Message Boards

Topic : 08/20 Sister-in-Law from Hell

Number of Replies: 296
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 09, 2008, 03:52:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/12/08) They say when you marry, you marry the whole family. But what happens when a member of your new extended family is the source of chaos and pain? Five relatives claim their sister-in-law, Kelly, is toxic. They say she spreads gossip, sends stalking e-mails and acts self-centered and psychotic. Kelly’s father-in-law, Austin, calls her The Destroyer and says she’s hell-bent on ruining the relationship between his sons, Tim and Greg, and her husband, Bill. Kelly believes she’s being unfairly targeted because she showed up in court as a witness for Greg’s ex-wife. The outspoken sister-in-law may have ruffled some feathers, but is she the only one at fault? Find out why her friend, Jennifer, feels Kelly is getting a bad rap. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have someone that is toxic to your family? Tell us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 26, 2008, 10:46 am CDT

08/20 Sister-in-Law from Hell

Quote From: nrod100

If that was HAPPY ---- what does UNHAPPY look like to you?  Resolution comes with honesty.... She so clearly is  not being honest.  The husband looks crazy and she is SO UNDERWHELMED  with the "HAPPY" marriage she has NOTHING BETTER TO DO THEN CREATE DRAMA AND DISCOMFORT all the way around. SHE NEEDS TO DO SOME VOLUTEER WORK so that she has less time to  STIR THINGS UP  AND MORE TIME DOING SOMETHING GOOD FOR THE WORLD......AND HER FAMILY.  If she already does that , THEN perhaps she should take a huge block of time to  GET HELP......SHE NEEDS IT.  one more thing:  nothing "SAD" about me ....love my family and my husbands family.......oh yea, and they love me back.  Thanks for all of your concern and pity BUT I AM REALLY QUITE FINE.  BUH buh!
Happy is still married after 14 years.  Unhappy is divorced 6 months after the show.  You can't even agree with that???

August 26, 2008, 1:09 pm CDT

I see what you meant

Quote From: kbm2008

No, I read it correctly.  I actually read the first time you posted on this board as well.  I think it's horrible that she was so incredibly rude and insulting.  There is NO excuse for racial slurs - even if you think you're being "cutesy" by using an ethnic name.  It's totally uncalled for and I agree with you.

Let me clarify what I meant...

My understanding is that you were implying that since the majority of you have a problem with this one person that she must be the problem, not all of you.  I was simply pointing out that of the three boys on this show, only one remains faithful and married to his wife.  So, applying the same rule, if the majority of the boys can't take their marriage vows seriously, they must be the ones with some sort of problem, not the only one who DOES remain faithful.  I just find it amusing that 2/3 have issues that don't concern us at all, MAJOR issues if you ask me, and I'M the worst thing they can find to nitpick about!

I did watch the Show, and now I understad what you meant.  Our situation is so different from yours...

Believe me, I would trade her in a New York minute for any of you.  Families have to learn to blend, and usually, there are two sides to every story.  I really TRIED my hardest to get along with my Sister-in-law...but in my heart, I know it is NOT what she wants, so she creates an impossible situation and people dorp off..one by one.  I have joined the ranks.

My one sweet and very mellow sister-in-law who has a grandchild, blew her stack and stromed out 14 years ago.  Her son, Irish/Italian married a Jewish girl...they had the baby and decided to let the child see both religions and make her own choice as an adult.  So, they went to a wedding, we all were watching the baby...and the one from hell takes this infant...put on dripping water and begins to BAPTIZE her...causing the grandmother to very gently remove the baby, and leave, like a bat out of hell.  My Mother-in-law was still alive, and that didn't stop her.  She DID call, and was NOT so gentle.  I do not fault her one bit.  New rules were that my MIL could visit the baby only in their house, or my house...she never came, because of the VICTIM! 

I can overlook a lot...so when I saw the show, I just thought they had the wrong person...not that SHE'D go on any show.  Why would she?  It's us, not her.

I think the gesture of going on national television was a sign that at least you tried. 

