Message Boards

Topic : 08/13 Babysitter Gone Bad

Number of Replies: 211
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 09, 2008, 03:54:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/13/08) She was the most sought-after nanny in her neighborhood. Moms trusted her, and kids adored her. But Stephanie, 23, has been hiding a secret for two years: She’s addicted to crack and heroin. Stephanie’s mother, Kim, says she’s tried everything to help her daughter, but “when does a child listen to a parent?” Dr. Phil has some hard questions for Kim. Is she a bad influence on her addicted daughter? Joani, a former addict and guest, caught shocking evidence on videotape. Then, who does Stephanie think is partly responsible for her downward spiral? An absent father, a devoted best friend, an incarcerated boyfriend and two former employers  -- Stephanie hears from them all. Will this be the wake-up call she needs to enter rehab? Plus, when former guest and heroin addict, Sarah, shares her recovery story, will it inspire Stephanie to change her life before her addiction kills her?  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

If you or a loved one has an addiction, find support here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 13, 2008, 12:56 pm CDT

GET HELP STEPHANIE!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE

I feel sorry for this girl. Shes a drug addict. I could play psychologist and guess why shes into drugs. But she has to get help to figure that out. But first things first. She has to get help for her addiction. First off Stephanie, your letting your father run your life into the ground. Thats part of the reason why you take drugs. NO ONE is that important to be ruining your life over. Please get some help and try and figure out why your hooked on drugs. I really wish you the best in life. But your the only one that can straighten it out. GET HELP to figure why your life ended up this way. Because it doesn't have to be this way. GOOD LUCK HONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    your worth more then this!!!!!! 

May 13, 2008, 12:59 pm CDT

crying

I am crying while i watch this show today...partly b/c dr. phil is so powerful in his message to help this woman recover...she absolutely must get rid of her boyfriend if she wants to recover unless he decides to go into a rehab program as well...you have to want to change and if you don't Really want to you never will with all the help in the world...

Her friend who has stuck by her who is absolutely stunning by the way...needs to dump her temporarely also until she changes her life...

I am appauled by the smug smirk on the mothers face throughout the whole show...disgusting...she is clearly embarassed b/c she well knows she is partially to blame for her daughters addictions...even allowing her to stay in her home and use at the same time is abedding her...who is the parent here...and what in the hell is she doing married to a 26 yr old slug like that...clearly the mother doesn't think highly of herself also being married 4 times and presently to someone clearly not suitable...

May 13, 2008, 1:06 pm CDT

Good friend

Quote From: sarasantiques

My best friend in high school died from shooting up.  She was just like the girl on the show.  She was very smart and scored almost a perfect score on the sats. Her mother had passed away when she was a child which always upset her.  Her father was a Social worker.  She was 27 when she o'd.  I went to her funeral and the older boyfriend and his friends were there.  I wrote their license plates down.  I investigated her death and when I told the police they said no one reported Valeries death.  They said usually the hospital calls it in.  The police did find out that Valerie died from drugs, but by then it was to late to arrest anyone.  There is currently an investigation, but it still kills me that I couldnt stop the inevitable.  I visit Valerie very often. 
Wow. Your post made me cry. I can tell how much you cared for your friend and I am so sorry that she has passed.
Good for you for speaking with the police. You are a very upstanding friend and citizen. I think it is wonderful that you visit Valerie and I really believe that she is watching over you. Please do not feel guilty about her death.... I am sure she would not want you to blame yourself.

May 13, 2008, 1:10 pm CDT

babysitter gone bad

This is the reason that people need to get a background check, so they will be aware of who they are leaving there children with, right now with the way things are going in this world, it is very very important  that we know who we are dealing with, not by reputation but facts.  half of the world is on some type of drugs these days, you can't trust anyone, and when it comes to your children you need to be extra careful.

May 13, 2008, 1:12 pm CDT

Kim

If I were Kim, I would be ashamed of myself. That smug grin she had on her face just made my blood boil. Your daughter is dying in front of you and you think it's something to smile about??! What an inappropriate affect for this situation. I do not even know Stephanie and I was wiping the tears from my eyes....  how can you sit there and smile?

I hope that Stephanie gets the help she needs. I can't say how happy I was to see that Stephanie was excited to go to treatment. She is a stunning girl (as is her friend) and I think she has a bright future ahead of her if she gets treatment.

GO STEPHANIE!!! You can do it!

