Message Boards

Topic : 05/27 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp, Part 3

Number of Replies: 273
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 23, 2008, 07:38:19 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s the last day in The Dr. Phil House for four families struggling to tone down the chaos, fighting and unhappiness. Have you ever wanted to be a fly on the wall and listen to what your kids say about you? Well, the moms get that chance. They watch and listen behind a two-way mirror as their kids have a conversation with one of their peers. Don’t miss Wendy’s reaction when her son, Noah, opens up about his sister’s death. When Dr. Phil puts the kids to the task of cleaning up a filthy room, will the challenge be too much for them … or their parents? Next, Dr. Phil sits down with the mothers and the fathers separately for some no-nonsense parenting advice. If you’re a parent, you won’t want to miss this valuable lesson in parenting! Then, Dr. Phil helps the parents make the first step in creating a phenomenal family. Plus, how are these families doing now? Don’t miss the surprising update! And, are you looking for something fun for your kids this summer? Deborah Gibson has gone from teen pop sensation to an inspiring musical mentor. See how she makes deserving children’s dreams come true at her Camp Electric Youth! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Discuss your views on discipline here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 30, 2008, 9:26 pm CDT

05/27 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp, Part 3

Quote From: hypponas

I CAME FROM A FAMILY THAT MY MOM AN SPANKED ON OUR REAR ENDS SOMETIMES >>>>  THEY WERE THREE OF US AND NOW WE  SIXTY ONE AN  SIXTY  AN FIFTY SEVEN YRS OLD >> ALL ARE STILL MARRIED TO THE ONE TIME  SPOUSES >>> WITH GROWN MARRIED CHILDREN >> YES I SPANKED MY CHILDREN  TO < BEAT THEM NO I DID NOT  NOR WAS I BEAT BUT A GOO LICK ON OUR BACKSIDE MADE US KNOW THT OUR PARENTS CARED AN LOVED US >>> WE EVEN HAD SOME KIDS TO TELL US THEY WISHED THEIR PARENTS CARED ENOUGH ABOUT THEM TO MAKE THEM FACE RESPONSIBILITIES >>>WHEN MY PARENTS SPANKED ME I KNEW I HAD BEEN SPANKED BUT THEY NEVER BEAT ME >>> I THANKED GOD FOR THE AGE I WAS BORNED IN AND MY KIDS >>> I HAD NEVER SEEN A KID ACT LIKE THOSE KIDS DID NEVER TO THEIR PARENTS >>> I THINK I"VE LIVED TO LONG >>>>
Well, I am happy that you,your siblings and your kids turned out fine. Many parents have and are accomplishing the same thing without physical punishment. Children do not HAVE to be spanked to know that their parent(s) care and love them... give me a break!

May 31, 2008, 11:04 am CDT

CPS Workers

Quote From: hexum7

did you not pay attention to this show??? One of the incidents That Noah reported was abuse was a hard elbow nudge- which came after he had nudged her mother several times. even if the nudge was severe enough to "really hurt" as he said, that hardly consitutes seirous physical abuse

Noah has no concept- or just doesn't care- of what children who are serially abused have to endure. i can assure you that it is a whole lot more voilent and hurtful than a hard shove in the side. A parent who is an abuseer wh ould not have stopped with the nudge. Nor would an abusive parent have passively accepted a slap form their kid.

AsNoah e was out of touch with reality in those cases , what makes you think that he is telling the truth about the other instances?
   You  R soooo right C P S workers are not always  right !!!!!!     I have an X daughter in law that left her kids all the time to  go out  on  her job with her cps friends !!!! ( what she said anyway ) friends  ( which we found out later that it was her boy friend   )  ... She has her MASTERS Degree in CPS .. All of us laugh because she was caugh locked in hers an our son bedroom at 2 in the morning with a Policeman a chair shoved up under the door .. our oldest grandson kicked the door in and the policeman ran in the bathroom an locked hisself in because our grandson told him he would kill him . He was 16 at the time an he an our 14 yr old grndson both brothers  they were tore up an had never known their mother to do such a thing oh no !!! she was a masters degree CPS worker...  She said later that All the Cps workers have or has  run around on their husbands ...  ... Yes they are a joke to kids ... We called the cps main place an you would not belive what they told us  ( these boys are to old to be called child abuse )    I told them that the boys are sooo tore up that both say they want to kill theirselves   she left her family and went with her boy friend and the boys stayed with their dad  that was two yrs ago ... The boys have gone through sooo much hurt with their mother ... OH  cps called her in an talked to her but not the boys they let it go ... I told them ( CPS ) if either one of the boys killed themselves I would SUE them because they knew an  handled it soooo lightly..... Sooo U R sooo Right CPS stinks

May 31, 2008, 11:19 am CDT

Give us all a break !!!!!

