Message Boards

Topic : 08/27 The Bishop is Back!

Number of Replies: 44
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, August 21, 2008, 04:06:33 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Are you stuck in a rut? Learn how to get out of it now before it's too late! Dr. Phil welcomes Bishop T.D. Jakes back to the show. He's a renowned pastor and motivational speaker, and his book, Reposition Yourself, inspires people to live life without limits! First up is Theresa, who admits she’s been lying to her husband, Andy, about her spending habits for the past four years. She says their debt is about $13,000, but Andy says it’s a lot more than that. He calls his wife a liar and a thief, and he’s recently moved out. Can their marriage be saved or is it too late? See what Bishop Jakes thinks. Then, Kelly says all the men she dates end up cheating on her, and she doesn’t know how she can ever trust a man again. What is she doing wrong? And, Yvonne worries about her 23-year-old daughter, Amanda, because she says she makes poor choices in boyfriends. After a look at her dating history, does she have a right to be concerned, or should she butt out of her daughter’s life? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 31, 2008, 6:21 pm CDT

Andy & Theresa

Theresa, run---do not walk to www.debtorsanonymous.org  !!!

Whether or not Andy stays with Theresa, she really, really needs to get counseling, and she also needs desperately to attend Debtor's Anonymous meetings.

I was in her shoes---exactly. I was hiding bills and phone calls like an alcoholic hides bottles. I would go out and spend money on things I didn't even need, just to have the "high" of buying it. Then I would hide the purchases. I would buy things just to be "social" with my friends. The first time my husband found out, I ended up in counseling with someone who treated me for depression. She told me at that time that I had a shopping addiction, but I didn't really "hear" her, nor did she tell me about Debtor's Anonymous. My depression began to get better, and I thought I could handle credit cards safely again. Unfortunately, I began my out-of-control spending once again. This time, I started going to Debtor's Anonymous, in addition to more personal counseling and also marriage counseling, and continue to do so to this day.  I discovered some of the "triggers" that would make me spend out of control---and my husband learned about those triggers, also. I don't know if he will ever trust me again, but we are communicating better than we ever have and I feel closer to him now than I ever have.

I do realize that there is a "meeting for everything" these days, but Debtor's Anonymous has made a huge difference in my life. It's easy for those who don't spend compulsively to look down their noses and say "just stop spending" (or "just stop drinking alcohol", "just stop eating so much", "just stop gambling", "just stop smoking", etc)..... But, for me, Debtor's Anonymous gave me real tools and support to help me in my journey toward recovery and normality.

I would never use it as an "excuse"---especially to continue to spend or to expect forgiveness from people. It's just a great place to go for support and a great tool to use to begin to get your life back together.

Dr. Phil, I wish you had said something about this wonderful program, especially with all the overspending going on in this country.

September 2, 2008, 10:04 am CDT

Too many secrets

It takes two to make a marriage work and it takes two to make one fall apart.  Although this couple is now divorced, it is worth mentioning that Andy had his own vices, too.  He was unfaithful and never told her about it.

September 3, 2008, 7:45 am CDT

I hope I can help u

Quote From: briangdavies

I am confused as to  T.D. Jakes claim to being a BISHOP in the true sense of the terminology of a BISHOP.  Just because one is a leader of a specific religious sect, doesn't mean that he is entitled to the use of the title BISHOP.  I watch you almost daily but, get anxious when you go overboard with your introduction of T.D JAKES.  It is too over the top!  A BISHOP does not act in such an over-the-top way!  Obviously, it's a Southern way of life. I have watched you from the beginning, but will no longer  do so whenever T.D. Jakes is on, and only because he is not a BISHOP in the TRUE sense of the term.  It has nothing to do with the great work he does, nor yours.

Keep the FAITH.

