Message Boards

Topic : 05/27 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp, Part 3

Number of Replies: 273
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 23, 2008, 07:38:19 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s the last day in The Dr. Phil House for four families struggling to tone down the chaos, fighting and unhappiness. Have you ever wanted to be a fly on the wall and listen to what your kids say about you? Well, the moms get that chance. They watch and listen behind a two-way mirror as their kids have a conversation with one of their peers. Don’t miss Wendy’s reaction when her son, Noah, opens up about his sister’s death. When Dr. Phil puts the kids to the task of cleaning up a filthy room, will the challenge be too much for them … or their parents? Next, Dr. Phil sits down with the mothers and the fathers separately for some no-nonsense parenting advice. If you’re a parent, you won’t want to miss this valuable lesson in parenting! Then, Dr. Phil helps the parents make the first step in creating a phenomenal family. Plus, how are these families doing now? Don’t miss the surprising update! And, are you looking for something fun for your kids this summer? Deborah Gibson has gone from teen pop sensation to an inspiring musical mentor. See how she makes deserving children’s dreams come true at her Camp Electric Youth! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Discuss your views on discipline here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 27, 2008, 12:44 pm CDT

Yep.

Quote From: littlenicky

Ethan and Noah sure got over on Dr. Phil. Did Ethan say more than 10 words on the show? And Noah is a little drama queen who needs a serious beat down before he gets too big.

The first few minutes that I saw this story, I felt sorry for Noah's mother.  I understand that they both have to be going through tremendous emotional pain.  But she's just a mother who's trying to deal with it, and he's not making it all that easy.  How do you expect her to deal with this if she has a drama queen of a son to deal with as well?  Maybe...just maybe...if he'd drop the attitude and admit for a nanosecond that he DOESN'T know everything, they could work through what they're going through.  Together. 

The mom's not completely free from fault, either.  Out of all the kids on this show, Noah is the one that irritates me the most.  He doesn't see what a great mother he has, and I don't think he sees the potential he has to be a great young man.  Which, once again, could be the mother's fault.  But he is a smart little guy. You can tell that by how he handles situations.  He just doesn't have the manners to handle them with both intelligence and kindness. My advice: get it out of your system now, kid.  Because when you grow up and get in the real world, there aren't going to be that many people who are willing to put up with your crap.  Not like your momma does.

May 27, 2008, 12:48 pm CDT

You have got to be kidding me!

Get real!  These kids know exactly what they are doing.  As far as I can tell they are lying, manipulative brats!

God help them if I was one of their parents.  Then again, no kid of mine would dare act with such disrespect.  Don't even get me started on the one that slapped his mom.  If that was me, he would have woken up in the middle of next week!

Dr. Phil - get on the kids as much as you get on the parents!  This is real life!

May 27, 2008, 12:52 pm CDT

Grief

Quote From: derevna33

I do understand her pain. When I was first married, I promised to wait and begin our family whenwere in our early thirties. I was 23, and it meant waiting for seven years. My husband finished his education and had a better job at the newspaper. He started out as a photographer and sports writer, and he progressed to being managing editor.

One night, I woke up convinced I was finally in labor. Larry had taken the week offas a vacation from work so he could be there. It was a beautiful night, the first day of May. I was in a bit of pain. Inthe labor room, I was puzzled as to why the nurses were digging with stethoscopes into my side. And then, I knew. It was soawful, I promised I wouldn't get upset until my doctor got there. Larry was blissfully unaware--and only about half awake.

My doctor informed me that when 'You can find a heartbeat with three stethoscopesand the Doppler, it is becausethere isn't one.' There is no graceful way to tell a mother that she is in labor, but her child is dead. I had a full term stillbirth. The first thing I ever did as a parent was sign my child's death certificate. He was a handsome little 8 pound boy. I named himCharles Laurence, afterboth his grandfathers.

And, my heart broke.

I was deeply angry that God did not allow me to die, too. I knew that Charlie was in heaven, but I sure wasn't.Six weeks later, my pap smear results returned, 'suspicious, probably malignant.' While awaiting my second biopsy to see if I would be having a hysterectomy that summer, I triedkilling myself. True, I wasn't being rational. And, I didn't take nearly enoughpills.

Living afteryour heart has broken isn'tas simple as 'thinking positive thoughts.' I was in no mood to be cheered by my husband or my family or my friends. I had a major depressive illness, and it was gonna be a life sentence. True, the surgeryand medication helped slow my cervicalcancer.

