Message Boards

Topic : 07/29 Prenup Problems

Number of Replies: 48
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, July 24, 2005, 03:39:09 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1

You’re ready to tie the knot, but how far should you go to protect your money and assets? First up, Dr. Phil looks at prenuptial disagreements making Hollywood headlines. Then, Shelby says she lost everything in a financially devastating divorce, and she wants her new man to sign a prenup. Why is he refusing? Is she being realistic or really paranoid? Next, Helen walked out on the man of her dreams when he slapped her with a prenup ... one month before the wedding! Was she right not to sign on the dotted line? Then, a millionaire with an unusual ultimatum. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 29, 2005, 1:40 pm CDT

SIGN OR DONT MARRY

THE PERSON YOU MARRY TODAY ISN'T THE SAME PERSON  THE DAY AFTER THE MARRIAGE. SIGNING THAT MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE CHANGES EVERYTHING. PLUS WITH THE DIVORCE LAWS TODAY AND THE CROCKED LAWYERS AND JUDGES YOU HAVE TO PROTECT YOURSELF BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT YOU OR YOUR KIDS. I'VE BEEN THERE I LOST EVERYTHING BECAUSE MY LAWYER DIDN'T GO TO COURT PREPARED. I WAS CALLED A LIAR BECAUSE MY LAWYER DIDN'T PROVIDE A SINGLE PIECE OF MY DOCUMENTATION IN COURT. THEN WORST OF ALL YOU CANT FIGHT THE LAWYERS YOU DONT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY PLUS THE LAWS PROTECT THEM. ITS A LOSE LOSE SITUTATION.  THEY JUST SAY YES HE WAS NEGLIGENT BUT OH WELL I'M STARTING OVER AT THE AGE OF 43. WATCH YOUR BACK BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WILL  PRENUP OR WALK AWAY. IF THEY REALLY LOVE YOU THEY WILL DO IT.

July 29, 2005, 1:47 pm CDT

SIGN IT OR MOVE ON

IN ANOTHER MARRIAGE I OWNED EVERYTHING AND HE HAD $120 TO HIS NAME. I HAD 3 SMALL CHILDREN. WE DIVORCED AND DUE TO DIVORCE LAWS HE RECEIVED 1/2 OF EVERYTHING. PLUS HE RECEIVED ALL THE GIFTS HE BOUGHT ME AND ALL THE GIFTS I BOUGHT HIM.

SHELBY STICK TO YOUR GUNS-----THE DIVORCE LAWS ARE SO WRONG. THERE ARE TO MANY THINGS WRONG WITH THE LEGAL SYSTEM.

July 29, 2005, 1:51 pm CDT

SIGN IT OR MOVE ON

I was marriage and he had $120. to his name. I owned everything and had money in the bank. I have 3 young kids. He was awarded 1/2 of all my belongings including the money I saved from the time  he moved out to the time we went to court. He received the gifts I bought him and the gifts he bought me. The divorce laws are beyond unfair. They are just plain wrong. I dont know who makes these laws but they cant possibly be divorced.

SIGN THE PRENUP OR FIND SOMEONE WHO REALLY LOVES YOU FOR YOU AND NOT FOR YOUR MONEY!!! SHELBY WAKE UP NOW!!!!!!!! BEFORE IT'S TO LATE. DON'T BE SORRY LIKE ME

July 29, 2005, 1:56 pm CDT

Go Helen!

The show isn't even over in my time zone, but I've got to tell Helen that not only did she do the right thing, but count her lucky stars that she found out now, what a cad her fiance`really is and not on the wedding night.

I can't believe the guy wanted her to pay HALF the utillities! She was remodeling HER house for him, the least he could have done was spring for the light bill! HE sounds like the golddigger because he wasn't totally upfront about fininaces or he would have mentioned a pre-nup before the invitations were sent.

And anyway who wants a man who can't make a decision on his own. It's not his buddies fault that he didn't know YOU well enough to think you would stand for this. He's the one that lost here by letting a beautiful, articulate woman slip through his fingers for the sake of macho pride.

Wishing you all the best,

B. McGuire

July 29, 2005, 2:10 pm CDT

Stand your ground!

Quote From: tebssis

The show isn't even over in my time zone, but I've got to tell Helen that not only did she do the right thing, but count her lucky stars that she found out now, what a cad her fiancereally is and not on the wedding night.

