Message Boards

Topic : 05/20 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp

Number of Replies: 464
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 16, 2008, 02:20:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you got a whiny, crying, tantrum-throwing, feet-stomping, door-slamming, spoiled or entitled child? When you ask your child to clean up his or her room does World War III break out? Have you ever thought, Who is running this house, me or my 9-year-old? Four families who say their kids are out of control move out of their madhouse and into The Dr. Phil House. This is no summer camp … it’s Brat Camp! Skylin and Robert are newlyweds with a blended family of five kids. Robert’s two boys, Andrew, 12, and Micah, 8, constantly torment their new sister, Kaitlyn, 8, which causes yelling, crying, screaming and chaos. Helen and Tony recently divorced, but one thing they agree on is that their 9-year-old son, Ethan, lies, steals, cheats and bullies other kids. Lisa says her teen daughter, Haley, is spoiled and unappreciative. Wendy is a single mom who lost her daughter two years ago to brain cancer, and now her 10-year-old son, Noah’s, behavior has spiraled out of control. Are you in a constant battle with your child? It’s time to step up, take back control and create a happy, healthy and peaceful family. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Discuss your views on discipline here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 20, 2008, 6:50 am CDT

Brat?

I am not sure that Noah is the BRAT, I think his mother is a BRAT! She is a bully and is the example for her son. She acts bratty so why shouldn't he? She needs help to get over her depression.  Just look at how she looks at him, that is not a look of love. She lost a child, he lost a sibling. He is paying for that loss. This family needs therapy!

May 20, 2008, 7:26 am CDT

Brat camp

I was disconcerted when I viewed today's aired episode of Brat Camp. I have a 12 year old son on the autism spectrum and felt so bad for Ethan( the boy in the red shirt).

My husband have not given our son everything he wanted , when he wanted it. He does not have a t.v. or computer in his room. We do not have cable and just got online last year! I have friends that joke we're Luddites:) We did not give him the latest cell phone , I got us each a cheap pay as you go phone. That's right , no camera or internet!

Seriously , there are many children on the autism spectrum that behave the way Ethan and Noah do. I could sense their genuine frustration and thought of my son. KIds on the spectrum behave as if they are entitled to everything and are very difficult to be around.

My son has no concept of consequences , acts self centered , rude , interrupts , yells and has massive meltdowns that rival the fussiest 2 year old!

We have him in a social skills group and he is improving. We finally got a 504 plan at school that we can live with.

If Dr.Phil is worth his phd on paper , then do a service to some of these kids. Maybe they could be tested. It would be interesting if these kids in Brat Camp were tested.

May 20, 2008, 7:37 am CDT

male role model

Quote From: shadycat1

This could be interesting I remember the preview the kid slapping his mother "Be quiet, I am speaking ", my first thought and I'm not kidding, " They wouldn't find the body ", then after the knee jerk, I thought, hmm how did the kid get this way in the first place. Now I'm sure we'll hear ADHD be brought up (raised two boys with this disorder, and nope, ADHD is NOT synomous with this type of behavior ).
Is Mom parenting out of guilt ? Or has the boy never LEARNED no hitting, or that kind of backtalk ? How have the adults in his life modeled appropriate behavior, are they the parents who go into a store or retaurant bully the staff, yell at service personel for no other reason than they KNOW that service provider has no recourse or they lose their job ?  Are these the parents that SCREAM at a teacher because the teacher had the NERVE to fail their precious child ?
More seriously, has he learned from the male role models in his life, that this is the way we treat women, or anyone who has the NERVE to not "Toe the Line ", so to speak, and is Mom too tired or too much of a wimp to be the parent he NEEDS, if he needs counselling, then you take him.
How much good are these camps really, if there is nothing in place to change the home environment for these kids to come home to.
I am also tired of these parents that allow their kids to run wild then scream foul when their kids become unruly teens, then instead of being parents, we just send them away and let someone else fix them.
Dr. Phil always says the strongest role model for the child is the same sex parent.  Where is Noah's dad?