I could write a BOOK about things she has done and said that were insensitive to race, religion, and ethnic differences.  It isn't only confined to those issues, it's just those are the things I cannot tolerate...no intervention will make me see that as being O.K.

I really didn't IMPLY it's all her, I flat out said it.  Honestly, I think she has very serious and dangerous issues with her brothers being married.  That is SICK, and when it filters down into involving children, it gets even more intolerable.

August 26, 2008, 3:17 pm CDT

08/20 Sister-in-Law from Hell

Quote From: kathleen27

I did watch the Show, and now I understad what you meant.  Our situation is so different from yours...

Believe me, I would trade her in a New York minute for any of you.  Families have to learn to blend, and usually, there are two sides to every story.  I really TRIED my hardest to get along with my Sister-in-law...but in my heart, I know it is NOT what she wants, so she creates an impossible situation and people dorp off..one by one.  I have joined the ranks.

My one sweet and very mellow sister-in-law who has a grandchild, blew her stack and stromed out 14 years ago.  Her son, Irish/Italian married a Jewish girl...they had the baby and decided to let the child see both religions and make her own choice as an adult.  So, they went to a wedding, we all were watching the baby...and the one from hell takes this infant...put on dripping water and begins to BAPTIZE her...causing the grandmother to very gently remove the baby, and leave, like a bat out of hell.  My Mother-in-law was still alive, and that didn't stop her.  She DID call, and was NOT so gentle.  I do not fault her one bit.  New rules were that my MIL could visit the baby only in their house, or my house...she never came, because of the VICTIM! 

I can overlook a lot...so when I saw the show, I just thought they had the wrong person...not that SHE'D go on any show.  Why would she?  It's us, not her.

I think the gesture of going on national television was a sign that at least you tried. 

I could write a BOOK about things she has done and said that were insensitive to race, religion, and ethnic differences.  It isn't only confined to those issues, it's just those are the things I cannot tolerate...no intervention will make me see that as being O.K.

I really didn't IMPLY it's all her, I flat out said it.  Honestly, I think she has very serious and dangerous issues with her brothers being married.  That is SICK, and when it filters down into involving children, it gets even more intolerable.

Sometimes you just have to cut people loose, even if they are family.  When it is a destructive situation and isn't getting any better, why subject yourself, your family, your children, etc... to that sort of thing? 

My MIL LOVES to play victim, lie, manipulate, etc...  I.E. in the one conversation I've had with my husband's parents this year, I told them that I felt like they were telling the truth when they said they missed my husband and child, but had my doubts that could really care less if I was around or not.  Of course, they VEHEMENTLY denied that!  Well, lo and behold, what does she do?  If I send photos of the grandbaby, she doesn't even acknowledge that she got them.  She has done it not once, but twice.  The first time, I even sent an email from my husband's account to see if she got them days later!  Right on cue, she replied immediately, thanking him and letting him know how cute he is and how big he's gotten, yada yada yada.  She knew DARN WELL that I'm the one that sent them.  I put them on a CD with a cute little cover that I made and included it with the thank you note for the birthday card they sent me. (Even I acknowledge when THEY do something!)

The next time I sent out photos, it was of his first haircut.  I don't expect every single person to reply.  But, since photos is really all she ever sees of him, you would THINK she'd be grateful.  At the very least she could write "got the pics, thanks."  As predicted, nearly 3 weeks later, I've heard nothing.

So, you start to think to yourself... "Maybe I'm imagining this.  Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out this than it really is."  So, I asked my husband to send some photos of our recent vacation.  Everything in my gut told me that she would reply, and probably even the same day.  Well, she replied and thanked him at 11:57 pm!!! 

I don't really care if she likes me or not.  She has made it abundantly clear that she does not.  But, at least be honest when someone calls you on it.  Why sit there with some pathetic, whiny look on your face and do everything you can to PRETEND that you're so broken up about this when everything you do shows that just isn't the case. 