The following summer, I became pregnant again.

I was worried sick. I felt as if the roof hadfallen in on me. And, I strongly suspected it would happen, again.I wasn't convinced that my second baby would live. Ifound the only defense to my predicament: I would not love my baby. If that's what it took to keep Jesus from taking my second baby to heaven with him, I wouldn't love my baby.

I had learned from watching Star Trek that people are not logical!!! No one is capable of feeling, logically. If you say how you feel about something, it is going to sound silly. I did not care that my best girlfriend stared at me in disbelief.My sister explained theChristian viewpoint, several times. I was in no mood for listening.

I was a Steel Magnolia, and I didn't know it.

I was reading through the message board and saw your post, and it made me want to tell my own story because it's weighing down on me and I feel like I'm drowning in how painful and unfair my own experience has been.

When I was 21 (i.e. 16 years  ago), I had to have radical surgery to remove one of my ovaries, part of another and parts of both my Fallopian tubes.  I was told then that my only chance of getting pregant was through in vitro fertilization (IVF).  That knowledge caused me a great deal of pain over the years, looking at my peers, who seemed so carefree with untroubled futures before them.

I finally married at 34 and began treatments.  I knew they would be hard, but I didn't think they would be as difficult as they are and I didn't expect them to last so long.  Over the period of a year and a half, I had two surgeries, over 3 hundred injections, four egg retrievals under anesthesia, and more medical and monitoring tests and procedures than I can even remember.  We had decided on the fourth cycle that we had essentially exhausted all our options and planned on building our family through adoption.  Then the miracle happened.  That fourth cycle was successful.   No one could believe it-- least of all our doctor. 

It was a miracle.  I never had any morning sickness, really no problems whatsoever.  The baby was completely healthy and in the exact statistical center for height and weight.  Then on Thanksgiving Day I had some pain in my back, and I went to the Dr. the next day because of some light spotting.  I was already 4 cm dilated.  I gave birth later that night in the hospital.  I was only at 22 weeks and no attempts were even made to revive my daughter because she was so extremely premature.  She died in my arms.

Her grave marker was placed last week and we completed another IVF cycle on Monday.  It was unsuccessful.  So what I would really like to do is just slam my head against the wall repeatedly and cry and cry--- why can't I catch a break?

May 27, 2008, 12:57 pm CDT

Enough is Enough

I really feel bad for the child who recently lost his sister.  For some reason, his name escapes me.  I think that the situation between he and his Mom is to explosive.  This child has so much rage and anger in him that I feel he may just explode one day and the consequence will not be good.  No matter, from what I am seeing, what his mother says or does he just does not care.  He tries to turn it all around and make people believe that his mom is violant towards him and can't even stand to be in the same room as him. It seems that the Mom definetly needs help also.  The lose of a child is unmeasureable!  But it has been over 3 years and Mom needs to remember all the happy times with her daughter.  All those tears will not help the situation at all.  It almost feels as if when she looks at her son she resents the fact that he is still here and her daughter is gone!  And I feel that the son senses this.  At first I thought he was just a brat who needed a good smack on the butt, and I don't really believe in hitting a child, but this little guy is out of control.  But all of sudden I feel sorry for him.  He keeps mentioning his Dad.  Where is he??  We really don't hear about him, but if he is decent man, maybe he should get involved and take his son for awhile and give both the mom and the child a break!  I don't know much, but I just feel Dr Phil, if you can help this child and give him a little extra attention, the situation may turn out ok for both Mother and son.  Yes. the mom needs some serious therapy also.   The rest of the children on the show I think will do OK with your help.  Just my opinion.  

May 27, 2008, 1:03 pm CDT

05/27 The Dr. Phil House: Brat Camp, Part 3

Sorry for Ethan, wonder why he seem so tuned out, the mother nags and tells him each step to take when he trying to do something!!!!! I would tune out to if I had to listen to her nag nag nag do it this way what are you doing, don't you want to do a good job, who could work or do anything with someone telling you how to take every step, or your taking the wrong step!!!!! SHUT-UP let him think!!!!

May 27, 2008, 1:16 pm CDT

Noah

I have never seen a child like Noah. The slapping, the shrill screeching, the flippant, sarcastic, hateful retorts to everything other people say!

His mother opens her heart to him and he calls her, evil, she apologizes for not being a perfect parent and he says, "I just hope you mean that!" Where did this kid get the idea that parents are supposed to respect and honor their children instead of the other way around?

