Message Boards

Topic : 05/29 The Sex Talk

Number of Replies: 101
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, May 23, 2008, 07:50:23 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil delves into a topic so terrifying, so uncomfortable and daunting that some parents absolutely refuse to do it … It’s the sex talk! With the help of Dr. John Chirban and his book, What’s Love Got to Do with It: Talking with Your Kids about Sex, Dr. Phil takes on some petrified parents who are long overdue for this discussion. Jackie is a mother of two daughters, 11 and 13. She’s so terrified to have the talk, she’s never even brought up the topic! Just the thought of the S word sends Jackie into a tailspin. Dr. Chirban coaches Jackie through what she calls the most difficult conversation in her life. How do Jackie’s daughters think she did? Then, Pam is a mother who thought she had everything right when it came to talking to her 14-year-old daughter, Ashley, about sex. So why does she now think her daughter might be pregnant? Pam and Ashley visited the doctor and are ready to hear the results of the pregnancy test. Plus, meet a mother and father who are terrified that their 10-year-old son will be scarred for life from what he recently saw on the Internet. Then, Dr. Chirban sits down with a group of kids to find out what they know about sex, while the parents secretly watch. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

How do you talk to your teens about sex? Share your story.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 24, 2008, 10:47 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Phil Sex Talk The. I never heard of that before but if you hum a few bars then I would know. But no-

t right now. See you on Thursday May 29th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------

May 24, 2008, 4:15 pm CDT

Sex Talk

I am really hoping that the14 year old girl is not pregnant! I am 26 with a 2 year old daughter, and I couldn't imagine having this responsibility at such a young age. Being a parent is the hardest job in the world. It is the most rewarding job as well, but I dont think young girls picture parent hood being so tough. Sex talk or no sex talk teenagers have too much unsupervised time. Parents have to work which leaves the kids doing who knows what. It's really scary to think about what the trends and the world will be like when my innocent daughter is ready for the TALK!! I know that I am going to be open and honest about sex with my daughter. It is a fact of life, dont you want your children to learn from you instead of the school bus?

May 24, 2008, 8:38 pm CDT

The Sex Talk

Wow I cant wait for this show.

May 26, 2008, 1:33 pm CDT

05/29 The Sex Talk

When I was expecting my second child, my daughter was turning 5. I always took her with me everywhere possible. I had to get the rhogam shot during my pregnancies because I am Oneg. and my husband is Opos. When I went to get the shot I took my daughter with me. Later on, after my son my born, she said, "Mommie, let's go back down to the doctor's office and get you another shot so we can have another baby." Now mind you, during the pregnancy I had answered anything and everything that she had asked me. And it's been so long ago that I can't remember what she asked. But ,I had got a book at the library to sort of help guide me , so I'd be sure to answer in an age appropriate manner. I answered what she asked and didn't volunteer anything beyond her curiosity. According to the book that was the way to go. I think what really stood out in her mind was my getting the rhogam shot, and she decided that was how I got pregnant in the first place.

May 26, 2008, 1:35 pm CDT

05/29 The Sex Talk

Quote From: padilla69

Wow I cant wait for this show.
Me too! I never did quite believe that story about the cabbage patch, did you?  :-)

May 27, 2008, 5:46 pm CDT

05/29 The Sex Talk

I think it's very important for parents to talk with children about sex, & know how to protect themselves from having children &/or diseases. I know many friends (MySpace friends included) & families that have children outside of marriage. One of my relatives, for example, already has two children, with a third one on the way! How old is he? About only 19! He does have a job, but that's not going to be enough to support himself & his kids. His first child is turning four this August, by the way. Now he'll really have to step up & get himself a GED if he is going to succeed in doing that. A friend of mine is getting married to her baby's father this summer, & she admitted it to me that she was very young & stupid to not think of the consequences (I believe that she was 17 or 18 at the time). However, that doesn't mean I have to do it! I'm getting ready to turn 26 later on next Friday, but I've never had sex, nor do I intend to have it before marriage (I'm a man, by the way). Why? Three things:

1.) I don't want to be placed in the same predicament as my family & friends that I know of who already have children,

2.) I don't want to catch any kinds of diseases (Genital Herpes included; condoms don't exactly protect against every disease), &

3.) God intended sex for marriage, & marriage only. If people like myself would wait until marriage (which of course, being with the right person), sex can be wonderful & exciting.

