Message Boards

Topic : 07/11 Abducted from School

Number of Replies: 99
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 03, 2008, 01:07:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You might think of the classroom as a safe, protected environment for learning, but how safe is your child’s campus? Could a stranger take your little one right off the school grounds? That’s what happened to 6-year-old Kendall, who was abducted from a private Catholic school by a 47-year-old man she had never met before. Dr. Phil sits down with Kendall’s mother, Natasha, to hear her terrifying account of the abduction and the surprising racial aspect of the case. Did the school release Kendall to a total stranger just because he was black? Plus, Natasha sits face to face with the family of the man who kidnapped little Kendall. Emotions run high as they make a heart-felt plea for their son. Would he be better off in jail, or a mental institution? Next, Latoia's son, 4-year-old Zachari, was released by a teacher's aide to a complete stranger who rode up on a bicycle! Latoia and "Little Z" join Dr. Phil to tell how this potential tragedy turned out to be a comedic mix-up. But how could the school let this happen, and what measures are the administrators taking? And, Dr. Phil reveals what you need to know -- and more importantly, what your child needs to know -- to prevent an abduction, including some high-tech devices no parent should be without. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 6, 2008, 6:11 am CDT

07/11 Abducted from School

im glad this topic is being discussed, it should have been discuessed along time ago. a child being abducted fomr school is just as likely as any other abduction. some schools i guess arent aware of that.

July 6, 2008, 8:36 am CDT

Abuducted from School

In  Canada, particularily Toronto, Ontario, the biggest city close to where I live, we've had several instances where unauthorized intruders have made their way into  our public elementary schools and high schools. In the elementary schools, there have been several failed attempted abuductions, and in the high schools, stabbing/shootings that have ended badly with severe injuries and fatalities to students.

These were news headlines, as a Canadian, I was use to hearing coming from the American news stations. We use to say, "These awful, ugly things would never happen in Canada. We are a safer country than our US cousins to the south.  "We have gun and weapon laws," we would brag. "We prosecute our wrong doers to full extent of the law."  Then, we would pound our chests with proud defiance.

But, never, say never.

In today's world, it dosen't seem to matter where you live. This cancer of violence knows no country, city or town. This cancer of violence invading our daily lives has no fear of consequences for it's own actions,  and has no respect for life, or the living.

If, as parents, we don't feel safe in our own houses anymore, why would we assume our children are safe under someone else's roof when they are not at home.

Until guns and drugs are banished from the face of this earth, I'll still be feeling hopeless, and helpless in Canada.

July 6, 2008, 9:08 am CDT

07/11 Abducted from School

This is sooooo scary, I'm glad my kids are older, but then that dosen't always protect them either.
My kids go to a PUBLIC SCHOOL that has VERY strict policies on who picks up a child, WRITTEN PARENTAL CONSENT (for anyone other than yourself or spouse if Applicable) and PHOTO ID.
I remember as a VOLUNTEER with Girl Guides (Girl Scouts ), I asked PARENTS "Is there ANYONE your child is NOT allowed to go with ? ", and I've had to enforce that a couple of times to protect the child, this is kept confidential.
My heart goes out to her Mother.

July 6, 2008, 11:55 am CDT

Tracking Devices

The bottom of Dr. Phil's blurb on this show says to 'find out about high-tech equipment every parent should have.'  Why isn't this stuff made known to us BY our schools??  There is a battery commercial out that shows a little boy disapearing and his mother pulls out this mini GPS looking thing that shows which direction her child is.  They briefly mention the name of this device as if all parents already have one. Why don't we and why do we have to wait until Friday's show to find out! Hahaha!

My son is 3 and I took him to Chuck E. Cheese's for the first time not to long ago.  They stamped us both with the same number that could only be read under a black light and wrote the number down stating no one could leave with my son if their numbers didn't match.  I then let my son run around and didn't get too crazy if he was out of my sight for a minute (2 minutes, yes... :D) But when we left, both of our numbers had been rubbed off! And, they let me leave with him anyway!! I wondered if it was because we were both black! I went nuts!  Anyone could have rubbed off his or her own number and my kid's and taken him!

So what do I do? Complain to management? Never go back? Get that tracking device? All of the above!

