Message Boards

Topic : 05/22 Cults?

Number of Replies: 108
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 16, 2008, 02:24:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine living in an extreme religious group where your every move is controlled. Dr. Phil recently examined the aftermath of the raid on the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and now he shines a spotlight on one woman who says she left a religious sect and struggles with life in the outside world. Anna says she was trying to get herself “right with God” when she joined Tony Alamo ministries in 1989. In 2000, she escaped what she calls a cult with her seven children. But her troubles didn’t end there. Her ex-husband visited the family several years ago in December, and Anna let him take four of their kids Christmas shopping. She hasn’t seen them since. Dr. Phil put private investigator Harold Copus on the case. You won’t believe what his search yields. Then, Dr. Phil asks Anna if she uses corporal punishment on the children currently living with her. Anna denies abusing her kids, but what do  Dr. Phil cameras placed in her home show? Why did Child Protective Services remove her kids from the home? Nearly two months have passed since Anna spoke with Dr. Phil, and she still doesn’t have her children back. What does the future hold for this anguished mom, and will her family finally be reunited? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 22, 2008, 11:14 am CDT

05/22 Cults?

Quote From: spacyjo

I am sorry but a Pastor of mine(Iam a Christian) told me that LDS are in fact a cult because they believe that Jesus came twice, during his time here on earth and then to America.  There are several other reasons he stated also in the idea that LDS do not believe the the Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Ghost, and are not batized as such.
I would find a new Pastor, because be preaches ingnorance!!!!!!! and you being his lamb are being lead by ignorance!!!! and no I am not LDS

May 22, 2008, 11:15 am CDT

Right on!

Quote From: shadycat1

I think though, and I could be wrong, been known to happen,
The people who join cults already feel marginalized by society, and are looking for something to make them whole.  These smooth talkers know who to go for, they generally prey on people at their lowest points, who feel empty inside, this fills the void for them.

Right on!  The leader(s) only need a handful of people to control and manipulate.  The leader may promise the core group of followers a place in heaven, but often they are really offering them affirmation and power right here on Earth.  The core people become leaders themselves.  They are often given priveledges other followers are not, (e.g. bigger homes, nicer vehicles, money, status, younger wives)  It becomes much easier to manipulate people when followers give birth to the first, second and third generation.  Early marriages, reproduction on a massive scale and limited outside education are the building stones of a cult.  I apsolutely loath how young women are treated as property

May 22, 2008, 11:39 am CDT

11 Children! Seriously! 11 Children!

I read through most of the messages posted, and it seems a lot of viewers are focused on the first half of the show.  Cults are a great topic, but personally the second half of the show was the eye opener.  I was so shocked to view what was going on in that home.  I was also stunned that one person who obviously is living a really crazy lifestyle (relocation, limited income, living in a cult previously, relationhip issues, child custody issues, drug issues) has given birth to 11 children, and doesn't mind having another.   

I'm going to get a little mean here guys.  I realize that Dr. Phil was trying to emphasize his Self Matters technique, and trying to show this mom and viewers that the plan can work...apparently, for anybody.  BUT, when Dr. Phil said, "It's time to get a selfish here."  Because, that's how Self Matters works.  You need to become selfish and work on yourself so you can bring some value to the world around you.  I totally get that. BUT, I was thinking to myself, "Yeah, Dr. Phil, that's how she got in this boat.  She was being selfish.  Abusing the children verbally, mentally and physically is selfish, calling the children horrible names is selfish, leaving the children alone (unsupervised as stated by Children Services report) is selfish and finally drinking and being caught with dope in the car was really selfish and DUMB!  To bring 11 children and possibly more into her chaotic world is completely SELFISH.  Now, Children Services has her children.  4 children have been taken by their father to be raised in a cult, and 7 children are somewhere in the system. 

If she's willing to work on becoming a different person, I can only hope that Children Services returns custody, because it will be next to impossible to keep those 7 children together.  In large families like that, Children Services seperate the children into clusters; usually by who the father is/was. .

Dr. Phil, I have to ask.  There was a moment when she was beginning to let the tears flow.  It was right after she watched the video of herself interacting with the children.  You caught her in a lie.  She was totally smiling and lieing to your face, until you called her on it.  I don't think she really feels sorry.  When the tears flowed, you looked away.  I honestly don't know if you looked away because you hate to see a woman cry, or because you thought they were crocodile tears. 

