Message Boards

Topic : 05/09 Mama Drama

Number of Replies: 117
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 02, 2008, 01:33:02 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
We've all got a mom, and they all come with different personalities, and in different shapes and sizes. While some are more traditional, like June Cleaver, others are controlling drama queens. First meet Jessica. She says that becoming a mom was one of the happiest moments in her life, but it has taken a huge toll on her marriage. She gained over 50 pounds having her children, and now her husband says she looks like the Pillsbury Doughboy. He even points to pigs and says to his kids, 'Look, there's Mommy.' What does Dr. Phil say this couple must do to restore their relationship? Next, Kathleen calls her mom, Grace, the biggest drama queen. She says she's so controlling, she will throw tantrums if things don’t go her way. Grace says she's just a concerned, caring mother who likes to state her opinion. Will Grace admit her behavior is over the top, and is she ready to make a change? Then, 14-year-old Sheri claims she has the most embarrassing mom in the world! She says her mom, Monique, will break into song and dance anywhere at anytime. But will she at the Dr. Phil show? And, you won't want to miss Robin's favorite Mother’s Day present ideas. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 9, 2008, 1:19 pm CDT

Hmmm,

Now, the mean part of me would like to point out that the husband looks a lot like Peewee Herman. But, that would not nice,and something like what he did to his wife.Oh well, beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

May 9, 2008, 1:22 pm CDT

Unimaginable

After having my son by C-section (becasue of emergency), I can not imagine my husband being anything other than loving and supportive toward me (and my weight gain). I gained 22 pounds during pregnancy and another 20 afterwards. I blame the weather and the C-section for the afterwards, because it is an easy excuse. But, never would I ever let anyone talk to me the way this man talked to his wife!  Having a C-section is hard enough to recover from and get motivated afterwards. But, to have someone who claims to love you point out your every flaw and failure AND do it like a 12 year old boy on the playground is unimaginable to me. When she does loose that weight and he comes creeping back to her bed, she is going to resent him. And, he spoke about her leaving her shirt on while they had sex. Of course she did, he called her breasts "huge cannons"  That guy needs a class in respect, love and foreplay!

May 9, 2008, 1:36 pm CDT

05/09 Mama Drama

Quote From: jessi1128

1st off I don't eat and eat and eat. 2nd I had been on a diet and I had been working out. It was the fact that I was getting depressed by the way he spoke to me. Maybe you should ask the person before you assume!!!

Hopefully, Dr Phil was able to convince Jared that calling you names and making fun of you was counter-productive and no way to get you to lose the weight. Not to be critical, but you might eating more than you realize. It's easy to lose our perspective on what a portion size is when restaurants, especially those that serve fast food keep increasing their serving serving sizes. A portion of sirloin is about the size of a computer mouse, but many restaurants serve steaks at least twice that size. Nothing wrong with eating out, though. Just eat half of that steak and bring the rest home for tomorrow's lunch. Another suggestion? Keep a food journal. And, read labels. A small bag that looks like it's only one serving might actually be three. Or, more.

May 9, 2008, 1:46 pm CDT

05/09 Mama Drama

Quote From: jessi1128

1st off I don't eat and eat and eat. 2nd I had been on a diet and I had been working out. It was the fact that I was getting depressed by the way he spoke to me. Maybe you should ask the person before you assume!!!

Look, the way he spoke to you was totally WRONG. You are his wife and the mother of his child and a fellow human being. I can understand that it was depressing to have him talk to you that way. I can tell you that if my husband had ever talked to me in that manner, it would have made me angry. I gained 50 lbs. with both pregnancies and it took longer to get it off the 2nd time. I'm with DrP, you CAN lose it. Just hang in there. I hope your husband sees the error of his ways and sincerely apologizes to you.

May 9, 2008, 1:47 pm CDT

check ur facts first

Quote From: ramair

I agree with you. Jared's calling Jessica names and making fun of her is ugly, counter-productive behavior, and Dr Phil was right to call him out for this. But, asking Jared who got Jessica pregnant implied that Dr Phil blamed him for her weight gain. While Jared did get Jessica pregnant, he didn't tie her down and force-feed her.

