Message Boards

Topic : 05/15 Psychic Dramas

Number of Replies: 284
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 09, 2008, 03:58:33 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Some people get spooked by horror films and others by Ouija boards, but are there really ghosts among us? James Van Praagh, a world-renowned medium and co-executive producer of the CBS drama Ghost Whisperer, believes the spirit world is closer than we think. James goes ghost-busting on the Paramount Studios lot with The Insider correspondent, Victoria Recaño. Their discoveries might surprise you. Then, Jennifer Love Hewitt, actress and star of Ghost Whisperer, discusses the unexplained occurrences she encountered on the set. Jennifer plays a medium on the show, but is she a believer in real life? Plus, Diane claims to be haunted by the spirit of a 10-year-old boy. She calls the presence “Jerry” and says he even zaps her hands, arms and legs when he’s angry! Dr. Phil arranges a meeting between James and Diane to see if the medium can communicate with the wayward wraith. You won't believe what James uncovers! Then, Mercedes says she's been addicted to psychics for 12 years and has spent nearly $4,000 a year seeking their advice. She even consulted with six soothsayers to see if she should appear on the Dr. Phil show! Mercedes’ son, Glenn, says he doesn’t need a crystal ball to see that the psychics are taking his mother straight to the cleaners. What does the future hold for Mercedes if she continues down this path? And, James performs readings for a few audience members. Don't miss his startling revelations that bring several people to tears.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 12, 2008, 7:50 pm CDT

Thing that go bump in the night!

Quote From: memphismaggie

I have never watched Ghost Whisperer, and avoid shows of this nature like the plague. Why? Because I have had strange things happen to me, and I don't like the feeling I get when "things" happen.

Some examples.

My mother-in-law passed many years ago. On the night she died,  the phone rang in the wee hours. It was not a normal thing to have happen in my house. I answered the phone, and heard the voice of my mother-in-law asking for me by name!

I was self employed as a house cleaner, and worked three days a week for a woman with 8 kids (!). I would take my youngest daughter with me, who was not quite school age. I worked in the house while the entire family was gone, so my daughter and I were alone in the house.

The house was in Pedley CA, and was situated in an odd place. It was at the end of a very short cul-de-sac, behind other homes that were directly on the street. This home's back yard was basically the edge of the Santa Anna river wash. The family had a security system that had red lights that would flash if some kind of activity was in that particular home.

When I cleaned the upstairs, I never felt alone. It was an eerie, spooky feeling. One day, just before Christmas, the lights on the security system started flashing. A few minutes later, looking to the front door where their stairway to the upstairs was, I saw a man who was transparent, come floating down the stairs. He had on a brown suite and a brown hat, much like men wore in the 1940's.

Right after that, I had to quit working in the house. It just made me jumpy.

Do you know, that the woman of the house was my best friends Aunt, and my friend and her boyfriend were hired to paint the upstairs of the house.

At one point, my friend said she felt like she was being watched, but continued to paint, and was talking to her boyfriend, when she looked outside and her boyfriend was outside smoking a cigarette! Then she saw "him"!

I found all this out when I was recounting my story about my encounter to my friend. As soon as I came to the part about the man in the suit, my friend took over! We had "seen" the same thing!

I have also had many odd things happen in the apartment I currently reside in. Whatever is out there has not hurt me, but whatever it is seems to be stalking me, and scaring me.

I work in a two person office, and my co-worker is a renowned Astrologer, and Spiritualist. He is really the only one who knows about what has happened in my apartment. He believe that I have a "gift", but I don't see it that way. I HATE these things happening to me.

BTW, my husband often asks what I was staring at, or what I am fighting, and I tell him I don't know. I'd move from this place, but it's my livelihood.

May 13, 2008, 11:27 am CDT

Thanks for covering this Dr. Phil!

I have had psychic experiences since I was a child, as has my sister, my daughter and my son. When I was growing up, I thought everyone had these experiences and didn't understand when I had to explain some things (as in "why couldn't they just 'get it' or read my mind?) I also thought for a while, when I'd know about a death, that I might be causing it, which as a teen was very scary, but I learned through my spritual travels that not everyone is "turned in" or pays attention to that part of themselves, and found that many people are told as kids things such as, "It's only a dream", "Don't be silly", etc.