May 22, 2008, 1:07 pm CDT

you are wrong Dr Phil

The first thing Anna needs to do is get rid of that thing she calls a fiance. Where the heck is he at why is he not helping instead of making her pregnant. She is not in her right mind to decide to get married. It seems this guy wants nothing to do wiot the kids . He should have already started being a father and helping anna with the discipline. then she needs to get help and then find someine that is going to love her and stand by her and help and not worry about having anymore kids. That fiance is useless. I hope she gets strong and helps herself so that her kids have at least one parent to guide them and make the right choices in life

May 22, 2008, 1:29 pm CDT

Right on the Money~!!

Quote From: roaringredhead

I read through most of the messages posted, and it seems a lot of viewers are focused on the first half of the show.  Cults are a great topic, but personally the second half of the show was the eye opener.  I was so shocked to view what was going on in that home.  I was also stunned that one person who obviously is living a really crazy lifestyle (relocation, limited income, living in a cult previously, relationhip issues, child custody issues, drug issues) has given birth to 11 children, and doesn't mind having another.   

I'm going to get a little mean here guys.  I realize that Dr. Phil was trying to emphasize his Self Matters technique, and trying to show this mom and viewers that the plan can work...apparently, for anybody.  BUT, when Dr. Phil said, "It's time to get a selfish here."  Because, that's how Self Matters works.  You need to become selfish and work on yourself so you can bring some value to the world around you.  I totally get that. BUT, I was thinking to myself, "Yeah, Dr. Phil, that's how she got in this boat.  She was being selfish.  Abusing the children verbally, mentally and physically is selfish, calling the children horrible names is selfish, leaving the children alone (unsupervised as stated by Children Services report) is selfish and finally drinking and being caught with dope in the car was really selfish and DUMB!  To bring 11 children and possibly more into her chaotic world is completely SELFISH.  Now, Children Services has her children.  4 children have been taken by their father to be raised in a cult, and 7 children are somewhere in the system. 

If she's willing to work on becoming a different person, I can only hope that Children Services returns custody, because it will be next to impossible to keep those 7 children together.  In large families like that, Children Services seperate the children into clusters; usually by who the father is/was. .

Dr. Phil, I have to ask.  There was a moment when she was beginning to let the tears flow.  It was right after she watched the video of herself interacting with the children.  You caught her in a lie.  She was totally smiling and lieing to your face, until you called her on it.  I don't think she really feels sorry.  When the tears flowed, you looked away.  I honestly don't know if you looked away because you hate to see a woman cry, or because you thought they were crocodile tears. 

I agree with the above comments, wholeheartedly~!!  I couldn't have put it better.  In my opinion, the lady was lying through her teeth and I'm sorry to say this, but she fooled Dr.  Phil.  Lied from the beginning and will continue to lie.

She will not change, no matter how much help she get.s

May 22, 2008, 1:31 pm CDT

05/22 Cults?

Quote From: faeryedark

Oh yes, I am so jealous esp. of the prarie dresses and the hairstyles, I can't imagine what I'm missing. (sarcasm)  Oh, and sharing my husband, and having 20000 rugrats underfoot.....yes, I'm mising out on paradise, silly me, I thought I had it good until you came along and burst my bubble ROLFL!!! snort snort
Good for you! It's pretty pathetic that people's minds can be so warped that they can see anything positive in living under such conditions. People in jail don't talk about how 'good they've got it' and they've got more freedom that these cults!

May 22, 2008, 1:33 pm CDT

all religon equals *cult*

having spent many years as a *christian*...believing it, learning it, teaching it, living it...coming to the true knowledge of understanding in *what* and *who* 'god'  is has set me free from the grasps of an idealistic and systematically 'taught' belief.....*christianity* is just as much a *cult* as those that are labeled as such!

May 22, 2008, 1:41 pm CDT

Correction

I have to correct one fact.  She has 10 children, not 11, YET. 6 children are in the system, and 4 children are in the cult.  

May 22, 2008, 2:09 pm CDT

I get what you mean,

But I don't think she was acting 'selfish' per se, she was reacting badly to an out- of- control situation. I think her emotions are really messed up. That may be why she cries like that. It would be very hard, to be fair, to sit in front of someone who is as intimidating as Dr. Phil and NOT cry when he's asking the tough questions. That poor woman is one big mess and I'm sure she will get the help she needs now.  With all the stressors she has, she needs all the kind words, compassion and friends she can get. She's not 'evil,' she's just lost. There but for the grace of God.....

May 22, 2008, 2:18 pm CDT

What about Jonesboro

Quote From: rottybeef

ok cults are just plain stupid, and thats that ,just look what happened in wakco

i mean don't we all have better things in life to do.

Remember the mass suicide in Jonesboro,  I think they are stupid too and I also think the law should be able to do something to make sure the kids are taken care of, I could care a less about the adults in that situation they chose to be there, but those kids did not ask to be born.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last