Message Boards

Topic : 05/20 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp

Number of Replies: 464
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 16, 2008, 02:20:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you got a whiny, crying, tantrum-throwing, feet-stomping, door-slamming, spoiled or entitled child? When you ask your child to clean up his or her room does World War III break out? Have you ever thought, Who is running this house, me or my 9-year-old? Four families who say their kids are out of control move out of their madhouse and into The Dr. Phil House. This is no summer camp … it’s Brat Camp! Skylin and Robert are newlyweds with a blended family of five kids. Robert’s two boys, Andrew, 12, and Micah, 8, constantly torment their new sister, Kaitlyn, 8, which causes yelling, crying, screaming and chaos. Helen and Tony recently divorced, but one thing they agree on is that their 9-year-old son, Ethan, lies, steals, cheats and bullies other kids. Lisa says her teen daughter, Haley, is spoiled and unappreciative. Wendy is a single mom who lost her daughter two years ago to brain cancer, and now her 10-year-old son, Noah’s, behavior has spiraled out of control. Are you in a constant battle with your child? It’s time to step up, take back control and create a happy, healthy and peaceful family. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Discuss your views on discipline here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 18, 2008, 3:21 pm CDT

Brat Camp.....

I have five wonderful girls who i love dearly.However I sometimes feel that my oldest is way out of hand.Wwhen I ask her to do chores ,she is very argumentative.She also verbally abuses my other children.I really don't like the way she is so defiant.She does however suffer from bipolar,anxiety,adhd and oppotional defiant disorder.I also have another daughter who has anger issues and holds alot of things inside.My third daughter is going through a diagnosis process for autism(i believe pdd-nos)and my fourth daughter is good.Behaves well and listens to most things.My youngest and last daughter she also has anger issues but listens pretty good.

So I can understand that there is a strong need for a camp like this .I would love to have dr. phil help me get control of what is going on with my girls.My husband is overwhelmed and i'm at a loss as to what I should do different.I have tried reward charts,grounding,timeouts,items taken away,amoung other things.To nothing working as of yet.

May 18, 2008, 4:55 pm CDT

SIBLING RIVALRY – OR – SIBLING ABUSE

If you are with in a family relationship with someone, you expect the relationship to grow and deepen over time; you expect a heart connection to be made and maintained.  You operate your life based on this expectation.  When a family member in the relationship does not or cannot make an emotional connection, the relationship becomes very painful.  Some of my favorite books that provide a great introduction and insight into family systems and dysfunctions are:

Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward AND Why is it Always About You?  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss 

What Parents Need to Know About Sibling Abuse:  Breaking the Cycle of Violence by Vernon Wiehe OR Understanding Family Violence:  Treating and Preventing Partner, Child, Sibling and Elder Abuse by Vernon Wiehe

The Narcissistic Family:  Diagnosis and Treatment by Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman and Robert Pressman OR Understanding the Borderline (Parent) Mother:  Helping Her Children Transcend the Intense, Unpredictable and Volatile Relationship by Christine Ann Lawson 

Healthy Boundaries Workbook: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Set and Maintain Better Boundaries by Deborah Deiboldt Legge OR Overcoming Passive-Aggression:  How to Stop Hidden Anger from Spoiling Your Relationships...by Tim Murphy and Loriann Oberlin

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm 

Healing Anxiety and Depression (7 types of anxiety and depression) by Daniel Amen and Lisa Routh OR Getting Help:  The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Self-Assessment and Treatment of Mental Health Problems by Jeffrey Wood

Though harder to spot, emotional abuse is easier to deny.  But just as physical abuse has signposts to mark its presence, emotional abuse, being a systematic attack on one's sense of self, has common traits.  Physical abuse comes in degrees of severity - emotional abuse also runs the gamut of intensity and damage.

There are relationships, marriages and families that are so destructive the only option is for a person to get out.  Get out with the little bit of sanity you may have remaining.  Make a promise to yourself to leave.  Leave so you can begin a life of healing and recovery.  Leave so you can learn to live a joyful, peaceful, trusting, supportive, and fulfilling life.

Hope it helps!

May 19, 2008, 10:00 am CDT

Children

Quote From: cajunlizz0315

WELL , i  HAPPEN  TO  KNOW  THAT PARENTS  CAN only  DO  SO  MUCH  WITHOUT IT  BEING CONSIDERED CHILD    ABUSE .   when  A  PRENTS  SCOLDS , PUNISHES  ,   TAKES  WHAT  INTEREST  CHILD  HAS  AWAY  AND  FORBIDS   HIS  FAVORITE ACTIVITIES  AND  CHILD CONTINUES ,  YOU TELL ME  what  you would  do ?
The child has learned that if he or she can hold out, the reward or activity will still come.  Hold your ground, and if the problem persists, take away more.  Then reinforce good behavior with praise and a slow return of activities and interests.  Hope this helps.