I've had expereinces where it started to bring a lot of unwanted attention to me, so I learned to discount these things (e.g. - I knew an elevator at a medical class I was taking in a hotel was going to break down... I mentioned to another lady at the conference that I had a 'bad vibe' about the elevator and said out loud a prayer to God to at least allow us to make it to our floors before it quit." We thankfully did, only when I went to the next morning's class, I was met with a nearly hysterical woman, and it didn't ask that I'd asked a question about psychic/medical information the day before. I simply told the people that were by then freaking out that I simply heard a sound in the elevator, as I certainly did not want to be the center of attention, as that's certainly not what I was there for.)

Several years ago, my sister started telling me about books she was finding out about from people around her, and so I started reading a number of them. I can't say that there is one I relate to 100% (not even her and my experiences are really the same), and she later wrote a book called, "Lit Within", about her expereinces & the lessons learned by them. She wants to bring to light why so many people who seem to have this turned on for whatever reason, the experiences of leaving a murderer out there, even though she'd "seen" what happened in a vision, and that some psychics are afraid to bring up things like that, as they may get blamed for it!

Strange... I just saw James Van Praggh's movie, "Talking to Heaven" last night! It seems they have at least that in common.

I'd seen a taping of his show in Los Angeles a few years ago and there is no question Mr. Van Praggh also has the same types of experiences as my sister and I. I'm sure if the movie is even remotely like his real life was growing up, it took a tremendous amount of courage to come forward. He & others like him paved the way for so many others to not be afraid to come forward.

Thanks Dr. Phil for having Mr. Van Praggh (I apologize if I'm spelling his name wrong) on your show! It's about time people simply accept that some of us are given this awareness (not sure I'd have called it a gift when I was younger... and although I have a better idea of what I'm tuning into, I think only with on-going dialouge with those who take the awareness to that area, will come a better understanding of what it is we are all tuning into.

We've come a LONG way from witch buring, but not nearly as far as we could have , and I'm sure we have much further to go!

Thanks again for having him on your show! I hope we'll see more of this, and pray that it's not a show about justifying what many of us already know to be true, and really gets down into the nitty gritty of what this is all about!

It's sad that there are people out there that charge for BS garbage and claim to be "psychic." I've learned to strongly dislike that name, as it's usually attached to charlitans in many peoples' heads.

I'd have to say if someone charges you at all be suspicious (I've given people readings and never have I once charged, nor would I accept any money as of yet.)

Does anyone know where there is a meeting for "mediums" in the Ventura county/Los Angeles area? It would be great to hook up with others to learn about their experiences and help me better understand my own. I'm sure there are others out there as well looking for the same things!

May 13, 2008, 11:57 am CDT

so-called, and even real "psychics" can hurt people if it's done wrong

Quote From: suzangm

I share your same opinion. Psychic's do damage to those that use them. Causing families of Missing Persons to waste precious time chasing there "visions". I am a p.i. and have watched up close what a psychic does to families that are grief stricken, only to get hurt on even a deeper spiritual level than before. It's horrible what they do, and not from God. Look at my profile and follow the link to my blog where you can read the thoughts and experiences of those who have turned to psychics. I would like to see a show on these families that have been harmed, so others will not be hurt be traumatized, nor waste their precious resources. I appeared on the Van Praugh show some years ago as the families lead investigator, with the Shawn Hornbeck family only to hear the most ridiculous claims, of which "NONE" were true.  Shawn Hornbeck? Van Praugh claimed that he was being held in a train (on the show), pointing to me on a map. The family searched nearby area's after the show that matched his "vision" Wasting precious time, where other places needed to be searched. He claimed at a later date to have "been contacted by Shawn's spirit on the other side" when in fact, Shawn was very much alive, and has since been recovered. Fortunately after the taping, Shawn's parents and I went behind the studio... they asked me, do you believe his claims? I said...No. God would not use a person such as this to speak through. How about a show on the damage psychics do...so we can prevent people from being further traumatized?

