Message Boards

Topic : No Excuses Workout Tips…

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, September 03, 2008, 12:29:42 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
No time, no equipment …  Sound familiar? The bottom line is there is NO EXCUSE for not eating right and exercising.  Share your no excuses strategies for staying fit!

More Weight Loss Support Message Boards

Find Weight Loss Buddies in Your Area

Weight Loss Member Support

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 16, 2008, 10:03 pm CDT

Just a word

Quote From: momi_of_2

I am 20 years old and a mother of two, one is 2 1/2 an my youngest is 8 months.  They are 2 years apart which added to most of my weight gain.  I'm a stay at home mom, and it is hard to find time to work out with two young children.  Im not making any excuses to work out, I really want to, Im ready for this change. My dad even went out an got me a gym membership.  My husband works full time, and most of the time he dont get home untill real late. But I think he does that on purpose so I dont even get the chance to go. I feel so frustrated sometimes, because i dont get the support I need from my husband. Im just at a lost b/c I dont know what to do anymore. I dont know how to find time for myself so I can get into shape.

That is very sad.tell your DH that you need his support and if he doesn't give it to you then just keep checking back here.We all love you and WILL support you.I'm a stay at home Mama to and it is hard.But you have to do this for yourself and your kids.Try to do little things in the day.Like instead of walking around the house,lunge.While you drive squeeze ur butt cheaks.lol.when you do the dishes stand on one foot and lift up onto ur toes.Take every opportunity to burn calories.You will be surprised how much you can do,while taking care of ur home,and the kids.Oh ya and like someone said put on some fun music and dance w/ the kids until all of you are nice and sweaty.Not only does it get the kids involved and having fun with there Mama, but it also wares them out,lol.

Be good to urself

Ginny

September 16, 2008, 10:08 pm CDT

One more step on my way to being a Loser

Today I made it 6 miles and 20 mins. on my exercise bike,60 crunches and 60 leg lift on each side.I feel good about myself that I'm nopt making excuses anymore.

September 17, 2008, 8:32 am CDT

Any helpful ideas?

Hi everyone! I'm a mom of three.  I currently weigh 309 and deperately need to change that.  I use to be 5'6 and now I am 5'4 so my BMI is so high that I need to change my life or my life will be short.  I am 34 and have strugglrd with my weight throughout my life.  I have many health conditions that stem from me being overweight.  I am ready to change my life.  I know I have a long hard road ahead of me but I am ready for the new journey of my life.  Any ideas or help in anyways would be appreciated.  I think the hardest thing about losing weight is not having the support that you need to succeed.  Having people that are going through the same thing as you are. lets you know that you aren't alone out there.  I have allot to learn as far as eating healthy and finding the exercise routine that I will be able to do and stick with.  I am up for the challenge and ready to change my life.

September 17, 2008, 12:42 pm CDT

Why Can't I Just Stick to It?

I'm so ready to lose the weight, but am finding it hard to make the changes necessary. I know I can do it because in January, I joined a 12 week healthy habits program at the Y. I lost 14 pounds, gained 2% muscle, and lost 5% body fat...something like that...but I was feeling soooooo good! My confidence soared, my energy soared, I got off of my blood pressure medication. I felt like I was beginning to feel that my body was matching what I felt on the inside. And I was very good at watching my food intake. I cut out all the junk and had no cravings for it. I was able to exhibit control over food...for example, if I had to have a soda, I'd pour a bit into my child's cup, and that was it. I was satisfied and the soda would last me almost a week!!! Well now, here it is Sepetmber, and I haven't been to the gym in 4 months. At a recent doctor appointment, I had put on 17 pounds, and am back on the HBP medication. My clothes are fitting crummy. I had given away the bigger sizes earlier this year, and HAD to buy smaller ones!! Unfortunately, I cannot fit into them now and that's all I've got to wear. I love going to the Y and working out. As a single mom, it is what keeps me grounded. I'm a better mom and better able to cope when I get to work out. My elderly father has been living with us since April. I'm taking care of him, and getting him healthy, then he goes back home. Why am I having such a hard time these past 4 months? I miss going to the Y, and I am so anxious because I haven't worked out. I feel guilty if I leave the kids and my dad so I can go exercise. Why am I not able to exert the control over the food? I'm not hungry, but I sure will cram 3 doughnuts down for no reason. My mantra is " I want to be a hot mamma...not a fat mamma." Any encouragement or advice? I know I can look good, and I liked the way my body was changing. I just need to get my mind set back, and  honestly make my health a priority. HELP!

September 17, 2008, 5:33 pm CDT

We can do it!!!

