Message Boards

Topic : 05/26 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp, Part 2

Number of Replies: 145
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 23, 2008, 07:35:18 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues his work with four families who say their kids are out of control. They moved out of their madhouse and into The Dr. Phil House to learn how to end the chaos and constant battles, and create a peaceful, loving and happy home. The parents and kids role-play with puppets, but when two kids misbehave, will their exercise become an exercise in futility? After Noah and his mom have another fight, Dr. Phil sits down with them privately to broker peace. Will anger and resentment give way to compassion and forgiveness? Next, all the kids participate in an experiment called Temptation Table – a table is covered with candy, cookies, cell phones and toys. Can all the kids be trusted around Dr. Phil’s Temptation Table? You won’t believe what happens when their parents leave the room! Then, Dr. Phil shows the parents home camera footage of poor parenting situations in their home. Will the parents stop what they’re doing and become a calm, united front for their kids, providing consistent, predictable consequences to bad behavior? One mom’s question has Dr. Phil wondering if he’s wasting his time. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Discuss your views on discipline here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 24, 2008, 9:10 am CDT

Brat camp

I like the idea of the brat camp, as I know Dr. Phil is very capable of helping families. However, I think the biggest problem with the parents in this particular camp, is that they never learned to tell their children NO. I  am a firm believer that a child should NEVER have EVERYTHING they want, and parents HAVE to learn to say NO from the moment that child leaves the womb. Establish boundaries early, and you'll have a lot less problems later (not to say you won't have any, just less). PARENTS, LEARN TO TELL YOUR CHILDREN NO!!!!!

May 24, 2008, 9:35 am CDT

It didn't start now

I just feel that parents do not understand that this just didn't start today, it starts when there old enough to know that you are the parent and they are the child.  I told my children from the beginning "I am your mother" not your friend.  They knew they could come to me for anything.  ANYTHING.  We had a 3 strike rule, you could lie to me once twice and then the third time "look out." I am proud to tell you it never got to 1.

We talked about sex, drugs and drinking and again I am not saying they were angels, no child is, but I will tell you that people envied are relationship. When my son graduated high school he went to a party and had a few drinks.  He and his life long friend drank Tequila.  Well the next morning on the couch was one sad looking boy (who by the way was grounded later) but there was no car in the driveway.  I asked where is your car, he told me he walked home (3 Blocks) because he knew that if he had driven that car, I would have taken an ax to it.  I was upset about the drinking and I told him so, but was proud that he had the sense to not drive.  I would have rather he called me "no questions asked" and then I offered him another drink of Tequila where as he again began to vomit.

I was a single parent at their very young age and I did what I thought was best for them.  I told them that sometimes I make mistakes and that I would appologize and sometimes I did. But I look at these parents and think you created this by not getting a hold on it in the beginning and who is suffering "the child" they are too young to understand "why" why was it ok yesterday and now all off a sudden it is not.

My Mom had a saying "Little Children Little Problems-Big Children Big Problems"

May 24, 2008, 10:22 am CDT

Doctor House Part Phil Show Two.

Brat Camp Final House Part Phil The Two. Well Well Well here we go again another round of Brat Camp

for kids at Doctor House Phil in Los Angeles, California. See you on Monday May 26th, 2008. (Day Memo

rial.) Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 24, 2008, 11:29 am CDT

I have 2 daughters out of control

i have beg for dr phil to help my family my wife let me due to my  Daughters from my first late wife marriage and i got marry to a lady dec 24th 2006 and she has 2 daughters from her first mairrage and since day 1 my 2 daughters age 14 and 15 and try over and over to break us up well we got marry and my sife move 170 miles to where i live and we settle in but the it got worse and worse all the fighting between there step mom and my 2 daughters was out of control and now my wife left me to move back home and she never coming back where i live if we get back together down the road she would not live with my 2 daughters because they are out of control even she gone now they are doing the same to me my wife always said we will never break up due to the girls well it happen and when she move out my 2 girls jump for joy and was laughing that we break up our dad and his wife it really break my heart that i have to go thur this and i have no where to turn for help i love my wife very very much and i wish and pray dr phil would see this and help us 85% of the problems in our mairrage were the girls!!! NEED HELP ASAP

May 24, 2008, 12:19 pm CDT

HELLO

I am so sick of how there is so many parents that wonder why their children are being brats.I know and understand if you give them all they want and let them run your life YOU WILL GET A BRAT!!!!

I have 4 boys.They are all so different.I found out real fast that most of the time if they are acting like a brat they need something or something is wrong. We need to understand that children DO NOT know how to express their feelings sad,anger,what have you. First they will act what they see,If that don't work they act out or like one of my boys shut down.Your children are NOT JUST BRATs for cryn out loud.They need you to see past that and give them a hug.Talk to them!  LISTEN to them.Help them to learn how to express their feelings the right way.

