Message Boards

Topic : 08/07 Against All Odds

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 23, 2008, 07:44:26 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/28/08) Whether through music and dance, or sports and education, The Dr. Phil Foundation makes a difference in the lives of children -- especially those who strive to succeed against all odds. Catch up with some of the deserving donation recipients, and see how their lives have changed. From providing music lessons to help for abused foster children, your contributions have been making an amazing difference. Don’t miss these inspiring stories and more! Then, meet an inspiration to children everywhere. He longed to be a pianist, and after years of hard work and determination, he has toured the globe performing, worked with a multi-Grammy winner and is now a rising star in the music scene. Find out how he did it. Plus, Dr. Phil and Robin make a special announcement. Learn what they're doing and how you can make a positive difference in a child's life. And, don't miss Dr. Phil and Robin's surprises for these guests. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 7, 2008, 6:36 pm CDT

08/07 Against All Odds

Quote From: phonsavanh1

I  have a friend who was recently in a custody battle in which a CASA volunteer was involved.  As my friend had nothing to hide and was willing  to have the CASA volunteer in her home, she had no complaints about the experience.  I am a little confused though, because on the show it was mentioned that CASA only receives money through donations.  My friend, however, was required to pay a $100 fee to the CASA volunteer.  The man involved in the custody battle was also required to pay $100 to the volunteer.  This was not a "donation" from either party, as the CASA volunteers participation and payment was ordered by the court.
I am a CASA . We do not get paid for any of our work and I would report the volunteer to a supervicer or to the judge ASAP if I know of that. Please do so

August 7, 2008, 6:39 pm CDT

08/07 Against All Odds

Quote From: applebees

Please go to www.multistalkervictims.org for you or loved ones/family, friends maybe a so called TI (targeted individual) many victims are comming forward. please help expose this terrorism.
there is a abuse hotline in every state so please call

August 7, 2008, 8:30 pm CDT

when you're stubborn

I enjoyed the show today which came with a bonus of some fine piano playing from William Joseph. I played piano for a time a number of years ago and I find it a fine instrument. I only play by ear but quickly realized the meditating affects it can give a person when troubled times arrive. I found it to be a release and enjoyed playing for hours. Music is a great way to express yourself and and a good way to fight stress, anxiety and even depression.

William Joseph's story is actually very similar to a good friend of mine who sold me the piano. When he was young his parents bought a piano for his sister. But he was told to stay away from the piano. But stubborn as my friend is, he began playing "secretly" and soon became much better than his sister. One day his family found out about his unique talent and from that day on they enjoyed many hours of listening. Today he is one fine pianist.

Music is an important part of our culture. Music is a great way to build character because it touches our inner soul and makes us a better people. Where you find music, you usually find happiness.

August 8, 2008, 12:44 pm CDT

08/07 Against All Odds

Quote From: fabrat

I guess I missed the triplets as well. I was cooking while watching the show and may have been distracted. My daughters friend also donates her birthday presents to charity. Her birthday is around Christmas so she donates to children who would't have a Christmas. She will be 17 this year and I know she has been doing it for at least the last 5 years. I'm not talking about a few gifts I'm talking about box after box of gifts. She always throws a really big party with around 300 kids and they are all asked to bring a new unwrapped gift for a young boy or girl to be donated. It's always a huge success. Last year alone she donated over 700 gifts just from her party. The young lady is quite amazing. She says she has everything she needs and that she wants to be sure other kids have what they need too. Today's show was great but if the triplets were on at all it must have been a really short update.
The only reason I sat through the original airing of this show was to see the promised update on the triplets. But, there was no update. It was just a big "Dr Phil Foundation" promotion.