I made it to the gym last night  and felt great then I decided to sit down and watch t.v. Here comes a hint...instead of just sitting and watching t.v. I got out  the big exercise ball thats been stuck in the back of the closet, put it in front of the t.v.....wait for it....I started using it while watching t.v. lunges, sit ups, arm lifts and whatever else I could figure out to do with it.  I worked on it for 1 1/2hrs straight!!!  I am sore today but I feel like I accomplished something during my sit on the couch and relax time.  Really we are all creative even if you don't have one of those big exercise balls a little kids rubber ball can help with sit ups or put between your knees while you read or watch t.v. and squeeze,  it also helps you keep your balance or posture while doing side bends just remember keep knees bent and shoulders even.

What creative ideas for squeezing in time or ways to exercise.  I feel pumped!!. Oh and for dinner, took 15min.  Chicken breast on grill (marinate w/low cal italian and garlic)  and put zucchini and yellow squash on the grill as well w/same marinade a little Pam (olive oil) while they cooked I made a salad. All done!!!  I also like to make extra chicken or fish as long as I'm cooking it and throw it on a salad for lunch the next day. 

I work a lot so if I'm gonna do anything it's gotta be quick and I figure for me to get in my car and drive to Mickey D's takes me about 20min.  Got anymore quick breakfast/lunch/dinner fixes?  I love this message board,  thanks for listening everyone gotta go bounce!!!!   Kim

September 17, 2008, 5:52 pm CDT

I want to help

Quote From: dropdeadbored

Hi everyone! I'm a mom of three.  I currently weigh 309 and deperately need to change that.  I use to be 5'6 and now I am 5'4 so my BMI is so high that I need to change my life or my life will be short.  I am 34 and have strugglrd with my weight throughout my life.  I have many health conditions that stem from me being overweight.  I am ready to change my life.  I know I have a long hard road ahead of me but I am ready for the new journey of my life.  Any ideas or help in anyways would be appreciated.  I think the hardest thing about losing weight is not having the support that you need to succeed.  Having people that are going through the same thing as you are. lets you know that you aren't alone out there.  I have allot to learn as far as eating healthy and finding the exercise routine that I will be able to do and stick with.  I am up for the challenge and ready to change my life.

I just posted a new message about what I did last night(see note from Kim).  I totally agree with you one needing the support I love this chat.  I have been on several DIETS and I used to be an aerobics instructor(25 years ago) so I know what I'm suppose to do but couldn't get myself to do it. But with everyones support we will be happy to help you : ).   Start slow and the more you move the more you'll want to move.

I have terrible feet and have finally started having work done on them,  because I stopped doing everything because my feet hurt,  we'll I went for a consult and don't you know he started working on them right then.  I had procrastinated so long thinking nothing could be done or I couldn't afford it.  Well I found out I couldn't afford not to do it,  my feet aren't totally done yet but they will be and each time I see the Dr. I can do a little bit more.  And I find if I tell myself yes I am in pain(not killing myself) when I workout  most of the pain will start to subside.  Like knee, back and foot pain, and leave you happier and healthier!!!!

I hope I helped a little,  Kim

September 17, 2008, 6:41 pm CDT

No excuses means NO excuses

I have lost 34 pounds and kept it off for 3 or 4 years. Still been trying to lose the last 10. I lose it and put it back on soooo....this is IT. I'm doing it. This is my 2nd day for the last 10!

What helped me with exercise were the following tips.

-Exercise every day (not just 3 or 4 days a week). I found when I planned for a few days a week there was always some reason that I missed a day and was going to make it up. Then by the end of the week...you guessed it....I didn't get in my 3 or 4 days. I started doing 7 days a week and I do allow one day off but rarely use it now.

-Finding time. You'll find it if you really want to. If you have small children, put them in the stroller and walk, exercise while they are napping, get up an hour earlier and just do it. If worse comes to worse do a little here and there throughout the day. There is no rule that says you have to do it all at once.

-Do something you enjoy or you won't stick with it. I love variety. Walking, swimming, dancing to music, bike riding, doing exercise videos, etc. I don't care for the gym but that's just a personal preference.

-Something that helped me on the Dr. Phil site before this weight loss challenge even came up was the following statement by Dr. Phil. "Give yourself permission to say, "I don't have to want to do this all the time." By acknowledging that, you can respond to it accordingly. People who watch what they eat and exercise regularly don't necessarily want to, but they understand that their actions have consequences. They've programmed themselves for success."  (This quote has helped me SO much).

-It helps to have someone to talk to who is into keeping fit. I have an email friend who is fitness oriented.

