Message Boards

Topic : No Excuses Workout Tips…

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, September 03, 2008, 12:29:42 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
No time, no equipment …  Sound familiar? The bottom line is there is NO EXCUSE for not eating right and exercising.  Share your no excuses strategies for staying fit!

More Weight Loss Support Message Boards

Find Weight Loss Buddies in Your Area

Weight Loss Member Support

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 24, 2008, 10:57 pm CDT

I need help I cant do it by myself

Hi my name is Maribel Uribe, I'm 33yrs old and I'm over weight.  I'm a latin women from Houston,TX. Know I live in Florida.  My weight is196lbs. I'm around 5.5ft tall.  My body shape is like a pear. I want to lose some weight but, my self-esteam is real low.  I know what to do but, i just don't do it.   I just need someone to motivate me on what to do and show me what to eat. Because i really don't know how to cook that much.  I just know little.

September 27, 2008, 1:36 pm CDT

Why Bother?

I'm up at 4:42am. 1 hour drive to work and 1 hour drive home. I can't eat when I first get up, it makes me ill. I don't eat lunch...unless I spend the half an hour at the choke and puke...I hate fast food...actually hate most food because everything gives me heartburn...even water. Brown bag it? Booorrring! Maybe I'll eat dinner...if I feel like it. Usually I have something else going on away from home anyway, mtng., etc. I gain weight because I don't eat enough, so I'm told. So that gives me between 7 & 8 pm to exercise which causes me to lie awake at night. I usually don't get to bed until 12-1am because I just went through a divorce (but the Dr. Phil Show didn't want to hear that story) and have to do everything she used to do. Don't make enough money to buy good food which also means I don't get to enjoy any time out either. I'm not whining about it...it's just the way my f**ked-up life is.

If I drop dead tomorrow...so be it!

September 27, 2008, 5:53 pm CDT

this takes planning

Quote From: flamingopoop

Have been off this board for a few days and NEEDED to check in!  I'm trying to do too darned much!!!

Went to the kitchen to clean all the junk food and to take inventory of my pantry, freezer and spices.   I really didn't find too many No-No's.  I did find a lot of expired stuff, spices that had turned to dust and a myriad of science projects pushed to the back of the fridge (gag!!)  Then I stirred up a hornet's nest!!!  Had to take everything out of the pantry...scrubbed the shelves, put like things together, dusted the cans...  Moved on to the fridge, had to take out all food stuffs, the shelves and drawers, scrubbed that puppy clean....Moved on to the spices, purging, washing the jars, alphabetizing....

Long story short, I turned around and my kitchen looked like a weapon of mass destruction blew up while my back was turned.  So what did I do?  Jumped on FlyLady.net.  Have only 3 more days of vacation left and thought I needed a little help organizing my house....Heck, there aren't enough vacation days left in my life to fix all my issues!!!

It wouldn't hurt my feelings one little bit if Dr. Phil did a whole life makeover on me, but I bet he doesn't have enough experts in the world to get that done before he retires!!!

So, I have been thinking about this and I think the root cause of all my self inflicted misery is that I'm a Perfectionist.  You read that right.  PERFECTIONIST.  I want everything to be so perfect, that I research, plan, make lists, cross reference resources, buy all the books,  and flat out think a problem to death.  I take no action because I do not want to fail or make a mistake.  I make a plan, but if Plan A doesn't work, I have no backup (because I've thought Plan A out so well, who needs a Plan B, right?), so I don't implement the plan....I just keep researching and re-writing it with the hope that one day it will be in good enough shape to try.  I'm a sick sucker!!!

SO FOLKS, that's why I'm here!!!!  LOSERS DON'T MAKE EXCUSES!!!!  I'm NOT excusing my actions, I'm just acknowledging them and verbalizing them aloud for the first time.  I have gotten my self into my own predicaments and I need some help getting out.  Does anyone have any tips to motivate me to move from planning to implementation???

LOSERS DON"T MAKE EXCUSES!!!

Patti

go ahead and plan, be a perfectionist, don't change your personality.

I started at 208 lb 3 weeks ago, now i'm down to 195!  it takes planning, cooking ahead.

I haven't even started exercising yet.  i'm getting my metabolism going again.

The trick is to eat 5-6 small meals a day, you're never hungry!  but, u must eat the right things.

Throw away all the canned goods, only fresh veggies, meat, carbs and fruits....at the right time of day.