Brian Gwynne Davies
Hello  Brian ,  I  read  your  post  and  agree  with  u  about  the  fact  that  u  are  confused .
Tittles  can  some  times  be  confusing .  However  I  do  beg  to  differ  with  u  about  T.D. Jakes  being  entitled   to  use  .  Not  only  is  he  very  well  entitled  to  use  ,  he  is  appointed  and  entrusted , which  means  that  he   is  a  ordained  , which  in  simple  terms  means  ...(ordered)   ,and  that  is  not  just  specifically...  by  the  people  ...but  as  well  by  the  creator .  Im  certian  u  have  had  the  oppurtunity  to  read  what  some  of  our  most  ancient  of  founding  Fathers  had  to  state  , as  they  penned  the  constitution .   A  Bishop  means  that  he  is  a  person  entrusted    with  a  position  of  authority !  and  on  the  same  note  Bishop  T.D.  ,  has  not  self  appointed  himself  that  . I  know  words  are  one  of  my  hang  ups  also  I  get  confused  with  religious  terminology  ,however  I  have  known  of  some  who  do   (self  appoint)  themself  ,and  Im  aware  of  the  hidden  and  unseen  dangers  when  a  member  of  clergy  does  that  !!!  a  perfect  example  would  rather  be  like  if  a  Hal Lindsey  or  a Jack  kinsella  decided  to  use  disambiguation  ,and   in  decideing  to  disambiguate  and  appoint  them  self  a  defined  position  and  TITLE  IT!!   for  instance  as  watchmen  on  the  wall  !!  well  to  many  people  they  simply  would  ask   exactlly  what  is  that  ?   That  is  a  person  who  believes  they  are  divinely  appointed  to  a  specific  area  of  service  among  clergy  ,  nothing  more   ,  however  the   ambiguation  begs  the  more  important  question  which  is  did  the  people  appoint  them ?  did  they  appoint  them  self  or  did  God ?   and  so  u  see   the  water  can  get  muddy  quickly  unless  correct  information  is  available  so  understanding  a  Title  can  become  something  in  truth  yes  people  do  and  should  become  more  well  informed  . 
However  I  assure  u  that  T.D.Jakes   is  in  factual  truth  a  very  appointed  and  entitled  actual  real  Bishop .
 And  on  the  same  token  I  would  assure  you  that  others  who  have  appointed   them  self   as   I  pointed  out  some  members  of  clergy  have  done  just  that  ,  that  u  should  seek  to  become  more  well  informed  of  what  it  is  that  they  specifically  do  , so  to  avoid  either  buying  into  a  not  so  tightly  wrapped  package  of  ....uuhm   redefineing !   I  kind  of  made  that  mistake  when  I  become  introduced  to  the  internet  , and  in  the  end  had  to  walk  away  somewhat  dissappointed  in  myself  as  well  as  disappointed  that  no  one  really  informed  me  correctly  ,and   missing  information  simply  meant  that  I  was  misinformed  ,  and  I  did  in  fact  feel  I  got   took  , case  being  people  do  give  them  self  titles  sometimes  and  it  does  not  nesesarily  mean  that  they  always  do  a  good  job  upholding  their  own  tittle .
perfect  example  would  be  if  u  were  interested  in  a  specific  area  of  religious  study  like  Bible  phrophecy  and  u  read  a  advertisement  that  sold  to  u  a  offer  which  means  u  have  to  pay  something  for  it , and  u  bought  a  service  from  a  provider  and  joined  a  group  and  become  a  paying  member  of  that  group  ,  only  to  discover  that  in  the  end  u  were  so  misinformed  u  cant  help  but  believe  u  got  cheated  and  your  most  basic  of  intrinsic  rights  got  violated  !!!  then  learning  and  defineing  would  in  the  future  become  more  important  , than  just  buying  into  a  scam !  That  in  fact  did  happen  to  many  good  people  via  the  internet ,  Jack Kinsella  ran  a  few  years  ago  a  advertisement  selling  memberships  so  people  could  join  a  pay  discussion  board  and  ask  Hal Lindsey  questions  ,  I  got  rather  exited  about  the  offer  personally  because  I  was  studying  a  specific  topic , well  upon  paying  to  join  ,which  was  not  much  I  discovered  their  hidden agenda  was  theology  policeing  not  to  mention  most  felt  scammed  because  some  person  other  than  Hal  was  in  fact  answering  his  questions  and  rebukeing  as  well  as  acuseing  new  people  of  pushing  him  out  on  the  porch  yada!  ya!...  and  before  it  was  all  over  people  got  ticked  off  and  voluntarily  left  except  for  one  or  two  me  being  one  of  the  ones  who  stuck it   out   WoW  did  I  get  took  to  see  a  freak  show  , The  dude  that  was  doing  the  running  of  things  who  was  not  wearing  a  title  pro  to  speak  was  a  TBN  outcast  former  demon  posessed  individual  with  a  extreme  history  of  issiues !!  and  he  used  his  issiues  to  walk  all  over  every body  and  did  not  get  in  trouble  for  doing  it  but  gulible  not  so  well  informed  individuals  as  myself  and  many  others  in  fact  did  get  to  see  a  freak  show  and  scammed !  we  still  dont  know  why  Jack  kinsella  did  that  !  we  just  know  that  it  did  not  go  over  real  well ,and  its  a  well  u  dont  wana  drink  the  water  from !!  be  more  well  informed  before  assumeing  you  are  going  to  get  your  questions  u  want  to  ask  a  world  renowned  member  of  clergy  via  the  internet  ,  come  on  you  could  be  asking  , that  dont  mean  the  person  answering  will  be  the  person  who  was  supose  to  answer !  To  make  it  more  understandable  I  do  in  fact  believe  the  only  dumb  question  is  the  un ask  question ,  and  I  do  understand  why  ?  it  is  beneficial  for  people  to  question  titles .  No  one  wants  to  buy  a  used  car  to  drive  to  a  freak  show  and  have  conversations  with  a  issiue  ridden  former  outcast  ,  and  when  he  got  through  doing  what  he  maybe  never  stopped  doing  many  in  truth  become  banned  out casts!!  they  felt  scammed  lied  to  and  mistreated  due  to  the  fact  some  clergy  man  self  appointed  individual  named  Jack  turned  whacko  and  allowed  a  unknown  person  named  Lou Talley  to  become  speak  for  and  play  theology  police  !!  after  he  had  sold   a  ask  Hal  .  well  Hal  has  a  pal  or  two  hideing  in  his  adress  book  I  did  not  sign  up  to  become  rebuked  policed  or  accused  by  and  it  really  did  not  go  well  at  all .  After  the  dude  accused  me  wrongly  , I  seized  the  platform  ,he  was  endevouring  to  use  wrongly  and  well  it  got  HOT  , LOL  I  set  all  the  little  flameing  things  on  fire  and  in  order  for  them  to  gain  back  control  they  had  to  of  course  accuse  me  of   over  useing  my  bought  deal  ,  and  so  I  got  seriously  restricted  down  to  being  a  silenced  spectator  , until  the  bully  on  board  Lou  T  found  a  sneeky  snake  way  to  be  rid  of  me  ,  he  used  treachery and  dishonesty  to  do it  !  He  copyed a illegal  link  and  threw  the  bait  in  the  water  ,and  began  questioning  me ,  after   I  told  him  it  said  it  was  illegal  ,  the  next  thing  I  was  told  and  awarded  for  my  honesty  was   ooh  its  a  test  and  I  had  officially  failed  to  keep  my  promise  to  not  over  post  my  priviledge !  the  real  con  man  was  so  gracious  to  afford  me , and  the  silenced  spectator (me)  immediatly  become  the  excommunicated  banned  member . Im  glad  I  remebered  and  learned  one  good  lesson  from  it  !!  become  informed  before  getting  involved  I  dont  care  how  exiteing  a  advertisement  offer  sounds !  On  that  I  will  just  say   u  have  done  no  wrong  to  question  ,  but  do  not  assume  anything  as  I  assure  you  of  one  fact  ,  when  a  person  is  appointed  to  be  something  it  simply  means   they  are   entrusted  ,  mostly  with  huge  responsabilities  ,  so    do  not  in  any  way   decide  to  disambiguate  ,  unless  given  a   factual  and  rational  reason .  Judge  not  lest  you  be  judged  I  learned  that  from  a  whacko  Jack  sinister  minister  ,  and  I  was  judged  condemned  criticized  and  accused  because  i  defended  myself  and  a  friend  or  two  from  a  over  bearing  over  opinionated  board  bully  who  thought  he  could  dominate  me  with  a  disguise  , I  saw  through  it  all  it  ticked  me  totally  off  and  somebody  had  serious  clean  up  duty  on  board!!!  the  omega ship  ,  kindly dont    disregard  this  letter  of  admonishion  . No  Christian  should  be  abused  into  haveing  their  most  basic  of  intrinsic  rights  violated  via  even  the  internet  under  tax  exempt  status  from  a  modern  day  merchandiser  self  appointed  disappointment  who  cant  get  the  log  out  of  his  own  eye  and  has  no  real  right  to  appoint  another  person  to  answer  another  mans  questions  with  out  truthfully  informing  the  public  that  he  is  gonna  do  that  before  he  sells  it  .  come  on  what  a  scam !  anyway  if  memory  serves  me  correctly   i  did  find  out that  I  got  hurt  to  realize  i  had  not  only  been  misinformed  but  i  never  even  got  to  finish  my  study !!  either  so  I  paid  for  my  mistakes  .  But  I  do  promise  I  wont  become  a  silenced  spectator  when  it  comes  to  telling  the  truth  about  spiritual  abuse!  I  hope  that  people  with  issiues  wont  walk  all  over  the  innocent  just  because  they  could  do  it  and  get  away  with  it . I  was  never  forgiven  i  was  just  one  of  the  ones  who  Jack  decided  to  impose  punishment  upon . I  lost  my  right  to  be  christian because  I  stood  up  to  a  bully  who was  really  not  so  nice  a  guy!  and  a  fair  fight  is  a  fair  fight  he  won  it  by  useing  treachery  instead  of  the  big  boss's  rule  book  , so  i  was  just  falsely  accused  and  that  dont  bother  me  much  , what  bothers  me  more  is  being  ill  informed  , which  was  not  my  fault !  besides  that  a  minister  I  used  to  have  utmost  respect  for  gave  up  on  me ,  but  Jesus  didn't !  he  did  give  me  a  101  lesson  on  merchants  in  the  market  place  . I  will  accept  it  freely  ,and  freely  i  will  say  Forgivness  was  my  choice  in  spite  of  the  fact  punishment  was  Jacks .  Now  I  get  my  education  on  non pay  boards . wow  did  i  get  a  good  deal !!  and  if  I  had  to  place  my  bets  ,  their  accountability  looks  extremly  more  humongous  than  mine  ever  will  be  . Im  only  accountable  for  my  mistakes  forgiveing  those  who  trespass  against  me  and  telling  the  truth  ,  today  I  did  all  three  in  one  big  sermon . LOL   I'll  trust  T.D. Jakes  is  a  man  of  great  integrity  and  most  agree  it  would  have  been  the  right  thing  for  my  former  teacher  teacher  to  off  understood  me  rather  than  banning  me  from  a  social  club  !  I  believed  I  was  joining  a  group  of  christians  not  a  gang  of  hypocrites  wearing  titles  !  ooh  well  Jesus  was  sent  for  the  pharasee's  too  !  I  cant  help  but  wonder  if  any  of  them  will  repent  in  this  modern  age  of  trouble !  Im  sorry  if  I  caused  any  trouble  I  got  troubles  of  my  own  I  feel  confused  about   brian  I  guess  I  should  question  whether  or  not  , Im  doing  my  home  work  enough  .