May 9, 2008, 1:49 pm CDT

05/09 Mama Drama

Quote From: nasale

Now, the mean part of me would like to point out that the husband looks a lot like Peewee Herman. But, that would not nice,and something like what he did to his wife.Oh well, beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.
My son came in during this segment and I explained what was going on. He said, "Well, he ain't got no room to talk, he looks like he's 12 years old."

May 9, 2008, 1:51 pm CDT

05/09 Mama Drama

Quote From: ramair

Hopefully, Dr Phil was able to convince Jared that calling you names and making fun of you was counter-productive and no way to get you to lose the weight. Not to be critical, but you might eating more than you realize. It's easy to lose our perspective on what a portion size is when restaurants, especially those that serve fast food keep increasing their serving serving sizes. A portion of sirloin is about the size of a computer mouse, but many restaurants serve steaks at least twice that size. Nothing wrong with eating out, though. Just eat half of that steak and bring the rest home for tomorrow's lunch. Another suggestion? Keep a food journal. And, read labels. A small bag that looks like it's only one serving might actually be three. Or, more.
I don't eat much at all!! And anyways since the show I have lost 20 lbs.

May 9, 2008, 2:08 pm CDT

Wrong emphasis

I was disappointed in the way Dr. Phil handled the situation with Jessica on this show. Yes, the point was made that the husband's constant insults were inappropriate, cruel, and bullying. However, it didn't seem that the husband "got it" at all in the end - he was still wearing his smug smile even as he apologized, he didn't get how much pain he had inflicted. The final outcome was that Dr. Phil would help the wife lose weight - just what the husband wanted. The weight is NOT the main issue - the verbal abuse inflicted by this man, his justification of it, and his feeling that he was entitled to insult his fat wife should have been the main issue. The FINAL outcome should have been counseling and sensitivity training for the husband - not weight loss for the wife. Too many times the outcome is help for weight loss - which is not a bad thing in and of itself. But there needs to be more emphasis on the abuser getting understanding of his actions and taking responsibility for them. Verbally torturing people you supposedly care about, disrespecting one's spouse - these are NOT okay, even IF the spouse is FAT!

May 9, 2008, 2:10 pm CDT

05/09 Mama Drama

Quote From: hulagirl1

Bottom line, men don't want to be seen with a fat wife or girlfriend. Most of them know better than to admit it, but it is the truth. I think they think it's a direct reflection of their manhood to the world. If a fat chick is "all they can get", then they feel that they're seen as a deficient man. It makes them feel like they will lose status. Not just a few insecure, weak men but really, just about all men. How many discussions have we heard where heavy women looking for men are advised on their self-esteem, their approach, blah blah blah, but nobody is allowed to say the truth, the men don't go any further when they see fat. I wouldn't care all that much if my husband was fat, but men are different. They just don't say it to women because they know they'll be considered shallow and cruel. But it is what pretty much all of them think.

First off, I am not overweight so this is not written in self-defense.  It is true that a lot of men probably would not date a heavy woman. But, I personally know a lot of men who have dated , fallen in love with and married heavy women. My late FIL worshipped the ground my late MIL walked on and she was obese. He was not ashamed to be seen with her. He was, in fact, proud of the fine woman she was. I understand that we as human beings have varied, diverse tastes and preferences when it comes to dating and marriage. But there is no excuse for rudeness and abusive treatment. When 2 people marry, there is no guarantee that they will remain the same as when they say "I do". And there are a lot of things that can happen to people besides gaining weight. I'm sure men prefer women with 2 breasts, but sometimes cancer strikes. A REAL man loves his wife no matter what, and so does a REAL woman love her husband no matter what. I have been married for 34 years this month and my husband has never called me a bad name and I have never called him a bad name. That doesn't mean things have always gone smoothly, but we have respected each other. I do means "I WILL".

May 9, 2008, 2:14 pm CDT

Thank you

Quote From: housewife52

Look, the way he spoke to you was totally WRONG. You are his wife and the mother of his child and a fellow human being. I can understand that it was depressing to have him talk to you that way. I can tell you that if my husband had ever talked to me in that manner, it would have made me angry. I gained 50 lbs. with both pregnancies and it took longer to get it off the 2nd time. I'm with DrP, you CAN lose it. Just hang in there. I hope your husband sees the error of his ways and sincerely apologizes to you.
Thank you for that!! And acctually I have lost 20 lbs with Dr Phil's help!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last