Yes, Noah lost a sibling. Until about a century ago most people had lost a sibling and I'm sure their mothers were depressed and grieving for a long period of time. Did those children use that as an excuse to slap their mothers and hit authority figures? They would have been knocked into next week if they did.

Noah seems to be using one of the soap opera vixens as a role model.(Alexis?) I don't know where his father is but Noah desperately needs a male role model. My hat is off to Wendy for giving him chance after chance, because this is truly a child that only a mother could love.

Noah, if you're reading this, and I'm sure you are because you were probably told not to-- shape up buddy. You're obviously very inteligent but your obnoxious behavior will ruin your life if you don't change. You'll end up being the smartest guy in prison. My father would have told you to study hard, go out for a sport, and treat other people with respect . If you do those things you won't have time to make up snotty remarks to use against your mother and you will learn to like yourself so much better.

May 27, 2008, 1:43 pm CDT

I see self esteem issues here

Do I see a pattern here with these moms? They are all very obese women.  I hope they address this problem, because (speaking from vast experience!) when one is morbidly obese, one tends to let nearly everyone walk all over them, kids included.

May 27, 2008, 1:47 pm CDT

Quote From: fluffyfat

I have never seen a child like Noah. The slapping, the shrill screeching, the flippant, sarcastic, hateful retorts to everything other people say!

His mother opens her heart to him and he calls her, evil, she apologizes for not being a perfect parent and he says, "I just hope you mean that!" Where did this kid get the idea that parents are supposed to respect and honor their children instead of the other way around?

Yes, Noah lost a sibling. Until about a century ago most people had lost a sibling and I'm sure their mothers were depressed and grieving for a long period of time. Did those children use that as an excuse to slap their mothers and hit authority figures? They would have been knocked into next week if they did.

Noah seems to be using one of the soap opera vixens as a role model.(Alexis?) I don't know where his father is but Noah desperately needs a male role model. My hat is off to Wendy for giving him chance after chance, because this is truly a child that only a mother could love.

Noah, if you're reading this, and I'm sure you are because you were probably told not to-- shape up buddy. You're obviously very inteligent but your obnoxious behavior will ruin your life if you don't change. You'll end up being the smartest guy in prison. My father would have told you to study hard, go out for a sport, and treat other people with respect . If you do those things you won't have time to make up snotty remarks to use against your mother and you will learn to like yourself so much better.
Everyone is deserving of respect, even children. If Noah's mother wants respect, she should give it. That means not yelling "SHUT UP!". It means not looking at him like a monster when he speaks. That's what a bratty child does. Noah learned to be a brat from his bratty mother. If she doesn't have to be accountable for her behaviour, why should he?

May 27, 2008, 1:49 pm CDT

Quote From: mrssassy

Get real!  These kids know exactly what they are doing.  As far as I can tell they are lying, manipulative brats!

God help them if I was one of their parents.  Then again, no kid of mine would dare act with such disrespect.  Don't even get me started on the one that slapped his mom.  If that was me, he would have woken up in the middle of next week!

Dr. Phil - get on the kids as much as you get on the parents!  This is real life!

I'm sure you've done a fine job, of teaching your children how to fear you.

May 27, 2008, 1:49 pm CDT

Quote From: cuddles05

THE KID THAT HIT HIS MUM HE WOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE FLOOR I WOULD'NT HAVE PUT UP WITH THAT FOR ONE SECOND.AND THESE OTHER KIDS WHAT DRAMA QUEENS THEY ARE.AND THE PARENTS OF ALL THESE KIDS SHOULD OF NEVER HAD KIDS.GOD I HAD KIDS AND THERE NO KID THAT IS PERFECT BUT MY GOD THESE KIDS ARE OUT OF CONTROL BIG TIME BUT IT'S THE PARENTS FAULT.THEY SHOULD OF NEVER HAD KIDSA IF THEY DID'NT KNOW HOW TO RAISE THEM OR TREAT THEM.AND THIS MOTHER THAT THE SON HIT HER.SHE LOST A CHILD WELL SO DID I.YOU CAN'T USE THAT AS AN EXCUSE.AND LET HER SON PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT WAS'NT HIS FAULT.GROW UP PEOPLE AND GET A LIFE.
He would've been on the floor. You would've assaulted him, overpowered him, beat him until he learned? That's your idea of how to parent?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last