Message Boards

Topic : 08/07 Against All Odds

Number of Replies: 69
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 23, 2008, 07:44:26 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 05/28/08) Whether through music and dance, or sports and education, The Dr. Phil Foundation makes a difference in the lives of children -- especially those who strive to succeed against all odds. Catch up with some of the deserving donation recipients, and see how their lives have changed. From providing music lessons to help for abused foster children, your contributions have been making an amazing difference. Don’t miss these inspiring stories and more! Then, meet an inspiration to children everywhere. He longed to be a pianist, and after years of hard work and determination, he has toured the globe performing, worked with a multi-Grammy winner and is now a rising star in the music scene. Find out how he did it. Plus, Dr. Phil and Robin make a special announcement. Learn what they're doing and how you can make a positive difference in a child's life. And, don't miss Dr. Phil and Robin's surprises for these guests. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 24, 2008, 9:28 am CDT

help needed for all victims

there needs to be help for all the members of the families that have a sexual abuse case in their family.It not only affects the victim but its like a ripple in a pond and keeps getting larger and larger .There is help for the perpatrator and the victim but none for the wives and the victims family members.This needs to be addressed Thakyou marlene

May 24, 2008, 10:41 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Against All Doctor Odds Phil/Robin. I thought it would be fun to have your guests come to Denver, Color-

ado for the Summer Vacation. Doctor Phil Denver got two Amunsment Park. 01 Elitch Gardens and Lak-

eside Park. See you on Wednesday May 28th, 2008. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------------------

May 26, 2008, 10:19 pm CDT

Against All Odds

I am the parent of a 15 year old autistic son who has beat the odds.  He has been mainstreamed since kindergaten.  This young man didn't speak until he was 5 years old.  We had a nuerologist tell us that he would never walk or talk and to find an instution to put him in.  I hear all of these parents on your show of how hard it is to raise children, and sometimes I truly laugh out loud, you don't have a clue how hard it is until you have a child with special needs, even with him being mainstreamed he is still picked on and bullied by alot of his peers for being a little bit diffrent, but he such a forgiving soul that he has taught my husband and I more than we realized, he explains to us that they were just raised that way and can't help it and for us not to take it personal because he doesn't .  I have never really had a forgiving heart until he taught me. 

This young man of ours makes A's and B's.  He has never made a C since he has been in school.  He also plays in our High School Band in the percussion section.  He has done an excelent job and has so much school spirit it would put the cheerleaders to same.  We recently went to Floridia with the band and they were picked to march in the Disney parade. 

When were told he was autistic we didn't know what it was, but I began a research and a commintment to him and many others just like him to find out what worked for him and how to teach him, to me we all learn diffrently some just a little more diffrent that others..   His goal is to go to Oklahoma Universty.  He would love to do something in sports like a sports casters.  Who knows but he has beat the ODDS.

May 28, 2008, 10:11 am CDT

What a kid

Quote From: debrose43

I am the parent of a 15 year old autistic son who has beat the odds.  He has been mainstreamed since kindergaten.  This young man didn't speak until he was 5 years old.  We had a nuerologist tell us that he would never walk or talk and to find an instution to put him in.  I hear all of these parents on your show of how hard it is to raise children, and sometimes I truly laugh out loud, you don't have a clue how hard it is until you have a child with special needs, even with him being mainstreamed he is still picked on and bullied by alot of his peers for being a little bit diffrent, but he such a forgiving soul that he has taught my husband and I more than we realized, he explains to us that they were just raised that way and can't help it and for us not to take it personal because he doesn't .  I have never really had a forgiving heart until he taught me. 

This young man of ours makes A's and B's.  He has never made a C since he has been in school.  He also plays in our High School Band in the percussion section.  He has done an excelent job and has so much school spirit it would put the cheerleaders to same.  We recently went to Floridia with the band and they were picked to march in the Disney parade. 

When were told he was autistic we didn't know what it was, but I began a research and a commintment to him and many others just like him to find out what worked for him and how to teach him, to me we all learn diffrently some just a little more diffrent that others..   His goal is to go to Oklahoma Universty.  He would love to do something in sports like a sports casters.  Who knows but he has beat the ODDS.

Wow you are truly blessed!! You're right you don't know hard till you have a child with special needs. I also have an AMAZING child with special needs. He's the light of my life. We've been through the bullies etc and he's still a very loving and forgiving child even though he's been through so much. Band is a wonderful thing to be in. My 16 yo is in the colorguard and we all love it. I never thought i would look forward to going to a football game but i do now. She's just made it on the team for her 3rd year and we're very excited about it. I applaud you for stepping up when your child needed you instead of just checking out and feeling sorry for yourself. Thanks so much for sharing your story with us!

May 28, 2008, 11:44 am CDT

Sounds Like.....

Quote From: debrose43

An INCREDIBLE young man with some pretty awesome parent, to me!!!

May 28, 2008, 1:20 pm CDT

DEAF BLIND TRIPLETS

Todays show was really good.  I love seeing the follow-ups especially when people are helped.  I thought that they were going to follow up on the deaf blind triplets.  That story truly touched me and I was wondering how the children and mom are making out.  Did I miss it???????

May 28, 2008, 1:21 pm CDT

5/28/08 show; and CASA

Today's show was incredibly touching. I'm a musician (a vocalist; mezzo-soprano) who knows how tough it is with funding and the like. I'm going to be a senior in high school, and ever since elementary school the music program has always been pushed down for academics, and sports. The Urban Entertainment Institute segment of today's show touched me; hearing about that boy's drum interest then seeing him playing on plastic buckets was truly heart-wrenching. It's so refreshing to know that at least Dr. Phil sticks up for music education of our youth, even when others are all for higher grades and better athletic performance, and cutting arts/music programs in our schools. The other segment that really touched me was the CASA segment. I've known about the CASA program since my freshman year of high school; our locl CASA office has a sort of "American Idol" for schools in our county. I was the winner of this competition this past year, which led to me singing at the gala for our CASA. I wasn't even aware of CASA being a national organization until I saw a TV commercial about it, and I think that CASA being on your show could really make a large difference. I plan to be an advocate one day, as I think CASA is a truly amazing organization. The donations to music programs and CASA really touched me today, and I have utmost respect for Dr. Phil for being a part of such wonderful things.

May 28, 2008, 1:44 pm CDT

Thanks to the great work.

"Anyone who does anything to help a child in this life is a hero to me."

-Fred Rogers

Dr Phil and his foundation do remarkable work. It is wonderful to see the different ways that children are benefiting from his work.  

Thank you for all that you do to better the children, parents and their families. Each is an act that helps to give children a chance.

May 28, 2008, 2:32 pm CDT

CASA

As a retired CPS investigator, who unfortunately had those stacks of files to deal with, I cringed as did my fellow workers whenever a CASA person was court ordered to our case. Depending on the state, the primary mandate of most foster care agencies is to return the child to the home. CASA workers took this to mean "no matter what". They fought investigators tooth and nail to return the children to awful homes. I am sorry that the show is being snowed by these "mentors". A little more investigation would certainly reveal some absolutely stunning bad decisions on the part of these undereducated do gooders. I have retired for ten years and it still bothers me.

May 28, 2008, 2:34 pm CDT

deaf blind triplets?

I watched today's show, but I must have missed the update on the deaf-blind girls..  Can some tell me how they are doing/what was said?  How come there is no link to click on for that part of the show? That was advertised for next day show.

milboo

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last