Message Boards

Topic : 05/27 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp, Part 3

Number of Replies: 273
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 23, 2008, 07:38:19 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s the last day in The Dr. Phil House for four families struggling to tone down the chaos, fighting and unhappiness. Have you ever wanted to be a fly on the wall and listen to what your kids say about you? Well, the moms get that chance. They watch and listen behind a two-way mirror as their kids have a conversation with one of their peers. Don’t miss Wendy’s reaction when her son, Noah, opens up about his sister’s death. When Dr. Phil puts the kids to the task of cleaning up a filthy room, will the challenge be too much for them … or their parents? Next, Dr. Phil sits down with the mothers and the fathers separately for some no-nonsense parenting advice. If you’re a parent, you won’t want to miss this valuable lesson in parenting! Then, Dr. Phil helps the parents make the first step in creating a phenomenal family. Plus, how are these families doing now? Don’t miss the surprising update! And, are you looking for something fun for your kids this summer? Deborah Gibson has gone from teen pop sensation to an inspiring musical mentor. See how she makes deserving children’s dreams come true at her Camp Electric Youth! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Discuss your views on discipline here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 27, 2008, 6:30 pm CDT

Curious

Quote From: yoshiyoshi

It's simple, children have rights now. Parents can't beat them and leave them in the corner and interact with them, only when it suits them like back in the day. These parents don't understand that children are people, not things. They have emotions and personalities, raising a child is not the same as raising a pet.

I agree with you, it was the best thing you didn't have children. I can only imagine how you would subliminate any sense of individuality they had, so they would learn to obey you.

I was just wondering... how old are you, are you male or female and do you have children?

From some of your posts, I do know that you have Aspergers and have felt that you never received the support that you needed/deserved and that you are a huge advocate for children. I can appreciate both of those things... honest.

As for my questions, obviously you don't have to answer them, but I am just trying to understand you and your opinions even more.

Whatever you want to share would be much appreciated. Thanks.

May 27, 2008, 6:38 pm CDT

05/27 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp, Part 3

Quote From: phillybelle

The other day I posted my very first (ever) message, and this will be my last.  It's too frustrating to read all these posts from people who want to slap, and hit, and spank kids who have already been damaged enough. 

The final chapter of 'Brat Camp' was a huge disappointment.  I feel like Dr. Phil blew it.  He always says, 'You can't change what you don't acknowledge,' and Wendy never did acknowledge slapping Noah, or any of her other childish, bullying behavior.  Forget the stuff that can't be proven!  What about the nasty stuff we saw on camera?  The woman treated that child horribly, and you can post all kinds of protests about him...yeah, yeah, he's a pain in the rear, but she created the monster behavior, and never admitted it.

Want to know what I would have done if I'd been the mother he slapped?  For me, it would have been a real wake up call, hearing him saying over and over....How does it feel?  How does it feel?

I would have grabbed him, pulled him into my arms, and sobbed and cried, and begged him right then and there to forgive me for ever slapping him.  I would have said......"It felt awful...and it hurt, and now I realize that it hurt you when I did that to you, and I'm so, so sorry, and I promise I will never, ever slap you again.  I love you." 

Maybe THAT would have been the moment that Noah and I would have found each other again.  Maybe the healing would have begun.  Maybe together we could have cried about ALL the years we had lost to pain, both physical and emotional.  Maybe he would have opened up to me, if I had opened up to him...if only I had ADMITTED that I had been abusive...that I had been hurting him, too. 

Maybe it would have been the first tiny little step.  At least I would have tried. 

I saw real changes in all the other parents, but nothing from Wendy...only more "me, me, me.'" She's still so deep in her own grief, there's no place in her heart for that little boy (as unpleasant as he may be,) and that is the tragedy.  I feel as though Brat Camp was a failure for Noah.  Dr. Phil threw him under the bus with Wendy still at the wheel, and he's been run over so many times already.

Dr. Phil's last words about each child were quotes from their parents.  When he said, 'Wendy says "yada yada yada," I said to myself, but what did Noah say?  Guess we'll never know.

Did Wendy get grief counseling?  Did someone take Noah out of her house until she got herself into a happy, healthier place?  Did anyone EVER hear that child begging for some relief from her passive aggressive behavior?  And where in the world was his father?  Didn't he care enough to be there? 

I wish Dr. Phil had REAL hidden cameras in their house so that Noah would have documentation for what really happens to him.

I hope we never hear their names reported in some tragedy on CNN.

I'll be praying for Wendy.......but even harder for Noah.

Yeah, drag him into her arms and sob. And he would gleefully say to himself....Gottcha mom. Yep, I am in control. Wendy did say that she had hit Noah a couple of times like most any other parent might have. You must have missed that. The point is that there is NO PROOF and she WAS CLEARED by CPS of anything like pushing him to the groung and hitting him as he claimed she did. The child is a LIAR.

