Message Boards

Topic : 08/13 Babysitter Gone Bad

Number of Replies: 211
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 09, 2008, 03:54:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/13/08) She was the most sought-after nanny in her neighborhood. Moms trusted her, and kids adored her. But Stephanie, 23, has been hiding a secret for two years: She’s addicted to crack and heroin. Stephanie’s mother, Kim, says she’s tried everything to help her daughter, but “when does a child listen to a parent?” Dr. Phil has some hard questions for Kim. Is she a bad influence on her addicted daughter? Joani, a former addict and guest, caught shocking evidence on videotape. Then, who does Stephanie think is partly responsible for her downward spiral? An absent father, a devoted best friend, an incarcerated boyfriend and two former employers  -- Stephanie hears from them all. Will this be the wake-up call she needs to enter rehab? Plus, when former guest and heroin addict, Sarah, shares her recovery story, will it inspire Stephanie to change her life before her addiction kills her?  Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

If you or a loved one has an addiction, find support here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 13, 2008, 2:04 pm CDT

Mommy Dearest!

Kim's mother is so in denial.  She has a problem as deep as her daughter's.  She never gave a straight answer to anything.  Who did she think she was kidding?  She even tried to prompt answers from her daughter!  I loved when she mentioned about the line of cocaine they did together...."is that what he is talking about?"  Like that is normal or that anyone made her do it!  Sheesh...

Also, she was trying to save face throughout the entire show.  What mother talks to their child about drugs, knows they are doing them, and allows them to go out anyway?  The only place my child would be going would be rehab! 

I had more of a problem with the mother than the poor woman who is a junkie.  At least the junkie knows that she needs help.  I hope that after her rehabilitation that she goes to visit her father and stays away from the toxic mother with the young husband.  (There must be more to that story too....just the eye contact between them when the mother didn't want to discuss that relationship lead me to believe so.)

What a sad state of affairs.  Hopefully the young woman will be successful and lead a productive life that she is so capable of leading.  She definitely seems bright enough.

May 13, 2008, 2:06 pm CDT

She CAN Get Help!

I remember when Sara and her sister were on the show in the Dr. Phil house and they were both in  pretty bad shape!  But seeing Sara today on the show was so uplifting.  It moved me to tears!  Stephanie CAN get help it is not to late!

However the mother seriously worries me the whole time she was on stage she had some sort of smerk on her face.  She did not take anything that Dr. Phil said seriously.  She needs to get a wake up call herself!

May 13, 2008, 2:14 pm CDT

Stephanie and mother kim Why??

KIM I WANT TO KNOW WHY WOULD YOU LET YOUR CHILD DO THIS FOR A MOTHER TO LET HER CHILD DO THIS AND YOU GIVE HER DRUGS WHY IN HELL WOULD YOU DO THIS?????????

FOR YOU STEPHANIE GET YOUR SELF SOME HELP AND DO NOT LET YOUR MOTHER GIVE YOU THE DRUGS YOU ARE A VERY PRETTY GIRL AND YOU NEED HELP BAD.

TAKE CARE AND GET THE HELP YOU NEED.

Breast Cancer Awareness Pin  Veterans Day

May 13, 2008, 2:21 pm CDT

Mom needs help also....

I just wanted to go through the TV and shake that mother!  She was in complete denial.  Hopefully the daughter will remain in treatment and get rid of that boyfriend of hers.  Maybe once she is able to get clean (and her mother) she can have a healthier relationship with both her parents.

May 13, 2008, 2:46 pm CDT

Your Worth It

To the beautiful babysitter.  You are worth it!  Listen to the professionals and keep putting one foot in front of the other.  I am a mother of a son who is 39 and hooked on crack and living in a homeless shelter.  I keep telling him I Love him and that he is worth it, also.  My heart goes out to you and I will keep you in my prayers.  I wish and pray everyday that Dr. Phil would help my son.  I have sent a few letter to him and all I can say is you are blessed to have Dr. Phil helping you.  Take advantage of every minute and count your blessings.

God bless you,

Sharon ( mother of an addicted son) 

P.S. Crack is definitely the devil's drug and it has robbed my son of his very being.

May 13, 2008, 2:50 pm CDT

Stephanie needs a new family...

While Stephanie is responsibility for her choices and consequences, I believe, in my heart, that parents need to instruct their children about good choices.  I daresay this young woman may have reared herself with very little sensible, stable, intelligent direction from her mother.  When kids "grow themselves up" they often fail. 

Mom is in denial, and doesn't seem to see the connection between Stephanie and the mother's own addictive behavior.  The look on Mom's face seems to be one of someone who really isn't taking this seriously.  As in many dynfunctional family situations, it seems to me that Mom just wants Stephanie to lie and not let Dr. Phil know how bad the Mom's influence has been on Stephanie.  Stephanie seems to be looking for love in all the wrong places, and drugs often satisfy that need in folks like Stephanie.   

There appears to be hope for Stephanie if she gets away from all the people, places and things that continue to bring her back to the unstable, toxic, addictive environment in which she has attempted to live.  She strikes me as being far too intelligent to choose drugs and failure.  Go to rehab, Stephanie, and get away from the sick people in your life.  Break the cycle of abuse and addiction so you can be free!!