Quote From: feistyd

Well, I am happy that you,your siblings and your kids turned out fine. Many parents have and are accomplishing the same thing without physical punishment. Children do not HAVE to be spanked to know that their parent(s) care and love them... give me a break!
 Please give all the kids a break an ... Physical punishment give me a BREAK NOW... We were not brused are bleeding any where ...  Their was nothing PHYSICAL about this ... My parents didn't sat me down an say sweety that not nice to slap your friends in the face .. are your mother ..by the way .... OR you need your VCR taken  away Their was no such thing as a play station  ... we were all just lucky to have a bed an chest in our rooms ...Give me a break please  ( NOW SON I'M GOING TO TAKE YOUR XBOX 360 AWAY FROM YOU FOR SLAPPING YOPUR MOTHER IN THE FACE AN ALSO   FOR YELLING AT HER AN OH YES  TaKE 5 MINUTES OUT IN A CHAIR FOR USING FOUL  BAD WORDS   AT  YOUR MOTHER .. PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK !!!!!!

May 31, 2008, 2:12 pm CDT

Quote From: yoshiyoshi

You said in your previous statement, "If I could've jumped into the TV, I would've physically hurt him."  Those were your words. You said that you would've physically assaulted a child.
Obviously you don't see a difference between discipline and physically assulting somebody.  Have you never spanked your child?  I don't consider that a physical assult but it does hurt them.

May 31, 2008, 2:49 pm CDT

Please give all the kids a break an ... Physical punishment give me a BREAK NOW... We were not brused are bleeding any where ...  Their was nothing PHYSICAL about this ... My parents didn't sat me down an say sweety that not nice to slap your friends in the face .. are your mother ..by the way .... OR you need your VCR taken  away Their was no such thing as a play station  ... we were all just lucky to have a bed an chest in our rooms ...Give me a break please  ( NOW SON I'M GOING TO TAKE YOUR XBOX 360 AWAY FROM YOU FOR SLAPPING YOPUR MOTHER IN THE FACE AN ALSO   FOR YELLING AT HER AN OH YES  TaKE 5 MINUTES OUT IN A CHAIR FOR USING FOUL  BAD WORDS   AT  YOUR MOTHER .. PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK !!!!!!

Way to go the extreme!! Maybe that is the only way you can make a point.....

If spanking is not physical...what is it- Emotional? Mental? Spiritual? It is a physical punishment (and then some)! And where in my post did I say anything about bleeding & bruised!!?? That is in your head, not my words.

Additionally, I have never said children shouldn't be responsible for their actions nor did I say it was okay for a child to slap his/her mother (that is some logic- spank my child because he slapped me).

Many parents manage to raise children who are moral,responsible,independent,well-behaved,ethical and respectful without spanking. Just because your parents, you and your husband and probably your children didn't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

May 31, 2008, 4:57 pm CDT

Quote From: jodieskinner

Obviously you don't see a difference between discipline and physically assulting somebody.  Have you never spanked your child?  I don't consider that a physical assult but it does hurt them.

That's right, I don't see a difference between spanking a child in the name of discipline, and physicall assault.

There is no difference.

May 31, 2008, 5:16 pm CDT

Noah is unbelievable--and tends to embellish

If spanking is not physical...what is it- Emotional? Mental? Spiritual? It is a physical punishment (and then some)! And where in my post did I say anything about bleeding & bruised!!?? That is in your head, not my words.

Additionally, I have never said children shouldn't be responsible for their actions nor did I say it was okay for a child to slap his/her mother (that is some logic- spank my child because he slapped me).

Many parents manage to raise children who are moral,responsible,independent,well-behaved,ethical and respectful without spanking. Just because your parents, you and your husband and probably your children didn't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

I hope  that the little actor Noah watches this show many times--sees all the little things that tells us he is spinning a tale and trying to throw his Mom under the bus.  Does any other kid spend so much time looking at the camera?  talking about Mom and how awful she is--but cannot relate about anything he likes to do, things that he does well, hobbies or interests, subjects he likes to do at school, friends?  Nope--he can only relate to another person if he is tattling on his Mom; telling everyone how mean he is being treated, etc.  Did we see any other child show so little respect for all adults in his life--whether he was talking about CPS, teachers or principal, his Mother and even Doctor Phil--yep, none of them are as smart as that Noah!  Did any of the other kids actually squeeze their eyes, trying to get tears to win more sympathy?  Did any other kid come across as more demanding or controlling then Noah? He was so busy judging--interrupting and spouting off his opinions and how what he thought was more important than what anyone else said; Anyone   more negative toward his family?  Less interested in the other kids present?  unable to even play or relate to the other children unless he acted as a Bully?  more socially immature?  This kid needs a psychological evaluation/thorough workup by someone like Dr. Lawless because there is no way that he can fit into a normal class room situation!  He has no self-control and an inflated idea of his self-worth.  Unless he changes, he will be trying to convince all the other inmates about how important he is!