My husband doesn't go visit them either.  He doesn't call them.  He doesn't make any more of an effort to see them than I do.  (Can't say that I blame him!)  So, why do they only dislike me?  Come to think of it, I think in a situation like this I would be more upset with my own child!  I would wonder why he just didn't come spend time with the family by himself.  I know it's because they blame me.  Whatever!  They refuse to accept the fact that he doesn't want to spend time with them any more than I do. 

Both of his brothers are divorced.  The sad truth is, I feel like they would be happier if all three of them were divorced!

August 27, 2008, 10:31 am CDT

MIL sounds like my SIL

Quote From: kbm2008

Sometimes you just have to cut people loose, even if they are family.  When it is a destructive situation and isn't getting any better, why subject yourself, your family, your children, etc... to that sort of thing? 

My MIL LOVES to play victim, lie, manipulate, etc...  I.E. in the one conversation I've had with my husband's parents this year, I told them that I felt like they were telling the truth when they said they missed my husband and child, but had my doubts that could really care less if I was around or not.  Of course, they VEHEMENTLY denied that!  Well, lo and behold, what does she do?  If I send photos of the grandbaby, she doesn't even acknowledge that she got them.  She has done it not once, but twice.  The first time, I even sent an email from my husband's account to see if she got them days later!  Right on cue, she replied immediately, thanking him and letting him know how cute he is and how big he's gotten, yada yada yada.  She knew DARN WELL that I'm the one that sent them.  I put them on a CD with a cute little cover that I made and included it with the thank you note for the birthday card they sent me. (Even I acknowledge when THEY do something!)

The next time I sent out photos, it was of his first haircut.  I don't expect every single person to reply.  But, since photos is really all she ever sees of him, you would THINK she'd be grateful.  At the very least she could write "got the pics, thanks."  As predicted, nearly 3 weeks later, I've heard nothing.

So, you start to think to yourself... "Maybe I'm imagining this.  Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out this than it really is."  So, I asked my husband to send some photos of our recent vacation.  Everything in my gut told me that she would reply, and probably even the same day.  Well, she replied and thanked him at 11:57 pm!!! 

I don't really care if she likes me or not.  She has made it abundantly clear that she does not.  But, at least be honest when someone calls you on it.  Why sit there with some pathetic, whiny look on your face and do everything you can to PRETEND that you're so broken up about this when everything you do shows that just isn't the case. 

My husband doesn't go visit them either.  He doesn't call them.  He doesn't make any more of an effort to see them than I do.  (Can't say that I blame him!)  So, why do they only dislike me?  Come to think of it, I think in a situation like this I would be more upset with my own child!  I would wonder why he just didn't come spend time with the family by himself.  I know it's because they blame me.  Whatever!  They refuse to accept the fact that he doesn't want to spend time with them any more than I do. 

Both of his brothers are divorced.  The sad truth is, I feel like they would be happier if all three of them were divorced!

"Maybe I'm imaging this"!  If you knew HOW many times I have said that to myself...moreso, in the earlier years, but it hit me that you have thought the same thing!  THAT, is what these people do...make you start to doubt yourself.  For whatever reason, they are very good at what they do.  Guess everyone has to excell at something!

I cut it off.  I agree with you that some in-laws have this possessive illness as to where they really would like to see their kids divorced, rather than to be happy, have families, and make good lives with their partners. 

How much effort CAN you make?  At first, yes, we think it could be us...then, you get really angry...I think THAT is what they try to accomplish.  Then, you get BEYOND angry, and hey, we're all human...so we say things out of this anger, frustration, hurt and really feeling helpless.  Once you do that (I did) now THEY become the VICTIM...their ultimate goal.  They hate it if you cool off, and try to make it work...trust me, it gets worse as they push more buttons.  Finally, like I did, people just give up.  You cut them out...and hope your life is peaceful.  I had to laugh...I live 5 minutes from her (damn it), so even though I was married at a very young age, which she knows, and am no where near the 60 year mark...I met a friend of hers, an acquaintance of mine, who gave me this "compliment".  My "facelift" looks great and you'd never know that I'm 60.  I was in shock..just smiled and asked who told her that?  Guess who?  So, on the line, in the supermarket, I took out my driver's license and showed it to this woman...saw in living color...50 is still a few years away.  Don't think I wasn't STEAMED, but to think she'll ever stop...no, I'm not that naive.

