Message Boards

Topic : 08/20 Sister-in-Law from Hell

Number of Replies: 296
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 09, 2008, 03:52:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/12/08) They say when you marry, you marry the whole family. But what happens when a member of your new extended family is the source of chaos and pain? Five relatives claim their sister-in-law, Kelly, is toxic. They say she spreads gossip, sends stalking e-mails and acts self-centered and psychotic. Kelly’s father-in-law, Austin, calls her The Destroyer and says she’s hell-bent on ruining the relationship between his sons, Tim and Greg, and her husband, Bill. Kelly believes she’s being unfairly targeted because she showed up in court as a witness for Greg’s ex-wife. The outspoken sister-in-law may have ruffled some feathers, but is she the only one at fault? Find out why her friend, Jennifer, feels Kelly is getting a bad rap. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have someone that is toxic to your family? Tell us!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 12, 2008, 1:45 pm CDT

05/12 Sister-in-Law from Hell?

Quote From: dizzyloo

Israel and Hezbollah have a better chance of attaining peace.

Yeah, I think you nailed this one! Too many mouths moving at the speed of light and no one listening at the speed of sound!!

May 12, 2008, 1:53 pm CDT

To Kelly. .

Hey Kelly- You have to do all that you can to maintain a healthy relationship with your in-laws.  These people are your sons. . aunts, uncles and grandparents.  Whether you like them or not, or they like you - you all need to try your best to make it a nice happy family - if nothing else - think of your son.  These people will always be your husbands family.  That will never change!  I don't know who is right or wrong. . it doesn't matter.  You can't change yesterday, but you can change NOW. . TODAY!!!  Oh, and cover up at family functions.  Obviously from watching the show they don't want to see you half dressed (lol). 

Life is too short to be mean or start trouble.  Even if you haven't done the things you are accused of, then take the low place and put a smile on your face.  Life would be easier for everyone.  Including your husband who is stuck between this.

May 12, 2008, 1:59 pm CDT

Thanks for asking

Quote From: awardcyw

Hi Kelly
kbm2008, I noticed you were posting and wanted to ask you a few questions. I am asking this respectfully so please don't take offence to this:
Do you feel that anything was resolved by being on the show? Do you feel any better about the situation now? 
Do you worry that this will cause problems with your husband later on (because you & your family aren't participating in family functions now?
Thanks in advance.

Absolutely no offense taken!  Thanks for asking.  There was so little time to "air" everything that has gone on.

I was initially hesitant to appear, but figured I have dealt with this stuff for 19 years since I've been with my husband, so - let them get in off their chests and move on.  I guess what I feel better about is that there is some sort of resolution, even if it was not what I/we had hoped for. 

I used to worry that there would be a time that problems may arise between my husband and I, but not any more.  He has been so incredibly supportive - he's AMAZING!

Becoming parents has totally changed our perspective things.  We have made so many changes in our lives because on our precious son.  We have even had to sever ties with some of our friends because they are not what we want him raised around.  Yes, we used to have some "pretty wild parties"  as Tim says.  But, they fail to mention, that was YEARS ago!

I'm not sure if you watched the show or not, but I was very hurt by some of the personal attacks made on me.  They picked every "nasty" photo of me they could find, like on vacation (at the beach) to say that I dress like a "hoochie mama."  I was asked to send in photos too, but only sent photos of my husband and I.  I did not go searching for things to make THEM look bad.

The comment about me posting on Tim's website to set up phony listing appointments is totally false, and over TWO years ago!!!  Besides, whoever did it used MY NAME!  If I was going to do it, wouldn't I have been smart enough to use a false identity?  Duh!  Especially if I didn't want them to know it was me.  Someone wanted it to look like it was me, and they did a great job.  They all fell for it. Hook, line, and sinker!

I'm not sure that anything will ever be better now.  I went in seriously desiring a relationship with my husband's parents.  I'm not even sure if I want that now.  They are the ones who initially called us about adopting our son.  For crying out loud, if I truly am the "spawn of Satan" that they are trying to make me out to be, don't you think they would have said, "Hey, thanks for thinking of them, but she's crazy.  I don't think she'd be a very good mother." ?

I know I should forgive, forget, move on - that is the right, Christian thing to do.  But, how do I?  How do ever fix a situation where someone was humiliated in front of MILLIONS of people?  How is that ever made right again?

I saw your earlier post saying that the children should know their families.  I used to agree with that.  Now, I'm not so sure.  I keep asking myself, "What kind of person does this to their own children on national tv?"  Especially when these things have NEVER been brought to my attention.  No one has ever said they think I dress inappropriately or like to show off my "ta-tas" (which incidentally have been REDUCED!)  Something is not right with someone who thinks this is the correct forum to do this.  They were out to get me from the get-go.  My MIL was even overheard saying "You go Dr Phil.  You tell her!"  throughout the entire show!

In an effort to at least try to compromise, I sent an email to the MIL explaining that if she wanted to see our son, "I respectfully ask that you do it here at our home."  I got no response whatsoever.  It obviously isn't that important to her if she can't have him on her terms.  They have skulked around our house at midnight, hanging Easter gifts for him on our front door, in an effort to avoid seeing me.  Does that sound even remotely normal to you?  I have said before, I feel like it is my duty to protect him from people who are not a good influence, ESPECIALLY since he is adopted. Someone else entrusted to raise their child and raise him right.  If that means I have to protect him from members of his own family, so be it.