I eat:   breakfast:  2 oz protein (egg whites, chicken, turkey) & 1/2 cup fresh berries(or 1/4 c melon)

mid-morn snack:  2 oz protein (chicken, fish, turkey) & 1/2 c berries or 1/4 c melon

lunch:  2 oz protein (same) & 1/2 c carb (white rice, sweet potatoe, barley) 1 c veggies ( spinach, lettuce,califlower,brocolli,carrots,snow peas,mushrooms,tomato,cabbage,artichoke,rutabage...)

afternoon snack:  2 oz protein, 1/2 c carb (same) 

dinner: 2 oz protein, 1/2 carb & 1-2 cups veggies

pm snack:  1/4 - 1/2 fruit

This WORKS, it is based on the 6 week body makeover by Michael Thurman.  It is a good lifestyle to get into the habit, that's what I'm trying to do, change my lifestyle.

My 11 yr old daughter has lost 11 lbs in 3 weeks (we have both fudged a few times).

So, you do your planning and perfect this regiment....that's a goal, it's my goal!

You can e-mail me at max2xhothod@aol.com, maybe we can keep each other on track!

September 28, 2008, 7:59 pm CDT

wieght loss

I have no problem working out, my eating habits are great, I motivate people to work out and asked to help train them.  I have gained weight in the past year, I have noticed it, people have noticed it, it is all in my middle section, I am 51 and am past menopause, it is very frustrating when my pants are getting tightee in my waist line. I have seen a nutritionist. Please don't tell me muscle weighs more than fat, I already know that. Do you have any suggestions?

September 28, 2008, 8:07 pm CDT

wow

Quote From: ccwolf69

I'm up at 4:42am. 1 hour drive to work and 1 hour drive home. I can't eat when I first get up, it makes me ill. I don't eat lunch...unless I spend the half an hour at the choke and puke...I hate fast food...actually hate most food because everything gives me heartburn...even water. Brown bag it? Booorrring! Maybe I'll eat dinner...if I feel like it. Usually I have something else going on away from home anyway, mtng., etc. I gain weight because I don't eat enough, so I'm told. So that gives me between 7 & 8 pm to exercise which causes me to lie awake at night. I usually don't get to bed until 12-1am because I just went through a divorce (but the Dr. Phil Show didn't want to hear that story) and have to do everything she used to do. Don't make enough money to buy good food which also means I don't get to enjoy any time out either. I'm not whining about it...it's just the way my f**ked-up life is.

If I drop dead tomorrow...so be it!

wow, I don't mean to be mean when I say this to you, but quit playing the victim here.  I get up at 4:00 am every morning and don't get home from work till around 6:00pm.  I make a healthy breakfast every morning, and I brown bag it , that doesn't have to be boring, I don't eat fast food cause it makes me sick.  I take an assortment of supplements such as fish oil, folic acid, dhea, etc.  I do get a physical every year to make sure I am on the right track.  I am not thin, nor fat, I struggle with my weight every day.  I am 51 years old, past menopause, I also do not get enough sleep and am told I don't eat enough calories, but I can't put more food inside me, not because I don't have time, but because I am full from what I do eat.  I have also been through a nasty divorce and that too shall pass for you.  You cannot have such a negative attitude because you will never get out of  your rut that your are in.  People love you, let them in, ask for help, pay it forward and pray to God everyday for guidance and be thankful and grateful everyday.  Write to me if you want, I am sure you are a wonderful person.  You need to be positive everyday.

September 30, 2008, 2:17 am CDT

Getting started...

Quote From: santamaribel

Hi my name is Maribel Uribe, I'm 33yrs old and I'm over weight.  I'm a latin women from Houston,TX. Know I live in Florida.  My weight is196lbs. I'm around 5.5ft tall.  My body shape is like a pear. I want to lose some weight but, my self-esteam is real low.  I know what to do but, i just don't do it.   I just need someone to motivate me on what to do and show me what to eat. Because i really don't know how to cook that much.  I just know little.
Getting started is the hardest thing.... I find, like the first tip of Dr Phils that for this to work long term you have to change the way you think.  If you tell yourself that you're about to cut out bad foods, diet, restrict, etc. then you'll just want to eat more!  So the best way to start is slowly...now I know that when you have extra weight all you want to do is get rid of it quickly nad easily...and well realistically that isn't going to happen, or if you use something that does make it happen then it probably isn't going to last long-term.  So spend the first few weeks changing how you think about food.  Find foods that are healthy, such as fruit and vegetables, and buy something different each week as a 'treat'.  By telling yourself that it is a treat you will be making a healthy choice and your mind will start to think of healthy things differently....Also start drinking a little more water each day...slowly increasing your intake till you have reached the recommended 6-8 glasses per day.  Another good idea is to start reading information on what kinds of food are good, read books, browse the internet sites, etc.  On the exercise side of things start making small changes each week.  Maybe park a litlle further away, or get off the bus further away, take time out for yourself each day...even if it's just 1/2 and hour at the end of the day, to unwind so that you sleep better, as thins can also affect your weight.  I am trying to lose about 50lbs at the moment as I have suddenly ballooned...so I too have been slowly increasing my water intake, slowly introducing 1 or 2 new healthy foods each week, and slowly rearranging my daily schedule so that I can get up earlier and eventually feel motivated to go to the gym in the mornings....I know this may sound like slow hard work...with few results happening for a while...but in the long run it will be well worth it as it will be a lifestyle change that will last.....  Cooking tips...well I find that planning ahead is a big thing.  Try to have a meal plan when you shop so that you buy the right food and skip the bad.  It is amazing how much you can save as you start to eliminate oven fries, potato crisps, ice-cream, lollies, biscuits, cakes, etc...and with this extra money you can purchase your 'healthy treat'.  There are heaps of good websites with simple and healthy recipes too....hope this helps somewhat....   