May 13, 2008, 2:54 pm CDT

Identifying the Snake...

Quote From: theojaymes

although stepanie looks like a good candidate, this not an illness to be conquered

by will alone. it take alot of hard work and a competent support system. as hard as it

may be, stepanie needs to start HER life over from scratch. rediscoverying herself

as someone who is special in way that pleases her. the only person who might be good

for her from her past may be her girlfriend who has been there for her in the true sense.

kim is her worst enemy, unfortunately this was the only model stephanie had in her life

to mimic, she needs to deal with her own life before she will ever be a comfort. what a

wonderful boyfiend, he needs to be kicked to the curb. as a former addict who has stayed

clean for nearly 8 years, this beautiful young woman needs to  brake the cycle of relationships

that have betrayed her. one more word of advice, finding something to sink your teeth in,

learning something new. when you learn to respect yourself, it becomes easier to

identify those who are disrespecting you............................................................tedm

Absolutely!  It's all about people, places and things!  Healthy choices involve seeing a snake, knowing it's a snake, and crossing to the other side of the street.  Mom doesn't want Stephanie to get well because if Stephanie gets well, then Mom has to get well!!

May 13, 2008, 3:00 pm CDT

Naive

Stephanie is a beautiful person and I hope she reaizes that what she thinks she has with Devon is not love, it's part of her addiction. My God,he got her started on drugs and she thinks he's Mr. Wonderful. I don't give two cents for the mother, she's so into her self, her daughter really comes last. The father should not have shut her out of his life, he was actually the only one that I could see that could have really saved her. It's all so sad to see such a beautiful person lost in a drug world. It's going to take her alot to get through the rehab program and I don't see her completing it, but I hope I'm wrong. Good Luck Stephanie!

May 13, 2008, 3:01 pm CDT

Not all prescription drugs USERS are prescribtion drug ABUSERS

I totally agree with EVEYTHING I have read on this Board dealing with Stephanie's mother and her issues with substance abuse.  Something Dr. Phil DID NOT address that I feel NEEDS to be addressed EACH TIME he talks to someone using prescription medications is that NOT ALL PRESCRIPTION DRUG USERS ARE PRESCRIPTION DRUG ABUSERS!!

When the mother said she took a Xanax, she looked at Dr. Phil and apologized...like there is something WRONG with taking medications prescribed by a doctor for a LEGITIMATE medical/psychological problem.  Dr. Phil rattled off the mother's list of prescription medication - and he made it very clear that he felt she should not have those medications. 

NOW - it very well may be that this woman IS addicted to prescription drugs.  But I get VERY tired of Dr. Phil (as well as many others who have a televised audience) talking about certain prescription medications with the attitude that EVERYONE using those medications is an addict!

I have fibromyalgia syndrome, chronic myofascial syndrome, a severe panic disorder with agoraphobia, and chronic tension and migraine headaches.  So - can you imagine what the inside of my medicine cabinet (as well as the 7-day pill counter in my purse) looks like?!?!?  I take on a DAILY basis - Lexapro (an antidepressant), Cymbalta (another antidepressant), Xanax 3 times a day (for my panic attacks and severe generalized anxiety), Vicodin 2 times a day (for my intense body pain and headaches), Ibuprofen 800 mg 3 times a day (again - body pain, inflammation, and headaches), Promethezine 25 mg 6 times a day (for my nausea - and helps the pain medication work better), Synthyroid (hypothyroidism), Zocor (high cholesterol - resulting from my thyroid), and Imitrex as needed (for migraines).

If someone were to look at this list and NOT KNOW ME - they could easily assume I am abusing these medications.  In reality, I am VERY careful to ONLY go to ONE family doctor and ONE psychiatrist, so there is not even the LOOK of "doctor shopping" and I go to only ONE pharmacy for the same reason.  I also do physical therapy twice a week in a hydrotherapy pool and exercises and stretches at home to help me not be so medication dependent for pain relief.  I see my talk therapist once a week to work on my panic disorder, anxiety, and depression issues (I have been seeing her for EIGHT years now!) and see my psychiatrist every few months to re-evaluate my medications. 

I am a "normal", functioning 34 year old wife and mother of three.  I also have all these conditions and rely on the NECESSARY medications to not only help me REMAIN a "normal" person, but to become MORE functioning.  I have NEVER taken ANY of my medications to "get high" or because I am dependent - that is one of the reasons I see my doctor as often as I do and change medications when it is necessary.

Sometimes I think people (even doctors!!) FORGET that these medications exist FOR A REASON and that many, many people take them responsibly.  In the past, I have heard Dr. Phil say that anxiety conditions are one of the "easiest" psychiatric disorders to get under control - now, I don't know who HE is treating, but I have struggled with this for many, many, many years DESPITE receiving wonderful treatment.  So either I am a total fruitcake, or Dr. Phil does not have as much of an understanding of these disoders as he thinks..

May 13, 2008, 3:05 pm CDT

paying it forward

Quote From: ramair

Joini, you are one amazing lady! The way, after Dr Phil helped you overcome your own addiction, you continue "paying it forward" by helping others still addicted.
 so true! and kudos to sarah also. but where is her sister? sarah looks so good. i hope her sister is doing well, too.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last