Message Boards

Topic : 08/07 Against All Odds

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 23, 2008, 07:44:26 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/28/08) Whether through music and dance, or sports and education, The Dr. Phil Foundation makes a difference in the lives of children -- especially those who strive to succeed against all odds. Catch up with some of the deserving donation recipients, and see how their lives have changed. From providing music lessons to help for abused foster children, your contributions have been making an amazing difference. Don’t miss these inspiring stories and more! Then, meet an inspiration to children everywhere. He longed to be a pianist, and after years of hard work and determination, he has toured the globe performing, worked with a multi-Grammy winner and is now a rising star in the music scene. Find out how he did it. Plus, Dr. Phil and Robin make a special announcement. Learn what they're doing and how you can make a positive difference in a child's life. And, don't miss Dr. Phil and Robin's surprises for these guests. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 28, 2008, 2:41 pm CDT

Thank you to Dr. Phil

i just wanted to thank Dr. Phil again for his support to the TYME Youth Center, www.itsmytyme.com,

our appearing on the show has done so much for letting people know we are here and we need financial

help to keep our programs going.... we help so many kids and of course kids don't know the cost of things...they just know that we are there for them...so when someone like Dr. phil tells our story...it lets others know what we need....and for that i am forever grateful....

May 28, 2008, 2:55 pm CDT

CASA Volunteers

I have been a CASA volunteer for a year and half now.  I know that there are some volunteers out there that take the meaning to return the kids to their parents no matter what.  However, in response to that I also have to say that I have had to fight tooth and nail to get a social worker who is snowed under by tons of files to see that a particular child needs certain services that are not being provided.  In my state it is mandated that reunification be worked at for at least fifteen months if not longer.  I currently work six cases that have a total of 16 children between all six cases.  I have worked with the social workers and we have been able to successfully close two other cases that I worked on as well.  The social workers and I don't always see eye to eye but it is very rewarding when you work very hard at getting the services in place for these families.  I have felt very rewarded with my work.  The CASA program has also touched my life in a different way.  Over a year ago my nephew and his wife abused thier (then) five month old baby boy.  (He had bruises and a broken rib)  With the help of his CASA volunteer my husband and I were able to step up to the plate and take full custody of the baby who is now a very active, healthy and happy 19 month old. 

Of course if you look hard enough you can find fault with every program.  But CASA is a way to make sure that there are checks and balances in the welfare system for these kids who don't always have a voice.

May 28, 2008, 2:59 pm CDT

Kids can help too

Quote From: troutl08

"Anyone who does anything to help a child in this life is a hero to me."

-Fred Rogers

Dr Phil and his foundation do remarkable work. It is wonderful to see the different ways that children are benefiting from his work.  

Thank you for all that you do to better the children, parents and their families. Each is an act that helps to give children a chance.

My little girl has given away her birthday presents since she was 4 years old. This year will be the third year in a row that she has asked for checks to be written to the DR. Phil Foundation instead of gifts for herself. She collects them at her party and sends them all in. She has even tried to get her friends to do it too, and I think they are. She collects coke can tops and helps me cook dinner for the Ronald McDonald house. She will be 8 years old this year and she is so excited to collect the checks again. I can't wait for her to see this show this weekend, so she can see what a difference she is making. You are never too young to feel the joy of giving.

May 28, 2008, 3:10 pm CDT

Katrina in Mississippi

I would just like to remind the Dr. Phil show ... and the rest of America ... that we have a bunch of kids (and adults) beating the odds right here in Mississippi, odds just as bad as New Orleans. I get so tired of everyone forgetting that we suffered, too, and we have mainly suffered in silence since it seems New Orleans is the only place in the entire United States that was hurt by Katrina. Thanks a lot, Dr. Phil and Robin, for once again forgetting about the great state of Mississippi that is still trying to recover, too.

May 28, 2008, 3:22 pm CDT

William Joseph

This young mans music is absolutely earth shaking.  I just purchased his CD through Napster and I have got to tell you... he is the next Yanni.  His music brings forth such raw emotions.  It is joyous but at the same time, you can feel an undercurrent of hurt and pain.  It is obvious that he is expressing through his art, the path he has journeyed so far in his short life.

5 stars!!! 

May 28, 2008, 3:29 pm CDT

05/28 Against All Odds

Quote From: corkie

My little girl has given away her birthday presents since she was 4 years old. This year will be the third year in a row that she has asked for checks to be written to the DR. Phil Foundation instead of gifts for herself. She collects them at her party and sends them all in. She has even tried to get her friends to do it too, and I think they are. She collects coke can tops and helps me cook dinner for the Ronald McDonald house. She will be 8 years old this year and she is so excited to collect the checks again. I can't wait for her to see this show this weekend, so she can see what a difference she is making. You are never too young to feel the joy of giving.
That's a wonderful thing but almost too hard to believe. How does a 4 yr. old have any concept of a Dr. Phil Foundation? I'm sure you told her and cootoes to you and her.

May 28, 2008, 3:31 pm CDT

05/28 Against All Odds

Quote From: bdeartrm

This young mans music is absolutely earth shaking.  I just purchased his CD through Napster and I have got to tell you... he is the next Yanni.  His music brings forth such raw emotions.  It is joyous but at the same time, you can feel an undercurrent of hurt and pain.  It is obvious that he is expressing through his art, the path he has journeyed so far in his short life.

5 stars!!! 
I agree totally !!!! He was just amazing and I thought of Yanni right away also. I'm gonna have to get it !!!!

May 28, 2008, 3:35 pm CDT

05/28 Against All Odds

Quote From: milboo

I watched today's show, but I must have missed the update on the deaf-blind girls..  Can some tell me how they are doing/what was said?  How come there is no link to click on for that part of the show? That was advertised for next day show.

milboo
Milboo... I was waiting the whole show for that part also.  Like did I miss it??? I didn't think so cause I was glued to the TV the whole time. What's up with that???? I came on here just to post that message and you got here before me.

May 28, 2008, 3:40 pm CDT

05/28 Against All Odds

Quote From: dibobrchjo

Todays show was really good.  I love seeing the follow-ups especially when people are helped.  I thought that they were going to follow up on the deaf blind triplets.  That story truly touched me and I was wondering how the children and mom are making out.  Did I miss it???????

No, you didn't miss it cause it never happened. There are others that thought they missed it too but I was glued to the TV just waiting for that and it never happened. What's up with that??? Just something to get you hooked in?? I was on my seat till the last seconds thinking that it would be the last thing that he talks about and then, nothing.

May 28, 2008, 3:43 pm CDT

05/28 Against All Odds

Quote From: kittty56

I agree totally !!!! He was just amazing and I thought of Yanni right away also. I'm gonna have to get it !!!!
I was kind of surprised that Dr. Phil didn't give everyone one of his CDs to the audience. He could have sprung for that one just to help the poor kid out. lol

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last