Respectfully, Suzan

As with anything, people can get it wrong. I had a very different experience with Mr. Van Praggh, but  I also agree that a misread, a statement taken wrong, or simply people not using common sense when dealing with what is relatively uncharted waters, as so many who really experience visions, "knowing" things, etc. can misinterpret what they are seeing, hearing, feeling, etc.

I *do* believe those who charge for what they obviously know is a BS so-called "reading" need to be taken out of circulation (But then how do we "know" what a person is thinking, unless like in so many other areas of law, those people admit that they know it's a scam.

It is VERY sad when people get so desperate that they'll go to/through anything to find a missing family member, pet, whatever.  Even I've thought that someone's pet was very much dead, when in fact it was not, but like I'd seen almost a year before, the cat died exactly how and where I though it already had. (Note: I have never charged anyone for a reading, and when I see something that sensitve, I generally as a rule keep it to myself, and plan to until I have a better understanding of what it is I am tuning into.) A true "psychic" with the best of understandings can get it wrong sometimes, as can DAs and criminologists (CSIs I guess they call them now), medical lab techs, doctors, nurses, and the list goes on... (How much damage when you know by working in the medical field that 100,000 to 250,000 people EVERY YEAR die as a direct result of medication reactions when taken as directed (the 100,000), and approximately 250,000 MORE die of mis-dosed medication every year! (This doens't even include those with permenant medical problems as a direct result of treatment!!!)

OK, so if we went after everyone who caused some damage, the medical profession and the drug companies would be out of business, we would not give our children any more immunizations (At least not those that are readily available, we'd likely go to homeopathic nosodes and other alternatives, as there is definitely dangers in medicine, and even in criminology... no one gets it right all the time... if we did, we'd all be saints!)

Anyhow, justy wanted to put that into some sort of perspective for you.

I realize there are people who certainly are in the business for the money and don't even believe in what they are doing (and probably rightfully so), BUT there are those of us who really do seem to somehow catch a glimpse of something, and even in the Bible, Jesus not only made miracles happen, but said that we would go on and do even greater things, so to say it's not "of God" I think is out of line.

Perhaps writing a book would be your best outlet?

I agree that the charlitans ought to be taken out, BUT the field of parapsychology needs to be studied MUCH further, and STRONGLY disagree that "psychic" (or whatever you wish to call it (personally I don't like that term, as it has so much baggage attached to it)  stuff is not of God... It most certainly is in my experience! Didn't Jesus preform miracles and said we'd do much more? The veil between this world and the others can be see though to some degree, but it isn't always as clear as it could be had historically we hadn't gone on witch hunts.

You might write a book about HOW damge is done to your clients by true (& not so true) psychics. That way those of us who have those experiences can learn from those that you've experienced, but to attack physcics in general doesn't serve anyone. I'd LOVE to see a book about this, as usually if I fell I know about something of that nature, I simply keep my mouth shut and let it go and simply do not get involved.

I hope to see something from you that tells us what & how things are hurtful. A book would be welcome!!! If you write one, PLEASE post it here, or maybe Dr. Phil will have you on his show!?!

All the best,

Altmed

May 14, 2008, 9:00 am CDT

Psychics are Prophets gone bad

Think about it for a moment...
Why would someone receive a gift  such as this  to be used for monetary gain instead of  getting in the word  and carry the message that God  would have for  the people.

May 14, 2008, 2:30 pm CDT

05/15 Psychic Dramas

Quote From: altmed

As with anything, people can get it wrong. I had a very different experience with Mr. Van Praggh, but  I also agree that a misread, a statement taken wrong, or simply people not using common sense when dealing with what is relatively uncharted waters, as so many who really experience visions, "knowing" things, etc. can misinterpret what they are seeing, hearing, feeling, etc.

I *do* believe those who charge for what they obviously know is a BS so-called "reading" need to be taken out of circulation (But then how do we "know" what a person is thinking, unless like in so many other areas of law, those people admit that they know it's a scam.