I can't believe the guy wanted her to pay HALF the utillities! She was remodeling HER house for him, the least he could have done was spring for the light bill! HE sounds like the golddigger because he wasn't totally upfront about fininaces or he would have mentioned a pre-nup before the invitations were sent.

And anyway who wants a man who can't make a decision on his own. It's not his buddies fault that he didn't know YOU well enough to think you would stand for this. He's the one that lost here by letting a beautiful, articulate woman slip through his fingers for the sake of macho pride.

Wishing you all the best,

B. McGuire

I can't believe that That man would even do such a thing......what am I saying.....man will do anything. When presented....do like Helen and get an attorney to read it and explain it to you. Otherwise you might just get screwed big time.

Don't waste any more time over this selfish person. There are men out there that are good.....make such you have them sign a prenup.....as was said...the person you marry is not the same person you're going to divorce.

Take care and know that you will heal and you did the right thing.

July 29, 2005, 2:13 pm CDT

Shelby...don't you give up!

Shelby......this man is a user.....he hit you? and you didn't throw him out?

He says he doesn't drink like that any more...he is still drinking?

He is addicted to Vicodin...2 years use ..yes addicted!

He's on disability? Ohhh what a gravy train ride he has in you.

There are others out there that are more worthy of you....get him out on his own and see how he does before marrying this guy.

July 29, 2005, 2:21 pm CDT

Pre-nup reversed!

I am engaged and getting married in 4 months. I am on the other side of the fence. I have a lot of family money and he hasn't got as much. He makes more money though in his work. My father insisted on a prenup and I am glad he did. We are looking at it though as good for both of us. The prenup protects his income, and it also protects my family's money. Pre-nups are good. We are setting things up to include decisions about how the children's time will be split, how finiances will be divided, and many other issues about the business of married life. Yes we are using my lawyers and it is supposed to favor me, but instead of serving my fiance papers I am choosing to draw up and equal agreement while we are both in love and happy with each other. It is easier to make these decisions fairly while you are in love than make them when you are angry and vengeful. Hope all you brides the best. Do this together and it wont feel like a prenup, it will feel like an agreement between your soon to be spouse and you. I will insist my children do it as well. And infact, I am using this lawyer thing to my advantage and having our livig wills, wills, and etc... drawn up as well! Good luck to all!

July 29, 2005, 2:42 pm CDT

So what's the problem?

My fiance and his family are very well off. We are getting married in May and a prenup has been brought up several times. You see he was married once before and see took him for almost three quarters of a million. So in the beginning of our relationship, his family was a little leary of me, mostly because I am 25 years younger than him. I do see their concern. So I was the one that brought up the prenup, my fiance doesn't want one, but I think that it would put a lot of minds to rest. I am by NO means after his money, only his heart. I have even concidered having his mother help me draw one up since I have no idea what one should include. So I guess i don't see the big deal about signing a prenptual agreement.    

July 29, 2005, 3:07 pm CDT

With one week to our wedding-I signed one!

My fiance (now husband) has a very controlling family. He is coming into some wealth, and I swear it was his family's idea. With two weeks prior to our wedding, I was handed a pre-nup. I was able to get immediate legal advice luckily from two family friends that are lawyers and advice from another outside lawyer as well.

This pre-nup was so unbelievably one sided, that if at anytime he decides to leave me, he takes everything he put into the marriage (meaning this wealth he's to come into). I will be left with nothing, even though I am bearing his children. I was advised NOT to sign it.

But what do you do when you are now a week and a half from your wedding and you love this guy?

We fought like cats and dogs for those two weeks. He told me, if you don't sign this the wedding won't happen. He got mad at me because my lawyers wanted to compromise and come up with a fair agreement.

The week of our wedding, my lawyers sent his lawyer our proposal. He told his Dad about it one night over the phone, and they got into a fight. (Which leads me to believe to this day- this wasn't just my fiance's idea).

His lawyers shot my proposal down and it wasn't even a major change. All I asked that he leaves me, then I will be covered financially. As it was written all on the pretense that "what if she leaves me" theory. I also asked to have the prenup reviewed in 7 years.

All of which he said NO to. So with 3 days to our wedding, I was forced under duress to sign. I was so heartbroken that this was written in such a manner towards me. I am terrified that if we get divorced, I will lose everything!

July 29, 2005, 4:21 pm CDT

single for 5 months

i am 16 and i have been single for 5months i was with this guy for almost 6 months he was like my best friend i new him for 2 years i want him back he wants to date me agian to but i dont know what i should do could any of yall help me i love him he is 18 and his name is matt do yall think i should date him

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next | Last