~Dez

July 7, 2008, 7:01 pm CDT

sister rivarly

This all started along time ago.  My sister and I never got along.  She was always trying to be Miss Perfect.  I thought that sisters were supposed to help each other?  Where was my sister when I needed her?  I was jealous because she had the boy friends, she had better grades. She used to tell on me all the time for things that I did in school.  That is one of the reasons that we didn't get along.  As time went by I got married and left home.  We still don't talk much, actually hardly ever.  I would like to try and make a relationship with my sister, but I don't trust her.  How would you handle this?

July 10, 2008, 3:31 pm CDT

Abducted from school

We had a problem like this happen last year at the school that I work at. We had a guy who came on our school grounds and try to Abducted a child from our campass. The guy grabed her by the arm and she started screaming and he let her go.

I am just stunned of how a teacher can release a child to stranger with out calling the parent and asking them if it is ok or not to release there child to this othere person.

We have a program in place know. If a stranger comes into the front office asking to pick up a child we contact the parent to make sure it is ok to release there child to this person. If the parent said no or if we can not get in contact with anyone then we call the police.

Most of the children that I work with there parents are really good about letting us now if they are going to have someone else pick them up that is not a family member.

July 10, 2008, 6:45 pm CDT

Abducted from School

I would call a person absolutely crazy if they thought that a school or classroom is safe. Nowadays there's more violence in schools, and it ain't getting any better. There's shootings, drugs, fights, stabbings. There's women get sexually harassed and raped.  Does that really sound like a safe Learning Environment. Its just not in high schools. Its in local colleges and universities all over the country........

July 11, 2008, 6:42 am CDT

CHILD MISSING FROM CT. STILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LIVE IN CONNECTICUT, AND WAY OVER SEVERAL YEARS AGO NOW.. A LITTLE GIRL NAMED "BIANCA" , I BELIEVE , WAS TAKEN RIGHT OFF THE SCHOOL YARD... SHE HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN AGAIN.. THIS STORY STUCK IN MY MIND AND HEART BECAUSE IT IS THE TOWN RIGHT NEXT DOOR FROM ME... HOW CAN A SCHOOL LET THIS HAPPEN...  IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO READ THE STORY ,,THE LINK IS HERE... MAYBE SOMEONE OUT THERE KNOWS SOMETHING.. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B07E4D6123BF934A25752C1A9679C8B63

PRAYING THIS LITTLE GIRL IS FOUND SOMEDAY.. !!!!!!!!!!!!

July 11, 2008, 6:56 am CDT

Shocked Reaction

I hope more schools will enforce stronger rules that will be followed.

When my school system(I've taught for 33 years)began working on safety plans for each school, some of the other schools were shocked to find the regulations we already had in place at our school:

1. Parents must fill out a paper at the beginning of the year that lists who is allowed to pick up their child.

2. When someone comes to sign out a child, this paper is pulled and checked.  The person picking up the child must provide identification before the child is called from the classroom.

3.  Students who normally ride a bus, MUST have a written note from home presented to the teacher that morning and the note has to be reviewed and approved by the assistant principal.  NO PHONE CALLS!  If the student does not have a note, they are put on the bus!  Changes are not made because little Johnny wants to go home with his friend, emergency changes only.  Assistant Principal makes calls for verification.

4. When our drivers take students home, any K-2 student taken home where there is not someone home, is returned to school and parents are notified to pick them up.

ANYONE who enters our school is required to sign in at the front office.  Our students are trained to know that anyone in our building should either: 1. Be wearing a school ID tag or 2. Have a visitors tag on.

All doors are locked except the front door to the building during the school day.  Our students are trained NOT TO OPEN AN OUTSIDE DOOR TO ANYONE!!  We actually practice this at times.  They should not let in a teacher or even the principal. 

The thing that SHOCKS me is the reaction we sometimes get from parents.  We sometimes have people who get quite upset at being asked to show ID when picking up a child.

Once a new superintendent was offended, "Don't you know who I am?", at being asked to sign in as a guest, but we expect it of EVERYONE who is not an employee of our school!