Anyway  you  are  entitled  to  be  what  you  are  ordained  for  is  my  whole  point  . Every  body  has  their  own  position  until  they  reposition  them  self  Ive  had  to  do  that  and  my  position  is  to  say  a  persons  title  is  not  as  important  as  the  person  . Personally  people  are  beings  God  has  a  great  and  high  intrest  in  ,  and  I  love  respect  and  admire  the  appointed  ,  even  if  I  get  disappointed  it  still  dont  mean  I  dont  forgive  or  love  because  I  do  .  Even  Jack  and  Hal  and  his  whole  issiue  ridden  crew  !  Im  not  crazy  ,  Im  just  not  needing  to  be punished  for  learning  that  sometimes  if  people  cant  police  u  they  do  decide  to  free  u  and  sometimes  its  the  wrong  way  , not  really  Gods  way  ,  but  in  spite  of  all  ways  Ive  found  a  way  to  keep  walking  in  faith  and  believe  in  the  dark  what  i  learned  in  the  light  , so  in  the  light  of  truth  let  it  shine  down  on  us  so  we  can  understand  even  if  were  thrown  away !  the  good  shepherd  makes  one  and  whats  lost  is people  having  their  own  way  when  God  said  do  it  his  way  . Thats  what  i  figured  out  about  some  good  people  with  titles  . 