It is VERY sad when people get so desperate that they'll go to/through anything to find a missing family member, pet, whatever.  Even I've thought that someone's pet was very much dead, when in fact it was not, but like I'd seen almost a year before, the cat died exactly how and where I though it already had. (Note: I have never charged anyone for a reading, and when I see something that sensitve, I generally as a rule keep it to myself, and plan to until I have a better understanding of what it is I am tuning into.) A true "psychic" with the best of understandings can get it wrong sometimes, as can DAs and criminologists (CSIs I guess they call them now), medical lab techs, doctors, nurses, and the list goes on... (How much damage when you know by working in the medical field that 100,000 to 250,000 people EVERY YEAR die as a direct result of medication reactions when taken as directed (the 100,000), and approximately 250,000 MORE die of mis-dosed medication every year! (This doens't even include those with permenant medical problems as a direct result of treatment!!!)

OK, so if we went after everyone who caused some damage, the medical profession and the drug companies would be out of business, we would not give our children any more immunizations (At least not those that are readily available, we'd likely go to homeopathic nosodes and other alternatives, as there is definitely dangers in medicine, and even in criminology... no one gets it right all the time... if we did, we'd all be saints!)

Anyhow, justy wanted to put that into some sort of perspective for you.

I realize there are people who certainly are in the business for the money and don't even believe in what they are doing (and probably rightfully so), BUT there are those of us who really do seem to somehow catch a glimpse of something, and even in the Bible, Jesus not only made miracles happen, but said that we would go on and do even greater things, so to say it's not "of God" I think is out of line.

Perhaps writing a book would be your best outlet?

I agree that the charlitans ought to be taken out, BUT the field of parapsychology needs to be studied MUCH further, and STRONGLY disagree that "psychic" (or whatever you wish to call it (personally I don't like that term, as it has so much baggage attached to it)  stuff is not of God... It most certainly is in my experience! Didn't Jesus preform miracles and said we'd do much more? The veil between this world and the others can be see though to some degree, but it isn't always as clear as it could be had historically we hadn't gone on witch hunts.

You might write a book about HOW damge is done to your clients by true (& not so true) psychics. That way those of us who have those experiences can learn from those that you've experienced, but to attack physcics in general doesn't serve anyone. I'd LOVE to see a book about this, as usually if I fell I know about something of that nature, I simply keep my mouth shut and let it go and simply do not get involved.

I hope to see something from you that tells us what & how things are hurtful. A book would be welcome!!! If you write one, PLEASE post it here, or maybe Dr. Phil will have you on his show!?!

All the best,

Altmed

Altmed, Thank you for your very respectable answer to my post. I can touch on a few subjects about my personal opinion, however I have posted information before about religion and it was not posted. I am sure the Dr. Phil show does not want to lose readers by being offended on this message board...lol

I will touch on it lightly from a Christian point of view, and if you desire to discuss this further you and anyone else interested in this topic is absolutely welcome to my blog, where I have discussed it in detail.

K Here goes... In the Christian faith, we do believe in healing, discernment and the various "gifts" one can be given "after" baptism. It is not a special ability for some, it is given freely through the Holy Ghost, it is God/Jesus's power....NOT ours. It is not just for a few elect, it is for anyone who is saved and filled with the Holy Spirit. I personally have the gift of discernment. I have also prayed for a recovery and also pray often for others, for various reasons. The answer is based on God's will, through one's "faith". God has been known to send visions, but he always uses "two", one to confirm the other. A person going into a trance like state... or consulting cards, does not qualify. How can you tell a real vision from a fake? It really is very simple. God will "NOT" work through someone who claims the gift as "there own" a bonafide Christian..always gives credit to Christ. We are vessels...to be used, we do not fill our own selves with power. It's not ours, and it can't be owned or controlled by our own will. It is God's will...and his alone. The bible expressly forbids the use of stars, cards, planets, mediums or self proclaimed visions (especially those who claim they inherited it from a family line of see'ers.) There is a big difference in saying... I am a psychic, or I am a Christian and will pray for you. Which is real? The latter. Prayer is free. Faith is free. We are not to boast about our praying, or our success or failures...we simply believe, and claim it. And wait... If our prayers come to fruition, we give thanks. Any one who does not profess that Jesus is their Lord and savior, is using a different force, or pretending.

