Message Boards

Topic : 07/14 What's Up, Doc? Part Two

Number of Replies: 121
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 10, 2008, 12:10:53 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil’s team of medical experts are back to answer any and every medical question! These four physicians with four different medical specialties are armed with an endless warehouse of health information. First up, the medical dream team weighs in on controversial headlines from uterus transplants to water intoxication. Next, Judith says she suffers from Morgellons, a mysterious disease that causes painful lesions on the skin. Judith is frustrated because she’s had Morgellons for 10 years but says doctors tell her it’s all in her head. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Dorine says her life has been unbearable ever since her uterus dropped out two years ago. She says she can’t exercise, go to the beach or even have sex because of her condition. Is surgery the only answer? And, Samantha went in for simple breast implants but says she became a plastic surgery nightmare. In the past three years, she’s had four implants and 16 surgeries to correct what is now a deformed right breast. What can Samantha do to move forward with her life? Plus, Dr. Phil answers viewers’ most embarrassing questions. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 14, 2008, 3:21 pm CDT

Morgellons Disease

I would just like to say that my prayers are with everyone who thinks they have this disease.  I had it  or something I think was it , for 6 years and thought I was losing my mind.   I picked at those places and pulled things out of them all of the time. The thing is that they really hurt until you get the fibers or whatever they are, out.  I first tried showing the fibers to my husband, who thought I was a total nut case.  I then took samples with me to my first dermatologist appointment.  He then dismissed them as just dead skin and refused to look at them under any type of magnification.  I went to my family doctor multiple times and he referred me to an infectious disease doctor.(actually I went to 2 different ones.)   Still nothing. I had gained 50 pounds and worried all the time.  The weight gain was bad, but on top of that I felt like I was swelling or retaining fluid for no apparent reason.  It is all just very strange.  I tried several prescriptions, parasitic treatments etc. and nothing seemed to help.  My family doctor finally asked if I was stressed......well, duh!!!  So he asked if I was interested in something for anxiety. At that point  after several years of the horrible sores, I said yes.   I couldn't hardly take anymore and to top it off, my children were starting to show symptoms of these sores also.   That's when I about lost it.  It was bad enough for me to have these, but now my children.   That was all I could take.....I got so tired of hearing it was all in my head..IF its in my head and it is stress induced, then why do my children have it too?   Well, All I could do was take my Zoloft and PRAY!!!   

I quit picking which seemed to make a huge difference.  Now for some reason, maybe just because of the LORD I don't have those sores anymore.  I have places on my face which looks like a pigmentation disease or large white freckle patches that won't go away  I don't know if they will ever go away or if they can be removed, but I know that they become much worse when I get some sun.  But hey that's okay.  I will take that over those sore any day!!!  As far as my children go....my oldest daughter (18) has a few sores on her body from time to time and she picks them horribly. I am hoping that they too will just go away.  The other two children are fine.  Like I said, I don't understand the disease, but it is not a myth or just  a figment of someones imagination!  It is terrible and you hate to look at yourself in the mirror.  It causes so many problems.  People, even family members think your starting to lose it.  It is an awful feeling when those closest to you, whom you love and trust, don't believe you.  It's heartbreaking!   Just hang in there. Say your prayers!!

Like I said, I am praying for all that have this, and I wish you the best.

July 14, 2008, 3:25 pm CDT

Response to Medical "Relegation" & Medical Abuse

Quote From: nonick

I have heard of cases of Morgellons where the physicians actually had their patients sent to psychologists for psychological evaluation, and worse!  Those doctors should read up on the condition, instead of relegating the sufferers to medical abuse.

As a nurse/investigator I can tell you that it definitely exists.

Tell those doctor that, if Morgellons were all in your head that the U.S. Centers for Disease Control would not have a wealth of information about the condition on their website;

Although it is a dermatological condition of unknown cause, they have confirmed cases of the condition.

Centers for Disease Control info about Morgellons;

http://www.cdc.gov/unexplaineddermopathy/general_info.html

Investigation into cause of Morgellons.

http://www.cdc.gov/unexplaineddermopathy/investigation.html

I agree that doctors and other medical professionals, and medical-related bureaucracies can and must stop relegating (constantly referring patients/"sufferers" as one of many means of turning them away).  It can cause further frustration, pain, and other types of suffering as well as prolong the original medical issue for many patients/"sufferers". 

July 14, 2008, 3:25 pm CDT

This is reality for a lot of people!

