Message Boards

Topic : 05/16 Spanking Scandals

Number of Replies: 690
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 09, 2008, 03:59:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Is physical punishment a necessary form of discipline or child abuse? First up, Monica says her five children bite, kick and talk back, and she often has to resort to beatings with a belt. Monica admits she made her four oldest children miss meals and tied their hands together until they learned to like each other. Her husband, Marshall, says Monica disciplines in anger and admits that he also hits their children out of frustration. Renowned pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears says what Monica is doing is not discipline, but abuse. Can he help the frazzled mom bring some peace to her chaotic household? Then, Elizabeth sent her 12-year-old son, Joey, to a school with a corporal punishment policy and was shocked when he came home with what she says were severe bruises. She says Joey’s beating was so severe she had to pull him out of school, and now she’s worried he won’t ever go back. How can Elizabeth and her son move past the shame? Plus, Dr. Phil hears from both sides of the spanking debate. Keila is a teacher who believes in corporal punishment and has even paddled a few students herself. Peggy is an anti-spanking advocate who says states that allow spanking also have the highest number of incarcerations and school drop-outs. What does Dr. Phil think? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Is spanking useful or cruel? Share your thoughts here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 10, 2008, 9:08 pm CDT

Spanking incorporated in my writings

Although I am on the anti-spanking side, I have incorporated in few of my stories for several special reasons.  Caution:  Story Spoilers ahead.

My first story I will talk about is “Valerie.”  This is a fanfic story I wrote for one of my favorite cartoons, C.O.P.S. (an animated series about a special group of police officers, each with a special talent beneficial to the team.  It aired in the 80’s, but I watched this in the 90’s and got back into this several years ago, after an eight-year falling out.)  My protagonist, Valerie Boston, is a successful advertising executive who has a pre-teen son, Jeremy, who was left mentally retarded through severe effects of Shaken Baby Syndrome, so badly damaged that he cannot even learn the difference between right and wrong.  This, however, doesn’t stop her husband, Tom, from using extreme punitive force (belts, fist beatings, etc.) whenever he – often – catches the boy misbehaving or making the tiniest of infractions.  Valerie, on the other hand, wisely prefers to listen to the doctors and other medical experts who advise against spanking, and instead gives her alternative measures such as getting down to Jeremy’s level and telling him he should not be doing those things.  She protects Jeremy from this kind of extremity and is often beaten herself for it, mostly because she goes against her husband on this issue.  After a quick yet ugly divorce, the judge grants sole custody of Jeremy, after Tom verbally attacks one of Jeremy’s teachers who admits she’s strict, yet she’s afraid to include Jeremy when punishing the whole class because he would not react well.

Her divorce, along with bigger aspirations in her career and desire to be closer to her family, takes her to Empire City (where the animated series C.O.P.S. is set.)  There, when making an impromptu appearance at a police picnic, she meets the members of C.O.P.S. and promptly falls in love with five of them.  Probably her beaux are pro-spanking in their own rights – especially Sgt. Colt “Mace” Howards – but when they see Jeremy and hear about Valerie’s trials with this situation, they put those feelings aside out of strong romantic feelings for Valerie.  Meanwhile, Valerie’s decision not to spank Jeremy doesn’t get her very much respect or many friends.  Many of the parents who work with her harass her because of this, putting pressure on her to stop using Jeremy’s disabilities as an excuse to be so lenient, and give him good spankings whenever he often gets out of line (harder and more often because it would take Jeremy longer to learn right from wrong.)  They also tell Valerie that she is a terrible mother because of this, apparently not thinking for herself.  Several co-workers even discipline the boy harshly for her, when two of them spank and scream at Jeremy for not fully cooperating while filming a Shaken Baby Syndrome awareness commercial.

