned home, did he take Dr. Phil's advice and cut the purse strings? Pierre claims his mother is jealous and judgmental of the women he dates. She disagrees and says she's only recently become involved in his love life. Dr. Phil puts Yolande to the test. Then, Pierre asks Dr. Phil for help revealing a secret to his mom. And, Amanda and Yolande haven't spoken to each other in months. Sparks fly when they face off on Dr. Phil's stage. Will Pierre finally choose the road to independence? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have in-law problems? Talk about it here: Getting Along with Your In-Laws

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 5, 2008, 1:13 pm CDT

These people are ridiculous

If the mom pays for everything for him then she gets to control what he does.  If he is financially independant then forget her, but she takes care of him!  She gives him the money to LIVE, then she gets to decide his LIFE.  I am 18 years younger than this man and completely financially independant.  I have a degree and own my house and have a great job.  It's really sad that this guy is controlled by his mom, but I do not blame her.  Amanda should have never married him.  It seems like he will never get away from his mother.

May 5, 2008, 1:14 pm CDT

Wimpy Son!

I was quite surprised that you didn't  provide a more balanced view, meaning in favour of the mother! You pointed out several times that the mother mentioned money a lot ...well HELLO! I would too if anyone stole my hard-earned money! I think she had every right to talk about it, and as far as I can see, she would have left him alone if it were his own money he blew on trips and bars or whatever. I think supporting him on the show didn't help him see how much of a mooch he was and also didn't help the ex-wife grow up a bit herself . The son is the one who needed the harsh words.

May 5, 2008, 1:16 pm CDT

oh please stop blaming your parents!

Quote From: beenthere50

First of all, Momma money bank is no different then 80% of all mothers living in the United States. Parents use money (dangling) to get their children to do any and everything that they want them to do. My own parents were exactly that way. I moved out at 17 years old, and then my father asked me to work for him and I said I would, well that was no different then moving back home. They were always in my personal business, had me get rid of my own vehicle and gave me a company car so they could limit where I went, and I did a job that was such a specialty job that the only way I could find another job doing what I was doing was to move to another state. I gave them almost 27 years of my life. My father died, and of course the old will was probated, the one leaving my stepmother everything, if she survived him by 6 months, well she took 6 months to probate the will, so none of his children new of the wills contents. Our family is a yours, mine and ours. Well back to Momma warbucks, If they don't want Dr. Phils advice, then why the hell does Dr. Phil get all bent about it. There are many inablers out in the world, and there will always be. But if momma can't let go, and the son can't let go, what's the point. Leave them alone unless your paying them a lot of money to be on the show.

I don't know how old you are but it's more than likely 80% of KIDS who are living off their parents rather than getting a job!  Whenever anything goes wrong you're right back ther blaming your Mommy & your Daddy.  "I did a job that was such a specialty job that the only way I could find another job doing what I was doing was to move to another state."  Well boo hoo get a job doing something else or move to another friggin state.  People do that ALL the TIME!  You said "they had me get rid of my own vehicle and gave me a company car".  So they put a gun to your head?  Look if you were working for your parents then you were doing a job and a boss may have a lot of say but not over the vehicle you drive or where you go.   It wasn't they that short changed you in life it was YOU!   It sounds tome like you're just pissed that you didn't get enough money out of your father after he was gone...... 

Oh & Dr. Phil gets all "bent" I imagine when people come asking what to do and then doesn't take the advice he gives.  There's plenty who'd love to go on the show to get advice and who'd gladly follow it. 

May 5, 2008, 1:17 pm CDT

European mother

To me this lady is a typical European mother.  I was born in Europe and through my parents and I visiting friends (European) a lot of these mothers are the same.  Money is always on top and then the girl is never good enough to be with the son or vice versa the boy is never good enough for the daughter.

