Message Boards

Topic : 08/25 Know-it-All Sisters

Number of Replies: 120
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, August 21, 2008, 04:03:35 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you ever wonder how your children grow up to be so different despite being brought up in the same house? Rob and Jenna are siblings who had a close relationship growing up. Now that Jenna is immersed in college life, and Rob works at the Dairy Queen, they barely speak. Jenna says her brother needs to grow up, and Rob feels judged by his sister. Their mom joins them and asks Dr. Phil how to motivate Rob to get his feet moving and his butt in gear! And, twins Mandy and Jennifer just can't seem to get along. Mandy says ever since she walked down the aisle, Jen has been jealous of her. Jen says her sister is way too judgmental. Can Dr. Phil help these twins in turmoil repair their bond? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 25, 2008, 4:56 am CDT

know it all sister

Hi Dr.Phil

(know it all sisters) I know exactly what they are going through I have two sisters myself and I am the baby out of six kids  can't wait to see what happens on today show

see you at 4:00 pm

H wilson

August 25, 2008, 7:13 am CDT

Twin Sisters

Quote From: fietkau2

Hi Dr.Phil

(know it all sisters) I know exactly what they are going through I have two sisters myself and I am the baby out of six kids  can't wait to see what happens on today show

see you at 4:00 pm

H wilson

Dr. Phil, I lost my identical twin sister Terry,  February 10, 2006 to cancer, we were very close, even though we had difference in opinions, and it took her 18 months going through the cancer for me to really wake up to how much I needed her, appreciated her, even though  did, but you never think death will take your other half, and you don't think about it, until the day you are standing in the hospital room, and the doctor gives you the dreaded news your twin has inoperable cancer. My world came crashing down, and my life was forever changed, and  it has never been the same since. I miss her so much, and I have sad days and happy days, but my life was changed forever when I lost my identical twin. I look in the mirror everyday and see her. I miss her so much, and all these twins fighting, hurting one another makes me nausicated to my stomach. I want to tell all the twins out there to cherish all the moments they have with each other, and love one another. I feel like there is a gapping hole in my side, and in my life that won't heal, thank God , I have him and my faith to help me know, one day I will see her again, and she won't be sick, Thanks for reading my email, Jerry Faison

August 25, 2008, 7:20 am CDT

New Shows! Yaaaaay!

I have so many "two cents worth" saved up, I could buy Dr Phil a DQ Billy-bar!

What bothers me most about today's young man? He tells his mother, "I need $20.00." When did people quit asking for things and start telling other people what they need. My son knows that if he wants something from me he had better word it as a request. As in, "Mom, could I please borrow twenty dollars?"

Also. When did cell phones become a necessity? This young man needs to be making car payments so he can drive to school and to a better job. Constant contact with his peeps is not what he needs at all.

August 25, 2008, 7:41 am CDT

Boy do I know

I have one of these also!!!! She has to have her nose in EVERYONES life!!! Never really liked my Husband when i was married, now that im divorced, she is best friends with my X and his wife!!!! and did the same with my brothers X!!! But dont really talk to either one of us.... She can come to the town I live in, not come and see me or my kids, but go see my X and his wife and there child! Shes a piece of work!!! knows it all!!! wish i could watch the show...never get to see it anymore with my job, and no cable...I miss you!!!!!

August 25, 2008, 8:27 am CDT

The Obsession With Success

There's an old Icelandic saying that "Seldom is one the cause when two argue" and it applies here as well as in a lot of other cases. Yes the young man might not be taking care of his own life as much as he should but why should he chase the level of success that others desire?

My personal reply to "I need 20$" would be "go earn them then", but at the same time, if he is happy working a low income job then who the heck are we to say that he "aught to" be making payments on a car so he can go to school and get a better job.
I am a low income, part time worker in a spiritual store myself, and I have no desire to become a doctor or a lawyer or anything else requiring a university degree either, and it hurts me deeply when my own family insinuates that I am not good enough through critizising my choice not to pursue the highest level of education available. After all, the world still needs ditch diggers!