May 19, 2008, 10:05 am CDT

Your Daughters

Quote From: momoffivegirls

I have five wonderful girls who i love dearly.However I sometimes feel that my oldest is way out of hand.Wwhen I ask her to do chores ,she is very argumentative.She also verbally abuses my other children.I really don't like the way she is so defiant.She does however suffer from bipolar,anxiety,adhd and oppotional defiant disorder.I also have another daughter who has anger issues and holds alot of things inside.My third daughter is going through a diagnosis process for autism(i believe pdd-nos)and my fourth daughter is good.Behaves well and listens to most things.My youngest and last daughter she also has anger issues but listens pretty good.

So I can understand that there is a strong need for a camp like this .I would love to have dr. phil help me get control of what is going on with my girls.My husband is overwhelmed and i'm at a loss as to what I should do different.I have tried reward charts,grounding,timeouts,items taken away,amoung other things.To nothing working as of yet.

Have you seen a professional on how to work with children with the various disorders you have mentioned, there are many agencies that can teach you and your husband as well as your children to change behavorial patterns.

May 19, 2008, 11:54 am CDT

Your kidding right?

Quote From: applebees

I see the time growing nearer for the prophet Elijah to return... For he is to set the hearts and minds of the children towards the parents.  The kingdom of God is at hand.  These children today are the choice spirits that Heavenly Father has preserved to send forth now in this the last dispensation, the fullness of times, the Meridian even.

I wan to see the brat camp episode.  I'm sure insights will be abound.

God bless

Do you actually think your answer is the answer to making the children of today right? I can only hope your kidding. There is no one coming in the near future to rescue anyone from the job they have done as parents.

When we were small we got a smack on the rear if we did wrong, we were scolded for whatever was deemed necessary by my mom and dad.  My daughters were spanked until about 5ish also. They knew by then...right was right, wrong was wrong, lying was not acceptable and you treat others as you want to be treated.

My girls nor us as kids would have EVER even thought to act out like these brats.

But if you really think someone is coming to rescue us all your in for a major let down darlin.

May 19, 2008, 12:10 pm CDT

Easier Said than done...

I have a child that does slap me, hit me, bite me, and pull my hair.  It's really easy when you are sitting at the other side and not experiencing it to chalk every problem up to bad parenting.  Not everything is caused by parents who have no backbone or don't stand up to their children.  And just because someone says that the child has a neurological disorder like ADHD or Autism does not mean that the parent is blowing smoke up everyone's rear end.  If you look at the commericial for this particular episode, at the end Dr. Phil says, "I saw you hit your mom, why did you do that?"  The kid says, "to make her see what it feels like."  Maybe parent, instead of being reasonable parent-- let's the kid get away with murder, and then when she hits the breaking point, she slaps the bejesus out of him. 

Anyway, I have been told on COUNTLESS occasions to spank, hit, or otherwise physically discipline my child.  My child has moderate autism.  He doesn't understand what purpose lies in spanking.  If I hit him he wouldn't get it.  Children like the ones on these shows don't need spanking, or to be taught who is boss, they need compassion, routine, and less chaos in the home.  If parents set firm rules and firm expectations, children will meet or exceed those expectations.

May 19, 2008, 1:55 pm CDT

I can't wait for this show!

It's always fun to watch other people's kids act up, but it's so embarassing when their your own.  I predict that Dr. Phil will be focusing more on the parents than their kids.  It will be interesting to see how brat camp parents feel about  the behavior of the'brats' who are not their own.  By the way, it used to drive me crazy to see a toddler throw a tantrum in public, but now I just get jealous!  There are moments in my day where I'd like to have a meltdown, too.

PJ

May 19, 2008, 2:42 pm CDT

05/20 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp

Quote From: kymmlisa

Kids don't wake up one day bad, they are only responding to the way they've been allowed to act their entire lives.  Discipline and respect begins on Day One!  These parents overindulge all their children's lives and then wonder why they have problems later.  DUH!  Remember who is the parent and who is the child!
Dr Phil calls it the tail wagging the dog.

May 20, 2008, 5:31 am CDT

Quote From: shadycat1

Did  you read the rest of the post, or did you only focus on that one statement, I ADMITTED it was a KNEE JERK RESPONSE, sheesh.
I got it. I expect that clip is being shown for it's shock value alone. I know the first time I saw it I was certainly shocked and thought "You've GOT to be kidding me!". I would venture a guess that most of us have never been slapped by our kids? We'll just have to see the show to get the whole story behind that clip.

May 20, 2008, 6:15 am CDT

Quote From: pjbottoms

It's always fun to watch other people's kids act up, but it's so embarassing when their your own.  I predict that Dr. Phil will be focusing more on the parents than their kids.  It will be interesting to see how brat camp parents feel about  the behavior of the'brats' who are not their own.  By the way, it used to drive me crazy to see a toddler throw a tantrum in public, but now I just get jealous!  There are moments in my day where I'd like to have a meltdown, too.

PJ

I don't believe in hitting children!!! But there has been times standing in line at the store, and hearing a child speak so ugly to the clueless parent, I just want to thump the child in the mouth and thump the parent in the head, and say shut up the the child, and why are you letting your child speak to you this way, get a clue to the parent!!!!!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last