September 9, 2008, 12:54 am CDT

It is hard when family turns against itself

Quote From: kriss3033

It's only my brother and I. I have been married for 16 years and have two kids 14 and 12. My brother their only uncle has been a big part of thier lives since they were born. My brother married in his late twenties close to thirties. My brother never dated much in his young adult life he focused on becoming successful which he has. The girl he married was "experienced" hopefully that makes sense. I knew in my heart that something wasn't right she isn't  a good person. She had and still has many family issues of her own that are just crazy!  She can't keep friends and she also put herself through college to become a teacher and only stayed in the teaching field for a few years due to not getting along with others students and staff.Anyway, they got married my kids were not in their wedding and I held my head high! I made the decision that I could either be miserable and not have much of a relationship with my brother or make a DECISION to go out of my way to make this person feel special and welcomed into our family. For close to three years that was what I did , and my husband.. My brother has a beautiful baby girl they made us the God parents. Everything on the surface seemed ok but I knew that it wasn't. No matter what you do, you cant please this girl. She takes offense to almost EVERYTHING! She has brought out anger in my brother that I have never seen before. I can see that he is not happy but is caged. I dont mean to sound negative but I can bet money on it that within the next couple of years she will cheat on him. She's demading and need constant attention! My brother lost ALL of his friends including his best friend. Close to a year ago, I had a disagreement with my brother that has NOTHING to do with his wife. She took the opportunity to stir the pot and cause a lot of trouble bringing my mother into the mix. My mothet knits the baby clothes and is very good to her. For example when my sister in law is in a "mood" she'll tell my mom to shove the sweater she made up her a% she'll have my brother tell my mom that they will not be excepting gifts from them nor extended family anymore. My mom bought my sister inlaw a diamond and ruby braclet for her 30th bday and the girl told my mom she didn;t want it but took it later when her mood changed. My brother and I haven't spoken since september. I sent him a positive email back in January and his response although sent by him, I knew it wasn't his thoughts and words  it was hers. I lost 15 pounds and have experienced much pain  and emotional stress. All I have is my brother and all he has is me. A few months back, I put all feelings aside and wrote a heartfelt letter to both of them. I shared it with my therapist/doctor who is helping me cope with this loss. The letter was 100% written with love. No accusations no negativity! My therapist read it before I mailed it because I wanted it to be perfect. In turn when they got the letter my brother called my mom in a rage I honesty dont know why but that night  at 11:30 pm I got a call from my dad that something was wrong with mom. My mom has had a very rough life loosing her mom to a drunk driver at age 18 and then history repeating it 'self again when my moms sisters daughter was in a car accident killing her only daughter  age 3 and my cousin suffering from multiple injuries including a broken neck. I got to my moms and she was in bed swaying back and forth asking for her mom. She was distraught and I had never been so scared! Apparently, my brother had called and told my mom that she couldn't give the baby things and just went on one of his rages! He is not the same person we knew. I took my mom to the doctor and she is currently being treated for depression and anxiety. Although, I can't fully blame my moms condition on my sister in law, she's a big part of it.. I also gave my dad a retirement party and invited my brother and his family and in turn he called my mother again flipping out saying that the only reason we were giving my dad a party was to p*& them off and that my invitation wasn't sincere. A few days later I sent him a brief email to both him and my sister in law stating that they will always be welcomed and we would be thinking of him on that day. My sister in law has only a1 brother and he is married. her brother lives in another state and barely has a relationship with her and her brothers wife, doesn't care much for her either. My siter in laws mom is in a terrible abusive relationship so she has been flip flopping living back and forth at my brothers house. Interesting  part of it  is, is that it is not my brother that complains that her mom lives there it's my sister in law who one minute begs her mom to move in with them and then weeks later says she needs her space and just cant cope! My SISTER IN LAW has told me that she needs a lot of attention. We can clearly see that at times she feels threatened by her own baby.  This soubds strange but very true. Anytime someone else interacted with the baby my sister in law would immediatly grab the baby and say things like " this is my baby". My sister in law would get upset and offendd if the baby wanted to stay at my moms instead of going home after visiting with my parents. The "baby is now close to age2. My therapist has told me that although daughter/sister in law problems are common this situation just tops the cake. My therapist/doctor has told me that there is actually a disorder out there where a persons goal is always wanting to cause conflict and pain my wording "DRAMA" What hurts the most is how my brother refuses to speak or communicate with my kids who are teens now so they can recognize and feel the pain and rejection he has demonstated to them. I begged my brother to please call the kids they have cell phones and a private line in the house and he told me F you.. That is what has hurt me the most because nobody wants to see their kids hurt! I miss my neice but thank God she is a baby and that I really dont know her, If this happened and she was 5 or 6 and we were cut out it would have broken my heart. My brother will not go to any family functions if I am there. HE REFUSED TO VISIT MY MOM ON MOTHERS DAY! My mom even asked if my Donna felt uncomfortable for just him to come for an hour but as my brother says "WE COME AS A PACKAGE" I think we would be the first family that DOCTOR PHIL couldn't  be able to help. Honest to God, my therapist who is a psycologist is at a point where she doesn;t know what to say anymore except that as long as I know what I am trying to do the right thing then thats all that matters on my part! Deep inside I just cant stand this girl. I have been so good to her and put all feelings aside in the beginning and went in with a positive attitude. Even by some miracle if this family reconciled it would be like walking on egg shells being accused every time we see them that I gave a certain look or said something the wrong way. What do you do when a person takes offense to literally everything?? For THOSE of you who are still reading this, THANK YOU I needed a place to vent.. You would think after the loss we have had in my family that my brother would see and feel that life is just way too short. I am moving on and am at peace after making many efforts and will continue to when i have holidays here etc but what do you do??My mother is besides herself. I feel bad for her . She;s got two children thats it.. She has spoken with my sister in law and has begged to get this out and in the open and my sister in laws response is that all I want meaning ( Me) is a relationship with my brother and thier daughter) It's always an accuse.. It's what about me what about me what about me.. They say that there is always good and a lesson that comes out of everything. Its true. As a result of this mess, I have become closer with my  mother and I was also able to get her to a mental heath care provider to treat the depression and get her on the meds she needed to be on. BUT no meds, therapy could take away or get rid of the emptiness you feel in your heart. Once agian thank you for reading and God Bless you all and all of the issues that you may be going through thats why I am on here!

