Message Boards

Topic : 07/14 What's Up, Doc? Part Two

Number of Replies: 121
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 10, 2008, 12:10:53 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil’s team of medical experts are back to answer any and every medical question! These four physicians with four different medical specialties are armed with an endless warehouse of health information. First up, the medical dream team weighs in on controversial headlines from uterus transplants to water intoxication. Next, Judith says she suffers from Morgellons, a mysterious disease that causes painful lesions on the skin. Judith is frustrated because she’s had Morgellons for 10 years but says doctors tell her it’s all in her head. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Dorine says her life has been unbearable ever since her uterus dropped out two years ago. She says she can’t exercise, go to the beach or even have sex because of her condition. Is surgery the only answer? And, Samantha went in for simple breast implants but says she became a plastic surgery nightmare. In the past three years, she’s had four implants and 16 surgeries to correct what is now a deformed right breast. What can Samantha do to move forward with her life? Plus, Dr. Phil answers viewers’ most embarrassing questions. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 25, 2008, 5:07 pm CDT

Dr. Tulikangas

Quote From: minette

I can totally feel for Dorine.  Last year, I finally bit the bullet and had my prolapsed uterus removed.  However, I waited too long....not only was my uterus falling out, but it had dragged my bladder and lower bowel down with it.  AND...it gave me excruciating back pain  from the pulling on the inside of my back.

I tried the pessaries, the tampons, sex (it did help...pushed everything back in place temporarily), but in the end, I had a uterine hysterectomy, a cystocele (bladder suspension) and a rectocele (lower bowel suspension).

After much research, I decided to have this surgery last spring at Hartford Hospital (I am a CT resident), Dr. Paul Tulikangas was my surgeon.  It was no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

My hospital stay was 3 1/2 days.  My scar, externally, is about 7" long, but internally, Dr. T. had to cut me from hip to hip. I have the say that the pain was minimal, thanks to wonderful pain management by the hospital staff and adequate meds for home.

I DO have some advice for anyone considering this surgery:

1.) Find the best doctor you can for this!  You may have to go to a Urogynocologist rather than a gynocologist.  Uterine prolapse as severe as Dorine's probably affects her bladder and bowel, and gynocologists are not as prepared to do this type of surgery.

2.) Try to get your weight down ahead of time.

3.) Don't give up on your Kegel exercises.  Strong pelvic muscles will help you heal.

4.) If you have a tendency to get sick from anaesthesia, be SURE to tell your surgeon!  They may recommend you get a prescription for scopolamine (seasick patch).  You will put this patch on behind your ear the day before the surgery.  It worked like a charm!  When I came out of anaesthesia, I was spinning like a top, but I didn't have any nausea.Vomiting is something you DON'T want to do with this type of incision.

5.) I learned yoga stretches and did them faithfully for weeks ahead of surgery.  I'm convinced they helped with my recovery.

6.) Before your surgery, prepare your bedroom at home.  Get a small dorm-sized fridge and have foods like yogurt and other easy-to-digest things.  You'll need to have something in your stomach when you take your meds.  Keep these things within easy reach because you won't be able to climb stairs without assistance for nearly a week afterwards.

7.) If you have no one at home with you, be SURE to arrange for a nurse to stay with you for the first  couple of days home!!!   

I hope this helps someone!  I'm SO glad I did this surgery....I never realized how sick I was before I had it done!  And my back pain has been cut by at least 75%!  So that was a big plus.

Nancy

Hi Nancy
I just got back from my urologist, Dr. Jill Peters-Gee, who referred me to Dr. Tulikangas to have the same surgery you went through last year. (I live in SImsbury) I have a consultation with him next month (the first available appt.). I put his name in google to see if I could find out more about him, and your blog came up. I appreciated all the advice you gave concerning the surgery, and was wondering what part of the surgery was done abdominally as opposed to laprascopically. (you mentioned the seven inch scar)
And looking back, is there anything you would have done differently, and did you end up with any lingering problems from the surgery. Any additional insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Marcia

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next Page | Last Page