Members of her own family, and several members of C.O.P.S.’ families also criticize her because of this, as well as the boyfriend for going along with this.  For example, at a summer family reunion in Empire City, Valerie is confronted by two cousins who are not only upset about Valerie’s divorce, but are also disgusted that Valerie obviously has not changed her mind about spanking Jeremy.  This results in a physical brawl between her and the older of the two cousins.  Meanwhile, one of her boyfriends, Texas Sheriff Walker “Sundown” Calhoun takes Jeremy on vacation with him, and this issue comes to light at a family dinner in Texas, when his brother and sister-in-law scream and berate Jeremy for eating his food too slow (Jeremy has a small stomach resulting from SBS, and cannot eat very much because of it), and Sundown and his parents are very quick to defend Jeremy, especially when the brother almost spanks the boy with a paddle because he refuses to finish.  This results in a loud argument where Sundown’s brother tells exactly what he thinks of Valerie (whom he had not met.)  Two months later, Valerie meets this stubborn brother at Sundown’s Empire City apartment, and passionately defends her anti-spanking decisions, saying that spanking and yelling only stresses Jeremy out, and doesn’t get her any positive results.  But he, like all her other critics, thinks she is just making excuses, and Sundown, of course, comes to her defense.  Just two weekends earlier, Valerie engaged in another brouhaha with the family of another C.O.P.S. boyfriend, Mace.  While visiting his parents’ house, Mace’s father and younger sister are down on Valerie at once for her opinions, and insist that Jeremy can benefit from being spanked and beaten.  Mr. Howards especially tries to determine this factoid by spanking Jeremy with a belt for loudly refusing to finish a large plate of dinner that started out small.  Despite ability to rescue Jeremy, this inevitably ruins Valerie’s relationship with Mace.

My opinion: it is a very bad idea to spank a child who is so mentally damaged that (s) he cannot possibly comprehend the difference between right and wrong, usually if your child has severe effects of Shaken Baby Syndrome, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, cerebral palsy, etc.  I think the reason why SBS information websites don’t have a section on discipline techniques is because the experts know these kinds of children don’t respond well to the kinds of discipline that would work on a normal, able-bodied child, especially not spanking.  I urge any parent who is in this situation to listen to their doctors if they advise against spanking and other punitive measures (and they would) and follow whatever advice they would give to them.  Perhaps they will suggest getting down to the child’s level and telling them politely, yet firmly, that they should not be doing what they are doing, like Valerie does, or even redirecting the child.  That said, I wonder what Monica and Marshall would do if they had a child that turned out like Jeremy in my fanfic.  Give the child away to another family, perhaps?

My second writing project is a real novel I just started called “Broken Family Portrait.”  My protagonist is Robin Callbeck, who, like me, has lifelong effects of cerebral palsy due to premature birth.  Besides physical and learning disabilities, Robin also has serious brain damage, which includes a brain filter (the part that censors thoughts so you don’t say them aloud) that doesn’t work; therefore, he says whatever he thinks and is very prone to talking back.  Robin’s military soldier father, who ironically dotes on two of his three older sisters (especially his eldest, Abilene) regularly beats him with his hands, belts and whatever else.  When Robin is hospitalized after his final beating, his mother decidedly acts as both parent and friend toward him when she takes the children away from this, and when he takes on a stepfather, he acts as both parent and friend as well, and Robin adores him.  (Sisters Abilene and Olivia, however, have no respect for their mother since the divorce, and unsuccessfully try to break up their mother’s new relationship.)  Robin insists to other people that he is okay with this arrangement, but many refuse to believe him.  Those who don’t believe him often bring up the spanking debate with him, which often makes him “hot tongued” so to speak.  His ability to say what he thinks eventually lands him a career as a talk radio personality, and he is so controversial.  Robin is so hung up on anti-spanking, that he refuses to change his mind about it after he finds out he is a parent.

Meanwhile, Abilene and Olivia, since the death of their father, fall in love with and marry two fellow military soldiers who are much older than them.  Both marriages are physically and emotionally abusive, yet they refuse to leave simply because they have children with them – who are also beaten.  Abilene is very preachy about family togetherness, especially when she pressures Robin to sacrifice his life plans to care for their mother (who refuses this offer,) and to stay with his wife when she is entirely unfaithful to him.  I won’t spoil any climaxes for you, but one sister eventually ends her marriage, while the other is killed by her husband.

Is Robin a “selfish, horrible adult” as grandmashari puts it?  Well, Robin’s stance on spanking gets him more enemies than friends in high school; he kicks his unfaithful wife out of his life after she bears a son that he finds out he did not father; goes on an anti-female tirade phase as a result; fights with his brothers-in-law about this whole “spanking vs. abuse” debate, as well as all his anti-spanking friends; implodes on anyone else who challenges him on this debate; and vows “revenge justice” on pro-spanking adult siblings who try to kill him over his beliefs (he suspects one sibling and his spouse of killing his friend years before, who has an SBS child.)  You tell me!