In our family there is my mom, my brother and me.  My Dad has passed away awhile ago.  I am not married.  My brother married SIL and they have two young children.  Not that this matters, but Brother and SIL are both the “baby” of their respective families.  The problem is that you can not have an adult conversation with either the Brother or SIL as they immediately become defensive and/or slighted and the conversation then becomes all about them, of how much they have done, how hard they work, how much more stress they have in their life then you have, poor us, etc.  So like the other people on this topic, if I can express my frustration and hurt and get it all out, maybe I will feel a little bit better.

Ever since my Dad passed away, I have been told by my brother that I am not welcome in the Family, that he is the only one that does anything for the Family, and then I get the “beatitudes according to Dad” to guilt either my Mom or myself in doing things his way such as “Dad would have wanted this..”  “Dad really loved doing this, therefore..”  He is the only one in the family that will throw this in someone’s face so he gets what he wants.  Otherwise, you are “imposing your will” if you disagree.

Of the many examples of their actions:

Personal Affects: When Dad died, my brother felt that he could use Dad’s boat whenever he wanted to, like it was an extension of himself and his for the taking.  When Mom sold it, he was angry that it was taken away from him – yet he never offered to buy it from her.  He did this with the skidoo as well.  As part of his inheritance, he received ½ the farmland; I received the truck.  He was more upset that I had actually received anything as apparently, as per his actions, everything was to go to him.  Every time I went home in the following years, all I would hear is that “you should give/sell the truck to me”.  What’s wrong with this picture – I received something not even worth $10,000 (but a lot of personal value to me) and he was upset after having receiving # of quarters of land worth a lot more.