Quote From: olympia99

dr. phil, after listening to your lead in -- the part about a woman having these disgusting lesions that result in a fiber like growth from the lesions, I found the sugject so disgusting, that there was no way I could watch the rest of the show and immediately tuned out.....  the graphics were absolutely disgusting......   maybe the rest of the show had some interest and merit, but the lead in certainly kept me away, and I am a regular dr. phil listener
So sorry this grossed you out , but this is what's happening to many people and it is about time that it is coming out.  It needs to studied and brought to everyone's attention.  These places are terrible and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.  I dealt with them for about 6-7 years. They are soooo painful.  Maybe you should have stayed tuned in and you could have learned something. You could have just listened and learned without watching.

July 14, 2008, 3:47 pm CDT

Finally An Info. Show

Thankyou for an interesting hour long show.

We (Hubby) and me do not care for the shows where he/she said they did. Disfuntioning families.

Isn't everyones??to a degree.

More good shows to come???

Lots of intelligent interesting persons.

July 14, 2008, 3:49 pm CDT

You ought to look at it in the mirror daily

Quote From: lepotts

So sorry this grossed you out , but this is what's happening to many people and it is about time that it is coming out.  It needs to studied and brought to everyone's attention.  These places are terrible and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.  I dealt with them for about 6-7 years. They are soooo painful.  Maybe you should have stayed tuned in and you could have learned something. You could have just listened and learned without watching.
 I am Judith - the one on the show - and I lived this nightmare for 12 years.  No doctors helped, no government helped and now FINALLY Dr. Phil is trying to get some attention to this horrid disease.  Too bad it offended you - I get offended when I have to look in the mirror too.  But at least I am trying to help all those who suffer. 

July 14, 2008, 3:52 pm CDT

Doctors Ignore patients complaints

Quote From: nonick

I have heard of cases of Morgellons where the physicians actually had their patients sent to psychologists for psychological evaluation, and worse!  Those doctors should read up on the condition, instead of relegating the sufferers to medical abuse.

As a nurse/investigator I can tell you that it definitely exists.

Tell those doctor that, if Morgellons were all in your head that the U.S. Centers for Disease Control would not have a wealth of information about the condition on their website;

Although it is a dermatological condition of unknown cause, they have confirmed cases of the condition.

Centers for Disease Control info about Morgellons;

http://www.cdc.gov/unexplaineddermopathy/general_info.html

Investigation into cause of Morgellons.

http://www.cdc.gov/unexplaineddermopathy/investigation.html

Yes, Judith.  I have the same angry pimple on my face, shown on your face,  which feels like there is a sliver of glass in there. I sat up straight and cliked on the recorder when you said that.  My dermatologist has said for three years "OH, that is nothing" when I ask to have it removed.  It hurts like the dickens when I wash my face or apply face cream. SO, I go to the Internet, to Mayo Clinic or Cleveland or the site of any reputable medical source to get answers. Three years is long enough to have a firey red pimple on one's face and to be made to feel like an idiot by your doctor for looking on the 'net for an answer he will not pay attention to.

July 14, 2008, 3:58 pm CDT

I feel your pain

Quote From: lildarln

I dont understand why they dont have a show about how Doctors can change a persons life forever due to medical neglience and errors.

I wrote Dr. Phil about my story.  I feel if he had read  my story,  he would have found it shocking  enough to be talked about on the show.  When people ask me what happened, and I tell them, they are shocked and speechless.

I know what you mean.  I had a breast reduction 4 years ago and due to the negligence of the Dr. I ended up looking like I had been attacked with a chain saw.  I was left with a double mastectomy and severe nerve damage as well as severed muscles in the chest and under arm area.  I tried contacting Dr. Phil about this before I took the Dr. to court and got no response.  After my surgery and before taking the Dr. to court all I wanted was to stop this Dr. from doing this to anyone else (he has had 7 plus injured patients).  The medical board is aware of all these cases including mine and the fact that I won the law suit and got a jury verdict, and they have done NOTHING.

My newest frustration is that in order to get the money awarded to me my lawyer told me that I had to sign a paper for the other defense and that it was OK and not to worry.  I have since found out that this paper prevents me from saying anything in a public forum about what was done to me (I am not allowed to give his name).  Plus my worst fear of him harming someone else has come true.  A woman found a blurb on-line about my case in court records and contacted me.  He had performed her surgery just before my trial and had done a tummy tuck.  She almost died, her incision came open and to make a long story short, she lost most of the tissue from just below the breast to the pubic area.

People like him need to be stopped.

Sorry if I have rambled, but as you can imagine this is a hot topic for me.

