Message Boards

Topic : 07/11 Abducted from School

Number of Replies: 99
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 03, 2008, 01:07:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
You might think of the classroom as a safe, protected environment for learning, but how safe is your child’s campus? Could a stranger take your little one right off the school grounds? That’s what happened to 6-year-old Kendall, who was abducted from a private Catholic school by a 47-year-old man she had never met before. Dr. Phil sits down with Kendall’s mother, Natasha, to hear her terrifying account of the abduction and the surprising racial aspect of the case. Did the school release Kendall to a total stranger just because he was black? Plus, Natasha sits face to face with the family of the man who kidnapped little Kendall. Emotions run high as they make a heart-felt plea for their son. Would he be better off in jail, or a mental institution? Next, Latoia's son, 4-year-old Zachari, was released by a teacher's aide to a complete stranger who rode up on a bicycle! Latoia and "Little Z" join Dr. Phil to tell how this potential tragedy turned out to be a comedic mix-up. But how could the school let this happen, and what measures are the administrators taking? And, Dr. Phil reveals what you need to know -- and more importantly, what your child needs to know -- to prevent an abduction, including some high-tech devices no parent should be without. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 11, 2008, 2:58 pm CDT

Unable to remember grandchildren's names

I was just watching Dr. Phil and when the story of the man who did not know he had picked up a child who was NOT his grandchild came up people acted as if that was just rediculous.  I, however, could relate.  Bless his heart, my grandfather who is now deceased had 22 grandchildren ranging in ages from 40 something to late teens - and I have no idea how many step-grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  When he was approximately 82 years old, I went to his house to help with some cleaning.  I knocked on the door, he let me in, and I proceeded to start on his housework.  After I had been there for about 30 minutes I was making his bed.  He came to the doorway and watched me for a little while then said, "Now just who are you?"  I told him I was his daughter's daughter and told him her name and my name.  Then I told him, "Papa, you shouldn't let people in your house if you don't know who they are." 

My point is this; when there is an elderly person involved - especially one who has a LARGE extended family - there is a chance that they will not be able to keep up with who belongs to whom.  It is reality and the parents of the child involved should not have sent the grandfather to pick the child up. 

July 11, 2008, 3:04 pm CDT

07/11 Abducted from School

This happened to me about 38 yrs ago  I was attending a school in Calif. my grandparents came in from New Mexico to pay a visit and my granfather went to pick me up from school from my understanding another little girl walked with him to my house he gets there and grandma tells him its not me.

July 11, 2008, 3:06 pm CDT

Passwords

My child and I have a password.  It is very simple.  If someone comes to pick up my child, the first thing they are supposed to do is look at her and say the password.  If they do not do this, she is to call me immediately.  If she cannot reach me, she is to notify the office staff immediately.  

July 11, 2008, 3:10 pm CDT

Following the rules...

As an educator and parent, I can completely see both sides. I would be furious as a parent if this had occurred with my child. I also want the message to get out there that there that parents or guardians who are picking up their children need to acknowlege the reason there are these rules of identifying in place. Many times, I have seen parents get upset because they actually had to show an id or follow the rules and not just head to the roon to pick up their child. The responsibility of the safety of our children falls on everyone.

July 11, 2008, 3:10 pm CDT

Magic Word

Our family had a procedure that would have protected these children from being released to a stranger.  Our child knew that she was not to go with someone, even a family friend, UNLESS the person said the "Magic Word".   The word was easy for a young child to remember, but unusual enough that it wouldn't be guessed by the adult.  We rehearsed the word and asking what the magic word was repeatedly.  I hope this helps other people.  The GPS is nice but what if the child's backpack is tossed in the trash.  Goodbye child finder!

July 11, 2008, 3:11 pm CDT

Abducted from school

It was really good to see a show like this today. I was visiting my family in CA in May and my daughter asked me if I could pick up two of my grandsons which I said yes. When I got there the boys saw me and ran to way, told me I had to sign them out. When I entered the classroom the young lady asked who I was. I told her that I was their grandmother, her next question to me if I was on the list for the boys to be picked up, of course I told her no because I was visiting from CO. This young lady got responsibility in not letting me take my two grandsons until she spoke with my daughter on the phone. So what my message is saying I am happy to see that more schools are taking care of our children and not letting them go with complete strangers even thou the children might know them. Anyone picking up children from school should be on the list. Great show, Dr. Phil....

On a happier note I am happy that the four yr old little boy was not harm in any way.

