Message Boards

Topic : 05/26 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp, Part 2

Number of Replies: 145
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 23, 2008, 07:35:18 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues his work with four families who say their kids are out of control. They moved out of their madhouse and into The Dr. Phil House to learn how to end the chaos and constant battles, and create a peaceful, loving and happy home. The parents and kids role-play with puppets, but when two kids misbehave, will their exercise become an exercise in futility? After Noah and his mom have another fight, Dr. Phil sits down with them privately to broker peace. Will anger and resentment give way to compassion and forgiveness? Next, all the kids participate in an experiment called Temptation Table – a table is covered with candy, cookies, cell phones and toys. Can all the kids be trusted around Dr. Phil’s Temptation Table? You won’t believe what happens when their parents leave the room! Then, Dr. Phil shows the parents home camera footage of poor parenting situations in their home. Will the parents stop what they’re doing and become a calm, united front for their kids, providing consistent, predictable consequences to bad behavior? One mom’s question has Dr. Phil wondering if he’s wasting his time. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Discuss your views on discipline here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 26, 2008, 7:37 am CDT

Re: Why Always Blame the Parents????

I agree parents are in charge but when you have a couple of these children, I think a good spanking would do the trick or take some iitem they really cherish away from them...  Dr. Phil went to great lengths to tell the parents their faults.  I thought by the end of the showt he would reward the children that obeyed their parents during the drawing session...... But NO he just came down on the parent because they didn't say they would get a reward if they obeyed....  Give me a break.....do we have to reward evertime we ask a child to do something?????  He should have taken Noah and Ethan and given them a fake lolly and put them in all day timeout.  Noah is physically abusive to everyone and it's not just his Mother but he has been suspended from school.  The kid has an anger problem.  Ethan's mouth is enough to drive anyone crazy....he thinks he is so cute and funny, I would fix that funny....  OK Dr. Phil, you reprimanded the parents, now next week lets see you reward the children that obeyed the rules at the table with some of those cool items.  Let Noah and Ethan see that their mouthy abusive behavior will NOT be rewarded except with a long time out.  Noah tried to antagonize all the boys.  I agree the parents should be in control, but some of these kids I would like to keep for about one week.  My parents spanked me, and my kids were spanked, they have awesome professions and a great family.....  I just feel so sorry for Noah's Mother, she has not had time to grieve the loss of her daughter........where is the Dad.......let him take Noah for a few weeks til Mom gets help with her grief.  Why doesn't Dr. Phil check to see if Noah's problems were before the daughter died....maybe this kid just has major anger and domination issues...  Ethan just needs tape on his mouth. Sorry Dr. Phil, I agree with what you said to the parents, but NOT enough punishment for some of those children......  it's so obivious that these two boys are masters at lying and what fake tears..  Think a little out of your box and help the parent but punish the kids also........I hope to see you reward those good children on the next episode for obeying their parents..............

May 26, 2008, 8:58 am CDT

Examples wouldn't have hurt

Great show!  Dr. Phil, it was a little cold when you told the parents that you were waisting your time when discussing why their kids were exhibiting bad behavior.  As a viewer I got it immediately when you were going down the list as of why and providing winning parenting techniques.   But when emotions are high and you are actually on that chair looking into all those cameras...a few examples wouldn't have hurt.  You could say, "well Wendy, Noah does this because of that."  Of course, you may have counselors or staff already working one on one with the families off camera.  I know we don't see everything behind the scenes.

May 26, 2008, 9:03 am CDT

I was proud of Andrew

I was proud of Andrew (age 12).  He exhibited some good behavior during the draw a family picture exercise.  There was a point when Noah and Ethan were hitting and making fun of Andrew.  Obviously, Andrew is a larger child and in better shape than the other two boys.  He could have risen to the comments and hits, but he sat back and kept his cool.  I was proud of him. 

May 26, 2008, 9:23 am CDT

Wendy, I would have wen't insane by now.

Like I said before, I've never  seen true unconditional love until Wendy and Noah came on this show.  I would have gone insane long before now.  Just that high pitched (nails on chalkboard) voice, and the endless excuses for bad behavior.  I wanted to reach into that t.v. and shake Noah after Dr. Phil had "the talk."  What did Wendy do...BREATH?  And Noah found an excuse to whine, yell and say hateful things.  I really think Noah is menatally, verbally and can be physcially abusive.  I DON'T CARE how he learned it.  It needs to stop!  These kids have no life skills for the real world; especially, Noah and Ethan. 

I understand that Wendy made her bed (as it comes to Noah's behavior), and that she has to sleep in that bed now. But, I still feel so sorry for her.  In my mind Noah is a young man.  As one viewer wrote, "10 is closer to 18 than to age 1."  I feel at this point he should have some maturity to take responsiblity for some of his own actions.  It amazes me that Noah is asking to live with strangers.  Does he actually think that a stranger is going to take all that crap like his mother does.  The life situation is never going to change.  He will always find an excuse to get back into that bad behavior.  That's how Noah copes and socializes with everyone, not just Wendy.   Living somewhere else isn't going to change his core being. 