May 5, 2008, 1:21 pm CDT

OUTRAGEOUS EX MOTHER-IN-LAW

THIS WOMAN SHOULD BE BANNED FROM PIERRE'S LIFE...SHE HAS TO BE THE WORST VICICOUS PERSON I'VE SEEN IN A LONG TIME....HE NEEDS TO GROW UP YES, BUT WITH THAT PENETRATION OF GUILT, NEEDINESS AND INABILITY TO FUNCTION WITHOUT HER MONEY IS BEYOND RIDICULOUS....ALTHOUGH NOT UNCOMMON....

I REMEMBER WHEN MY MOTHER IN LAW DIES SUDDENLY ( BY THE WAY SHE WAS A SAINT THAT WALKED ON WATER AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED) MY BROTHER-IN-LAW AND HIS WIFE KEPT CRYING OH MY GOD WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO NOW....I WAS PUZZLED BY THIS AND TOLD MY HUSBAND MAYBE HE SHOULD ASK WHAT THAT WAS ABOUT? NEVER DREAMING IT WAS ABOUT MONEY, WE FOUND OUT THEY WERE USING ALL HER CREDIT CARDS, SHE WAS BUYING THEM GROCERIES AND PUTTING STEAK ON THEIR TABLE WHILE SHE ATE HAMBURG, BECAUSE MY BROTHER-IN-LAW USED TO TELL THAT HE JUST COULDN'T MAKE ON HIS OWN, SHE WOULD  BUY HIS WORK CLOTHES, WORK BOOTS, NOW MIND YOU THEY HAD GOOD JOBS, BOTH WORKED, NO CHILDREN YET JUST FOOT LOOSE AND FANCY FREE TO SHOP, EAT OUT, GO ON VACATIONS, PARTY AT THE POOL AND ON AND ON, BOATS FOR THE LAKE HOUSE ALL BECAUSE HE TOLD HER THAT HE WOULD COMMIT SUICIDE IF HE DIDN'T HAVE THESE THINGS......HE WAS HOSPITALIZED AND THE DR. KICKED HIM OUT AFTER ADMISSION AND TOLD THE MOTHER NEVER TO BRING HIM BACK UNDER ANY CONDITION UNTIL HE SOUGHT PSYCHIATRIC CARE....HE WAS CLAIMING TO THE DR. AND HIS MOTHER HE THOUGHT HE HAD A BRAIN TUMOR.....NO BRAIN TUMOR AND NO COUNSELING EVER CAME ABOUT....THIS MAN TODAY IS A FALLING DOWN BELIGERENT DRUNK THAT PEOPLE RUN TO GET AWAY FROM......

GIVEN ENOUGH OF MOMMY AND HER MATERIALISM SHE IS TEACHING PIERRE TO NEVER SEVER THE TIE AND STAND ON HIS OWN TWO FEET.....THE BEST GIFT WE CAN GIVE OUR CHILDREN IS FREEDOM TO BE WHO THEY ARE, MAKE THEIR OWN MISTAKES, BE THERE IF YOU ARE NEEDED BUT TO ENABLE THIS KIND OF SICKNESS IS WRONG...THE MOTHER NEEDS HELP AS WELL. I AM GLAD THAT THE DAUGHTER IN LAW GOT AWAY BECAUSE FROM MY EXPERIENCE THIS BROTHER IN LAW AND HIS WIFE I SPEAK OF ARE BOTH FALLING DOWN DRUNKS AND THIS COULD HAVE HAPPENED TO THIS GIRL AS WELL....AMEN FOR YOU DR. PHIL, GET PIERRE TO THE HEAD HUNTER MOVE HIM AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS MOTHER AS POSSIBLE TILL HE IS STRONG ENOUGH TO STAND UP TO HER AND NOT NEED A DIME OF MONEY FROM HER EVER.....HE WILL HOLD HIS HEAD UP IN THE END AND THAT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TO LET SOMEONE MANIPULATE WITH MATERIALISM YOUR ENTIRE LIFE...I PRAY THIS WOMAN HAS NO OTHER CHILDREN BECAUSE IF SHE DOES SHE WILL PROBABLY MOVE ONTO THEM NEXT....THANKS FOR LISTENING....THIS REALLY HIT HOME AS I'VE SEEN IT, LIVED IT AND SAW THE END RESULTS WHICH IS NOT A PRETTY PICTURE.......

