Message Boards

Topic : 05/20 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp

Number of Replies: 464
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 16, 2008, 02:20:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you got a whiny, crying, tantrum-throwing, feet-stomping, door-slamming, spoiled or entitled child? When you ask your child to clean up his or her room does World War III break out? Have you ever thought, Who is running this house, me or my 9-year-old? Four families who say their kids are out of control move out of their madhouse and into The Dr. Phil House. This is no summer camp … it’s Brat Camp! Skylin and Robert are newlyweds with a blended family of five kids. Robert’s two boys, Andrew, 12, and Micah, 8, constantly torment their new sister, Kaitlyn, 8, which causes yelling, crying, screaming and chaos. Helen and Tony recently divorced, but one thing they agree on is that their 9-year-old son, Ethan, lies, steals, cheats and bullies other kids. Lisa says her teen daughter, Haley, is spoiled and unappreciative. Wendy is a single mom who lost her daughter two years ago to brain cancer, and now her 10-year-old son, Noah’s, behavior has spiraled out of control. Are you in a constant battle with your child? It’s time to step up, take back control and create a happy, healthy and peaceful family. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Discuss your views on discipline here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 20, 2008, 9:05 am CDT

05/20 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp

Quote From: christylu

I really felt sorry for the child Noah who accuses his mother of abusing him then slapped her when she kept acting so innocent & in control with the cameras on her.  Where do you think he learned how to slap like that, Dr. Phil?  She looked like she wanted to lay one across him almost the entire time they were having their "talk" and I bet she would have if they'd been at home!  When it came time for you to hear what Noah had to say, I was disappointed how you pretty much just blew him off.  I know you were showing him that you were the one in control, but I feel you should have given that child a more listening ear.  He is clearly a frustrated little boy & needs to be heard (but maybe you'll do that later).  He is only 10 years old but you talked to him like he was an adult.  I think it was you who once said that because of a child's limited vocabulary, they will "act out" from their frustration of not being heard.  I thought you were supposed to be the "voice" for children.  I never heard you ask Noah's mom if she does hit him.  Do you think his mom is innocent of the abuse Noah is claiming??  I'm not convinced.  I love you Dr. Phil, your show, and your advice, but so far I'm very worried that this boy feels that his only hope (YOU) are going to side with his mom and just silence him.  His mom needs as much help as he does.  I look forward to the conclusion. 

Excellant Christy!  I couldn't agree more.  Shame on you Dr Phil.  You're not listening to Noah any better than his abusive moher.   Where there's smoke there's fire. Dig deeper.

May 20, 2008, 9:23 am CDT

I have three children

sometimes I lose the control with my children . I cry,shout and my feet hit the floor I feel I am fail with them but this time when I leave them free without supervision they make quarrel with us and shout high voice .

when they go to school all the teacher thank for them and saying they are clevers and polites but in home when I am with them alone without your father they always don't  heare what I say they ingnore me then I shout and become hard they make which I told thim. my husband says you are lenient with them but they love me and told me every thing in your life of course they young 9 years , 6 years and 3 years but there are many things can tell me . I think there are one hair between we become friends with respect me or they don't respect me . some friends older than me give me advice they said you must don't wait the respect from your children and you forget this with yourself before they impose not  respect . but I can't believe that.

May 20, 2008, 9:29 am CDT

Wherein lies the wrong?

Dr.Phil,

I can only speak from experience, but my opinion is that both the parents and children need help.  I feel most strongly about Noah and his mother though.  Your comments about her daughters death and the fact that she essentially gave up then is true in my opinion.  I do feel however that the child is in some desperate need of some kind of behavioral health management.  In my opinion he is out of control and the older he gets the worse he will become.  The family needs to find other options than physical means to resolve problems. He (Noah) has no respect for anyone including his mother.  Noah needs a wake up call because as he gets older it will not be his mother on the other end of his anger but someone else who is just as angry as he is, the end results could be really bad for Noah.

May 20, 2008, 10:28 am CDT

Quote From: patpddnos

I was disconcerted when I viewed today's aired episode of Brat Camp. I have a 12 year old son on the autism spectrum and felt so bad for Ethan( the boy in the red shirt).

My husband have not given our son everything he wanted , when he wanted it. He does not have a t.v. or computer in his room. We do not have cable and just got online last year! I have friends that joke we're Luddites:) We did not give him the latest cell phone , I got us each a cheap pay as you go phone. That's right , no camera or internet!

Seriously , there are many children on the autism spectrum that behave the way Ethan and Noah do. I could sense their genuine frustration and thought of my son. KIds on the spectrum behave as if they are entitled to everything and are very difficult to be around.

My son has no concept of consequences , acts self centered , rude , interrupts , yells and has massive meltdowns that rival the fussiest 2 year old!

We have him in a social skills group and he is improving. We finally got a 504 plan at school that we can live with.

If Dr.Phil is worth his phd on paper , then do a service to some of these kids. Maybe they could be tested. It would be interesting if these kids in Brat Camp were tested.

