Message Boards

Topic : 07/14 What's Up, Doc? Part Two

Number of Replies: 121
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 10, 2008, 12:10:53 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil’s team of medical experts are back to answer any and every medical question! These four physicians with four different medical specialties are armed with an endless warehouse of health information. First up, the medical dream team weighs in on controversial headlines from uterus transplants to water intoxication. Next, Judith says she suffers from Morgellons, a mysterious disease that causes painful lesions on the skin. Judith is frustrated because she’s had Morgellons for 10 years but says doctors tell her it’s all in her head. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Dorine says her life has been unbearable ever since her uterus dropped out two years ago. She says she can’t exercise, go to the beach or even have sex because of her condition. Is surgery the only answer? And, Samantha went in for simple breast implants but says she became a plastic surgery nightmare. In the past three years, she’s had four implants and 16 surgeries to correct what is now a deformed right breast. What can Samantha do to move forward with her life? Plus, Dr. Phil answers viewers’ most embarrassing questions. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 14, 2008, 12:47 pm CDT

Samantha

Hello Samantha, I hope you are reading the message boards. You are a stunningly beautiful woman & I think it's amazing that you have a supportive family behind you. I hope the Dr. from the show can help you. Good luck, I hope everything works out well.
Take care.

July 14, 2008, 12:49 pm CDT

The entry above

Quote From: judkev

I have had symptoms of what is called Morgellons, or Unexplained Dermopathy, for about seven years. For the first five or so, I did not know what it was, but my symptomology is well documented in several physicians office visit notes, and in pictures. I first heard of the name Morgellons on CNN when Dr. Sanjay Gupta was speaking of the fibers coming out of lesions on the skin. This was around August, 2006. By January 2007, I was a me mber of the Morgellon Research Foundation's Nursing Board, and actively seeking answers via information and through treatment, as well as trying to help others with this condition. There is so much to know now. There is hope. I sincerely urge anyone who thinks they or a loved one might have this condition to follow this through the internet, which is now replete with information. There will be many theories and many suggestions for treatment. The most solid physicians I know are with the MRF and the online protocol of Dr. Susan Kolb. She generously offers her collective suggestions online. She also has a weekly radio show called Temple of Health, which can be accessed through RadioSandySprings. On that show, there are two interviews with Dr. Hildegard Staninger, one in March and the other in May of this year. Those provide the best scientific information that I know of. Erin Brockovich also has an entry on her web site called Morgellons: Reality Bites from February of this year, and there are many informative blogs on this site.   

THANK YOU DR. PHIL FOR HAVING THIS ON YOUR SHOW! Please continue to help us.

Thanks for posting the entry above, as I wrote it! I would like to refer the reader to the Morgellons Research Foundation at www.morgellons.com, to the NMO/Charles Holman Foundation at www.thenmo.org, and to the European Morgellons Information site at www.morgellons.eu. These are the most informative sites for education of patients, families, and any physician who wishes to link to other physicians knowledgable about Morgellons treatment. The MRF has many links for concurrent information, as well as historical information on the effort to engage the CDC in the search for cures.

July 14, 2008, 1:04 pm CDT

MORGELLONS

Quote From: nursebetty3876

To everyone reading this, please spread the word around! It's called "MORGELLONS" and it is as real as real gets! I know this 1st hand because I've had it for approx.4 yrs now. I do understand the doubt,disbelief, and hesitation from the outside looking in, but that's enough! The CDC,physicians,scientists,government need to wake up and finally smell the roses! I am not crazy,delusional,self mutilating, or psychotic by any means! I am a 32 yr old divorced, single, mother of 2 awesome boys and a nurse of 7yrs! I am appalled,confused,and extremely concerned of the lack of justice so to speak of "Our great nation under God, indivisible to liberty......And justice for ALL!!!! FOR ALL!!!!!The money spent to disprove and misdiagnose those inflicted with this horrific, disfiguring, slow self -destruction, and from my gathering,highly contagious(possibly through certain blood type or genetic make-up) disease. This is so awful for anyone who has it and unexplainable to endure.I use to be so pretty ans was complimented on my features, now that is gone, but the worst part to fathom is to watch my precious son start to go Through it as well! I tried to tell an ER physician ,but was completely ignored on the whole topic. Now, I've done alot of research and until it is recognized by CDC and the public eye it is useless to go try to get help. My life has steadily deteriorated! I am 24/7 in pain,embarrassed by my appearance, and now without a job due to pain and the unwillingness to spread to others. I recently lost custody of my babies because now I am homeless and the transmission just went out in my car! All I possess now is the love for my boys and hope and faith in GOD to be able to receive treatment so I can turn my life around. I can't get help from the state without a proper diagnosis. So, this goes out to the people that this disease has inflicted..'Keep faith alive,help one another pray for justice together we can make it happen please spread the knowledge to the unknown!' Please if anyone knows what I need to do or can help me and my darling angels, show me the way! Thank you Judith and Dr. Phil and his staff for letting me express my hidden nightmare!  Sincerely,     