July 14, 2008, 4:10 pm CDT

Dr. Masterson is very irresponsible

As a kidney transplant recipient, I find the idea of a uterus transplant being as necessary as a heart or kidney transplant absurd!  Dr. Masterson didn't tell the whole story, either! With ANY transplant (except those between identical twins) one must take powerful and sometimes dangerous drugs to keep the transplant from rejecting...these drugs have caused my body to age prematurely. I had to have bi-lateral knee replacements and cataract removal-all befiore the age of 50 because these drugs have eaten away at my bones and caused other side effects..and the drugs I take are not the most powerful ones they use! These drugs MUST be taken for your entire life if you want to keep the transplant-if not, your body will reject the organ.

I don't even want to tell you how bad organ rejection can be and I've been through it...think of when you have a splinter in your finger and pus begins to form as it gets infected and sore and finally the splinter is pushed out. Now imagine that happening inside your body where there is no place for the "foreign body" (in this case, the transplanted organ) to push itself out ! It is extremely painful and I ran a temperature of 106 degrees during my episode of rejection.

Think about all the diseases you can get when your immune system is not normal-and it will never be again if you have a transplant....the flu or a bad cold could put you in the hospital for a long time or even kill you. You can develop all sorts of cancers. The drugs can also cause birth defects in a growing fetus. Of course, Dr. Masterson would probably tell you you can always abort if the child isn't "normal".

Transplants to save lives are necessary-especially now as we learn that kidney disease is becoming an epidemic. Twice as many people die from kidney disease as do from breast cancer! Heart and lung transplants are not experimental anymore, either and have saved millions, but as recipients, we have to be on top of every aspect of our lives to keep our transplants and the rest of our body healthy.

If you have to have a baby growing inside of you to be a "real" mother, I don't think your priorities are in the right order. There are millions of kids waiting to be adopted into loving homes.  Why put your good health and possibly your life and that of your unborn baby's in serious jeopardy if it is not a life or death reason to have a transplant?

I am very grateful for my transplant because it has freed me from dialysis and I have had a long life with it.- the other health problems notwithstanding.  The average "life" of a kidney transplant is 9 yrs and I have had mine for over 30. But if I would not have had to have a transplant to live, I would never have chosen it just because it sounded like a good idea. If you do not NEED a transplant, please do not put yourself through it!  And no, I have never had children because I have never been healthy enough to have them.

Just because we CAN do something, doesn't always mean we should.

Pam

July 14, 2008, 4:13 pm CDT

Morgellons

Here is an excerpt of an article called: "My God! What Have We Done?"  Please contact me for information about ordering the nano silver.

Now think a moment about what we are doing to ourselves on this planet. Have you heard of the nightmare condition called Morgellon's Disease (http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/index.php?p=599)?   
Victims experience unbearable sensations - all the time, day and night - of insects crawling under their skin, burning and itching so terrible that people have committed suicide to end the torture.     To make matters worse, much, much worse, these unfortunate people, who range in age from babies to the elderly, have open lesions on their skin that produces sharp, thin red, black, blue and white fibers and black sand-like grains. The fibers appear to move as if alive and, incredibly, when placed in a Petri dish after removal, continue to move and grow!   The origin of this horror has been unclear since it was first named in 2001 by the mother of a 3 year old baby whose symptoms she described and documented on a website. Since that time, thousands of people have been identified with this condition for which the only successful cure has been that most potent (and safe) of all antibiotics, nano silver. But the nature of the condition, and its cause, have remained a mystery until now.

July 14, 2008, 4:16 pm CDT

For Samantha

Quote From: pisgahlady

I hope Samamtha reads this, because I totally relate to her breast implant nightmare.  I survived the implant fiasco of the 90's, and I cringe each and every time I hear of another woman fall through the cracks after their problems arise.

Samantha, don't trust what I say as a simple message board contributor.  HOWEVER, for the sake of your health and mental peace, as well as comfort, PLEASE DO THIS:

Google and research the credentials of Dr. Lu-Jean Feng of Cleveland, OH.  In 1993, when Dr. Feng bailed me out of the biggest mess of my life, she was the head of Case Western plastic surgery.  She was on staff at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in Cleveland, which no longer exist (there is one in NY).  When the hospital in Cleveland closed, she opened her own practice to not have to go to NY.

In 1990 in a large, cosmatolitian town in SC, I had a subcutaneous mastectomy and reconstruction with polyurethane implants (one month before the FDA took them off the market).  My highly qualified board certifed head of plastic surgery in our town put in implants larger than I had ask for.  He denied that my capsule contractures were problems, denied that I was having problems similar to MS as a result as getting the implants.  He had failed to factor in prior to surgery that I have mild scoliosis, and just basically put me through his cookie cutter implant regime.  I then went to a big guns doctor at Duke but got no help.  I discovered that the reason I got no help was that the doctor was one of the inventors of the implant that was giving me a fit. 

