Message Boards

Topic : 08/06 Nuptial Nightmares

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 16, 2008, 02:19:56 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/19/08) Many little girls dream of the perfect wedding day with a fairytale gown, beautiful flowers and their handsome groom, but Dr. Phil's guests say their wedding bells hit a sour note. Amy says the day she and Steve tied the knot turned into a disaster. The sun scorched the guests, then there was a downpour, the wedding arch fell and hit the pastor, and the cake crumbled as they were cutting it. She says it was a huge dream shattered, and she can't move past it. Steve says he had a blast, and Amy needs to lighten up. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, shortly after Mandy and her husband, Kris, said "I do," a three-story deck collapsed, and they and 30 of their family and friends were seriously injured.  Mandy says she left her wedding strapped to a stretcher, and she and Kris spent their wedding night in the emergency room. Although this took place over two years ago, the couple thinks about it every day. How can they overcome their guilt? And, Kurt and Brandi recently renewed their vows because they say they wanted a fresh start to their seven-year marriage. Just months after their ceremony, Kurt filed for divorce when he found out a secret Brandi had been keeping. Will the results of polygraph tests inspire this couple to make their marriage work or end it for good? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 17, 2008, 9:39 am CDT

wedding blues

'Sounds to me like too much emphasis on the "event" rather than the marriage. My husband and I were married 38  years ago and it rained all day. Get real! The bad weather had no bearing on the success or failure of our marriage. Young people today seem so spoiled and used to having Mommy or Daddy make everything "perfect" throughout their lives, that they have often  not had to face a disappointment or a challenge.

PS:  The idea of young people having "trial marriages" etc. is disturbing to me. If both parties don't go into a marriage with commitment and the determination to work through problems and issues, it's doomed from the beginning.

May 17, 2008, 10:09 am CDT

nuptial nightmares

You know, I do not know what her secret yet, but unless she has a tail, a penis or has slept with his father, GET OVER IT!  After 7 years it apparently aint that bad!  You sometimes we have just got to let go of the past because that is what it is.  Some things we just cannot change.  People we have slept with in the past, bad tast, Dr. Phil not having any hair, just kidding Dr. Phil, I think you are darn sexy with no hair, if you had hair, I might not think that you were sexy, so do not try and grow any!  But it is time to let it go and move on.  Love you wife and leave the past behind,it is what it is the past, some things you just cannot change.  I have MS I cannot wear heels, so I just have to get over it, I have get over that secret, and keep it just that a secret, do not let it wreck you life.  If you really love this lady, do just that love her and leave that other mess alone, move past it, let that mess go.  Is it work losing everything; if it is then go for what you know, it it is not then move on.  I have been married 28 years, and there have been times when I have wanted to pinch my husbands head off, but then what would I have to look at after I would have pinched it off, the same thing applies to the secret after you have wrecked your marriage.  Believe me honey, the grass aint greener, they have just used green dye.

Sherry

May 17, 2008, 10:13 am CDT

Don't feel rained on!

We were married almost 26 years ago; Sunday May 30, 1982. The Friday before my car broke down and the on Saturday my husbands truck broke down. We rode to our wedding, which was about 60 miles away, with my parents and back with my grandparents. The preacher dropped the rings in the middle of the ceremony and we were scrambling all over the church trying to find them. We borrowed a vehicle from my dad so we could get home that evening (you guessed it! no honeymoon here) and it broke down about 5 miles from the nearest telephone. So we walked. I wasn't dressed for it and the bottom of my bare feet were in kind of rough shape after walking home on very hot pavement. I wasn't really happy with how the day went but 26 years later, we just laugh about it.

So what if it was a tough wedding day! Make up for it by having a whole lot of WONDERFUL years afterwards!