This is why bad things can happen this way, if parents don't teach their sons or daughters about it. They become lost, the girls find themselves pregnant, & they wind up struggling to take care of their children, especially alone. I also believe that males should start to man up, & take care of their responsibilities. There are already too many boys & men out here in this country that wants the pleasure to have sex with a girl or a woman, but don't want the responsibilities of taking care of a child, then they find another girl or woman to have sex with. There are already 6+ Billion people out here on this planet, & half of them that already needs to be fed & taken care of. Why bring more innocent lives into this selfish world if people can't provide for them? Total insanity.

May 29, 2008, 6:43 am CDT

05/29 The Sex Talk

Just read what the show is about and read up on the 14 year old girl Ashley and her clueless mother Pam!!!!!Same old story sad to say, Ashley at 13 had sex with a 19 year old boy, just because he didn't want to hang with a virgin!!!! nothing said about the guy going to jail for doing so, Hopefully on the show we will hear Mom did go the the police and press charges, but I'm guessing not!!!! ( hope I'm wrong) Mom say Ashley wears to tight of cloths and sneaks out at night!!!! what can she do?? clueless to say the least,

May 29, 2008, 6:56 am CDT

05/29 The Sex Talk

you start taking to your children when they are young about everything, drug, sex , friendships, love, and pressures they will face in the years to come!!!! you program them with your morals and ethics, while they still think you hang the moon!!! and you know everything!!!! So when they get older and their friend are their center, your words will ring in the heads, while their friend tell them a different story of what is cool, and what is ok to do!!! You wait to long and then they just defend their friends, because they are their BFF, for the next year until they find a new BFF.

You plant the first seed and you will have a stronger root  in their brains then their friends!!!!!

May 29, 2008, 7:56 am CDT

The Missing Choice

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what happened to the third choice when a girl gets pregnant? I'm talking

about adoption. I had a baby when I was 17, and I gave her up for adoption. I knew I could never

provide the kind of life I had, and I knew someone out there could do better. There are so many kids

out there that are abused and grow up with low self-esteem because they were born to parents who

were too young and immature to give their children the attention they need. I met my daughter 24 years

after I gave her up for adoption. She had a good life with two wonderful parents who loved and cared

for her and she, in turn, has loved and cared for her daughter. How many kids are in foster care? And

how many of them were born to young, immature children? When I had my oldest son, I was 24 years

old. I was not ready to be a mother. I was mentally abusive to him, and verbally abusive to him. And I

have apologized to him, over and over. Don't get me wrong, I loved him, and I wasn't abusive every day.

But my ex-husband was abusive in every sense of the word, and when things were going bad between

him and I, I took it out on my son. My son and I have talked about it, and he's forgiven me, although he

doesn't think I was a bad mother. But seeing the kind of mother I am now, having matured, I realize

that I could have done much better had I waited to have kids until I was ready. Parenting is the hardest

job on the face of the earth. And it's a full-time job. And, you can't quit. Although some people do. That's

sad, all by itself.  I honestly don't believe teenagers should be having children. And why is it that parents

can be punished for bad things their kids do, but when it comes to a teenager wanting to keep a child,

the parents have no say. Are kids kids? Or are kids adults? I don't know about you, but I'm confused!

May 29, 2008, 9:32 am CDT

Think before you act. .

I wish more parents would talk to their kids or that someone would teach kids (or ever adults for that matter) on sex education.  When I was in school I know of 3 girls and 2 guys that ended up with STD's.  Some of them contracted the more serious ones that can never be all the way healed.  That has years ago . . I can't imaging what it is like now.  One time is all it takes and you could pay for it for a lifetime. . whether it be. . STD's, getting pregnant or what about AIDS!  This is a reality. . STD's, getting pregnant or AIDS is all possible when having sex.  And that goes for ALL ages.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last