I’m sorry if this post is so long, but this is how I incorporated spanking into my writing.  I think you’ll find this interesting.  If you have any questions, please e-mail me at davewriter2003@yahoo.com.  I don’t think these message boards will accept this kind of conversation.  Thank you for reading.

May 10, 2008, 10:33 pm CDT

05/16 Spanking Scandals

Quote From: rudy28

I agree with the above post.  There are times when spanking is ok.  A swat on the but or a slap on the hand is NOT abuse.  There is a huge difference. but it is the people who caompare that to abuse that is the problem.  I am 45 I am a preschool teacher in my local school district and there are some kids that need a spanking but I don't feel it is my job as a teaacher to do that.  As a parent they should be allowed to swat theie child if they think it is needed and it is no ones business unless they cross the line.  A swat on the butt or a slap on the hand does not cross the line.  I have seen so many children control thier parents that it is disgusting. The parents are letting their kids get away with everything and think it is cute. well it isn't cute to most people. I knew how to behave in a store or restaurant. I didn't throw a fit in a store if my momsaid I couldn't have something. and I never felt abused in my life at all.  I am thankful that my mom and dad loved me enough to want me to grow up respecting others and myself and a littl swat on my but didn't hurt me.

I,m 47 yrs old and was not spanked as much as I know, but I wished I had been, I did'nt get into a bunch of trouble when I was young but, I sure as heck pushed the boundries to the limit. Which affected me alot in my adult years later on. If I had been taught what boundries were by a good slap to the rear end . I may have saved myself from pushing the boundries that got me into real trouble as an adult. Im still slacking off when it comes to following the rules and My lack of disipline shows in my life today. They tried talking to me and sometimes I listened, I still think the only way I learned not touch the electric fence was to touch it  and find that you will get shocked. Not all kids are the same. I've spanked my daughter whom is very sensitive, It is not effective for her, it wounds her spirit..so from mother to daughter the choice of disapline, is in the wisdom of knowing what will work for that paticular child. As Monty Roberts (the horse whispherer) said at a clinic once (for teaching people how to understand horses in their language)

" the bible says spare the rod ,& spoil the child, I say the bible is open to interpretation"  Each child is different and you can lump them into groups of  disaplinary types,

Sandra Hancock

May 10, 2008, 11:10 pm CDT

Spanking is a way to discipline, but not to abuse

I agree that way too many children are abused today.  "Back in the day" my father was hit on the knuckles with a ruler by his teachers.  By the time I was in school, that had stopped.  I don't think anyone other than parents should spank a child.  The problem with todays kids is when the principle calls in the parents, usually the parents DEFEND the childs behavior, or will make excuses for the child.  Neither of which holds the child accountable for their actions.  It also shows disrespect for authority figures bc it's EXACTLY what the parents are doing by taking up for the child.

I was whipped when I was a kid, (I'm 38) and yes, I do spank my own children.  Unfortunately, there is a fine line between spanking and abuse.  When I was 15, I got caught drinking (LITERALLY) a sip of alcohol at school.  When my father was called (a single man raising 2 kids on his own), he told the principle he would be picking me up at the end of the day.  I have to say I was petrified, and with good reason bc I KNEW I screwed up!  When he picked me up, he took me straight to a walk-in-clinic and made me take a urine test. When we got home he told me to wait for him in his room.  He whipped me 3 times with a 2.5 foot wooden paddle.  I couldn't sit for over a week, and I knew I deserved it.  Did I hate him at the time? Of coarse.  Did I think it was abuse, NO WAY!  Come to find out, a few days later the urine test came back negative bc I only took a sip.  He felt terrible for the whipping I got, but I knew he did what he had to do for me to learn my lesson.  I'm proud to say that to this day, I've been married for 7 years, and my husband has NEVER seen me drunk. 

What ever happened to the days when we were sent out to look for a "switch" when we misbehaved?  Back in those days, we respected BOTH our parents and other authorities.  These days, kids hit their teachers, parents, and have no respect for the law.  I CAN'T be the only one that sees a horrible trend here!  I'm not about to preach, but even the Bible says spanking is a form of disciplinel  Our children need to be aware that there are consequesnces for their actions.  And those consequenses need to be effective!