This is my personal opinion based on scripture and not intended to offend anyone.

Please feel free to stop by my  blog and enter into a chat on any subject that fancies you. I do not chose friends based on their belief system, but am not shy about sharing mine. :)

And I will certainly think on the book writing. More than anything I hate to see people be led astray, especially after having already experienced a tragedy.

If that was your cat in your story, I am sorry for your loss....

Suzan

May 14, 2008, 2:47 pm CDT

My opinion

Quote From: ramair

I'm so glad, even after all the wasted time, Shawn was found alive. What a tragedy it would've been, had Shawn died while everone was wasting their time following Van Praugh's rabbit trails. You've shared your opinion of Van Praugh. What's your opinion of the real Allisin DuBois?

I looked no further than her title, she uses the name psychic, medium.  I do not know her personally, but on a looking at tv level, I can share as I did in my last post, If they do not give credit to Christ, then they are either tapping into a different source of power, or using guesses. Personally, I would not want to be led around to parts unknown when an alternate entity other than God/Jesus were instructing/leading me. After all... our souls and their destiny are up for grabs. One cannot have light and dark in the same place, as the bible instructs, just getting you to believe "in the other side" takes you away from God. That is not a place I would want to be. If this woman is gaining fame or fortune, for her services that's a clue. God is free. The gifts given are free, for you...me, for us all.  I can tell you, if she does not profess her gifts are from Christ, then I would have to say...see ya.

And yes, Shawn being found! He represents the small faces that go missing all to often. Never give up hope, pray...believe, keep searching. Over 100,000 children go missing "a year" that is pretty amazing.

Here is a side note" If you believe in God. And if you believe the bible. And you have read and believed that God/Jesus has done " miracles". If he "were to use a person" would he not say "directly where they were"?

One does not have to guess that he would 'not' give silly clue's.. and most that are wrong. And some that are so hurtful...to even imagine. Think about the God you know, would your God use a psychic to tell you something? or would he use a Christian who would bless him by giving him credit? It would also make God/Jesus a liar to use one, as he expressly forbids the use of them in all forms. He can't change the rules that would make him a liar.

Respectfully, Suzan

May 14, 2008, 3:09 pm CDT

mediums

I believe everyone is psychic, all we have to do is develop it. Just like anyome can play the piano, there are those who have a natural gift for it. Same with being psychic.

My husband is a medium and an extremely good one! Our incredible son crossed over in Oct 2007 at 16yo after being diagnosed with aml leukemia in July 2007. Because of the incredible gift my husband has exercised and developed, we have not lost communication with our beloved son. He is still very much a part of our family, only on a higher vibration now. We celebrated his 17th b-day May 12th. He was there. While we miss his physical presence tremendously, having this gift has made his transition more bearable.

My son was also very psychic while here. He would see spirits from a very young age. We raised him to be open to his spiritual gifts and he was better for it. He touched so many lives in his short time here.  All Children's Hosp. in St. Pete Fl will forever be changed by knowing my son. We didn't raise him with any religious dogma so he was free to be who he came here to be, an Enlightened Being who touched many lives around the world with his love, courage and grace!

Artists, singers, songwriters, musicsians, ect all have God given gifts, they are compensated for them. So why is using the gift of mediumship or being psychic any different?? We are suppose to use our gifts, no matter what they are, to support ourselves here. We shouldn't have to ask, "Do you want a lid with that?" in order to support ourselves if we have a God given gift??

Yes, like anything else, they are horrible psychics out there. I've met a few. Just because you go to a horrible dentist doesn't mean they are all bad. Unfortunately not everybody is in integrity, and yes that sucks. That is why you NEVER substitute your own judgement for someone elses, EVER! I don't care who they are, whether a doctor, lawyer or a psychic! Trust your own intuition!

And contrary to popular belief, psychics do NOT have all the answers for others or themselves. If they did, they wouldn't be here anymore and would move on from this plane to a higher one!