Free Rent:  Brother decided that they would move to the farm from the City (2 hours away).  To date, Mom still has the other ½ of the land; my brother has not made any plans to buy her out.  Based on his actions, I think he is just expecting it to be given to him even though this would help Mom’s retirement.  When they moved, they both decided they did not want the farmhouse so built new.  House was not done in time, so I was asked if SIL and kids could live with me in the City until it was ready.  The other reason for her to stay in the City was that SIL would not have a comparable job once they moved back to the farm.  So, Brother figured it would be better for her to keep her job in the City while the house was being completed [he had secured a job off the farm that started right away and would live with Mom, rent-free, until the house was completed].  This temporarily situation was supposed to be 3 months – it turned into 6.  At the time, I was working full-time and studying for professional exams in the evenings but I made room for them so they could be comfortable.  I never charged them rent but indicated that she would have to pay for her LD calls.    I should mention that while she was living with me, her company underwent a reorganization and long-term employees were rewarded with a $1000 for each year they worked there – she received $10,000 (had she left in 3 months, she would not have received -0-).  After the house was finished, they decided that the money earned by SIL was a good thing and that she should continue working in the City for another 3 months.  They were making these plans but did not feel it necessary to even ask me if she could stay.  My brother’s argument was that, since they were paying “rent”, this should not be a big deal – but he immediately started to sulk when I pointed out that they were not paying rent and, not that I minded helping out, but my understanding of this arrangement was that it was a temporary thing.  Plus I was in the middle of my professional courses that I needed to focus on.  He went off in a huff.  SIL then tried to rent an apartment and soon realized this could only be done with a minimum 6 month lease.  So SIL (not Brother) came back to me to “ask” if she could stay for a little while longer.  This time the kids went to the farm and stayed with my brother.  After a month, SIL decided that the work thing was not worth it as she missed being away from the kids.  When they left I did not receive one word of thanks by either.

Everything for family – My paternal grandparents live in the City.  My grandpa was diagnosed with cancer and is in palliative care.  I am the only one in the City so every week, I have helped settle my grandpa, bring him interesting things to look at or eat or read as he is bedridden, deal with the healthcare system, take my grandma to see him and ensure she is getting enough groceries and that she is coping.   When this started, Brother’s comments were that “someone” should look after them.  I think he has been in twice in 3 months to see them – but not once did he make time during his two weeks vacation or on the weekends when they are only 2 hours away.  So he feels he is in a position to dictate what others should or should not do but he is not willing to do it himself. 

Family cabin - which is owned by Mom.  The cabin is small and can only hold 4 people comfortably.  Any booking was to go through Mom.  For the past 10 years, Brother and SIL have commandeered the last two weeks of July (which coincidentally always has the best weather).  They have never once rotated to allow someone else a turn during these two weeks.  So, other family members have to book around them. I typically book one week at the beginning of July (to be able to get some good weather) and my second week in August. 

Brother and SIL decided to come out on the Fri-Sat-Sun at the start of my holiday and Fri-Sat-Sun at the end of my week.  Additionally, they decided to dump off the kids without asking if we wanted to take them.  Our holiday was further cut short when the oldest child became homesick & wanted to go home.  Summary: I received 3 days of my two weeks that summer; they had >20 days.  When I confronted them and said that I was not happy with what had occurred during my holiday, they both had a conniption and they felt I was the one imposing my will.  The immediate responses I received from both of them for even suggesting a solution (like a schedule) was:

-         Brother: You are not welcome in this Family  [presumably for imposing my will?]

-         Brother: You hate our family  [presumably for not letting them have the cabin absolutely for their 2 weeks plus every weekend during the summer?]