As for my own children, I keep a wooden "paint stick" that is easily accessible.  And when my daughter will not listen & gets out of control, all I have to do is pull it out, and she immediately snaps back to good behavior.  I don't have to pull it out often.  But when I do, I walk her to the bathroom and if I have to calm myself down, I take a minute & give myself a "time out" while she waits for me, so that I don't go in there angry.  I sit on a stool in front of her to get on her eye level and I TALK to her.  After I explain why her bahavior is not acceptable (sometimes for the hundredth time), I lay her over my lap, and tap her once or twice on the leg.  She cries for just a few seconds, I stand her up, she gives me a big hug, she tells me she loves me (and of coarse I say it back to her), and we walk out the bathroom.  I usually get good behavior the rest of the day.  I couldn't ask for anything more out of a preschooler!  My son is only 15 months old, but I plan on using the same technique with him.

NO ONE deserves to be abused, esp the defenseless children of this world.  We all get angry as parents, and we're in denial if we say otherwise.  It's HOW you react to that anger that the child will mimic.  Discipline raises children to be respectful, responsible adults.  Abused children are rasied to abuse others.  There is a HUGE difference between the 2!!!! Too many children are running the home nowadays...Parents need to step in and take control once again.  They are our responsibility at least till they are 18!  And there is a REASON we are liable!  It's because they are not capable of making certain decisions on their own.  No one ever said parenting was easy, it's the toughest job I've ever had, but it's also the most rewarding.  So please love and respect your children! 

May 11, 2008, 12:05 am CDT

Spanking..Yes or no?

Quote From: lovelites

chilren learn what they live
  I'm also an educator, retired. My experiences with my own two children as well as my students taught me the same things this woman advocates; A spanking, to me, is not "physically harming" when done appripriately and in LOVE: My kids always knew #1 Why they were being spanked, #2 The behavior I was LOOKING for, ( They weren't left in a vaccuum) #3 After a short period of time, I took them into my arms and loved them and once, even cried with my son...He had really broken my heart..and the healing was beautiful. He knew I cared enough to stop him when he was really in need of it, and was being stubborn. I also used a small wooden spoon instead of my hand; I believe that separation from Mom's hand (or Daddy's if he did the spanking) is important. Today, my daughter has had to learn how ro spank her four year old, defiant behavior must be nipped in the bud! As a teacher I saw directly the results of those students that never had any punishment , and they are usually underachievers in comparison, because they didn't learn self control.Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, such as the very timid child that never feels a need to step beyond limits, compliantly living. I didn't rule with fear, but our children knew the rules clearly and knew we cared enough to help them develop the ability to exercise self control.Everywhere one goes in life, there are rules. Marriage, jobs, relationships, travel, driving a car,everywhere! Even going to the store, there are rules of ettiquete. How much better prepared kids are when they understand rules in life.

May 11, 2008, 4:04 am CDT

Title should be: "Child Discipline: Spanking vs. Time Out."

When I first saw this title briefly:  I thot:  "Oh good I am glad Dr. Phil is having a show on this."    When I read thru the preview:  I am very disappointment in the title to start and the  guest selection and the organization of the show to the point I am not even going to watch it.  You might as well call this show:  "Dr Phil's way or the Highway" because its not a debate. And its slanted.   I think Dr. Phil is afraid to debate Dr. James Dobson.  And he is afraid to acknowledge that their are millions of parents who have spanked their child because they loved them and not in anger.  I think people who don't spank their child when they need it have an anger problem because they end up getting frustrated and call their children nasty names like stupid, dumb and idiot which is more harmful than a Psychology textbook acknowledges whereas a parent who properly disciplines their child has good, obedient children so they don't have to scream and yell and don't call their children nasty names  Dr. Phil talks about his favorite discipline of taking everything out of the kids bedroom:  like TV, Computer orPlaystation 2 etc... my boys are older and don't get spanked anymore, but if you asked THEM if they would rather get a good old fashioned spanking or have Playstation 2 or their TV taken out of their room in punishment for misbehavior whatever it may be.... My boys would think taking away their Playstation 2 is TORTURE.... and would choose a quick spanking over that anyday if it was offered.  Although I don't think you should spank  children over age 10 yrs and should take away their cell phone as an effective discipline.  I think California is closeminded.  And I think it is sad because your news proves you have a discipline problem.   And your elementary schools would benefit from corporal punishment for kids who steal other kids lunch money and the teacher says whatever deal with it.....  This is an unspanked generation and public schools have a school shooting every other week...obviously leaving old fashioned1920-1950 parental values, morals and child rearing advice from grandma and grandpa WAS A BIG MISTAKE.

May 11, 2008, 4:44 am CDT

What really psychologically damages a child?

