Message Boards

Topic : 08/20 Sister-in-Law from Hell

Number of Replies: 296
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 09, 2008, 03:52:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/12/08) They say when you marry, you marry the whole family. But what happens when a member of your new extended family is the source of chaos and pain? Five relatives claim their sister-in-law, Kelly, is toxic. They say she spreads gossip, sends stalking e-mails and acts self-centered and psychotic. Kelly’s father-in-law, Austin, calls her The Destroyer and says she’s hell-bent on ruining the relationship between his sons, Tim and Greg, and her husband, Bill. Kelly believes she’s being unfairly targeted because she showed up in court as a witness for Greg’s ex-wife. The outspoken sister-in-law may have ruffled some feathers, but is she the only one at fault? Find out why her friend, Jennifer, feels Kelly is getting a bad rap. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have someone that is toxic to your family? Tell us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 12, 2008, 10:15 am CDT

i have 3 sis in laws that...

i have sis in laws that once were friendly but if i didnt agree with everything they said, i was the bad guy. i no longer celebrate the holidays with my husbands family.  i stay home while they go have christmas breakfast together and exchange gifts.  i have been doing this now for the past 3 or 4 holidays.  my side of the family is no better.  my brothers wife doesnt know me and doesnt want to know me.  my niece's first 2 birthdays i was not invited to celebrate...and i am her only aunt. and my 2 kids her only cousins.  and yet i am not going to be part of her life.  if i did something to upset my brother and wife i would love to know because to this day i really dont know what his wife has against me or my kids.  the last sis in law i cant even refer to in nomal unvulgar language she is a bi**h, c**t and i hate her because she is so vile and so double standard and judgemental.  one time while at a wedding she told me because i have kids i should not have an alchol at the reception.  my kids were with my parents for the night and i did not get wrecked and i can handle my liquor fine.  well years later she has her own kids and oh at every party she has a glass of vine filled at all times.  a bit contridictory yes??? well any way i have a great husband for 19 years, 2 wonderful and i mean wonderful teenagers, a nice home, filled with cats and a dog and lots of love.  at the end of the day thats all that really matters. the rest is gravy.

May 12, 2008, 11:25 am CDT

Sister Inlaw From Hell

May 12, 2008, 11:35 am CDT

I totally agree!

Quote From: mommacarol

i have sis in laws that once were friendly but if i didnt agree with everything they said, i was the bad guy. i no longer celebrate the holidays with my husbands family.  i stay home while they go have christmas breakfast together and exchange gifts.  i have been doing this now for the past 3 or 4 holidays.  my side of the family is no better.  my brothers wife doesnt know me and doesnt want to know me.  my niece's first 2 birthdays i was not invited to celebrate...and i am her only aunt. and my 2 kids her only cousins.  and yet i am not going to be part of her life.  if i did something to upset my brother and wife i would love to know because to this day i really dont know what his wife has against me or my kids.  the last sis in law i cant even refer to in nomal unvulgar language she is a bi**h, c**t and i hate her because she is so vile and so double standard and judgemental.  one time while at a wedding she told me because i have kids i should not have an alchol at the reception.  my kids were with my parents for the night and i did not get wrecked and i can handle my liquor fine.  well years later she has her own kids and oh at every party she has a glass of vine filled at all times.  a bit contridictory yes??? well any way i have a great husband for 19 years, 2 wonderful and i mean wonderful teenagers, a nice home, filled with cats and a dog and lots of love.  at the end of the day thats all that really matters. the rest is gravy.
I am the SIL from Hell? on this show.  Yep, you heard right - that's me.  I completely agree with you.  My husband is fabulous and my child is the most wonderful gift God has ever given me!  Our home life is amazing and I couldn't ask for more.  I would love to share this with my husband's family, but it is their choice to behave unacceptably.  I even tried to tell them that there were things going on that were not ok and we would not be around until some changes were made.  That didn't seem to bother them. They didn't seem to mind that we missed out on Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc...  But boy, when they have the chance to humiliate me publicly on national tv - they're all over that!

May 12, 2008, 11:49 am CDT

05/12 Sister-in-Law from Hell?

