Message Boards

Topic : 09/02 Ask The Doctors

Number of Replies: 81
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 29, 2008, 12:04:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The Doctors are in the house! Dr. Phil is joined by his renowned panel of  medical professionals, including Lisa Masterson, an OB/GYN; pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears; family therapist Dr. Tara Fields; plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon; and E.R. doctor Travis Stork in answering your most pressing health questions. First, meet a mother of a 3-year-old and a 6-month-old set of twins who says she forgets everything from paying the bills, to her child’s name, to the fact she has children --and she’s only 21 years old! Could she be literally losing her mind? Then, meet a courageous 6-year-old Iraqi girl who miraculously survived a car bombing, leaving her with second-degree burns all over her head and face. Find out how her story changed the lives of one American family forever. Plus, 21-year-old Kristin has been dealing with a physical disorder that she says has stolen her self-esteem. When her insurance company turned down her plea for treatment, she turned to Dr. Phil as a last resort. Can help from one of The Doctors restore balance to Kristin’s life and give her the confidence she has lacked for so long? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 2, 2008, 4:34 pm CDT

Barbie stuff !!!

Quote From: izzylove

I just think it was GREAT what they did for that girl from Iraq. That was so awesome for Dr. Phil to give her all the Barbie stuff. It made me very happy to watch.
How can Barbie stuff make up for what this girl has lost. She would not been in that state if we had not gone there !!!!! ten of thousands of kids are like her in Iraq and Afghanistan ( Also left in Vietnam !!!) It is going to take way more than Barbie dolls.
Yes, give them Barbie dolls

September 2, 2008, 4:46 pm CDT

support for kristin

i too had 2 different sized breasts.  it started in 4th grade, by the time i was in high school i had an A cup on my right side and a DD on my left. 

when i finally told my mother she took me to get a prosthetic, the same kind that women who have mastectomies wear, and similar to what kristin wore.  this was great for day to day wearings, but being an active teenager, they would pop open at the seams, always at inconvenient times (during a dance recital, during my first week of 8 week sleep away camp, and 1 other, not so traumatic time)  also, i could only buy the mastectomy bathing suits from ll bean and land's end, at the time those were the only places that made them, so that i could put my "breast" inside the pouch in the lining and not have fear of it coming out while swimming.

looking back, the boyfriends i did have must have thought me weird for never taking my shirt/bra off...

sleepovers were scary, never knowing if i was going to get the dare to take my bra off and freeze it or some other stupid kid thing that would not let me wear my prosthetic.

when i was finally done growing, my parents took me to a surgeon.  i had 3 surgeries in total...1 for a breast reduction on the bigger side, 1 for an implant on the smaller side, and 1 for reshaping the bigger side to more closely resemble the implant side.

it's been the best thing i have ever done.  immediately, my confidence grew.  no more wearing shirts that were way too big to try and hide my breasts. 

both breasts do feel slightly different.  i have made a joke out of it, before getting intimate with a new boyfriend, that if he doesn't know if he prefers real or fake boobs that he can find out on me.  i don't tell the real reason why i have the 2 different ones, i say that i had a reduction and the implant side had a complication that they fixed by giving me the implant.

i had the surgery almost 8 years ago, now.  i'm 27 and my only regret is that it wasn't able to be done sooner. 

September 2, 2008, 4:53 pm CDT

I was also unbalanced...

Quote From: kachikid

My heart goes out to Kristin.  I can totally relate to her.  I have had the same problem my entire life!  I never knew of anyone who had the same problem!!  I have one size c cup breast and one size a cup breast.  I know exactly how she has felt.  I always felt different, odd and ashamed.  I never "told" anyone either.  It really affected my entire life. Dating was tricky. ( My relationships would get so far and then I would put up the physical and emotional barriers to not let anyone get too close and thus my relationships would end.)

I did meet and marry a wonderful man who loves me completely and we have had three healthy boys and I've nursed all three. However even still I would chose to have breast surgery to even my breasts out .  I am so very happy for Kristin!  She is a beautiful young lady and she should be able to feel for herself what the rest of the world can see.  Thank you Dr. Phil I am so thankful to you for acknowledging this issue!  I never knew of any other person who had this problem and some how hearing Kristin's story makes me fell less ashamed/embarassed Thank you Dr. Ordon for helping this young lady .  Kristin thankyou for sharing your story! God Bless all of you!! 

Just wanted to say to Kristen that I too had this problem growing up (one B and one D and very differently structured). I really had a lot of struggles with boys pointing and asking what was wrong with me and being embarrassed to wear anything close to my body.

