Message Boards

Topic : 08/06 Nuptial Nightmares

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 16, 2008, 02:19:56 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/19/08) Many little girls dream of the perfect wedding day with a fairytale gown, beautiful flowers and their handsome groom, but Dr. Phil's guests say their wedding bells hit a sour note. Amy says the day she and Steve tied the knot turned into a disaster. The sun scorched the guests, then there was a downpour, the wedding arch fell and hit the pastor, and the cake crumbled as they were cutting it. She says it was a huge dream shattered, and she can't move past it. Steve says he had a blast, and Amy needs to lighten up. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, shortly after Mandy and her husband, Kris, said "I do," a three-story deck collapsed, and they and 30 of their family and friends were seriously injured.  Mandy says she left her wedding strapped to a stretcher, and she and Kris spent their wedding night in the emergency room. Although this took place over two years ago, the couple thinks about it every day. How can they overcome their guilt? And, Kurt and Brandi recently renewed their vows because they say they wanted a fresh start to their seven-year marriage. Just months after their ceremony, Kurt filed for divorce when he found out a secret Brandi had been keeping. Will the results of polygraph tests inspire this couple to make their marriage work or end it for good? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 19, 2008, 1:21 pm CDT

08/06 Nuptial Nightmares

Quote From: jewelsf

That's a lot of metaphors! But reading them is actually interesting. Does kind of make someone think? Hmmmm. So you are one of those, one who believes that there are no accidents? I can't remember who's theory that is. Freud's? Personally I do believe in accidents! I find it too hard to believe that everything bad that happens is a subconscious thought. Maybe this particular princess is just a lousy wedding planner, especially when it came to her own? It doesn't really matter what theory we may believe, one thing is completely and totally obvious, this woman (and I use that term loosely) needs to grow up and find a little maturity. I only ask for a little because full blown maturity is asking for too much from her. Maybe in another 20 years or so. When Amy has to face a "real" problem in life she will be ill prepared to handle it. I really feel for this husband, he's going to have his hands full! I can think of another term or word for Amy, high maintenance. As to the topic of Brandi, I don't really remember that show or if I did I wouldn't remember her expression, so I have no input on that.

Hey, put a shrimp on the barbie for me would ya?

When my kids were small I was told all accidents are preventable.  It is by carelessness that accidents happen.  A child not supervised properly could be hurt by falling off a chair.  Doesn't mean you have to follow all children around to make sure there isn't an accident, but it was preventable (by the child not climbing on the chair).  Can you imagine if everyone walked on eggs so much to prevent accidents, no one would take chances.  So yes accidents aren't accidental, they can be prevented... but then you couldn't fly for the fear of falling.  As far as being sub-conscience mind causing them, that is in a way true, how many people have that little voice say "if you do this, this may happen" then do it anyway, thinking "naa this won't happen to me".

August 19, 2008, 3:26 pm CDT

Change of Attitude Part 2

That's a lot of metaphors! But reading them is actually interesting. Does kind of make someone think? Hmmmm. So you are one of those, one who believes that there are no accidents? I can't remember who's theory that is. Freud's? Personally I do believe in accidents! I find it too hard to believe that everything bad that happens is a subconscious thought. Maybe this particular princess is just a lousy wedding planner, especially when it came to her own? It doesn't really matter what theory we may believe, one thing is completely and totally obvious, this woman (and I use that term loosely) needs to grow up and find a little maturity. I only ask for a little because full blown maturity is asking for too much from her. Maybe in another 20 years or so. When Amy has to face a "real" problem in life she will be ill prepared to handle it. I really feel for this husband, he's going to have his hands full! I can think of another term or word for Amy, high maintenance. As to the topic of Brandi, I don't really remember that show or if I did I wouldn't remember her expression, so I have no input on that.

Hey, put a shrimp on the barbie for me would ya?

I think I need to reiterate something here.  My post had nothing to do with Amy, although she was the topic.  It had to do with changing my own attitude towards her.  Amy is Amy.  I can't change other people.  I can only change myself (if that's what I want to do).

How do you like you prawns cooked?

Steve

August 19, 2008, 9:03 pm CDT

I Understood..........

Quote From: steveig

I think I need to reiterate something here.  My post had nothing to do with Amy, although she was the topic.  It had to do with changing my own attitude towards her.  Amy is Amy.  I can't change other people.  I can only change myself (if that's what I want to do).

How do you like you prawns cooked?

Steve

I understood the point that you were making. I just added "my" own opinions about Amy there unsolicited from you. LOL!! But yes, I did get it. I told you that it did make me think didn't I? I happened to find it very interesting!

Sauteed with garlic and butter! When should I be there?

Jewels

October 6, 2008, 12:12 pm CDT

08/06 Nuptial Nightmares

I remember this show from the first time that it aired. Right now the only thing that I wish to respond to is concerning the wedding cake for the first couple. First of all, this woman claims that she is a wedding consultant or something such as that. Well, as a woman who bakes wedding cakes, I would have known that the cake was going to melt and collapse on a hot summer day after being out there for so long. When you plan a wedding you have to take everything into consideration when it comes to the cake, not just what it will look like.

Let's see, my guess is that it was frosted with buttercream and had a creamy filling on the inside. You would be lucky if the cake falling was the only thing that happened because the filling could very easily give the guests food poisoning. And what is buttercream frosting made of? White Crisco! And what does Crisco do in the heat? It melts! What a huge surprise! If you want your cake displayed in the heat, which I would never advise in the first place, it needs to be frosted with a glaze and then covered with fondant. The layers need to have a jam filling such as lemon curd or raspberry jam. I don't even know why the bakery didn't warn her about this unless she thought that the bride knew what she was doing. Otherwise, if you want the type of cake with buttercream frosting and a creamy filling, keep it refrigerated until ready to cut or at the very least, keep it in a very chilly room and for not very long prior to cutting and serving.

Although I have no pity for this hysterical bride, I do want to help any future brides out there who may not know much about this and in case their bakery doesn't go over this with them. The last thing that you want is to have food poisoning on your honeymoon!

The bakery probably did think "wedding planner" Amy knew what she was doing. Personally, I think a jam-filled, fondant-frosted cake would be better than one covered with that trans-fatty powdered sugar and Crisco crap. Better looking. And, better tasting.

First | Prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | Next Page | Last Page