May 5, 2008, 1:23 pm CDT

How sad is that man

Watching today's show was really embarrasing for me as a man.  I can not believe that a 40 year old man could be such a wimp.  Although I found his mother to be controlling, I do agree with her attitude about giving him money.  Of course she could always say NO.  I think the thing that turn me the most, was his grin and never looking embarrased, a character flaw of not being a rail man.  HIs ex to be was willing to take and use his mother's money, what does that say about her.  Bottom line, what a mess of a threesome.

May 5, 2008, 1:30 pm CDT

Son/Husband?

After watching today's show I realized I wouldn't want that man as my son OR my husband - even if he offered me his "dixie cup" on a silver platter!

He sat there with a silly smirk on his face the entire time. The victims here are his wife and mother.

May 5, 2008, 1:30 pm CDT

Grow Up

I haven't watched Dr Phil in a while and took a peek today and realized I went to high school with Pierre and his father was my college advisor.

Pierre grow up!!! The materialism you are showing is sickening. I can't believe that you actually said it would be hard to choose between your mother's money and your wife. She was smart to leave and she would be even smarter to not ever look back. 

Your mother won the battle and is winning the war. And now Dr Phil gives you a hand out. I hope it isn't wasted. I don't know what you were teaching but do you still play violin? There is decent money to be made in private lessons. I know, I currently am teaching music casually (8 hours/week). As a part or full time gig the money isn't bad. You were very good at the violin back in the day.

You claimed to not be lazy and hard working but you need to live within your means and work 2 or 3 jobs if you must. There are many teachers who work 2 or more jobs to make ends meet. Get off your bum and get to work!

May 5, 2008, 1:42 pm CDT

05/05 Divorce that Daughter-in-Law!

What a man, what a man, what a man,   NOT, What a joke, he sits on the stage and needs the Doc. to help him tell his mother that he is seeing his ex. wife. lol... and his ex. is defending him when he didn't defend her. is that not sad. the manchild sits on stage and complains that his mother is to involved  in his life, when he put her there in the first place. he takes and lives in her house, drives her car, she gives him monies, she treats him like a child because he acts like one.

The mother should force him to be a man, kick him out and take the car, because he sure is not going to

do it on his own, he needs the Docs. help to find a job. lol......LOL......Please he is 39 years old letting other help him find a job, why can't he been doing it for himself, why must someone help him be a man.

Sorry Dr. Phil but this guy has none, not even in a dixie cup.

May 5, 2008, 1:43 pm CDT

05/05 Divorce that Daughter-in-Law!

I don't like the spin that DrP put on the show today. It seems to me that the mother is more than willing to support her son, which IMO is ridiculous, but she is not willing to support both her son and whatever woman he hooks up with. That's what it looks like to me. I'm not so sure that the mother is all that jealous of her son and other women. I think DrP kept steering the show the way HE wanted it to go and I'm disappointed in that. I'm not saying that the fact that the mother is willing to support the son is reasonable. First off, we are not willing to support our kids now that they are old enough to work. But, IF we were, that wouldn't mean that we were willing to step up and support them along with whoever they hooked up with. I don't really understand why the mother doesn't just cut him off. The son is a deadbeat who is willing to take his mother's money as long as she is willing to give it. And he's sittin' up there on stage, lettin' his mother take most of the heat. And what is wrong with that ex-wife? Damn, why ain't she putting more of the blame on her ex-husband? And I don't believe for one minute that excuse of a man is going to do anything different than he has been doing for almost 40 years. He's lovin' it. The reason he didn't stand up for his wife in the first place is because he didn't give a s*** about her. He just simply wanted his mother to support him as she always has and support the wife also. I can't figure out why in the world the ex-wife  has hooked back up with him. I swear, I just think the mother has more of the blame put on her than is fair. There are 3 people involved in this and they are equally responsible for thier actions. I don't like the way DrP handled this show. I am disappointed.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last