Teri of AZ                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

I agree with you 100% .  I have been having this for 6 long years. These doctor's need to see a doctor instead of us. Just because it's not a known disease to treat, they think we are all crazy. I have seen 6 doctor's telling me that I was crazy. One doctor screamed at me and told me that I was crazy. I wrote a letter to the medical board and reported him, they said they couldn't do nothing. Most doctor's are there to treat people for the money not to help people. I hope alot of doctor's read this, they need to start caring for people instead of walking out the room to roll their eye's, telling the nurse, that she is crazy. I have a skin disease not a hearing problem.

Julie of Louisiana

July 14, 2008, 1:11 pm CDT

Morgellons

Quote From: teddybearmama

When  I   read   that   Judith  has  Morgellons  and   has  been  told  its  all  in  her  head   I  immediately   thought  of  my  cousin,Brenda,who  is  also   suffering  from  this.   I  just   wanted  to   let    Judith  know  that   someone  knows  it     is  a  real  condition    and     is  on  her  side.    I've  seen  the  evidence    from   my    Brenda  and    I  know  its   for  real,   not  just  something  she  made  up  in  her  head!     Doctors  need  to  study  about  this  more!     
No she is not alone, I have been having it for 6 years.

July 14, 2008, 1:36 pm CDT

Whats up

Dorine says her life has been unbearable ever since her uterus dropped out two years ago. She says she can’t exercise, go to the beach or even have sex because of her condition. Is surgery the only answer?

Dorine I can understand the fear u have, I just had this surgery done on th 24th of june. While I am still recouperating I can say my stuff is back where it belongs and not hangin out of my body. When this first happened to me a freaked out and was in the er at 10pm saying what the hey. I talked with a sureon and went home and freaked out. My husband thank God has been great. I agree with the Dr.s on Dr Phil go in the day before and make them give you some Heavy duty drugs to relax you. I know right now after all is said and done I'm glad I got over the fear and went ahead and had my surgery. I was in the hospital for a little over 24 hrs and then back home with my family.

go for it     

July 14, 2008, 1:41 pm CDT

morgellons

I just wanted to say that the show "Medical Mystries"  had a story on this disease.  I also remember that there was someone at Oklahoma State University has been the only one doing research on Morgellons disease. I live in Oklahoma and remember the local news had a story on the research being done at OSU. They also said the fibers have been studied and shown that they are not synthetic but are biological based, and the material that the fibers are made of, are no known material either synthetic or biological. I hope this helps anyone looking for more info and hope the doctors are still doing the research.

July 14, 2008, 1:42 pm CDT

To Doreen

Doreen-  Do whatever it takes to have the surgery.   I have had it.   My problem was more from the stand point of my bladder but my uterus was dropped to.  Of course not as severely as yours.    The surgery was relatively painless.    I didn't even use the morphine pump they gave me after the surgery.  I just didn't need any stronger pain reliever than tylenol.    I was back to work after two weeks.  The main problem was that for about a month after the surgery I wasn't supposed to sit for too long a period.   I was horseback riding after a month.   It's been well worth it.  My quality of life has greatly improved.  

July 14, 2008, 1:48 pm CDT

Fallen Uterus

I can totally feel for Dorine.  Last year, I finally bit the bullet and had my prolapsed uterus removed.  However, I waited too long....not only was my uterus falling out, but it had dragged my bladder and lower bowel down with it.  AND...it gave me excruciating back pain  from the pulling on the inside of my back.

I tried the pessaries, the tampons, sex (it did help...pushed everything back in place temporarily), but in the end, I had a uterine hysterectomy, a cystocele (bladder suspension) and a rectocele (lower bowel suspension).