It's funny cause the term "No Excuses Workout" is used here. I've always called my healthy eating and exercise plan the "No Excuses Diet" although it's not a diet, it's a permanent lifestyle change.

I am personally on low carb but I've done Weight Watchers too. They ALL work as long as we follow them!

Hope this helped.

Karianne

P.S. I've got tons of diet tips too but this is the exercise thread. I've gotta find the diet one!  :)

September 17, 2008, 7:40 pm CDT

Wow, Deja Vu!

Quote From: ninjaroobeachy

I'm so ready to lose the weight, but am finding it hard to make the changes necessary. I know I can do it because in January, I joined a 12 week healthy habits program at the Y. I lost 14 pounds, gained 2% muscle, and lost 5% body fat...something like that...but I was feeling soooooo good! My confidence soared, my energy soared, I got off of my blood pressure medication. I felt like I was beginning to feel that my body was matching what I felt on the inside. And I was very good at watching my food intake. I cut out all the junk and had no cravings for it. I was able to exhibit control over food...for example, if I had to have a soda, I'd pour a bit into my child's cup, and that was it. I was satisfied and the soda would last me almost a week!!! Well now, here it is Sepetmber, and I haven't been to the gym in 4 months. At a recent doctor appointment, I had put on 17 pounds, and am back on the HBP medication. My clothes are fitting crummy. I had given away the bigger sizes earlier this year, and HAD to buy smaller ones!! Unfortunately, I cannot fit into them now and that's all I've got to wear. I love going to the Y and working out. As a single mom, it is what keeps me grounded. I'm a better mom and better able to cope when I get to work out. My elderly father has been living with us since April. I'm taking care of him, and getting him healthy, then he goes back home. Why am I having such a hard time these past 4 months? I miss going to the Y, and I am so anxious because I haven't worked out. I feel guilty if I leave the kids and my dad so I can go exercise. Why am I not able to exert the control over the food? I'm not hungry, but I sure will cram 3 doughnuts down for no reason. My mantra is " I want to be a hot mamma...not a fat mamma." Any encouragement or advice? I know I can look good, and I liked the way my body was changing. I just need to get my mind set back, and  honestly make my health a priority. HELP!

Ninja, I could've sworn I was reading my own post!  I too am a single mom who has her elderly dad living in with us... and run in streaks of healthy eating and exercise before I give in totally, and binge and give up on healthy habits. My theory (or maybe knowledge) is that we are missing something in our lives, so we turn to food for comfort. I believe it's how I deal with stress. Some days, trying to control the urge  just  makes it worse. I know how easy 3 doughnuts, or 10 cookies, or a box of snack crackers can be devoured... All the while telling yourself "It doesn't matter, I'll do better next week, but today I really want these ______" (fill in the blank with your favorite comfort food).

If you are like me, we are always there to take care of everyone else. And if we aren't it can be unbearable for us (the guilt). It's hard to remember that if we don't take care of ourselves, we might not be available to take care of anyone else. That all sounds good, I know, but I too have a hard time losing the excuses and doing what I know I need to do. It really is a viscious circle I've been dealing with my whole life. Do we just need support?

I tried a Medical Weight Loss Program in February of this year, and did fantastic on it, but had to put up with my dad's criticism and comments about eating "nothing but tea and crackers". I did it for about 4 weeks, and lost 15 lbs (which I have since added and subtracted again, twice) I ate regular sized portions, healthy snacks, and reduced sodium foods, paired with exercise. It just seems that without someone in my corner cheering for me, complimenting my efforts and encouraging me to succeed, I just don't see why I'm depriving myself of the "high' I get from eating the foods I know I should only enjoy in moderation. I guess It really is an addiction, and I'm not sure how to change that mindset, but I'm here to investigate the possibilities.

September 18, 2008, 2:08 am CDT

No Excuses Workout Tips…

Quote From: ninjaroobeachy

This is so me. I have lost 70 pounds in the last year but the last 2 months I just can't get back with it.  I went to the "Y" for the first last night and it felt great.  My weight is 254 so I have a LONG way to go but I know I have to do it for myself and my child.  My dad died 1 and an half years ago at the age of 58, my Grandpa died at 59 and my Aunt died around 40 years of age.  So I know it is up to me to stop this "FAT" chain in my family.  Thank's so much for sharing I could see so much in your story. Keep up the good work I know you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 18, 2008, 1:49 pm CDT

time is running out

I am 67 years old and still fighting my 20 pounds of extra weight. I am watching the shows, have exercise equipment, but a terrible diet. I hope this time with the help of this sight and the book I will make it!

Grandy

First | Prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next | Last