I am excited that Dr. Phil is having James on. I have had the pleasure of spending time with him and I think he is wonderful. I did not get a reading from him, we were at a gathering as colleagues, but he did give some amazing readings at the gathering we were at.

I for one am really looking forward to this show!

May 14, 2008, 4:15 pm CDT

05/15 Psychic Dramas

Quote From: suzangm

I looked no further than her title, she uses the name psychic, medium.  I do not know her personally, but on a looking at tv level, I can share as I did in my last post, If they do not give credit to Christ, then they are either tapping into a different source of power, or using guesses. Personally, I would not want to be led around to parts unknown when an alternate entity other than God/Jesus were instructing/leading me. After all... our souls and their destiny are up for grabs. One cannot have light and dark in the same place, as the bible instructs, just getting you to believe "in the other side" takes you away from God. That is not a place I would want to be. If this woman is gaining fame or fortune, for her services that's a clue. God is free. The gifts given are free, for you...me, for us all.  I can tell you, if she does not profess her gifts are from Christ, then I would have to say...see ya.

And yes, Shawn being found! He represents the small faces that go missing all to often. Never give up hope, pray...believe, keep searching. Over 100,000 children go missing "a year" that is pretty amazing.

Here is a side note" If you believe in God. And if you believe the bible. And you have read and believed that God/Jesus has done " miracles". If he "were to use a person" would he not say "directly where they were"?

One does not have to guess that he would 'not' give silly clue's.. and most that are wrong. And some that are so hurtful...to even imagine. Think about the God you know, would your God use a psychic to tell you something? or would he use a Christian who would bless him by giving him credit? It would also make God/Jesus a liar to use one, as he expressly forbids the use of them in all forms. He can't change the rules that would make him a liar.

Respectfully, Suzan

As a fellow believer, I appreciate your stand for Christ.

I think, sometimes, God gives us "impressions". I once had an impression that I should ask a woman if she could read. A friend and I would go "soul winning" for our church. And, when sharing gospel verses, we'd ask the person to read them aloud. But, once, almost as if from God, I got the impression that, were I to ask the woman we were visiting than night, to read, it would embarrass her. And, that I should ask her if she could read. So, I did. She couldn't. So, I read the verses to her. She made a profession of faith. And, we got her into a literacy program.

May 14, 2008, 6:04 pm CDT

PSYCHIC ABILITIES IN THE BIBLE TOO

Quote From: memphismaggie

ARE SOME PEOPLE AFREAD OF THIS ABILITY   MAYBE THAT IS WHY THEY

DENY IT.   MUCH OF OUR BRAIN AND WHAT GOES ON IN THE BRAIN

IS STILL BEING DISCOVERED.   MUCH OF LIFE AND EVENTS AND

QUESTIONS WILL ALWAYS BE QUESTIONED AND SOME DAY, MAYBE

ALL OF THE QUESTIONS WILL HAVE ANSWERS.  TO BE CLOSED MINDED

I S TO SHUT OUT MUCH OF THE WONDERS OF THE WORLD AND WE ARE

PART OF THAT

May 14, 2008, 6:11 pm CDT

gift of proficy

I am really surprise that Dr. Phil would do a show on this.  I do know sometimes it's about ratings and this may be the case.  But it's not for me to judge.  I do know that God allows some people to have the gift of proficy.  It's a gift to be allowed to hear from what they call "SPIRITS".  And in reality it's the Devil's work.  As God allows his angels to come to earth to do his work so does Satan.  Satan can send his demons (his type) of angels to do things on earth.  I know this from personal experiance.  I saw one of Satan's demons standing in my bedroom closet one night.  I also saw them many other times after that in many other places.  I also heard them too.  But after a spirtial cleaning of my house they never returned.  I must be honest this is one show I will not be watching.  I don't need to spiritially clean my house again.  And by watching this it would leave an after effect of demons in my home and I don't need that.   I also know that the bible says to not get involved in the acts of witchcraft and that is what this is.  So I will bow out.  But I am not judging anyone who watches this.  It's all up to you and what you believe. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last