After much research, I decided to have this surgery last spring at Hartford Hospital (I am a CT resident), Dr. Paul Tulikangas was my surgeon.  It was no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

My hospital stay was 3 1/2 days.  My scar, externally, is about 7" long, but internally, Dr. T. had to cut me from hip to hip. I have the say that the pain was minimal, thanks to wonderful pain management by the hospital staff and adequate meds for home.

I DO have some advice for anyone considering this surgery:

1.) Find the best doctor you can for this!  You may have to go to a Urogynocologist rather than a gynocologist.  Uterine prolapse as severe as Dorine's probably affects her bladder and bowel, and gynocologists are not as prepared to do this type of surgery.

2.) Try to get your weight down ahead of time.

3.) Don't give up on your Kegel exercises.  Strong pelvic muscles will help you heal.

4.) If you have a tendency to get sick from anaesthesia, be SURE to tell your surgeon!  They may recommend you get a prescription for scopolamine (seasick patch).  You will put this patch on behind your ear the day before the surgery.  It worked like a charm!  When I came out of anaesthesia, I was spinning like a top, but I didn't have any nausea.Vomiting is something you DON'T want to do with this type of incision.

5.) I learned yoga stretches and did them faithfully for weeks ahead of surgery.  I'm convinced they helped with my recovery.

6.) Before your surgery, prepare your bedroom at home.  Get a small dorm-sized fridge and have foods like yogurt and other easy-to-digest things.  You'll need to have something in your stomach when you take your meds.  Keep these things within easy reach because you won't be able to climb stairs without assistance for nearly a week afterwards.

7.) If you have no one at home with you, be SURE to arrange for a nurse to stay with you for the first  couple of days home!!!   

I hope this helps someone!  I'm SO glad I did this surgery....I never realized how sick I was before I had it done!  And my back pain has been cut by at least 75%!  So that was a big plus.

Nancy

July 14, 2008, 1:51 pm CDT

Mother had it

Quote From: nonick

I have heard of cases of Morgellons where the physicians actually had their patients sent to psychologists for psychological evaluation, and worse!  Those doctors should read up on the condition, instead of relegating the sufferers to medical abuse.

As a nurse/investigator I can tell you that it definitely exists.

Tell those doctor that, if Morgellons were all in your head that the U.S. Centers for Disease Control would not have a wealth of information about the condition on their website;

Although it is a dermatological condition of unknown cause, they have confirmed cases of the condition.

Centers for Disease Control info about Morgellons;

http://www.cdc.gov/unexplaineddermopathy/general_info.html

Investigation into cause of Morgellons.

http://www.cdc.gov/unexplaineddermopathy/investigation.html

My mother was in her 70s when she broke out with these very same spots.  They were all over her body and even her face.  Her doctor sent her to a dermatologist.  This doctor took samples and ran tests to check for cancer.  He really thought it was a type of skin cancer.

The results came back and it was not cancer.  He shook his head and said he had no idea what it was or how to treat it. 

So, since it was not cancer, she just lived with it.  Some people were kinda concerned about touching her, but she just told them she was okay.

In her 80s the spots just slowly started to go away.  She was never in any pain, the spots were just there.

July 14, 2008, 1:59 pm CDT

Fallen Uterus

I am 45 years old. For about  5 years I had the same problem with my uterus. Mine would go back in sometimes when I sat it did not stay out all of the time. I was so embarrassed to say anything and until I did I had no clue what it was 'falling' out of me. Well, I finally got up the nerve when I got so self conscious about it. I so wanted to have a female Dr look at me and do the surgery but the one I wanted would not be available for months. So I ended up with a very good male Dr who made me feel very comfortable with the exam. I think that was the most embarrassing part of it all! So I went in for the surgery. He made sure that I did not want any children first. And he recommend the non surgical methods too but I was so ready to have it taken care of permanently. I can relate to what this lady went through. So I had just my uterus removed and my ovaries are still there. Because I was so young he said he did not want me going through menopause just yet. So I have my ovaries. My point is it is the best choice I made as I feel so much better about myself. Please consider the advice Dr Phil gave and have the surgery already!! The only side effect I had was only because I get so ill from the anesthesia and I had to stay in the hospital an extra day. I was off work for 3 weeks and went back feeling fine! And I now feel so much better about myself.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last