May 13, 2008, 1:17 pm CDT

Just wanted to say

Quote From: kelleigh

this girl is your typical addict. she appears to be a victim at all turns and blames some unseen "devil" rather than accept responsibility for her own actions. as for shooting suboxone (she mentioned doing so at the beginning of the show) i can tell you personally that you CANNOT shoot this drug!! it is used to help opiate dependant people maintain sobriety. it is a sublingual tablet which means you let it disolve under your tongue. it must be taken this way. shooting this drug will cause immediate withdrawel and possibly send the person taking it to the ER. so i guess what i m trying to say here is this girl started out lying to Dr. Phil. i don't know what the doctor knows about suboxone but i have to tell you i was coming out of my skin when this girl shrugged of "shooting" suboxone! this is a drug that i am currently taking, not abusing and thanks to it and a healthy life plan and therapy i have been sober for over a year. i am offended when i hear of someone abusing this drug. it is for these reasons it has become so difficult to find a dr. willing to prescribe it and get the proper certification required to take on and keep patients such as myself. opiate dependancy is very ugly but it's very possible to live a life free of drugs and the vicious cycles addicts so often find themselves repeating. this young woman even seems to take pride as she tells dr. phil that while she can take it and not feel high he would be "knocked on his butt" if he took it...come on!!! i sure hope dr. phil makes this girl get real before the end of the episode. that is what i love so much about the good dr after all. He makes you give it to him straight but so far she seems to be getting away with being a victim and making light of a rather serious issue. as i close this post this girl is STILL laughing!!! why are these people sitting on that stage making light of this situation they are in??? the mother needs to be seperated from her daughter if she is to ever succeed, in my unprofessional opinion. she is an addict herself as well as an enabler.
I wanted to say congrats to you on being sober and doing what it takes to get better.  Pat yourself on the back for taking responsibility and getting yourself better.  Wishing you all the best,
~ A W
PS. The little one in your avatar/pic is adorable!!

May 13, 2008, 1:22 pm CDT

05/13 Babysitter Gone Bad

The mother is in denial and is a junkie herself and an alcoholic.  Come on, having perks and morphine in her purse??? I remember when I was in active addiction.  Did you notice her daughter's face when she found out her mom had morphine? she knows it would be a "great" thing to hit.

I have been clean and sober for a number of years and it was AA and NA that gave me have a healthy wonderful life.  I hope daughter and mother will start out by reading the Narcotics Anonymous book and the AA BIG Book. Any addict/alcoholic will think that these books were written for them. But being clean and sober does not mean one is well, it's only the beginning. Learning how to deal with life on life's terms

is amazing.

Yes, Dr. Phil was of course spot on though the "mom" was too "bandstand" out.  She was a typical addict/ alcoholic: denial justification and blaming people, places and things for addictions.

May 13, 2008, 1:40 pm CDT

To mom and daugher. .

To the mom- You need help, too!  If my daughter were up there I'd be crying and fighting like heck to get her help!  Not have a grin on my face - give her more alcohol and laugh.  Your daughter is SICK!!!  Be a MOM and not a friend to her!!!!  You snorted cocaine with your daughter and wonder why she is a mess right now!!!!  You had her - she is your responsibility!!!!  Can't believe there is woman who would kill to be a mom and you treat your DAUGHTER like a drug addict friend.  PLEASE get BOTH of you all HELP!!!  Stop partying with your young husband and be a MOM!!!!!!!!!!!  You need to reach out to God- repent- you can't change yesterday, but you can change today.  Learn from your mistakes and be a better person today.  It's not too late.  You can do it.  Please try - for you and your daughter.

To the daughter-  You are right - what you have is a devil in you.  There are spirits attached to people all over this world.  You need prayer and the help of God to deliver you!  You need a program that provides you help with not only your addiction, but with Christ as the center most important thing in your life!  Your body doesn't even belong to you - it belongs to Christ!  Your soul last forever in eternity!!!!  Your body is temporary - it will NOT last forever!  Your chooses now will reflect your soul FOREVER.  Don't sleep around and do drugs - that is abusing your body and robbing you of the joy you could be enjoying in this world and will jeopardize your eternal life.  Please reach out to Christ, honey.  He is the ONLY thing than can truly deliver you.  A woman in the bible had 7 devils on her and got delivered- you can too!  Don't be scared.  Know that you CAN do it!  You are still breathing for a reason.  Get it right for yourself and God before it is too late and you are not here.  I will be praying for you!  Don't look to your parents.  Look to Christ.  Let him be your Father!  Yes, this is coming from a preachers wife.  Even though I sound mean - I am saying all of this out of sincerity.  God Bless You!!!

May 13, 2008, 1:52 pm CDT

I CAN'T BELIVE IT

iF MY DAUGHTER CAME TO ME AND SAID SHE WAS GOING TO USE ANY DRUG I WOULD DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO STOP HER EVEN IF I HAD TO TIE HER UP!  WHAT IN THIS WORLD WAS THE MOTHER THINKING. I FEEL SORRY FOR HER DAUGHTER FOR NOT HAVE A PROPER ROLE MODLE TO BECAME A FUNCTING PRODUCTIVE ADULT. THIS MOTHER JUST  SAT THERE WITH A SMILE ON HER FACE WHILE HER DAUGHTER WAS CRYING FOR HELP.

May 13, 2008, 2:01 pm CDT

people, places and things

although stepanie looks like a good candidate, this not an illness to be conquered

by will alone. it take alot of hard work and a competent support system. as hard as it

may be, stepanie needs to start HER life over from scratch. rediscoverying herself

as someone who is special in way that pleases her. the only person who might be good

for her from her past may be her girlfriend who has been there for her in the true sense.

kim is her worst enemy, unfortunately this was the only model stephanie had in her life

to mimic, she needs to deal with her own life before she will ever be a comfort. what a

wonderful boyfiend, he needs to be kicked to the curb. as a former addict who has stayed

clean for nearly 8 years, this beautiful young woman needs to  brake the cycle of relationships

that have betrayed her. one more word of advice, finding something to sink your teeth in,

learning something new. when you learn to respect yourself, it becomes easier to

identify those who are disrespecting you............................................................tedm

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last