Quote From: bjkimm21

My nephew's wife has managed to split up our family. She is blaming our cousin's wife who is a speech therapist for not telling her that her first born son is autistic. We only saw him a few times in a year and she wasn't completely sure of all of his symptoms. The mother asked her once about his delayed speech and she told her it was nothing, since her own son didn't speak early. When they did get a diagnosis my nephew called her and she told him to send her the paperwork and she would send them to the right places to get treatment. However, something she inadvertantly said got him and his mother upset and they decided to disown the rest of the family. At first they continued to invite our kids to their extra holidays, and birthdays. Now they don't. They are our only family out here and we have nowhere else to go. They don't seem to care about us. I was close to my cousin's wife, so I guess I was guilty by association. My sister-in-law came up with some petty things that I didn't do and disowned me too. My husband was meeting his brother (the grandfather of the autistic child) for lunch from time to time and tried to talk to him, but got nowhere, so he told him he can't have it both ways and cut him off. Our cousin and his sister did the same. Our kids and my niece are in the middle and don't know what to do. Until this girl married into the family we were a very close family. Now there is animosity all over the place on all sides.
I'm sorry for your problems, but you're doing the same thing that the people on the show were doing. You can't blame only one person for all those issues you refer to. You've named other people who have also started problems--your sister-in-law for one--so how is it only your nephew's wife who is the problem? Sounds to me like all of you are creating things to get angry about and then scapegoating one person.

May 12, 2008, 11:56 am CDT

Quote From: rags2773

First of all I think that the whole family needs to grow up! I do understand how the family would react badly to her showing up in court. It showed to me that she was being nosey, Dr. Phil handled that perfectly . We all have family members or in-laws we don't see eye-to-eye with. I keep my distance, mind my own family. We should all do the same but that would be living in dreamland wouldn't it!!!!!!!!!!

Thing that was missed here--Greg's wife was also a FAMILY member!! She was going to court on behalf of a family member, not a stranger. Yes, it was against Greg, another family member. But it wasn't to support a stranger. His wife and children are also members of the family. Divorce doesn't change that, and they weren't even divorced yet anyway.

I also commend her for being willing to testify for the wife against Greg when the issue at hand was his excessive drinking and erratic behavior. She did the right thing. I've had alcoholism in my family and have seen the havoc it causes, especially for children. Nobody should turn a blind eye to that.

May 12, 2008, 12:32 pm CDT

Sad

It makes me sad when I see families act like this. We only are on this earth for so long so let's make the most of it.....
   I have known people I really strongly dislike but I just don't want to give any energy to those people because I don't have any energy to spare. Don't give these people any power because it's just not worth it.

I hope this family can move on and be happy. I would hate to hear that something happened to someone in this family and all they ever spent time doing was fighting. Allow the children in these families to know their family.... it's so very important.

May 12, 2008, 12:34 pm CDT

Glad Dr. Phil stopped the yelling

I can't believe that this family is acting this way towards each other let alone on live tv. I'm glad my kids know how to treat each others partners whether they like them or not. They are only 19 or 21 but even though my daughter(21 yr old) does not care for my sons girlfriend she is civil to her and interacts with her brother. These people are simply ridiculous to the point of immature.

May 12, 2008, 12:42 pm CDT

accord

Israel and Hezbollah have a better chance of attaining peace.

May 12, 2008, 12:42 pm CDT

a question to Kelly

Hi Kelly
kbm2008, I noticed you were posting and wanted to ask you a few questions. I am asking this respectfully so please don't take offence to this:
Do you feel that anything was resolved by being on the show? Do you feel any better about the situation now? 
Do you worry that this will cause problems with your husband later on (because you & your family aren't participating in family functions now?
Thanks in advance.

May 12, 2008, 12:49 pm CDT

Quote From: bjkimm21

My nephew's wife has managed to split up our family. She is blaming our cousin's wife who is a speech therapist for not telling her that her first born son is autistic. We only saw him a few times in a year and she wasn't completely sure of all of his symptoms. The mother asked her once about his delayed speech and she told her it was nothing, since her own son didn't speak early. When they did get a diagnosis my nephew called her and she told him to send her the paperwork and she would send them to the right places to get treatment. However, something she inadvertantly said got him and his mother upset and they decided to disown the rest of the family. At first they continued to invite our kids to their extra holidays, and birthdays. Now they don't. They are our only family out here and we have nowhere else to go. They don't seem to care about us. I was close to my cousin's wife, so I guess I was guilty by association. My sister-in-law came up with some petty things that I didn't do and disowned me too. My husband was meeting his brother (the grandfather of the autistic child) for lunch from time to time and tried to talk to him, but got nowhere, so he told him he can't have it both ways and cut him off. Our cousin and his sister did the same. Our kids and my niece are in the middle and don't know what to do. Until this girl married into the family we were a very close family. Now there is animosity all over the place on all sides.
Your nephew's wife ought to know that it isn't a speech therapist's place to diagnose autism. Especially in a child she sees only a few times a year. At any rate, it was gacious of your cousin's wife to offer help in getting treatment once this child was diagnosed. While I could chalk your nephew's wife's initial reaction up to being "mad at the world" because she just found out her son was autistic and lashing out at your cousin's wife, continuing to harbor such a divisive attitude is stirring up unnecessary strife.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last