August 25, 2008, 8:42 am CDT

know it all sisters

dear dr. phil i have watched your show today and i am a little up set about how these sisters are acting toward one another, see i have a sister also and she has down syndrome, and she means more to me than life, unfortunately we are the only two i dont have any other syblings, i guess what i am trying to say is that people that have syblings needs to realize that they need to cherish one another and accept who they are they dont have to like what the other does but in the end when their parents are gone they only have one another no one is perfect or better then the other, my sister and i have lost our father 8 yrs ago we only have mom left and it gets harder everyday knowing that my sister isnt in the best of health either and i just dont know what i would do with out her so please everyone that has a sister or brother or more needs to remember that we dont live forever and needs to cherish every day and moment with each other

thanks for listening

August 25, 2008, 9:31 am CDT

That's not the point

Quote From: freetha

There's an old Icelandic saying that "Seldom is one the cause when two argue" and it applies here as well as in a lot of other cases. Yes the young man might not be taking care of his own life as much as he should but why should he chase the level of success that others desire?

My personal reply to "I need 20$" would be "go earn them then", but at the same time, if he is happy working a low income job then who the heck are we to say that he "aught to" be making payments on a car so he can go to school and get a better job.
I am a low income, part time worker in a spiritual store myself, and I have no desire to become a doctor or a lawyer or anything else requiring a university degree either, and it hurts me deeply when my own family insinuates that I am not good enough through critizising my choice not to pursue the highest level of education available. After all, the world still needs ditch diggers!
I  think you are missing the point regarding the young man working part timein the Dairy Queen.  No one is saying that he has to achieve what his sister has (in fact their mother thinks the sister should relax a bit).  The problem is not that he has a part time job.  The problem is that he has a dead-end job that doesn't make him happy, cannot provide him any level of independence, and he has no plans to pursue any kind of path at all.  He's drifting aimlessly and he's doing it at the expense of his parents.    If he was pursuing an academic goal I don't think his parents would mind continuing to support him.  If he was self-supporting in a low wage job that made him happy and independent I don't think anyone in his family would care.    You don't have to be a doctor or a lawyer to be successful, but you do have to be as independent as you are able to be and that is where he is failing.  Clearly the young man has intelligence and ability.  All his family wants him to do is make a move in SOME direction and stop being a do-nothing lump.

August 25, 2008, 9:43 am CDT

know it all sisters

Quote From: jerfrgd

Dr. Phil, I lost my identical twin sister Terry,  February 10, 2006 to cancer, we were very close, even though we had difference in opinions, and it took her 18 months going through the cancer for me to really wake up to how much I needed her, appreciated her, even though  did, but you never think death will take your other half, and you don't think about it, until the day you are standing in the hospital room, and the doctor gives you the dreaded news your twin has inoperable cancer. My world came crashing down, and my life was forever changed, and  it has never been the same since. I miss her so much, and I have sad days and happy days, but my life was changed forever when I lost my identical twin. I look in the mirror everyday and see her. I miss her so much, and all these twins fighting, hurting one another makes me nausicated to my stomach. I want to tell all the twins out there to cherish all the moments they have with each other, and love one another. I feel like there is a gapping hole in my side, and in my life that won't heal, thank God , I have him and my faith to help me know, one day I will see her again, and she won't be sick, Thanks for reading my email, Jerry Faison

so sorry to hear about your loss  I have lost a brother to cancer in 2006 thanks for letting me read your email

Hannelore Wilson

August 25, 2008, 9:46 am CDT

NOT SO BAD

YOU KNOW, TO ME THIS IS MINOR...... I AM 3RD OF FOUR CHILDREN THE YOUNGEST BEING MY BROTHER AND TWO OLDER SISTERS BUT THE SISTER BEFORE ME ONLY ELEVEN MONTHS OLDER . SHE AND I LOOK PRETTY IDENTICAL, EVERY ONE HAS ALWAYS THOUGHT WE WERE TWINS.