We always hear how kids did not come with a destructions (instructions)

We need to realize they are new at this too!!!! Thats why we are the parents and they are the child.TEACHER PUPIL

I also found out that without JESUS I would not understand any of this.Being my mom left when i was 9 months old.

May 24, 2008, 12:59 pm CDT

Brats Part 2

The parents should have started saying "NO" when the kids started walking and talking.  And should not have stopped saying it somewhere in between then and now. 

My kids were a little spoiled when they were younger but, they never disrespected me to the point of slapping me in the face.    I will admit when my daughter was a teenager she told me one day she  wanted to slap me.  She got grounded and had no phone privileges for 1 week.     That was the end of the wanting to slap me.

May 24, 2008, 6:16 pm CDT

Brat Camp

The young man who slapped his mother...This boy is articulate, and I wonder if he needs more of an outlet, more stimulation then he is getting at home or at school. I do agree that slapping his mother is not right, but I just think he needs things to keep him busy. Maybe if Mom and he did not spend so much time with each other, the problems between them would lessen. Both Mom and son need to talk to someone that deals with grief issues, as well.

Same for the boy who thinks everything is "boring". Get him involved in outside activities. Mom needs to learn how to back off. She kept saying over and over..."you are so disrespectful"....ya think? This is his payoff, annoy Mom and she will give me attention. Get his butt outside to burn off some steam.

May 24, 2008, 8:57 pm CDT

Wish I were this perfect!

Quote From: margaret711

I just feel that parents do not understand that this just didn't start today, it starts when there old enough to know that you are the parent and they are the child.  I told my children from the beginning "I am your mother" not your friend.  They knew they could come to me for anything.  ANYTHING.  We had a 3 strike rule, you could lie to me once twice and then the third time "look out." I am proud to tell you it never got to 1.

We talked about sex, drugs and drinking and again I am not saying they were angels, no child is, but I will tell you that people envied are relationship. When my son graduated high school he went to a party and had a few drinks.  He and his life long friend drank Tequila.  Well the next morning on the couch was one sad looking boy (who by the way was grounded later) but there was no car in the driveway.  I asked where is your car, he told me he walked home (3 Blocks) because he knew that if he had driven that car, I would have taken an ax to it.  I was upset about the drinking and I told him so, but was proud that he had the sense to not drive.  I would have rather he called me "no questions asked" and then I offered him another drink of Tequila where as he again began to vomit.

I was a single parent at their very young age and I did what I thought was best for them.  I told them that sometimes I make mistakes and that I would appologize and sometimes I did. But I look at these parents and think you created this by not getting a hold on it in the beginning and who is suffering "the child" they are too young to understand "why" why was it ok yesterday and now all off a sudden it is not.

My Mom had a saying "Little Children Little Problems-Big Children Big Problems"

Hi Margret-

I hope you didn`t break your arm patting yourself on the back! LOL!

That was one of my mother`s sayings.

May 25, 2008, 12:02 pm CDT

Brats my butt

Sorry, but one good whoopin on the but the first time they acted up would have put an end to this along time ago. It is not the kids fault that they are brats but the parents full denial when the kids were young. Now the parents are paying the price and worse off so are the monsters---uh, rather kids that are going to have to be retrained in the proper manners. Good luck Dr. Phil, I hope you didn't bite off more than you can chew!

May 26, 2008, 7:09 am CDT

Re: Why Always Blame the Parents????

Quote From: hopesuez

Sorry, but one good whoopin on the but the first time they acted up would have put an end to this along time ago. It is not the kids fault that they are brats but the parents full denial when the kids were young. Now the parents are paying the price and worse off so are the monsters---uh, rather kids that are going to have to be retrained in the proper manners. Good luck Dr. Phil, I hope you didn't bite off more than you can chew!
 Dr. Phil talked to the parents after the puppet show and the drawing experiment (without touching).  The parents received a long entailed parenting tip.  However, why didn't Dr. Phil come down on those kids especial Noah and Ethan for the horrible behavior???  Noah and Ethan needs at least one spanking a day and something they really like taken away...  Dr. Phil should have gone in and rewarded the children who obeyed the rules with some of the items ont he table.  He should have also realize that Noah has a bad anger problem.  He not only goes after his Mom but other children as well as documented by his suspension from school.  Hey Dr. Phil, I agree the parents need work, but sometimes they need more than just a good talking.  Oh, but wait this Noah will call Child Services.....it's not always the children telling the truth but they are always believed.   Dr. Phil, next week, lets see you take some action with the children and reward the ones who did as they were told at the drawing session...  Give Noah and Ethan a fake lolly and put them in a corner.  BTW:  I was spanked, I spanked my kids and they have turned out great....  Great job, great family.......     I understand your conception, but talking doesn NOT always work with some children.... 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last