Message Boards

Topic : 05/20 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp

Number of Replies: 464
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 16, 2008, 02:20:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you got a whiny, crying, tantrum-throwing, feet-stomping, door-slamming, spoiled or entitled child? When you ask your child to clean up his or her room does World War III break out? Have you ever thought, Who is running this house, me or my 9-year-old? Four families who say their kids are out of control move out of their madhouse and into The Dr. Phil House. This is no summer camp … it’s Brat Camp! Skylin and Robert are newlyweds with a blended family of five kids. Robert’s two boys, Andrew, 12, and Micah, 8, constantly torment their new sister, Kaitlyn, 8, which causes yelling, crying, screaming and chaos. Helen and Tony recently divorced, but one thing they agree on is that their 9-year-old son, Ethan, lies, steals, cheats and bullies other kids. Lisa says her teen daughter, Haley, is spoiled and unappreciative. Wendy is a single mom who lost her daughter two years ago to brain cancer, and now her 10-year-old son, Noah’s, behavior has spiraled out of control. Are you in a constant battle with your child? It’s time to step up, take back control and create a happy, healthy and peaceful family. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Discuss your views on discipline here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 17, 2008, 6:41 pm CDT

Good Questions

Quote From: shadycat1

This could be interesting I remember the preview the kid slapping his mother "Be quiet, I am speaking ", my first thought and I'm not kidding, " They wouldn't find the body ", then after the knee jerk, I thought, hmm how did the kid get this way in the first place. Now I'm sure we'll hear ADHD be brought up (raised two boys with this disorder, and nope, ADHD is NOT synomous with this type of behavior ).
Is Mom parenting out of guilt ? Or has the boy never LEARNED no hitting, or that kind of backtalk ? How have the adults in his life modeled appropriate behavior, are they the parents who go into a store or retaurant bully the staff, yell at service personel for no other reason than they KNOW that service provider has no recourse or they lose their job ?  Are these the parents that SCREAM at a teacher because the teacher had the NERVE to fail their precious child ?
More seriously, has he learned from the male role models in his life, that this is the way we treat women, or anyone who has the NERVE to not "Toe the Line ", so to speak, and is Mom too tired or too much of a wimp to be the parent he NEEDS, if he needs counselling, then you take him.
How much good are these camps really, if there is nothing in place to change the home environment for these kids to come home to.
I am also tired of these parents that allow their kids to run wild then scream foul when their kids become unruly teens, then instead of being parents, we just send them away and let someone else fix them.
You first thought was funny.  I think we all have been there, but never would we actually do it.

May 17, 2008, 8:17 pm CDT

Brat Camp

Hi Everyone!

I have a 10 yr old grandson that is a full blown brat.The doctor of course says attention deficit disorder,BUT I believe its bad parenting,now his mom was disciplined by us.She says if she spanks him he just laughs,you say take away his psp,xbox,guitar hero,ps3,dirt bike well she does,but then he keeps whineing so she gives in within hours.This same kid gives a kiss my butt look if you try to discipline him.This same child failed 5th grade last yr,made straight f's this year <too lazy>yet he's still free to spend the night with friends,go skateing etc.And because of the wonderful no child left behind law,he will be pushed through to 6th grade,makes sense right?...not!He didnt understand the work for 2 years,but hey lets move him to the next grade.So basically by the time its time to graduate he wont be any smarter!And previous post from other members are correct,every parent is afraid to discipline because their afraid they will go to jail <preety sad> I was spanked+not lightly&guess what I am a good person,have NEVER been to jail+have never done drugs,so I think that parents should be able to discipline,I am not saying abuse,I am just saying give parents their right to discipline their kids,notice how much different kids are since parents cant discipline them.Teen pregnancys are up,kids useing drugs are up,crime etc.Other problem is including my daughter's is,they want to be their kids friend,they dont want their kids to hate them,give me a break,like I said I was spanked&disciplined+I absolutely love my parents!To all of you with brat kids,grandkids etc I wish you well!

May 17, 2008, 9:01 pm CDT

Skylyn & Robert

Just a suggestion, but don't unpack your large bags right away.  I COULD change my mind after the first show, but I'm more anxious for you two!  IF it's possible for you to make it as a couple, you're in the right place though.  LISTEN, don't argue and show a united front with the kids.  Ugh!  Why did you allow yourselves to get in this mess?  Can you say "statistics"?

May 17, 2008, 9:10 pm CDT

05/20 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp

Quote From: applebees

I see the time growing nearer for the prophet Elijah to return... For he is to set the hearts and minds of the children towards the parents.  The kingdom of God is at hand.  These children today are the choice spirits that Heavenly Father has preserved to send forth now in this the last dispensation, the fullness of times, the Meridian even.

I wan to see the brat camp episode.  I'm sure insights will be abound.

God bless

WHAT?  The missionary meeting is at the other end of the hall!!  If you want to comment, stay on point and don't proselytize, please. 

May 17, 2008, 11:02 pm CDT

brat camp

dr phil im so glad u are dealing with brat kids we need more of this on hear & u show i hope u  can have alot more dealing with brats kids i love u show .candlelite

May 17, 2008, 11:20 pm CDT

Brats

When my children were youngsters (now they are in their 20s), I only worked part-time. I got elected onto the School Governing Board of 2 of the 3 schools they attended and although this volountary work was adding to my 'burden' it was so worth it. Any problems I had with my children, e.g. mixing with the wrong crowd, not submitting their homework in time, were discussed with the staff and they also would tell me immediateley of any problems and they were addressed at the time and sorted out. There was a great partnership between the school and home and I'm sure both I and my husband had the same problems bringing up our kids as everyone else and made mistakes along the way but our kids always knew we were passionatley interested in all that went on in their lives and when they mis-behaved at school we knew and when we felt wrong decisions were being made we could discuss this with the school.

