Message Boards

Topic : 05/22 Cults?

Number of Replies: 108
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 16, 2008, 02:24:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Imagine living in an extreme religious group where your every move is controlled. Dr. Phil recently examined the aftermath of the raid on the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and now he shines a spotlight on one woman who says she left a religious sect and struggles with life in the outside world. Anna says she was trying to get herself “right with God” when she joined Tony Alamo ministries in 1989. In 2000, she escaped what she calls a cult with her seven children. But her troubles didn’t end there. Her ex-husband visited the family several years ago in December, and Anna let him take four of their kids Christmas shopping. She hasn’t seen them since. Dr. Phil put private investigator Harold Copus on the case. You won’t believe what his search yields. Then, Dr. Phil asks Anna if she uses corporal punishment on the children currently living with her. Anna denies abusing her kids, but what do  Dr. Phil cameras placed in her home show? Why did Child Protective Services remove her kids from the home? Nearly two months have passed since Anna spoke with Dr. Phil, and she still doesn’t have her children back. What does the future hold for this anguished mom, and will her family finally be reunited? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 17, 2008, 10:55 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

After Cults Doctor Math Phil The. Where did I see this before.Oh no not again in Waco, Texas. Anything----

but in Waco, Texas where Compound was raided. See you on Thursday May 22nd, 2008. Sincerley Your.-

Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 17, 2008, 11:08 am CDT

Hope is in the Lord

My heart breaks for you and the circumstances you face every day. I am so sorry that your children have been hurt in all the adult decisions. It is good to find help.I hope you have a Mom or Dad or relative who can give you a break by watching or occupying your kids for a few hours apart from all the in house and the stress..for just an afternoon or evening once a week so you can think clearly and plan for the upcoming week.
It will be something to look forward to in the constant work caring for children and their needs. For both you and them. Maybe set a goal and reward yourself as your needs arise...with trim and care of your hair,... a new outfit for summer it doesn't even have to be real expensive, just something new, .... a summer concert in the park, or other fun hobby you might enjoy for a few hours to think about something restful and positive.
the Mom who returns to the home after such a break  might be a bit more relaxed. and able to think on  her children's strengths a bit more in stead of always concentrating on the negatives that so often come up......guess how I know???
Many people have times of testing from a child, teen, or other adult. Its how we handle the problem that matters.
Know that I prayed for you and all the family today. If you can get alone with God for a regular time God is very close to the broken hearted...He can do what no other one can. You are loved and I am so glad you are not alone in handling all the tests and trials.. Never give up, Joni in CA

May 17, 2008, 10:11 pm CDT

I can't understand why anyone would suggest...

...more religion to anyone whose abuse was rooted in religion in the first place.

May 17, 2008, 10:22 pm CDT

CULT

Hi my name is Karen and my message is that the FLDS are a pretty bad people and how they run their religion is really bad too. I am a member of the LDS church (not the FLDS church) and when I hear about the FLDS church it puts a bad name on me and I hate that.

May 18, 2008, 1:00 am CDT

Many Cults are Fear-Based

Any person wanting to join a group, whether religious or otherwise, should use their own sound

judgment.

Sound judgment is one thing that a cult leader can never take away from you, no matter how

charismatic or charming they may appear to be.

Remember what the Bible says, "By their fruits, ye shall know them."

Watch what the leader does outside of the group setting.

If a cult leader asks you to do something foolish or dangerous, think to yourself, would Christ want

me to do this ?

These cult leaders are wolves in sheep's clothing.

Remember, dear friends, these so-called cult leaders are only mortals, they are not gods.

These stupid cults are the main reason that I turned my back on Western religions.

As a practitioner of Buddhism & Shitoism, I am always thinking about Lord Buddha & Lady

Amaterasu-o Mikami, my Divine Parents.

May the peace & serenity of Lord Buddha be with you all.

Yours Sincerely,

Lady Michiru

May 19, 2008, 11:59 am CDT

05/22 Cults?

There's nothing wrong with joining a cult.  People who dont know anything about cults are ignorant.

Such as people who are shocked at the discovery of the polygamist camp they're just jealous they're not a member.

May 19, 2008, 12:01 pm CDT

People who fear cults are ignorant

Seriously people who fear cults such as the polygamist compounds or other stuff like Wicca.. people that fear them and whatever else are ignorant.

This is a free country. The right to have different religions and stuff.  If I want to join a polygamist group or Wicca I'll join it

May 19, 2008, 2:23 pm CDT

05/22 Cults?

Quote From: queenslander

Hi my name is Karen and my message is that the FLDS are a pretty bad people and how they run their religion is really bad too. I am a member of the LDS church (not the FLDS church) and when I hear about the FLDS church it puts a bad name on me and I hate that.
The LDS church originally allowed polyamy and its founders, Joseph Smith and Brigham Young had several wives. But, in order for Utah to become a State, the LDS church renounced polygamy. Only such splinter groups as the FLDS still practice it.

May 20, 2008, 9:20 am CDT

goof-ball Tony Alamo....

Tony Alamo was a name I had never heard of until I moved to Santa Clarita, Ca. His compound was located there, in Canyon Country, and he was in the papers a lot. All I can say is, beware of false prophets. Anyone who joins a cult is misguided. Giving your self, your freedoms, your money and your power over to anyone in return for a sense of belonging and conformity in the name of "God" is sad and dangerous. But, some people would rather do that than be in charge or control of their own lives.

May 20, 2008, 9:50 am CDT

cults

ok cults are just plain stupid, and thats that ,just look what happened in wakco

i mean don't we all have better things in life to do.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last