September 3, 2008, 8:12 am CDT

Yes it is great!

Quote From: getrealtime

Isn't it great to live in America??? That the Doc can have on anyone he chooses on his show, even the Doc can state his beliefs and can do so in any form he chooses. Like his own show.

Non believers can watch and take out of the show what they wish, or turn it off.

I  find  it  awesome  great!!!  and  I  believe  that  the  Bishop  and  the  DOC  is  doing  a  major  service  to  humanity  in  that  they  are  exerciseing  their  intrinsic  rights  to  the  fullness  they  are  supose  too!  Great  show  BTW!!!  now  if  it  results in  getting  people  with  issiues  to  engage  in  public  acts  of  humility  and  repentence  with  their  most  troublesome  of  issiues  ,  GOOD!!!  that  in  and  of  itself  is  raiseing  the  bar !   I"ll  take  honesty  anyday !  most  people  cant  change  their  life  until  they  change  their  mind  and  women  do  that  like  the  weather  and  men  try  to  read  the  forcast  signs !!!!  LOL!!!   its  incredible  how  amazeing  simplicity  is  !!  Got  to  Love  it  !  besides  were  all  children  in  disguise  of  trying  to  come  to  maturity  on  some  level  or  another !  I  love  it  when  the  playing  field  gets  more  level  . So  Level  with  me  !  do  u  supose  we  can get  doc  and  Bishop  to  do  more  shows  like  this  last  one ?  I  hope  so  it  was  a  great  show  .  Greatness  is  when  you  can  define  your  self  and  your  beliefs  without  shame  or  repentance  Im  glad  the  doc  and  the  Bishop  is  there  !!!   and  hope  who  so  ever  wants  to  will  get  up  and  get  there  !!!  too!!  . we  cant  all  be  to  late  for  diner  and  wind  up  like  ole  dan  tucker !  combing  our  hair  with  a  wagon  wheel !!  LOL  Im  not  gonna  be  late  !!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next Page | Last Page