May 20, 2008, 7:42 am CDT

brat camp is great!!

Hooray for Dr. Phil!! I agree with him. There are many kids in America that need to be in a brat camp. My son is 16 and he is not  a brat. He is just spoiled and very lazy. It is harder now than ever before to raise children. I am a christian mother and it is extremely hard to raise good, christian children. I fall very short sometimes. We as parents have to deal with more negative infulences from society and drugs than ever before in history.  If you are a parent raising a brat, dont give up, just pray and get help.  It is so hard being a good mother these days.

May 20, 2008, 7:49 am CDT

Have I got a brat for your camp...

I have a 12 year old nephew who has physically accousted his mom and dad, had the cops called on him more than once, has told him mom that he was going to drive a knife into her skull and even told his father the other day that he better "sleep with his eyes open". Noone seems to know what to do with him and I'm afraid it is going to go on until something really bad happens that destroys his chances to turn his temper around and have a happy, productive life.

May 20, 2008, 7:53 am CDT

Watchng my son

Dr Phil! Thank You so much for airing this show. I have a 11 yr old name Joshua and he is Ethan and Noah rolled in to one. For a long time I though I was the only one going through this. Wow! It's very frustrating when you are try everything and nothing works. The only thing Joshua hasn't do was hit me and I just pray that never happens, Cause I honestly don 't know how I will react. I think Oliver handle herself very well. I totally get that having a yelling match with him will not solve the problem and I just learned that. He has services, he is on probation, he's very aggressive in school towards the staff and students, he's tries to urinate in the class room when he's out of control that's just a little of what I go through. Now! on a positive note Joshua is the sweetest child, very smart and very giving. I know that something is going on with my son and he won't talk about it to no one. I'm scared for him and sometimes I'm even scared for his siblings, cause you never know when he' s gonna go into a rage. My biggest fear is them removing him from my home. I love my son dearly. And to see him struggle everyday breaks my heart. What do I do.

May 20, 2008, 8:08 am CDT

kids judgeing parents??

when did kids become the judges to their parents???my parents didn't hit us that often but if we acted up we did get a spanking...and I didn't always agree with them but they were the growns up and knew things about life and the world and I had to trust that they knew best,and there were those things they did that I said I'd never do to my kids(most of them I did do with my kids lol)

did anyone else see the little smiles on those kids face when dr. phil said something about the parent's being wrong..?thats what these kids want!! to get there own way!!! for many years I have seen kids tell there parents if they didn't get their way they were going to call child servies..kids see things with the eyes of a child..one of the kids said he TAP his mother 2x with his elbow but she HIT him with her's..eye's of a child..

what I don't understand why dr phil play's in to this....maybe it's time to tell these kids..your parents know/or are doing what they think is best.and do as your told..and when your grown MOVE OUT!!!!and do as you please!!! I think one of the biggest problem is people seem to think they are on this earth to judge everyone else behavor..not our own...dr phil please stop acting like this is ok..how about telling these kids"I'M not going to talk about whats wrong with your parents..let's just talk about your behavior"kids have to trust their parent and they can't do that if they hear people talking bad about them...and the most important thing these kids need to learn is to judge their own behavior not other,because thought out their lifes they are going to meet alot of poeple who are going to do thing you do like and they are not going to change them, you can only change./control your own behavior..

our world has enough judges..their judging muslim,blacks..gays,non-english speaking people..and those right-to -life'r who kill to prove there right!....AND NOW PARENTS

my boys didn't like every thing I told them to do and those things we talk about but in the end I 'm the mother and I know best...