-         Brother: We consider this family time.  SIL stated that the kids only wanted to get to know me better [there are 52 weeks in the year where there is plenty of opportunity to ask me to a family event, even though I am out of town, to such things as school play, church function, birthday party, etc.  Number of invites = -0-.  And if this was so important to them, there has never been a family get-together planned during their two weeks.  “Familytime” only occurs during my holiday time - at the Lake]

-         SIL response to my cabin issues was that I abuse their kids everytime I am with them and it wasn’t the kids fault for shortening my holiday 

-         Brother threatened to pull out his boat (he finally bought his own) and the dock.  Also told Mom he would refuse to do any “free labour” on the cabin if not get his way.  [No one uses his boat but it is being held over everyone’s head; the dock was a joint purchase by all three of us even though neither myself or Mom have a boat; and everyone contributes to the maintenance of the cabin in some form -  he is the only one keeping score – sense of entitlement]

-         SIL said they did not know I was going to be out there (so they bypassed asking the owner of the cabin if they could use)

-         SIL considered my action a slap in her face (as she felt she had a right to our family’s cabin and dictate how I should enjoy or spend my holiday)

-         I brought out a new fridge for the cabin that summer.  SIL comment was that it was a “good thing” they were out there to bring it into the cabin.  The fact that I had to load the fridge myself in the City and bring it out by myself was totally lost on her.  [matrydom – if I were to apply her logic, then it must have been a good thing she had a place to stay earlier in order to receive her $10K, rent-free]

We have not spoken nor seen one another for over a year now.  I continue to send birthday/Christmas gifts and receive no acknowledgement.  I miss my nieces; I miss the way it used to be.   I just can't fathom how people can who use their kids as leverage to get their own way.

Since Dad died, everything seems to have fallen apart.  We used to have a lot of fun as a family.  I thought we became a lot closer when we tried to be there for Mom after Dad died.  Now, my Mom seems to just bury her head in the sand where Brother is concerned.  I feel as if I have lost both a Dad and a Mom, and now have no desire in coming home as I am not happy to be around them.  If I was not in the Family, as Brother wants, he could then have everything and maybe then he would be happy.  How do you act like a “hero” when all that person(s) does is take advantage of you?  How can you even communicate when everything you say or do is thrown back in your face and taken as some sort of personal insult?  I emphathise with kriss3033's situation as written above and applaud your inner strength.  Perhaps I can take something from what you said & I try to be there for my Mom at least too. 

November 5, 2008, 12:04 pm CST

I have one too!

I have a soon to be SIL that is horrible. She is nasty and tries her best to drive wedges in the family. I've always been nice to her and have supported her and my brother. I've listened to her rant about other family members, even including her own. I've had nothing but nice things to say to her, but she has really shown her true colors right before this impromptu wedding. She got all pissy with me because I had to miss her bridal shower and I wasn't "involved" in her last minute wedding. I have 4 young children and my husband is back in school and we are struggling with the economy (my husband is in the real estate business) I've had to create a creative/strict budget in order for us to get by, I let her know that this was part of why I couldn't come, I could only budget one gift and one event and I thought it would've been the better choice to choose the wedding to go to. Anyway, I also got sick that weekend too, so I though it would be polite not to go. As far as the planning goes, she called me on a Friday that she was going to have a meeting on Sat, I let her know that I couldn't come on such short notice, my son had a football game and I even told her to let me know if I could do anything for her, we couldn't commit to a lot because of all our outer circumstances, but I would help where I could. Well, never got a call or email from her telling me she would like help with anything, so I left it alone. Of course now she holds that against me and she has taken what I told her was going on with us (my hub and I) and turned it around to say we were making rude remarks about her and my brother. Which is so untrue, we were actually talking about ourselves and I even was the bigger person and apologized even though I really didn't do anything to them. Anyway, she has now turned him against us like she turned him against my uncle and tried to turn us against my uncle before all this hit the fan. Needless to say I can say with how she has slung mud at us and has acted over her stupid misunderstanding, not to mention the bossing around of my brother that she constantly does, she even has beat him down to where he thinks she is smarter than he and that he can't do anything without her help- lets me think he is making a huge mistake in marrying her and well I don't see it lasting but so long. Statistics aren't very good for "high school sweethearts." And in this case I hope those statistics are right, because she is going to make his life miserable, not to mention she will try to hurt everyone else in the family by cutting them out one by one until all he has is her.

First | Prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | Next Page | Last Page