May 26, 2008, 9:51 am CDT

I am shocked

I watched the show last week about the brat camp and must say that i was very shocked.  The show would have been shut down if my child would have slapped my in the face.  That called for a swat on his butt.  The respect is gone.  To each is own about spanking, but as for me and my house he would have had a very soft bottom!!!!

May 26, 2008, 10:59 am CDT

The word is BREATHE

Quote From: roaringredhead

Like I said before, I've never  seen true unconditional love until Wendy and Noah came on this show.  I would have gone insane long before now.  Just that high pitched (nails on chalkboard) voice, and the endless excuses for bad behavior.  I wanted to reach into that t.v. and shake Noah after Dr. Phil had "the talk."  What did Wendy do...BREATH?  And Noah found an excuse to whine, yell and say hateful things.  I really think Noah is menatally, verbally and can be physcially abusive.  I DON'T CARE how he learned it.  It needs to stop!  These kids have no life skills for the real world; especially, Noah and Ethan. 

I understand that Wendy made her bed (as it comes to Noah's behavior), and that she has to sleep in that bed now. But, I still feel so sorry for her.  In my mind Noah is a young man.  As one viewer wrote, "10 is closer to 18 than to age 1."  I feel at this point he should have some maturity to take responsiblity for some of his own actions.  It amazes me that Noah is asking to live with strangers.  Does he actually think that a stranger is going to take all that crap like his mother does.  The life situation is never going to change.  He will always find an excuse to get back into that bad behavior.  That's how Noah copes and socializes with everyone, not just Wendy.   Living somewhere else isn't going to change his core being. 

The word is BREATHE.  I should check spelling and punctuation prior to posting, but if I'm not writing at 1:00 AM, I'm most probably multi-tasking.   

May 26, 2008, 12:14 pm CDT

Brats

Has anyone noticed that most of these kids come from broken homes?

Maybe parents should spend more time working at keeping their marriages together.

May 26, 2008, 1:17 pm CDT

05/26 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp, Part 2

We never experienced this with our kids. Long before they were as old as these kids on the show, it had been established that we were in charge. We did stand together on everything. There was never a time that one of us said something and the other went against it. Don't get me wrong, we are not perfect and our kids are not perfect. And it's a very hard job to be a parent. When our kids were the age of these kids thier behavior was different than what was seen on the show today. I wish all of the parents on the show today the best . Hang in there and try what DrP suggested. Don't give up on yourselves or your kids.

May 26, 2008, 1:24 pm CDT

Respectful Discipline

All children need discipline involving teaching them about health, safety, and the rights of others.  No parent should be abused or treated abusively.  Parents should be respected.

However, parents get what they give.  If they disrespect their children, then that's what they will get-disrespect.

Unfortunately, Childism (Psychiatric Annals, 5;7, July 1975), disrespect of children, is pervasive, if not ubiquitous, in our (and other) societies.  Children are seen as inferior beings instead of being immature, needing guidance while maturing.  That is why it feels like a new concept-treating a child with dignity and respect-as well as the parents being treated that way.

Parents feel that a main goal of parenting is to control a child (as if the child is one's private property), instead of teaching self-control.

An obvious example of childism is corporal punishment of children.  Children are slapped, smacked, and spanked in the name of controlling behavior and "love."  Hurting the body of another adult is called "assault."  Isn't the difference between the way a child is treated compared to an adult striking?

Child abuse is a legal term; abusive behavior of children is common because child rearing is "fraught with ignorance, impatience, and hostility" (Dr. Leon Saul, Psychiatric Annals, Issue on Separation, 1975).

These problems can be changed with parenting education programs before parenthood, as in high school.  This involves teaching child development and healthy child rearing skills.  This was done in over 33 high schools in New York City with much student enthusiasm. 

I am a psychiatrist interested in preventive psychiatry.  Child Development, Parenting, and Parent Development was published by the New York City Department of Education.  I presented a paper about this at an American Psychiatric Association convention.

May 26, 2008, 1:57 pm CDT

Broken Homes

I raised a very level headed wonderful son.  His father and I divorced when he was 6.  We(his father and I) never said a bad word about eachother around him.  Still don't.  He's know 25.   We rarely had to raise our voices to him.  We would sit down and talk face to face, explaining that what he did or said was wrong.  It was his action, not him.  If he touched something he was told not to touch, his hand(s) were slapped.  If he said something he knew he shouldn't, his mouth was 'popped'.  Never slapped. 

Back to the show.  The cussing!  I cannot believe parents say those things!  The kids are going to hear it everywhere else, why do they have to hear it at home?  Who cares if a bedroom is clean.  Close the door.  We never cared about his bedroom being clean.  What a waste of energy(mine).  My son knew when the laundry was going to be done.  Bring the laundry out, or, wear dirty clothes, or, learn to do laundry.  His stufff was always there.  He liked having it done for him.  Getting him to do chores.  Yes there was some comprimise.  One example:  if he was watching a favorite show I would tell him to take care of 'whatever' when the commercial came on.  The chore got done.  Please don't blame single parents. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last