I had surgery at 17 to reduce the larger breast instead of an implant in the smaller one. I chose this at the time due to my age and am glad I did so as I would have had the leaky ones as it was back in 1990. I was fortunate in that at that time the insurance company did cover it as a congenital deformity and not cosmetic.

As I got older I developed a difference again only on the opposite side and much, much less noticeable. This was more caused by weight gain and gravity than the same growth issue as before.

At 30 I had another surgery to even the structure out and chose to have the implants this time. I did have to pay for this one myself and am so happy that I had both surgeries and would never do it differently.

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. In fact, I have two other friends that have gone and had their size difference corrected now too partially because I told them about my experience.

Thanks for sharing yours.

September 2, 2008, 5:21 pm CDT

Kristen: I to struggle with this every day

I know just how Kristen feels.  I have struggled with this same problem every since I can remember.  One of my breast is not even an A cup and the other is 3 times as big.  It has always made me selfconcious of my self.  I can never wear sleeveless tops because I have to wear a bra that is padded.  When my husband and I were first married, I would never let him see me without my shirt and I am still uncomfortable about it if he does.  I have never felt sexy and I have always felt somewhat less of a woman.  Since I had a hysterectomy in Jan. it seems that I feel even worse about myself.  My low self esteem has always made me self concious and mostly depressed.  I have never been able to have this corrected and now that I am 34 and a mother of two, It is devasting when your child ask why you look like you do, and hard to explain when I don't know myself.  My daughter cried the first time she saw me, because she was scared she would look like this too.  I have had some family members to have brest augmentation because they just wanted to and I would secretly cry because I have often prayed that that could be me, and I would be fixed or normal.  I know that I should not let things such as this bother me, but it has been a constant issue for me.  If I buy a bra, it has to be padded so I can add what I need on the left side and not have it noticed.  If I go swimming, my suit has to be altered and I still usually wear a t-shirt.  I have put on weight now and this too makes me feel depressed, but I have always felt that if I felt normal I would get out of this depression and be outgoing in life.  Kristen, I am so happy for you that you had the chance to correct your abnormality.  Take advantage of it and live life to the fullest.  Hold your head high and don't let things get you down. 

Sincerely,

Kristy

September 2, 2008, 5:23 pm CDT

09/02 Ask The Doctors

Quote From: jeeperzlw

For the first time in my life, I feel compelled to provide one viewer's opinion on today's show.  As a breast cancer survivor, I was totally insulted by your show's compassion for Kristen's feelings of being inadequate because she is 'un-even.'  She needed to be educated in what really matters in life, rather than rewarded with cosmetic surgery.  I am furious that she was considered worthy to be on the same show as the little girl who survived a car bombing in Iraq, and I am furious that it appears to be a terrible thing to be 'un-even.'  How would Kristen feel if she was in a wheelchair, disabled, had breast cancer, or worse yet, faced the horror of the real hero of your show, little Teba. 

I do so agree with you. Little Teba was a sweet, happy, little girl despite her condition, and medical future.

And then, on comes this whinny self centered fat girl who never stopped crying because her breasts were uneven. Now I have not had breast cancer, but my mother, grandmother, room mate, and best  friend  all did. My best friend lost her life to it. I think she would have been thrilled to have Kristen's 1 C cup, and 1 A cup.

Kristen thinks her life is going to change drastically because her breasts are now symeterical, and has shown us these skimpy little bikinis that she is planning on wearing post surgery, She honestly thinks that at her weight she would actually look good in them! She is going to get a lot more horrified stares with all that blubber hanging out of those bathing suits...than she would have with the original breasts.

That Victoria's Secret gift card would have been better served if it had been from Lane Bryant.

September 2, 2008, 5:31 pm CDT

Kristen is not alone!

Kristen,
I am so happy for you! I am 49 yrs old and have the same problem that you had.  I have been married for 30 yrs and my husband likes the variety.  It is embarrassing at times, but I decided that God had a reason for creating my body uniquely, and others have irregularities that are much harder to deal with.  Enjoy the new clothes! Nebraska59

September 2, 2008, 5:37 pm CDT

To: Dr. Phil and THE DOCTORS Producers...

BTW: Today, was THE BEST THE DOCTORS yet.

A call out to y'all from Dallas, Texas

I'll pay my own airfare on SW Airlines and will sleep in a sleeping bag on Dr. Phil Show set and vacuum and clean up while Dr. Phil Show clean-up staff take a vacation. Cindyrella at y'all's call. I'll even start a recycle program there if y'all don't have one yet and okay with y'all: "Getting Real Going Green."