July 11, 2008, 3:37 pm CDT

Rely on brains...Not electronic devices

Today's show made me realize how brilliant my mom was.  When I was young, she told me never to go anywhere with someone unless they knew the password.  She told me if someone (other than her or my dad) showed up and said that I was supposed to go with them, that I wasn't to move an inch unless they said the password.  What concerned me about today's show was that they went straight to the little electronic devices without many details on WHAT to tell your kids.  Role playing is nice, but have a STRATEGY!  If you rely on cell phones or GPS systems, you will get burned.  A smart predator will just yank that little device out of your child's hands and dispose of it...assuming you remembered to give your child the device that day.  It's a lot more difficult to remove intelligence and rehearsed strategies from your child.  The idea would be that your child would refuse to leave with a stranger and would be told to inform the teacher that the stranger doesn't know the password...so the stranger cannot take them.  This would then lead to the teacher calling the appropriate contacts for confirmation.  This should be school policy.

July 11, 2008, 3:49 pm CDT

Policy for after school care

As a state licensed home daycare provider I  would like to say that THIS is the very reason all of us who do home daycare would like to see after school care programs that are run out of schools SHUT DOWN. These kids are NOT safe..why? Because after school care programs in schools are NOT required to follow the same licensing guidelines that the state puts on us home day care providers!!! Most people don't know that! I am required to have all my parents fill out a form for 'authorized people' who are able to pick their child up. I am required to get each persons FULL legal name, phone number, address etc etc..and then if they DO pick the child up, I am required to ask for their ID the first time they pick the child up. They then have to sign the child out with date and time and FULL LEGAL NAME. My records are randomly inspected by the state...after school care programs that are run out of schools are not 'required' to do so. Also, did you know that MOST after school care programs run out of schools are NOT RUN by the school or school board???They are private contractors who get to use TAX BUILT AND BOUGHT school property to run their business without having to pay rent of any sort!  These programs are allowed to hire anyone they want...as long as they pass a basic background check..and so they usually hire teens (because they are cheap) and NOT people who have any background in education/child care etc....The old adage that you get what you pay for is very true in these instances! After school care programs are usually cheaper than what an at home provider would charge, but you do not get the same care/ adult to child ratio/ or other state mandated requirements! You want cheap childcare, then don't count on your child being nurtured and kept safe when you use a cheap after school care program!
There is a great movement afoot to have these sorts of programs SHUT down because the kids are NOT safe...they are not nurtured...they are simply warehoused until mom or dad gets off of work....
Sad....

July 11, 2008, 3:54 pm CDT

PARENTS: PLEASE READ THIS

Dr. Phil gave some great advice about protecting your kids at the end of this show, however, I am very surprised that he failed to mention one of the greatest programs offered throughout our country. This program is called RAD KIDS. It is the best self-defense program for kids of ALL ages. They role play, learn physical self-defense, simulate all kinds of abduction scenarios. There was a girl in Houston that took the class when she was four or five, and an abductor attempted to abduct her at age 9 and she still remembered her RAD kids training and got away. There are classes offered in virtually every city. It is an intense two week program or can be done over a series of weekends. I know, sounds like a lot of time, with all the activities our kids have, and you may have to drive a while to get to a city that is offering the class at a time that is convenient for you. It doesn't cost much, the training it gives our children is priceless. I urge every one who has kids to enroll them in this program, it has saved so many lives. Believe me, the time you will spend taking your kid to this class is worth more than the time you will spend wishing you did when it is your child's name on the roadside Amber alert sign!! Take heed. Our kids are priceless; this world is not what it was when we were kids and this is a valuable resource that everyone should use!!!!!! The program often uses local police officers-they wear a big padded suit & head gear and teach the kids how to take them down as well as simple role-playing with family members and strangers. Please google to find one near you and give your kids the tools!!!! I urge Dr. Phil to check into this and inform the public!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rad Kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have girls and they still know the tools, I sleep better at night-better than a GPS system that will get tossed on the side of the road with the backpack!!

July 11, 2008, 4:21 pm CDT

Abducted from School

First and most importantly, I am thrilled that both children were found safe and alive.  As a former School Board President and Chairman of Policy and Procedure, I am extremely upset.  The Florida Long Branch Elementary School, as well as, the Superintendent deserves to be reprimanded even moreso than the aid who allowed the young boy to leave the school. 

The grandfather who was in the audience was allowed to ask questions to the school administrators.  All were answered but one and Dr. Phil seemed either to go deaf, or deliberately decided to ignore the fact that it was asked and wasn't answered.  The question was: "Why wasn't 911 called immediately when the child's aunt came to pick up her nephew?"  This is a no-brainer.  That should have instinctively and procedurally the first thing that should have occurred.  The police cannot help if they are not called.  In situations like this, every second counts on saving a child's life.  This part of the show was not funny at all...it was inconceivable that such a lack of common sense exists in school systems today.  I hope the family goes after them big time.

Dr. Phil, you should have thanked the administration for coming on, but they are culpable.  9-1-1 SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED and the QUESTION SHOULD HAVE BEEN ANSWERED !

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last