Joy Berryman

July 11, 2008, 8:18 am CDT

Also Formerly from CT

Quote From: kaspkasp

I LIVE IN CONNECTICUT, AND WAY OVER SEVERAL YEARS AGO NOW.. A LITTLE GIRL NAMED "BIANCA" , I BELIEVE , WAS TAKEN RIGHT OFF THE SCHOOL YARD... SHE HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN AGAIN.. THIS STORY STUCK IN MY MIND AND HEART BECAUSE IT IS THE TOWN RIGHT NEXT DOOR FROM ME... HOW CAN A SCHOOL LET THIS HAPPEN...  IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO READ THE STORY ,,THE LINK IS HERE... MAYBE SOMEONE OUT THERE KNOWS SOMETHING.. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B07E4D6123BF934A25752C1A9679C8B63

PRAYING THIS LITTLE GIRL IS FOUND SOMEDAY.. !!!!!!!!!!!!

The School system are very lacks.  I had and incident where one of my four sons was the star center on the baskeball team and the number on pitcher on the baseball team..  My sons were the only Black children in this Tech School which was supposed to be #! in CT when I moved there from NY.  You think this is going to be great.  Well within 2 weeks of being enrolled a teacher stated to me "how was the investigation going".  The school had been investigating a group of kids in a HVAC class discussion of "Hang the new black boys" and had never notified me or my husband that this was taking place.  I totally lost it.  Cursed out the Prinicpal and the School resource officer that was handling the investigation.  This was the 9th grade.  I called the police.  The Principal was the most incompentent administrator I had ever met.  Finally the teacher and the students had to take sensitivity class, this really did not satisfy me.

During this same year during basketball season this same child was getting really poor grades after meeting this young lady at school, late for class, cutting classes, etc.  which he knew was not acceptable.  Well he told the guidance counselor that his parents were angry that he had a white girlfriend, mind you that was the only option available since they were the only black children in the school and very handsome boys at that, it was inevitable that they date white.   Well the guidance counselor suggestt to my son that he get his parents on neutral grounds and suggested that he go to stay with a fellow student, instead of saying well I contact your parent to discuss it.  He literally told my son to emancipate himself from us. He was also aware that my son was going to run away to this kids house. Well being the parents that we are we go to the school to pick up the boys and one is missing and can't be found.  The guidance couselor had told him to run away to this kids house to get your parents on neutral grouds which should have been his office. I did not know about the conversation with the guidance counselor at that time, it was after baseball practice and no one was in the office that evening and I called the police when I got home. I called some of the kids friends and finally got a phone number for the boys house who he went too.  Well the mother said ok I call your mother later, and went to the mall shopping.   My son nor the kid would pick up the phone, By 1:00 in the am I finally was able to get and address and go disccuss with my son, what the heck was going on.  After talking with the mother which had several children being rasie out side of the home,one kid like here, one there, one with the sister, I could see how disfunctional she was.  The school called Child welfare on me, sent 2 case worker and 3 CT police to my home, the 3 police was because my husband was a big guy per the principal.  To have these people asking my sons questions and check  my two frigerator for for food, checking for scars an beds, asking when is the last time your parents hit you, it was humiliating. Since my other three sons confimed that this particular son was just being a brat and they had not been beating in years(and mind you they all had just gotten new $100 sneakers and were always well dressed, very neatly when these people arrived we were on our way to visit new high schools cause I pulled them out that day), they dropped the case after completing the investigation.  But to this day, I feel  I should have sued the school, the principal and the counselor because it is something you never forget.  My son later told me that the boy was using cocaine (a ninth grader) and was no longer his friend.  I use to wonder if I had left my son with the woman and her family for a few days would he appreciate what he had at home a little more.  After that the principal would bend over for me to put my foot up his butt for the next 3 years.  But to this day my kids have so much respect for the strengths of there mother constantly fighting for them.  And have developed into extremely strong young men because of all the racist issues they faced in Torrington CT, Truck set on fire, confederate flag left on lawn, bullet hole into one of my sons bedroom window.  It was so unreal that all this happen in this time and age only 6 years ago.  I am really suprised none of my boys were ever hurt in that very racist environment.

As parents we have to stay strong and hold the system reponsible when we put our children in there care.
Also as caring parents listen to our kids, take the good and the bad, my sons to this day do not lie to me beacuse I have always told them you have to remember that lie and tell it the same way each time so don't do it.  I thank God that this same kid who is now 22 and still playing baseball in CT, has the strength of his parents, cause dad is CALM, and mom is Storm, so he's got a good balance.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last