Around this time, an organization called The Command Trust Network began to do it's wonderful work with a Sen. Ted Weiss from NY (now deceased), and they were bringing great attention to the fact that MOST women that have implants problems, but basically, the AMA describes the complications as being within normal.  (Just wrap your brain around that!!!!)

So, I called the Command Trust Network and spoke to Sybill Nyden Goldrich's assistant.  I ask them this question:  "Where in the entire United States of America is a highly qualified doctor that can get me out of this breast implant mess and give back my life on a silver platter?"  It's the single most meaningful and important phone call I have ever made.  They gave me the name of Dr. Lu-Jean Feng in Cleveland.

I made contact with Dr. Feng by sending her copies of my medical records.  She had a 9 mos. waiting list of breast implant mishaps needing resolution, and when she saw a picture of my zerograms (a special type of mammogram), she bumped me up to only have to wait 6 weeks to get surgery.  She thought the surgery would only take 2 hrs. but was careful to tell my husband that with the type of implant I had, there was no telling what she'd run into.  It took 6 hrs. to remove my implants.  Many of my lymphnodes were fused with polyurethaned.  The right implant was butting into my armpit.   Dr. Feng encouraged me to take a long time to recover from this and said to try to live with the concave holes in my chest, but that if I could not, she could help me further.   I waiting past the recommended healing time, and  I could not turn over in bed from my back to my front because my center of gravity was different.  My sex life was in the pits.  I could not function well on my job from having to wear hot breast forms in the SC heat.  I was losing sales income which was providing the college education for my son.  So, I recontacted Dr. Feng, and she scheduled me for a 14.5 hr. microvascular surgery where took part of my abdominal flesh along with a vein and piece of artery and resculped for me.....perfectly comfortable breast, the same size that God gave me, that fit my torso, and look TOTALLY REAL.  My husband and family could not believe the miracle that she worked in my life.  The comfort level is like what God gave me.

So, my advice is, listen to the advice that Dr. Phil has provided from a good doctor, then do your own research on Dr. Feng.  Dr. Feng is not your typical 90210 doctor, or your chief of plastic surgery.  She is a surgeon with a passion and a gift.  I believe she was the youngest woman doctor to graduate from Yale medical school.  She'll ask questions that no other doctor thinks to ask.  This is your lucky day to be given her name.

I did not leave my personal information on this site.  However, I give Dr. Phil my permission to give you my personal info, and you can call me.  Also, I would like to offer you round trip frequent flier tickets to Cleveland to see Dr. Feng, and can possibily provide these if you decided to have her do surgery.  My husband is an engineer that travels a good bit and always has extra tickets.  I would love to see you get the meaningful help you deserve.  Women in America deserve better.  This would be a whole lot more serious problem is it were happening to the testicales of male doctors.

Two books for you to read:

THE SILICONE BREAST IMPLANT CONTROVERSY by Vasey & Feildstein

and

INFORMED CONSENT by JOHN BYRNE

Today, I am a fully functioning 62 year old grandmother of two sets of twin toddlers.  I moved to my current town in 2006 to help my daughter with her premature twin boys that came home on breathing monitors with high rish for SIDS.

I will keep you in my heart and on my mind, and I hope you get help from Feng in Cleveland.  She is not my relative, nor do I get any kick back.  My interest is purely humanitarian because I HAVE BEEN THERE!

God bless you.

Samantha, I feel your pain believe me.  I have been were you are for the last 4 years.  I had a breast reduction that went very wrong.  I have been told that I have a double mastectomy now.  The expert I had for my legal case said I had a -A cup size on one side and a -AA cup on the other.  I also have severe nerve damage as well as partially severed muscles in the chest and underarm area.

If you looked up this Dr. on the state medical board website, it looks like he is a plastic surgeon in good standing and has been for a long time.  It also makes it look like he has no problems.  Truth of the matter is that at the time of my surgery he had already lost his privileges at one of our local hospitals and he had already harmed 7+ patients.  None of this information was available for my knowledge until long after my surgery.  This man is still practicing and continuing to harm people.

I did take this doctor to court and I did win, but even that is not on his medical record, because in the state it happened in it is the responsibility of the defense lawyer to report it to the medical board.  Which makes no sense to me.  I mean get real like a doctor is going to tell on himself to the medical board.  When I took him to court all I wanted was to get my story heard, hold him accountable, and keep him from harming someone else.  Even though I won, I did not totally succeed, since he is still out there practicing and since I did not get this story heard by enough people.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last