I really really hate when people do that, lump every child with Autism in the same box!!!!!!!!!

NOT ALL CHILDREN ON THE SPECTUM ACT THE SAME!!!!!!! Depending on the where in the spectrum the child is, and verbal skills and understanding, it all a factors in!!!!!!! A child with Autism has to be taught just like every other typical child has to be taught!!!!! To place any child in a box and say this is the way it is, so except it. is wrong, if you place that child in a box just like any other child they will only know the box!!!!!!

My son is on the Spectum, and he is not diffecult to be around, he is not entiled to everthing,

He is 10, and enjoys everthing a 10 year old boy enjoys,

So please don't say all children with Autism act in one certain way, when the Spectrum is very wided and each child is their own person.

May 20, 2008, 10:30 am CDT

funny story

While I feel for the parents who have posted messages (I haven't seen the show yet), as it was a long haul raising my stepson who is 22 and is a nice young man now; a co-worker once told me this story.  When he was a child, he and his younger brother were in the store with their dad.  His younger brother threw a tantrum in the store, so his father decided to drop onto the floor and throw a tantrum along with him!  The kid was so embarrassed, he ran into the restroom crying.  I think that fixed him...I laugh everytime I imagine that happening.

May 20, 2008, 10:36 am CDT

Quote From: saucy20

I wholeheartedly agree with you!

I know way too many grown men and women who are absolute brats who in turn often complain that their own children are brats and they claim to have no idea as to how they got that way!

Exactly. If parents don't raise their kids properly, if they let them do whatever they want to do, & if you don't discipline them, they are going to turn out to be unruly, & out of control. It gets even worse once they reach their adulthood years. I know a relative that lets her own three children do whatever they want to do because "they were grown enough". And look what's happened. Both of her sons wound up being high school dropouts. One of the two already has two children, with a third one on the way! How old is he? About only 19! He does have a job, but that's not going to be enough to support himself & his kids. Now he'll really have to step up & get himself a GED if he is going to succeed in doing that. The other one is only about 15 (turning 16 soon), but she is living over at her aunt's house, which her aunt won't let her wind up like her brothers, thank goodness.

Parents need to take responsibility for letting their children become wild. it is their job to raise them right & teach them right from wrong.

May 20, 2008, 10:57 am CDT

Quote From: housewife52

I got it. I expect that clip is being shown for it's shock value alone. I know the first time I saw it I was certainly shocked and thought "You've GOT to be kidding me!". I would venture a guess that most of us have never been slapped by our kids? We'll just have to see the show to get the whole story behind that clip.
Now that the show has aired, I know that Noah's older sister died four years ago, of an aggressive form of brain cancer. That his mother's reaction to her loss made him feel resented for being the one who lived. During the their taped conversation in the Dr Phil House, Noah slapped his mother to "let her know how it felt" when she'd slap him. I'm not defending or justifying his behavior. But, their relationship suggests that they have some unresolved grief issues. That they need to work through with counseling.

May 20, 2008, 11:15 am CDT

Quote From: binky85

While I feel for the parents who have posted messages (I haven't seen the show yet), as it was a long haul raising my stepson who is 22 and is a nice young man now; a co-worker once told me this story.  When he was a child, he and his younger brother were in the store with their dad.  His younger brother threw a tantrum in the store, so his father decided to drop onto the floor and throw a tantrum along with him!  The kid was so embarrassed, he ran into the restroom crying.  I think that fixed him...I laugh everytime I imagine that happening.

My daughter did the very same thing with her son who was 4 at the time....(in fact, I told this story the other day on these message boards), and he never pulled that stunt again!........he is 22 now, in college, has never gotten into any trouble.

I believe in creative parenting and creative discipline! 

May 20, 2008, 11:16 am CDT

So, Helen is waiting for nine-year-old Ethan to "grow out of his terrible two's"? After seven years, she ought to know that the only things kids "grow out of" are their clothes and shoes. Kids must be guided out of their "terrible two's". That's what discipline is. Guidance rather than punishment. And, if begun early enough, this guidance might, if not prevent the "terrible two's", at least shorten their duration. Now that Ethan is already nine, his parents really have their work cut out for them.

May 20, 2008, 11:24 am CDT

These out-of-control little monsters need WAY more than "brat camp"! Some serious psychological testing and therapy has got to be put into play here...I hope when all is said and done, that Dr. Phil does make that available.

And, by the way, parents, these kids didn't become like this overnight! They are a perfect example of over-indulged, spoiled, undisciplined messes that YOU made!

You thought they were cute when they misbehaved at a young age; you probably laughed when they hit you or threw tantrums then, huh. Not so funny now, is it! You can't allow them to act like fools when they are young, and then suddenly turn on the discipline switch when they are older and are truly off the hook.......what did you expect?

These kids are extremely intelligent.....and cunning....and extremely angry.....a dangerous and explosive combination when you add no discipline ever to that mix! Can you say patricide?

This is what you get when you are self-absorbed and lazy parents! It shouldn't be any surprise to you.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last