Message Boards

Topic : 09/05 Party Mom

Number of Replies: 117
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 29, 2008, 12:06:00 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Two sisters say their mother always appeared to others as the perfect mom, but behind closed doors was no mother at all. Angela and Amanda harbor angry feelings toward their mom, Ruthie, and have not spoken to her in months. The sisters use words like "phony," "incompetent" and "sociopath" to describe her, have written letters in an effort to give her a wake-up call and now look to Dr. Phil for help getting through to her. When their dad remarried, they say she showed up at the wedding and had to be chased off the premises. They’re especially concerned for their three teenaged siblings still living in the home, and they believe that their mother will do anything to win the teens' love, including throwing drinking parties -- one of which landed on YouTube. You won't believe what they say their mother will do to win the teen's love. After months of estrangement, Ruthie faces her daughters and denies all of their allegations. Hear firsthand accounts of what Ariel, Ruthie's 16 year old daughter, says is really going on under Ruthie's roof. Was the last party really a set-up for the police? And Ariel makes a tearful plea. Will her mother be moved by it? Heavy-hitting lawyer Gloria Allred gives sound legal advice that no parent of a teenager should miss! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 5, 2008, 8:33 am CDT

why was the show dedicated to rodger king? who is he?

September 5, 2008, 11:37 am CDT

Disappointed with the spin

I am disappointed with the spin of this episode. I felt terrible for the mother. Clearly her daughters are upset with her, but I saw a mother who is trying to be creative in helping her son find healthy ways to have fun. Too many parents are full of No's and not enough "try these". Perhaps there were other elements at play, but I think that the issue of whether or not she's acting criminally by having 18 year olds feel safe enough to admit that they shouldn't be driving after coming over after a party somewhere else is ridiculous. It seems to me that this woman is making an effort to be involved in her son's life and has created a place of honesty with her son that is much healthier than having him lie about binge drinking elsewhere or having her son too afraid to tell her that he shouldn't be drinking.

Of course she should be more strict about not allowing alcohol in her house, clearly she is making mistakes, but I think Dr Phil was much too heavy handed with her.

September 5, 2008, 12:34 pm CDT

Ariel

I think Ariel did a great job telling the truth on the show & my concern is, what is life at home going to be like for Ariel now that her Mom knows she was honest about what is going on in there? Is she going to be cast out of the home or shunned by her mother? I hope not... I hope her Mom is better than that.... but I'm not so sure she is.
Ariel stay strong. You did a great job & you are a very beautiful, smart & honest young woman. Be proud of yourself.

September 5, 2008, 12:43 pm CDT

This mother...

What is wrong with this woman????? I can see why her older children are worried.... I am as well. Someone PLEASE help the children that this woman has in her home.

September 5, 2008, 12:44 pm CDT

again i agree

Quote From: missy3422

You berated that women and did not try to help her. She obviously is  hurting from past experiences  and needs help.  We all can not just bounce back from being hurt.  Unfortunately it effects our lives forever. I really enjoy your show, but sometimes you need to be a little bit more helpful to the people that really need it.  Sometimes we don't always see our problems.  It is not as simple as you think it is.

This is what I was saying yesterday,    Dr Phil is losing his passion to help people and instead

he is becoming " Judgemental, condecending, rude, raw and hurtful.  Just the

other day he mocked a girl when she spoke.  I made this show a part of every day life,

now i am very conflicted about what is going on with Doc.  Could someone please respond

even friends of mine have said the same thing,  they have stopped watching all together.

I love the Doc,  but i am getting a little discouraged.

September 5, 2008, 12:47 pm CDT

Also, disappointed.

Quote From: bonjour520

I am disappointed with the spin of this episode. I felt terrible for the mother. Clearly her daughters are upset with her, but I saw a mother who is trying to be creative in helping her son find healthy ways to have fun. Too many parents are full of No's and not enough "try these". Perhaps there were other elements at play, but I think that the issue of whether or not she's acting criminally by having 18 year olds feel safe enough to admit that they shouldn't be driving after coming over after a party somewhere else is ridiculous. It seems to me that this woman is making an effort to be involved in her son's life and has created a place of honesty with her son that is much healthier than having him lie about binge drinking elsewhere or having her son too afraid to tell her that he shouldn't be drinking.

Of course she should be more strict about not allowing alcohol in her house, clearly she is making mistakes, but I think Dr Phil was much too heavy handed with her.

No offence to the good Doctor,  but i am feeling the same way

Dr PHil used to be the only person that could put things in order for me

now he just plain scares me.   I am dealing with a very serious problem,

but i would never allow myself on that show these days,  these people are

being burned at the cross.....I really want the old doc back,   Dr Phil...i love you

but i need the old you back,  I am losing hope

September 5, 2008, 12:55 pm CDT

Party Mom

This mom is wrong without a doubt,   but Dr Phil....come on      Maybe you need some time off

to soften up abit.  You seem to losing your ability to see all sides and it is great to be up

and up with your guests but where is the doc who really cares with a whole heart.  We want

him back so bad.

September 5, 2008, 1:19 pm CDT

Problems

Hey guys,

He said on the show to click on today and he will tell us the tips for spotting problem parents..

Well i did and nothing, anyone help?

Thanx x

September 5, 2008, 1:36 pm CDT

09/05 Party Mom

Quote From: maggeemay

This mom is wrong without a doubt,   but Dr Phil....come on      Maybe you need some time off

to soften up abit.  You seem to losing your ability to see all sides and it is great to be up

and up with your guests but where is the doc who really cares with a whole heart.  We want

him back so bad.

Are you kidding me?? This is a joke, right?

There IS no other side!! Dr Phil DOES care....he cares about the kids who are encouraged to drink and drive, by this lunatic mother who just wants to "be cool"!  He cares about the families who may be killed by one of these drunk teenagers! He cares about the fact that this dumbass mother may wind up in jail because she has allowed and encouraged teenagers to drink and let them drive home. He cares about these daughters whose hearts are breaking because their mother is such a selfish, childish mess, when they want and need a mother so badly! 

Just where do you see him NOT caring??

September 5, 2008, 1:56 pm CDT

Grieving Mom

I have never felt such a need to reply before! I'm a Mother of Three Sons ages 28, would have been 20 and 19. Our beautiful middle son Darren Lee Anderson passed on 12/01/06. Darren was on his way home driving his 1986 S10 pickup truck when he swerved off road and road the guardrail like a ramp. His truck then flip over landing flip over driver side into a tree. This caused massive damage too his body and he broke his neck  he died of affixation  He had been at his friends parents home and had a couple of beers and pizza. I had my suspicion of him drinking before and had talked with him. He told me Mom I wouldn’t drink and drive and mess my truck up. His alcohol level was below the legal limit at the time he died. The police investigation found out that the boys Mother admitted she had provided beer to them. I know that Darren drank of his own free will no one poured it down his throat. Me and my husband where then asked by the Sheriffs department if we would sign and notarize this letter they sent. Stating that we were aware and ok with fact the Mother supplied the beer. We could not agree with that and didn’t sign the letter. The Mother went to court and was charged with contributing to underage drinking and was fined. I can tell you the boys wouldn’t have been at my house drinking. What is a parent to do Darren was 18 and was going too move out of our home in the beginning of December. I just felt I needed to share our story and hopefully others will learn from it. I wish this Mother could realize she is wrong and needs help. She has a beautiful family and a lot of love there if she could just open her eyes before its too late! God forbid! Thanks for letting me share. Love, Peace, Joy and God's Blessing's, Denise

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last