Y'all ARE still going to do Extreme Makeovers for those not in LA before y'all added this in LA only aren't you? PLEASE CHOOSE ME.

Okay, maybe I had delusions of grandeur hoping for a beach view five star hotel with gourmet diet meals until my Extreme Makeover completed. Please give me a second chance y'all. Thank you.

Extreme Makeover wish list:

Head to toe physical (no dental or medical insurance)
Teeth as nice as Dr. Phil's (When a teen, mine rearranged by a rapist's fist.)
Unwanted facial hair removal (Made fun of about since a teen and worse.)
Multiple mole and sebaceous cyst removal
Maybe nose job since seems like my nasal breathing inhibited
Face lift
Eyebrow lift
Breast reduction if losing weight doesn't do the job
Vision correction if possible (central vision loss right eye etc.)
Learn user friendly exercises for my herniated and diffuse disk bulge in neck
(partly why I've gained weight not wanting to injure further)
Gallbladder removal
Pedicure and manicure and anything else y'all think I need.
I'm open to suggestions y'all...

I've already sent in two DVD's so I'm good to go and will mail in a third. Robin says fifties are fabulous fifties and she and Dr. Phil look fabulous yet I don't look nor feel fabulous at 53, as per above. Please don't forget about practical persons in Dallas that send DVD's Priority Mail instead of Express Mail. Please reconsider me y'all if I wasn't chosen. Thank you.

Sincerely,

"Cindyrella"

P.S. Just ask Dr. Phil Website Staff for my contact information, please, if y'all will please give me a second chance if I wasn't chosen. Thank you.

September 2, 2008, 6:23 pm CDT

Ask The Doctors

I was surprised to see doctors would go so far about using the same needle from one person to the next. It makes you wonder just how professional these doctors services really are.........

September 2, 2008, 6:41 pm CDT

Ask the Doctors/Re Kristin

Quote From: kachikid

My heart goes out to Kristin.  I can totally relate to her.  I have had the same problem my entire life!  I never knew of anyone who had the same problem!!  I have one size c cup breast and one size a cup breast.  I know exactly how she has felt.  I always felt different, odd and ashamed.  I never "told" anyone either.  It really affected my entire life. Dating was tricky. ( My relationships would get so far and then I would put up the physical and emotional barriers to not let anyone get too close and thus my relationships would end.)

I did meet and marry a wonderful man who loves me completely and we have had three healthy boys and I've nursed all three. However even still I would chose to have breast surgery to even my breasts out .  I am so very happy for Kristin!  She is a beautiful young lady and she should be able to feel for herself what the rest of the world can see.  Thank you Dr. Phil I am so thankful to you for acknowledging this issue!  I never knew of any other person who had this problem and some how hearing Kristin's story makes me fell less ashamed/embarassed Thank you Dr. Ordon for helping this young lady .  Kristin thankyou for sharing your story! God Bless all of you!! 

Wow, it's been almost 30 years since my first surgery to correct the exact same problem poor Kristin had! I spent my teenage years feeling exactly the same. When my body started to develop, only one of my breasts grew, and despite two normal nipples, I completely lacked any breast tissue on one side. I was able to ultimately confide in my mom (when I was 20 years old) who helped me to get the corrective surgery I needed. The insurance company initially denied the claim for surgery and only after they were sent photos, did they agree. (I only had one implant done). I was told it was actually a congenital birth defect which, along with the surgery, made a world of difference in my life! Six years later, after nursing my first daughter, I had a second surgery to balance my breast size once again, due to nursing. Whether it was my baby's preference, or mine, I did nurse her more on the natural side and as a result, became uneven again. When my second surgery was done, I had two even breasts again (the 2nd time, we had to pay for it, as it was considered cosmetic). Needless to say, I didn't nurse my second daughter but I'm so glad I was able to with my first. As I've aged (I'll be 51 next week) I have gained weight and my breasts are uneven again, but not drastically. I did lose some feeling in the lower part of my breasts, but that was a small price to pay for what I gained. The small scars do diminish in time, so much so, that 2 years ago, I was called back to the imaging center to retake my mammogram. THE TECHNICIAN DIDN'T KNOW I HAD IMPLANTS! I'm so happy for Kristin, and hope others will learn from these stories that something can be done. No one should suffer the shame and embarassment of feeling deformed, especially young girls. I know, because I lived it.

September 2, 2008, 6:46 pm CDT

Ask The Doctors

I was glad to see Teeba get barbie toys. I think she was deserving of them after her experience in Iraq.

Im not sure why Dr. Phil did that. Just maybe it was to give that little girl a chance to be a kid and have toys.......

She may have missed that being in Iraq and in a war zone........

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last