May 17, 2008, 10:22 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Mares Night Nuptial Phil. Doctor Phil I Think that Mares Night Nuptial is a fake one. See you on------

Monday May 19th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------------------------- 

May 17, 2008, 10:48 am CDT

Nuptial Nightmares

I can understand your feelings withthe different things that happened to each of you . I too had similar fate befall our wedding day. When I was out getting my hair and make-up on preparing for our wedding that was scheduled for 3 pm that day. My husbands brother wanted to go water skiiing, so his parents, brother, and husband to be went out on the boat. His brother water skiied but then got tired, hubby took a turn and when he told them to slow down they thought he said speed up and he was pulled forward. He was in the emergency room with a sprained back. The woman who was taking me around for my hair got a call from her hubby and told to bring me home. I get in his house, told hubby to be was in hospital, and that I can not go see him until I stopped crying. I went to the hospital, walk in to where he was, He did not recognize me until I said it three times who I was, also we did not need to get married that day. He insisted we will still be married that day, one hour late, 3 pain killer pills, and NO SMILES in the wedding photos except for one, and on the bottom of his shoes was written SHE WON causing snickers from the guests. Our wedding cake was multicolored due to the freezing and unfreezing of it because we were not sure if we would be married that day. Then to top that off Wedid not have a honeymoon as he was not allowed to leave town with a sprained back. Which by the way We never had that honeymoon! So things can happen on your wedding day and it can last you a long time. We will be married 28 years in June on the 28th. It is not a day that resounds with yahoo as it did in the moment I said I do.

For those who say get over it. Place yourselves in the shoes of those unlucky brides who have had to endure some bad things during their day.Your day may have been perfect but there are some of us that our day was ruined by whatever reason. Until you walk a mile in their shoes one should not judge if one should be over such things. Reminders of those horrors from their wedding day are a reminder when they pull out their wedding photos to show. I should know as I never take my photos out for they say to me, he was very unhappy to be getting married to me this day and he was in way to much pain. I do not feel like saying each and every time if I should show them why he is not smiling, stiff, and unpleasant looking.

(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))to all of us who have lived through this.

May 17, 2008, 11:31 am CDT

Nuptial Nightmares

Quote From: vscole

'Sounds to me like too much emphasis on the "event" rather than the marriage. My husband and I were married 38  years ago and it rained all day. Get real! The bad weather had no bearing on the success or failure of our marriage. Young people today seem so spoiled and used to having Mommy or Daddy make everything "perfect" throughout their lives, that they have often  not had to face a disappointment or a challenge.

PS:  The idea of young people having "trial marriages" etc. is disturbing to me. If both parties don't go into a marriage with commitment and the determination to work through problems and issues, it's doomed from the beginning.

Yesterday would have been my 44th anniversary; however, my husband passed away 10 years ago just after our 34th anniversary.  I still love him till this day.  Did we have a picture perfect wedding day?  Not really, but, who cares?  We had a pretty good marriage and that's really all that matters.  I agree that these people need to get real, get over themselves, and get on with life.  I don't even want to hear about their wedding day being not what they dreamed of.

May 17, 2008, 1:03 pm CDT

brat camp

this is so sad i have never seen kids this unruley since watching supernanny,i had 5 boys and they were not that  bad,parents let there kids run all over them you have to teach them at a very young age whos boss,that way they know when you say no you mean it,and also remember not to disapline in anger,i used to take things they like alot from them or if to young for that they get time out.they soon found out who was boss lol

May 17, 2008, 3:51 pm CDT

Wedding Day

If couples would put as much emphasis on planning the marriage as they do the wedding, there would be fewer divorces.  The wedding is one very expensive day, and if it's the high point of your life, you're in trouble. 

May 17, 2008, 6:09 pm CDT

I know about nightmare

My husband and I got married on Sept 9th,  1987  three days later, which was suppose to be our honeymoon, my husband ended up in the hospital.  To this day we have not had our honeymoon or our 20th wedding annivesary getaway,  all due to illness this time mine not his.  But I must admit the past 20 years  alot of good and good and some bad, we are still going strong.  So I thank the Lord for that despite our illness we still love each other

May 17, 2008, 7:13 pm CDT

Wedding Day.

Quote From: mlcrf4

If couples would put as much emphasis on planning the marriage as they do the wedding, there would be fewer divorces.  The wedding is one very expensive day, and if it's the high point of your life, you're in trouble. 

5/17/2008

Weddings generate great feelings, and that is nice.  But, when one cannot see past the Wedding Day prior to this day; the excitement might be blotting out some realities that they do not want to face. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last