August 8, 2008, 2:55 pm CDT

casa

Quote From: skbrown419

I'm sorry, that in your state, CASA's were adamant about returning a child to the home they were removed from.  In the state where I was a CASA we were told that we were to advocate for the best interest of the child, no matter what that might be.  It was the state who said the first goal was reunification.  The parents have a lawyer who does what THEY want, the child has a lawyer who does what the CHILD wants, but the CASA is a neutral party who does what's best for the child.  Because a CASA is appointed by the judge and has more assessibilty to information than a case worker, our CPS workers actually wanted us to be involved.  Granted, I would love to have "fixed" every home so the child could return, but if that was not the safest place then I would look for other more suitable situations.  The CASA program can be a great thing for a child.  I'm sorry your experience was a bad one for you and possibly the children you represented.
I have both worked for cps and am now a casa volunteer. So I know both worlds. My last case was sad and against our efforts the children were sent back to their parent. We advocate on what is best for the children and sometimes it is best to give them a fresh start if that previous home has not changed. It saddens me that you see us as the bad guys here because surely you know we do not have the final say! the judge has that say and sometimes "against all odds" the judge sends them back into a home that has not changed. I have graduated college and did some undergrad work, so please do not assume we have no training and we do not know what we are doing! Our chapter has more training that I could never make all of them even if I had nothing else to do. Here  the children have their lawyer as well, so hopefully the chilren won't get lost in the shuffle. I think we do the best we can, but the judge still has the final say.

August 8, 2008, 6:06 pm CDT

08/07 Against All Odds

Quote From: caube1977

Hi

I'm a 30 year old man with Cerebral Palsy from Timmins Ontario Canada. I cannot talk or walk

When I was 4 months old, the doctor told my mom I would be in a play pen all my  life wow was he wrong!!!!!!

I

• Graduated high school in honors, I never stepped foot  in a special class
  • I took marketing in college
  • took 2 years of web design
  • opened my own Web Design business,
  • Am publishing my own disability magazine in my city
  • I love working.
  • Am a social bug

If any one wants to speak with me my e-mail is caube1977@personea.ca

Regards

Life's what YOU MAKE OF IT

Correct e mail is caube1977@persona.ca

August 9, 2008, 5:10 am CDT

08/07 Against All Odds

Quote From: phonsavanh1

I  have a friend who was recently in a custody battle in which a CASA volunteer was involved.  As my friend had nothing to hide and was willing  to have the CASA volunteer in her home, she had no complaints about the experience.  I am a little confused though, because on the show it was mentioned that CASA only receives money through donations.  My friend, however, was required to pay a $100 fee to the CASA volunteer.  The man involved in the custody battle was also required to pay $100 to the volunteer.  This was not a "donation" from either party, as the CASA volunteers participation and payment was ordered by the court.
I am C.A.S.A. and we can not except money other then donations and that money will go to the children 100%. I would check with the C.A.S.A. supervise. Daniela

August 9, 2008, 4:15 pm CDT

My son is against all odds

Dr. Phil

I watched your show and it is wonderful with all you do but I want you to know that all is not perfect.  In May 2008 I stopped at the Boys and Girls Club in Northeast Florida, Beaches Area to find out about my son attending and I was told "this is not the place for him" this was by the director of the branch of the Boys and Girls Club.  My son ski, Ice skates, swims, and does anything else he wants to, he's just blind.  This director would not even give my son a chance to try this club.  WHY????

Then I watch your show and see that they give scholarships to children to learn music???? My son has the ablitity to learn any instrument he picks up, piano, accordion, dulicimer, harmonica. He is trying to learn trumpet, gutair, and chanter (bag pipe).  My son is having to teach himself. WHY???? He also knows all our Presidents, all our capitols, and all the capitols to every country of the world, including their language, currency, total land area, and population.  He is also trying to learn to speak: Hebrew, Croatian, French, Chinese, Italian and Pursian.All by himself. WHY????

So My son is still "AGAINST ALL ODDS."

September 18, 2008, 5:08 pm CDT

CASA Website Problems?

Or maybe Dr. Phil and his beautiful wife mentioning the organization made the site "too busy". :) I can't seem to get past the locate an organization near you section. Anyone else having these problems? I have to say, in all the years I've watched Dr. Phil, THIS was what made me join the website group here. :) Not that there isn't a ton of wonderful things that Dr. Phil does but this was one of those "right up my alley" things.

Stacy

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next Page | Last Page