As I was part of 'The Board' the staff knew they had to keep an eye out for my kids and play by the rules.

You have to invest a lot of time in your children which is difficult and costly but neglected children are the ones who will cause lots of problems which will be more difficult to deal with and cost much more both financially and emotionally. 

Therefore I encourage all to become active in your child's school life, make the teachers your allies. If you can get eleced to the school board do, it makes life so much easier bringing up your children.

As an aside when my eldest was a teenager I used to despair of how to find a punishment when she stepped out of line. The most effective one was humiliation. She loved being part of the cool set and I had a very old car which was the uncoolest car to own, a Skoda, which in the States you won't have heard of. It was made in Eastern Europe and was the ugliest car ever made. My girl did something one day and I punished her by driving her up to the front door of the school in front of all her friends and dropped her off. She was so ashamed that whenever she back chatted or swore etc. I would remind her that if she didn't stop then I would take her to school in my car again. Result!

She is now in her mid 20s and I couldn't be more proud of her or her sibling.

May 18, 2008, 7:04 am CDT

Quote From: shadycat1

This could be interesting I remember the preview the kid slapping his mother "Be quiet, I am speaking ", my first thought and I'm not kidding, " They wouldn't find the body ", then after the knee jerk, I thought, hmm how did the kid get this way in the first place. Now I'm sure we'll hear ADHD be brought up (raised two boys with this disorder, and nope, ADHD is NOT synomous with this type of behavior ).
Is Mom parenting out of guilt ? Or has the boy never LEARNED no hitting, or that kind of backtalk ? How have the adults in his life modeled appropriate behavior, are they the parents who go into a store or retaurant bully the staff, yell at service personel for no other reason than they KNOW that service provider has no recourse or they lose their job ?  Are these the parents that SCREAM at a teacher because the teacher had the NERVE to fail their precious child ?
More seriously, has he learned from the male role models in his life, that this is the way we treat women, or anyone who has the NERVE to not "Toe the Line ", so to speak, and is Mom too tired or too much of a wimp to be the parent he NEEDS, if he needs counselling, then you take him.
How much good are these camps really, if there is nothing in place to change the home environment for these kids to come home to.
I am also tired of these parents that allow their kids to run wild then scream foul when their kids become unruly teens, then instead of being parents, we just send them away and let someone else fix them.

"my first thought and I'm not kidding, " They wouldn't find the body"

hmmm.....have you considered that since the mother already lost one of her children to cancer that she would not want to kill her remaining child?? 

Is Mom parenting out of guilt ?

Again, can't imagine many parents would not harbor some kind of guilt after losing one of their children to the above mentioned disease.

I think you all need to reserve judgement until and unless you have walked a mile in one of their shoes....

May 18, 2008, 9:50 am CDT

Message for the BRAT

When I was raising my son, there were no such things as the kids ruled the roost. This mess is all because of the parents. Why do parents say "ok???" a thousand times rather that, "You WILL do it" or take it away. There are too many obsticles now that take up a child's mind, and non of those help to listen to or do what their parents say. Parents are afraid that if they yell at their child, they will be the monsters, if they take away all their video games (I'm sorry, but the games should not be sold to anyone but an adult, which will never happen) Schools are not babysitters. If the child gets out of hand more than once, get him into a special school or a therapist. I did not have any of these problems when raising my son, he was a good person all his life, and I like to believe that that has something to say about me. Now, as an adult man, he is terrific. Knows his priorities, and calls me at least 3 times a week to see how I am. Parents are afraid to put the kids to bed. They let them stay up, in front of a TV that has nothing but sex and nudity, and drug references starting at 8 pm, and they let the kids stay up until they fall asleep. My son had a bedtime. 9:00 and lights out, door closed, and go to sleep. In the dark. He didn't need a night light on, there were no bogie men under the bed or in the closet. The bedroom was for sleeping, doing homework, and time to reflect on his day. He graduated college with a 4.00 average. It was my discipline that I believe was no harsh punishment, no threats, just do what you are supposed to, and your life will be good. By the way, I raised him myself. My ex-husband hardly saw him. So it can be done without screaming, fighting, hitting ,spanking and any other type of abuse. You have to talk to your children, have an intervention, see that therapist and pray to God that it all helps.

May 18, 2008, 3:04 pm CDT

Quote From: coolscan

"my first thought and I'm not kidding, " They wouldn't find the body"

hmmm.....have you considered that since the mother already lost one of her children to cancer that she would not want to kill her remaining child?? 

Is Mom parenting out of guilt ?

Again, can't imagine many parents would not harbor some kind of guilt after losing one of their children to the above mentioned disease.

I think you all need to reserve judgement until and unless you have walked a mile in one of their shoes....

Did  you read the rest of the post, or did you only focus on that one statement, I ADMITTED it was a KNEE JERK RESPONSE, sheesh.

May 18, 2008, 3:06 pm CDT

Quote From: roaringredhead

You first thought was funny.  I think we all have been there, but never would we actually do it.
 Exactly, sheesh I wasn't actually suggesting that she should or I would Kill a child.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last