May 31, 2008, 7:02 pm CDT

Extreme!!!!

You talk like physical is really tearing up something ..... Lady get real ....   You are not al;ways right either.   ... yes  spanking does not hurt anybody if its done right ... I could of seem my parents  if I had of slapped my mom OH BOY ... !!!!!    But the way you act physical is really beating the soup out of someone .... Hopr your kid never SLAPs you in your face ////////     you may get physical before you realiaze what you have done REALLY PHYSICAL LIKE WHAT YOU ARE DECRIBING HERE...OR THINK  I"M DECRIBING .(..A hug is physical )  ..  I never said you said anything by the way ...... BUT MANY PARENTS HAVE RAISED KIDS THAT SPANKED THEIR BUTS AND THEY ALSO TURNED OUT TO BE MORAL < RESPONSIBLE < INDEPNDENT < WELL- BEHAVED ETHICAL AN RESPECTFUL WITH SPANKINGS >>>>>IT CAN BE DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

June 1, 2008, 3:22 pm CDT

Again

You talk like physical is really tearing up something ..... Lady get real ....   You are not al;ways right either.   ... yes  spanking does not hurt anybody if its done right ... I could of seem my parents  if I had of slapped my mom OH BOY ... !!!!!    But the way you act physical is really beating the soup out of someone .... Hopr your kid never SLAPs you in your face ////////     you may get physical before you realiaze what you have done REALLY PHYSICAL LIKE WHAT YOU ARE DECRIBING HERE...OR THINK  I"M DECRIBING .(..A hug is physical )  ..  I never said you said anything by the way ...... BUT MANY PARENTS HAVE RAISED KIDS THAT SPANKED THEIR BUTS AND THEY ALSO TURNED OUT TO BE MORAL < RESPONSIBLE < INDEPNDENT < WELL- BEHAVED ETHICAL AN RESPECTFUL WITH SPANKINGS >>>>>IT CAN BE DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Okay, let me try AGAIN.

BUT MANY PARENTS HAVE RAISED KIDS THAT SPANKED THEIR BUTS AND THEY ALSO TURNED OUT TO BE MORAL < RESPONSIBLE < INDEPNDENT < WELL- BEHAVED ETHICAL AN RESPECTFUL WITH SPANKINGS >>>>>IT CAN BE DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Never said parents who spank do not have good children, I said parents have also been successful without spanking... is that so difficult for you to accept/understand?

You talk like physical is really tearing up something ..... Lady get real .... But the way you act physical is really beating the soup out of someone ....

Nope, wrong- just saying it's not necessary.

yes  spanking does not hurt anybody if its done right

IF that was true why do parents do it?

.(..A hug is physical ) 

Really??!! I said physical punishment therefore a hug does not qualify.

You are not al;ways right either.

Really??? Cuz I thought I was.... relax-just joking. Actually I learn quite a lot from other people and past experiences. I am open-minded but there are some things that I just don't agree with ( and one of them is that spanking is necessary)

Hopr your kid never SLAPs you in your face ////////    

He has never raised a hand to me.

June 1, 2008, 4:54 pm CDT

Okay, let me try AGAIN.

BUT MANY PARENTS HAVE RAISED KIDS THAT SPANKED THEIR BUTS AND THEY ALSO TURNED OUT TO BE MORAL < RESPONSIBLE < INDEPNDENT < WELL- BEHAVED ETHICAL AN RESPECTFUL WITH SPANKINGS >>>>>IT CAN BE DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Never said parents who spank do not have good children, I said parents have also been successful without spanking... is that so difficult for you to accept/understand?

You talk like physical is really tearing up something ..... Lady get real .... But the way you act physical is really beating the soup out of someone ....

Nope, wrong- just saying it's not necessary.

yes  spanking does not hurt anybody if its done right

IF that was true why do parents do it?

.(..A hug is physical ) 

Really??!! I said physical punishment therefore a hug does not qualify.

You are not al;ways right either.

Really??? Cuz I thought I was.... relax-just joking. Actually I learn quite a lot from other people and past experiences. I am open-minded but there are some things that I just don't agree with ( and one of them is that spanking is necessary)

Hopr your kid never SLAPs you in your face ////////    

He has never raised a hand to me.

You know, I was looking up information to see which states still allow corporal punishment, and corporal punishment is defined as " a deliberate infliction of pain and suffering intended to punish a person or change his/her behavior". (re: "yes spanking does not hurt anybody if its done right") Interesting, huh?

I have said before that I started out spanking, felt uncomfortable with it, stopped it and figured out other ways to handle decipline. And let me state for the record, when I DID spank, it stung my hand. And I didn't feel right doing that. In my experience,  my kids were well behaved without spanking. I just didn't feel right hitting my daughter .I think parents who spank would be pleasantly surprised to find that they would get the same results if they tried not spanking.I wish I had never started out thinking spanking was the way to go.

First | Prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | Next | Last