May 20, 2008, 8:15 am CDT

05/20 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp

Quote From: unita36

Dr Phil! Thank You so much for airing this show. I have a 11 yr old name Joshua and he is Ethan and Noah rolled in to one. For a long time I though I was the only one going through this. Wow! It's very frustrating when you are try everything and nothing works. The only thing Joshua hasn't do was hit me and I just pray that never happens, Cause I honestly don 't know how I will react. I think Oliver handle herself very well. I totally get that having a yelling match with him will not solve the problem and I just learned that. He has services, he is on probation, he's very aggressive in school towards the staff and students, he's tries to urinate in the class room when he's out of control that's just a little of what I go through. Now! on a positive note Joshua is the sweetest child, very smart and very giving. I know that something is going on with my son and he won't talk about it to no one. I'm scared for him and sometimes I'm even scared for his siblings, cause you never know when he' s gonna go into a rage. My biggest fear is them removing him from my home. I love my son dearly. And to see him struggle everyday breaks my heart. What do I do.
I'm sorry...you kind of lost me. Who is Oliver?

May 20, 2008, 8:30 am CDT

Seems Mother is Example

I really felt sorry for the child Noah who accuses his mother of abusing him then slapped her when she kept acting so innocent & in control with the cameras on her.  Where do you think he learned how to slap like that, Dr. Phil?  She looked like she wanted to lay one across him almost the entire time they were having their "talk" and I bet she would have if they'd been at home!  When it came time for you to hear what Noah had to say, I was disappointed how you pretty much just blew him off.  I know you were showing him that you were the one in control, but I feel you should have given that child a more listening ear.  He is clearly a frustrated little boy & needs to be heard (but maybe you'll do that later).  He is only 10 years old but you talked to him like he was an adult.  I think it was you who once said that because of a child's limited vocabulary, they will "act out" from their frustration of not being heard.  I thought you were supposed to be the "voice" for children.  I never heard you ask Noah's mom if she does hit him.  Do you think his mom is innocent of the abuse Noah is claiming??  I'm not convinced.  I love you Dr. Phil, your show, and your advice, but so far I'm very worried that this boy feels that his only hope (YOU) are going to side with his mom and just silence him.  His mom needs as much help as he does.  I look forward to the conclusion. 

May 20, 2008, 9:01 am CDT

05/20 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp

I'm not through watching the show yet, but I'm blown away at Dr Phil's insensitivity to Noah's plight.  "Was it a nudge or a hit?  You said it was a hit, so which is it?  Don't lie to me".  This poor kid can't get a break.  He obviously considers all of her physical rebuttals a hit, because she always goes overboard with it.  He's 10 yrs old Dr Phil, surely you can disipher what he really means, without badgering him.  Gimme a break. His mother came from an abusive background.  She has taught him all of his improper behaviors.  No child can respect an adult who does not respect them.  They'll either cower and secretly hate their offender or fight back and hate openly.  He is a highly and unusually intelligent child for 10 and he mirrors her entirely.  She has filled him with rage, the SAME rage she herself was raised with and now spews on her own baby boy.  The hate in her eyes for her only remaining child  was palpable.  I could feel it through the television.  She would be wise to recognize that he feels the same towards her and take great care to tread lightly from here on out, for the sake of their future together.  If there is to be one at all.  Be very careful my dear.  If you continue to tormant and push your son,  because you're such a miserably depressed and angry women, one day he may make you pay with your life.  This is your wakeup call.  STOP lying and take responsibility for your repugnant behavior. Your son is STILL desparate for your love (don't know why).  I don't approve of him slapping you or telling you to shut up, but he clearly was doing what you taught him.  The fact that he'd asked you, "How does it feel?  It doesn't feel good does it?  I"M NOT A DOG", says volumes.  I saw the lightbulb go off in your head, you got it right then and there did'nt you?  You can't lie and have adults buy your bullsh*t  lady.  Even your son who's 10 has got you all figured out and that seriously chaps your *ss.  Fills you with MORE rage doesn't it?  You'e not just emotionally stunted and immature, you're transparent as well.  Remember serial killers aren't born evil, they're created by childhood experiences.  Their nastiness has to be nurtured and cultivated over time.  Up to this point  I'd say you're doing a darn skippy job of creating one.  What a good mommy.

In the end when he' old enough and moves out and permanantly away from you (and he will, don't kid yourself sister) hopefully his hate will only be for you and not ALL women. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last