What really psychologically damages a child?  When 20 kids go out for a sports team and the coach only selects 19 of them to be on the team.  And then has 9 of them sit on the bench most of the season while only 10 of them play.  Who was better off the 1 who was cut in the first round or the 9 who sat on the bench the entire season wishing they could play?  And parents whatever discipline they use at home are left to deal with the hurtful, psychological damage that a teacher has done...... because Sports are something that technically should keep a kid out of trouble.... American life and situations are a complicated challenge...

May 11, 2008, 6:42 am CDT

My thoughts

I think there is a big difference when you are spanking a child and abusing a child. I am a single mother and it is very hard to raise a child today from birth by yourself, but that was my decision to make, I was very strict with my son, because "society" looks at a single mother, and thinks that the mother doesn't care how their child acts. Which isn't true, when my son was younger and if I told him 3 or more times no, he would get a swat on the bottom. If he touch something, and I said no 3 or more times a smack on the hand. If he would talk back to me, he would get flicked on the cheek or mouth (not slapped). The problem with today's kids is that parents expect the teachers to raise their children. They feel if they are in trouble in school it is the teacher that needs to discipline them. My son went to a pre-school when he was 4 years old, the teacher only believed in time out and tried telling me how to raise my son. I found out later that her kids were the most out of controls kids in their development.  Also, a principle told my son when he was in second grade, that he would never make it past the fifth grade, he is now a sophomore in high school, playing sports and looking forward to going to college. Believe me in no way do I believe a teacher should lay a hand on mine or any other child. But I do believe the teacher is responsible for calling the parent(s) and the parent(s) doing the discipline the way they see fit.

May 11, 2008, 9:19 am CDT

05/16 Spanking Scandals

And I must add that I HAVE NOT had even 1 call from a teacher complaining about my 4 children's behavior in class.  NOT ONE. No detentions, No bad notes.   And they again are older.... Usually the notes on their report card say:  "A Pleasure to have in Class."  And I have not always had the perfect deck of life circumstances card dealt to my life, but had to deal with some difficult situations. And again one of my underlying Psychological beliefs is Discuss the Problem, but DON'T CALL YOUR KIDS or ANYONE MEAN NAMES.

May 11, 2008, 10:38 am CDT

spanking at school

How old is too old to paddle a student at school? How hard is too hard? When you give the school the authority to hit your child, how do you know the temperment or intentions of the person doing the hitting?  This is usually done with a board 2 1/2 feet long.  My daughter suffered welts  and bruises from 1 lick at age 12 for being tardy for gym class and again at age 18 by the same man and no witness present. The form I signed stating they could not paddle her disappeared after she was left bruised up at age 18.  By the laws in my state if I had inflicted these injuries it would be child abuse.  I caution every parent about allowing your child to be hit at school.  They do no Love your children as you do.  I say legal child abuse has to stop.  Why would a thirtysomething year old man take an 18 yr old girl to his office with no witness and have her bend over .

May 11, 2008, 11:03 am CDT

Spanking incorporated in my writings

Although I am on the anti-spanking side, I have incorporated in few of my stories for several special reasons.  Caution:  Story Spoilers ahead.

My first story I will talk about is “Valerie.”  This is a fanfic story I wrote for one of my favorite cartoons, C.O.P.S. (an animated series about a special group of police officers, each with a special talent beneficial to the team.  It aired in the 80’s, but I watched this in the 90’s and got back into this several years ago, after an eight-year falling out.)  My protagonist, Valerie Boston, is a successful advertising executive who has a pre-teen son, Jeremy, who was left mentally retarded through severe effects of Shaken Baby Syndrome, so badly damaged that he cannot even learn the difference between right and wrong.  This, however, doesn’t stop her husband, Tom, from using extreme punitive force (belts, fist beatings, etc.) whenever he – often – catches the boy misbehaving or making the tiniest of infractions.  Valerie, on the other hand, wisely prefers to listen to the doctors and other medical experts who advise against spanking, and instead gives her alternative measures such as getting down to Jeremy’s level and telling him he should not be doing those things.  She protects Jeremy from this kind of extremity and is often beaten herself for it, mostly because she goes against her husband on this issue.  After a quick yet ugly divorce, the judge grants sole custody of Jeremy, after Tom verbally attacks one of Jeremy’s teachers who admits she’s strict, yet she’s afraid to include Jeremy when punishing the whole class because he would not react well.