WELL WHERE DO I BEGIN...........SHE RUINED MY FIRST MARRIAGE BY SLEEPING W/MY HUSBAND, NOT COUNTING BOYFRIENDS PRYOR TO THAT.SHE HAS SLANDERED MY NAME NUMEROUS TIMES, HITTING FRONT PAGE OF OUR LOCAL NEWS PAPERS (PROSTITUTION AND NOT TO MENTION MANY MORE) CHARGES SHE WAS ARRESTED FOR BUT USED MY NAME AND ADDRESS AND BEING THAT WE LOOK SO MUCH ALIKE EVERY ONE ALWAYS THINK IT'S ME. I HAVE A CHARGE RECORD AS LONG AS I'M TALL AND HAVEN'T COMMITTED THE FIRST CRIME YET.   ONCE I WAS SURROUNDE BY FIVE OFFICER WANTING TOI ARREST ME ON 1ST DEGREE MURDER CHARGES BECAUSE OF THIS SISTER WHO IS A CRACK HEAD STREET WALKER. MY BROTHER IS IN PRISON MY OTHER SISTER IS ON HER WAY. (SHE'S JUST SICHO) .  MYSELF, I'M NOT PERFECT BY NO MEANS BUT I DO VERY WELL WITH MY LIFE  HUSBAND AND CHILDREN, I WORK, GO TO SCHOOL , ATTEND CHURCH (VERY INVOLVED) BUT, NOT A HOLY ROLY., I'M A HOMEMAKER I LOVE BEING HAPPY.  OUTSIDE THE TOURTURE I GET FROM FAMILY, THINGS ARE GREAT. I GUESS WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY IS JUST LIKE WITH CHILDREN, PICK YOUR BATTLES BECAUSE IT COULD BE THAT YOUR SO CALL EVIL TWIN COULD POSSIBLY DO YOU SEROUSLY WRONG. WHAT YOU GIRLS ARE FIGHTING ABOUT IS VERY ADOLESENT. I STILL HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH MY SIS AFTER ALL THAT SHE HAS DONE AND EXPECT MORE IN THE FUTURE BECAUSE SHE'S STILL ON THE STREET AND HAS BEEN FOR 16 YRS. WHEN I SEE HER I NEVER SPEAK OF IT BECAUSE I LOVE HER AND WANT TO PUT A POSITIVE IMPACT ON HER, NOT BEAT HER DOWN TO DO MORE TO ME OR HERSELF.

YOURS TRULY,

GET OVER IT!!

August 25, 2008, 10:27 am CDT

Know It All Sisters

I too have a sister whose favorite line is "How come you're so different and we were raised the same?"

Once I explained to her how we weren't raised the same, although in the same house with the same parents, she realized I was right!  That was a first for me being the youngest in a family of four.  My sister is 5 years older than me.

I was born in 1952 and my mother stayed at home and looked after us until my father died when I was 13.  He had been very ill for 7 years or from the time I was 6.  My sister grew up in a home with a mother and father, both parents were actively involved in her upbringing, education, life lessons and discipline.  My sis was 18 when my dad died.

I was brought up with a father who was too ill (he died of emphysema) to be involved, a mother who was looking after a husband who was dying and went back to work full time the year I turned 13.

From the time I was 13, I had basically no parental supervision....my mother was either gone to work when I woke up or at work when I came home from school.  I was on my own to get my own meals and really do whatever I wanted.  My sister and brothers were already working and as older siblings will do, really paid no attention to me at all.  All of them had moved out of the house by time I was 15.

So, we really didn't have the same parents or upbringing. 

My sis and I have a great relationship now but for many years it was difficult (for me) being criticized for my decisions and actions. 

By the way, I guess my mother was influential enough as I just recently retired from 38 years with the same company and had many sucesses in my career....not so much with the husbands.

Before you beat yourself up emotionally (which I did for many years) or sever your relationship with your sister, think about how you were both raised and it might be helpful to point out the differences.  Or you can just ignore the b**ch!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last