May 27, 2008, 6:41 pm CDT

Noah really abused?!

Am I the only one who thinks that Noah might really be being abused? 

His mom's responses made me think she was guilty.  She said stuff like, "I don't recall doing that."  "CPS said I didn't abuse you." NOT  "I've never hit you in anger."  

May 27, 2008, 6:49 pm CDT

We were "taught"

Quote From: photoflirt

I don't have a clue what is the matter with children these days, I can't ever remember children being so disrespectful, nor even raising their voices.

These children and their parents need real parenting.  The thought that that little boy Noah could get away with slapping his mother is just downright not to be believed.

Either there is something in the milk as of late, or life isn't what it used to be.

We were taught respect, manners, and how to handle our emotions, guess this generation has failed miserably,  or perhaps they weren't parented properly.

Either way, my decision not to have children probably was the best thing I could have ever done!

Breathing a huge sigh of relief in Toronto........................

When I was a child, & you too, yes we were taught respect, manners, how to handle emotions, & how to behave around adults.  Our parents taught us when we were toddlers & never gave up on us.  We didn't have a choice in our behavior....we behaved or else, and we respected all adults, not just our parents.  It was called "parenting" and most all kids in the 40's/50's/60's got it.  But most of us had two parents then, so it was easier I'm sure.  I only had one child, & I knew when I was about three months pregnant that would be all for me.  I love my son dearly, but I'm still grateful I never had more children.  I've never been  overly fond of children anyway, and the kids on this Dr.Phil show reinforced that, even though I know it's their parents who've allowed them to become what they are.....brats.   The one child that stands out in that group, of course, is Noah....he's in for a very tumultuous life I'm afraid.   His Mother will need a lot of strength & patience dealing with him, & I'm not convinced she's up to it.

May 27, 2008, 6:51 pm CDT

Quote From: bookgal

Do I see a pattern here with these moms? They are all very obese women.  I hope they address this problem, because (speaking from vast experience!) when one is morbidly obese, one tends to let nearly everyone walk all over them, kids included.
You have got to be kidding! Being overweight doesn't equal to being a doormat. What a gross generalization. None of those moms were morbidly obese either. Hmmmmmm...you one of those that anyone over a size 4 is fat???? Just wondering.

May 27, 2008, 7:31 pm CDT

Quote From: ladiehawke

Noah cried wolf to CPS already that Wendy supposedly hit him. They did a complete investigation and found his allegations to be unfounded. Wendy has papers from CPS that shows she has been cleared of the acusations. If you know anything about CPS, you would know that they will take a child from a parent at the least little sign or indication of abuse. The boy is a liar. There is no need for Dr. Phil to report her.

Don't you think Wendy would have a little song and dance set for the CPS? Did it ever occur to you that parents like her will manipulate those who try to help their victim?

May 27, 2008, 7:31 pm CDT

Quote From: amachina

Am I the only one who thinks that Noah might really be being abused? 

His mom's responses made me think she was guilty.  She said stuff like, "I don't recall doing that."  "CPS said I didn't abuse you." NOT  "I've never hit you in anger."  

No, I think he's being abused too.

May 27, 2008, 7:34 pm CDT

Quote From: feistyd

I was just wondering... how old are you, are you male or female and do you have children?

From some of your posts, I do know that you have Aspergers and have felt that you never received the support that you needed/deserved and that you are a huge advocate for children. I can appreciate both of those things... honest.

As for my questions, obviously you don't have to answer them, but I am just trying to understand you and your opinions even more.

Whatever you want to share would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I was wondering when someone would ask, "Do you have children?" Also known as, well if you don't have children, who are YOU to talk about how parents take care of their children. A common strawman argument.

I'm not answering you, because if I were to, the minute I might say I didn't have kids all the parents here would go "AHA!" and then lash out at me. It's happened before. Most of the parents here are too immature to handle that criticism can come from outside the mommy/daddy circle.

May 27, 2008, 7:35 pm CDT

Yoshi, from the tones of your posts, it sounds as if you are the angry one. You can't say that Noah learned to lie from his mother. Children often learn to lie all by their little lonesome. It is part of growing up. They also learn it from other children. And I don't know what show you were watching, but the other children did not instigate Noah to behave badly. He and Ethan saw themselves as birds of a feather and banded together. They created the cgaos and the other cgildren then joined in.

I don't know you personally, and I say this out of kindness....I hope you are in therapy for the abuse you have suffered.
I am angry, why aren't you? Maybe you should ask yourself, why doesn't seeing a child in emotional pain reach me.

May 27, 2008, 7:41 pm CDT

You have got to be kidding! Being overweight doesn't equal to being a doormat. What a gross generalization. None of those moms were morbidly obese either. Hmmmmmm...you one of those that anyone over a size 4 is fat???? Just wondering.
It seems to be another case of the prevailing size bias that is so accepted in our society today. I think obese people are much more capable of standing up for themselves, than most people. They have to be.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last