No one in the family has approached my husband or myself (probably because they KNOW not to mess with me right  now!) in an effort to talk about this or resolve anything.  It was not OUR idea to do the show in the first place.  On one occasion, the FIL told my husband he would like to sit and talk to him sometime, if he (my husband) was willing.  My husband said he would love to talk to him.  That was March 1st.  My husband has never heard from him again.  So, you see, they say they "try"  but they don't even follow through with their own requests!

I hope you found some of this helpful.  If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.  I will be checking regularly to see what people have to say.

BTW, I haven't even seen the show yet.  It won't be on here for another 5 hours!  Can't wait to see what it looks like on tv!

May 12, 2008, 2:02 pm CDT

Sister in law from HELL

If my sister in law were as determental to the family as that girl appears I would be gratful that she would not include herself in the family get to gethers.  Why would anyone want to be around her.  She is only interested in herself.  When she appeared in court and her comment was "it was the right thing to do". NEVER when it comes to the family do you take sides.  I think they are lucky to be rid of her.

May 12, 2008, 2:02 pm CDT

I was there and I'm surprised he didn't!

Quote From: areyouthere

IF I WAS DR. PHIL I WOULD HAVE HAD TO GET UP & WALKED OFF THE STAGE. BECAUSE NO BUDDY LISTENED TO DR. PHIL TODAY AT ALL!!!!!!!!!

I AM the SIL from hell and I can't believe he let the yelling and screaming go on as long as he did!

May 12, 2008, 2:04 pm CDT

I'm not sure....

Quote From: ramair

Greg seemed the most willing to reconcile with you and Bill. At least according to Dr Phil! Was Greg being sincere?
I agree, he did seem to be the most sincere, but I'm not sure if it was genuine or not.  Neither one of us has heard from anyone in the family since the taping 3 months ago, except for one sibling who wasn't on the show!

May 12, 2008, 2:06 pm CDT

05/12 Sister-in-Law from Hell?

kbm2008  I wish we could talk...when i first started watching the show today I was in another room and could only hear what was going on and I thought for a minute that it was my family on.  I swear it was like watching myself.  Don't feel alone, I am in your boat and have been for 25 years. 

May 12, 2008, 2:06 pm CDT

I agree with you!

Quote From: cndrlla

Oh good Lord!! I have never seen such a bunch of squabbling, screeching pecking crows all in one place in my life!

Absolutely nothing got accomplished, as far as I could see, and it was a total waste of time.  My time would have been better spent cleaning my bathroom....and I HATE cleaning my bathroom!

(I wonder who cleaned up all the feathers and fur off that stage when everyone left!?)

I AM the SIL from hell on the show.  I thought for sure they wouldn't air it after it was all said and done.  NOTHING was accomplished, good or bad.  I thought they would cancel the airing because there would be no point in showing it.  I'm sorry you wasted an hour watching it.  You're right, you probably would have been better off cleaning your bathroom!

May 12, 2008, 2:12 pm CDT

Kelly's court appearance

Quote From: micaly27

Thing that was missed here--Greg's wife was also a FAMILY member!! She was going to court on behalf of a family member, not a stranger. Yes, it was against Greg, another family member. But it wasn't to support a stranger. His wife and children are also members of the family. Divorce doesn't change that, and they weren't even divorced yet anyway.

I also commend her for being willing to testify for the wife against Greg when the issue at hand was his excessive drinking and erratic behavior. She did the right thing. I've had alcoholism in my family and have seen the havoc it causes, especially for children. Nobody should turn a blind eye to that.

If Greg was abusing his wife, then:

A. Kelly did the right thing to stand up for her. 

B. The family is closing ranks around an abuser.

However, it was difficult to figure out what was going on in that family with all the verbal abuse being bantered about. 

May 12, 2008, 2:12 pm CDT

With all due respect...

Quote From: show_mercy

Hey Kelly- You have to do all that you can to maintain a healthy relationship with your in-laws.  These people are your sons. . aunts, uncles and grandparents.  Whether you like them or not, or they like you - you all need to try your best to make it a nice happy family - if nothing else - think of your son.  These people will always be your husbands family.  That will never change!  I don't know who is right or wrong. . it doesn't matter.  You can't change yesterday, but you can change NOW. . TODAY!!!  Oh, and cover up at family functions.  Obviously from watching the show they don't want to see you half dressed (lol). 

Life is too short to be mean or start trouble.  Even if you haven't done the things you are accused of, then take the low place and put a smile on your face.  Life would be easier for everyone.  Including your husband who is stuck between this.

No one has made an effort even to contact my husband following all of this.  It is not a big priority for him, because he agrees with me.  We have to look out for our son.  We cannot have him around unpredictable, rageaholic alcholics!

There's so much more to this story than anyone will ever know!  You couldn't even cover it in a week!

BTW, no one has ever approached me about the way I dress and claimed that it was a problem - they saved it for NATIONAL TV!  Does that seem fair?  When my husband and I decided the Greg's behavior was no longer safe for our child to be around, I went to his door, approached him personally and addressed the issue.  I let him know face to face that he was no longer welcome around our child or home until some changes were made.  Don't you think I deserved the same respect?

And for the pics - I was asked to send some in too.  But, I didn't go searching for every nasty photo I could find to make them look bad.  I have plenty I could have shared but didn't.  They want to take photos of me in a bathing suit on vacation, or whatever, to make their point (I don't know because I didn't look during the taping and the show hasn't aired here yet).  That's just kind of pathetic.  I have plenty of pics of Greg with a beer in hand a glazed look on his face - I didn't feel the need to share THOSE with the world!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last