Her divorce, along with bigger aspirations in her career and desire to be closer to her family, takes her to Empire City (where the animated series C.O.P.S. is set.)  There, when making an impromptu appearance at a police picnic, she meets the members of C.O.P.S. and promptly falls in love with five of them.  Probably her beaux are pro-spanking in their own rights – especially Sgt. Colt “Mace” Howards – but when they see Jeremy and hear about Valerie’s trials with this situation, they put those feelings aside out of strong romantic feelings for Valerie.  Meanwhile, Valerie’s decision not to spank Jeremy doesn’t get her very much respect or many friends.  Many of the parents who work with her harass her because of this, putting pressure on her to stop using Jeremy’s disabilities as an excuse to be so lenient, and give him good spankings whenever he often gets out of line (harder and more often because it would take Jeremy longer to learn right from wrong.)  They also tell Valerie that she is a terrible mother because of this, apparently not thinking for herself.  Several co-workers even discipline the boy harshly for her, when two of them spank and scream at Jeremy for not fully cooperating while filming a Shaken Baby Syndrome awareness commercial.

She has also gotten into fights within her own family, and with the families of her beaux over this issue, both groups thinking she is using Jeremy’s syndrome and disabilities as an excuse as well.  If you want to know more about this or read the fanfic story, e-mail me, and I’ll send the link.

My opinion: it is a very bad idea to spank a child who is so mentally damaged that (s) he cannot possibly comprehend the difference between right and wrong, usually if your child has severe effects of Shaken Baby Syndrome, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, cerebral palsy, etc.  I think the reason why SBS information websites don’t have a section on discipline techniques is because the experts know these kinds of children don’t respond well to the kinds of discipline that would work on a normal, able-bodied child, especially not spanking.  I urge any parent who is in this situation to listen to their doctors if they advise against spanking and other punitive measures (and they would) and follow whatever advice they would give to them.  Perhaps they will suggest getting down to the child’s level and telling them politely, yet firmly, that they should not be doing what they are doing, like Valerie does, or even redirecting the child.  That said, I wonder what Monica and Marshall would do if they had a child that turned out like Jeremy in my fanfic.  Give the child away to another family, perhaps?

My second writing project is a real novel I just started called “Broken Family Portrait.”  My protagonist is Robin Callbeck, who, like me, has lifelong effects of cerebral palsy due to premature birth.  Besides physical and learning disabilities, Robin also has serious brain damage, which includes a brain filter (the part that censors thoughts so you don’t say them aloud) that doesn’t work; therefore, he says whatever he thinks and is very prone to talking back.  Robin’s military soldier father, who ironically dotes on two of his three older sisters (especially his eldest, Abilene) regularly beats him with his hands, belts and whatever else.  When Robin is hospitalized after his final beating, his mother decidedly acts as both parent and friend toward him when she takes the children away from this, and when he takes on a stepfather, he acts as both parent and friend as well, and Robin adores him.  (Sisters Abilene and Olivia, however, have no respect for their mother since the divorce, and unsuccessfully try to break up their mother’s new relationship.)  Robin insists to other people that he is okay with this arrangement, but many refuse to believe him.  Those who don’t believe him often bring up the spanking debate with him, which often makes him “hot tongued” so to speak.  His ability to say what he thinks eventually lands him a career as a talk radio personality, and he is so controversial.  Robin is so hung up on anti-spanking, that he refuses to change his mind about it after he finds out he is a parent.

Is Robin a “selfish, horrible adult” as grandmashari puts it?  Well, Robin’s stance on spanking gets him more enemies than friends in high school; he kicks his unfaithful wife out of his life after she bears a son that he finds out he did not father; goes on an anti-female tirade phase as a result; fights with Abilene about family togetherness (she herself is in an abusive relationship in which she and her children are beaten;) fights with his brothers-in-law about this whole “spanking vs. abuse” debate, as well as about all his anti-spanking friends; implodes on anyone else who challenges him on this debate; and vows “revenge justice” on pro-spanking adult siblings who try to kill him over his beliefs (he suspects one sibling and his spouse of killing his friend years before, who has an SBS child.)  You tell me!

I’m sorry if this post is so long, but this is how I incorporated spanking into my writing.  I think you’ll find this interesting.  If you have any questions, please e-mail me at davewriter2003@yahoo.com.  I don’t think these message boards will accept this kind of conversation.  Thank you for reading.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last