September 30, 2008, 8:15 am CDT

lifes to short to be worring about everything

Quote From: ajakimiak

wow, I don't mean to be mean when I say this to you, but quit playing the victim here.  I get up at 4:00 am every morning and don't get home from work till around 6:00pm.  I make a healthy breakfast every morning, and I brown bag it , that doesn't have to be boring, I don't eat fast food cause it makes me sick.  I take an assortment of supplements such as fish oil, folic acid, dhea, etc.  I do get a physical every year to make sure I am on the right track.  I am not thin, nor fat, I struggle with my weight every day.  I am 51 years old, past menopause, I also do not get enough sleep and am told I don't eat enough calories, but I can't put more food inside me, not because I don't have time, but because I am full from what I do eat.  I have also been through a nasty divorce and that too shall pass for you.  You cannot have such a negative attitude because you will never get out of  your rut that your are in.  People love you, let them in, ask for help, pay it forward and pray to God everyday for guidance and be thankful and grateful everyday.  Write to me if you want, I am sure you are a wonderful person.  You need to be positive everyday.

I JUST HAVE TO SAY IF THERE IS ANYTHING I LEARNED ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS IS THAT IT TAKES TIME AND SOMETIMES IT IS HARD TO LOOSE IT, BUT WHEN EVERY DAY LIFE INTERFEARS YOU HAVE TO KEEP ON MOVING AND TELL YOURSELF YOU ARE WORTH IT YOUR WORTH BEING HERE ON THIS PLANET JUST AS I AM AS WELL. AND IF YOU FEEL DEPRESSED YOU SHOULD SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP FOR IT.

September 30, 2008, 5:13 pm CDT

No Excuses Workout Tips…

Quote From: cm_charters

Ninja, I could've sworn I was reading my own post!  I too am a single mom who has her elderly dad living in with us... and run in streaks of healthy eating and exercise before I give in totally, and binge and give up on healthy habits. My theory (or maybe knowledge) is that we are missing something in our lives, so we turn to food for comfort. I believe it's how I deal with stress. Some days, trying to control the urge  just  makes it worse. I know how easy 3 doughnuts, or 10 cookies, or a box of snack crackers can be devoured... All the while telling yourself "It doesn't matter, I'll do better next week, but today I really want these ______" (fill in the blank with your favorite comfort food).

If you are like me, we are always there to take care of everyone else. And if we aren't it can be unbearable for us (the guilt). It's hard to remember that if we don't take care of ourselves, we might not be available to take care of anyone else. That all sounds good, I know, but I too have a hard time losing the excuses and doing what I know I need to do. It really is a viscious circle I've been dealing with my whole life. Do we just need support?

I tried a Medical Weight Loss Program in February of this year, and did fantastic on it, but had to put up with my dad's criticism and comments about eating "nothing but tea and crackers". I did it for about 4 weeks, and lost 15 lbs (which I have since added and subtracted again, twice) I ate regular sized portions, healthy snacks, and reduced sodium foods, paired with exercise. It just seems that without someone in my corner cheering for me, complimenting my efforts and encouraging me to succeed, I just don't see why I'm depriving myself of the "high' I get from eating the foods I know I should only enjoy in moderation. I guess It really is an addiction, and I'm not sure how to change that mindset, but I'm here to investigate the possibilities.

I'm so thankful Dr. Phil has this site!!! It's nice to be heard and understood! So thank you for your post. I know I'd be in a healthier place if I could just get my butt butt back to the Y. I went a week ago, and I was actually able to run a little more than a mile. That was a great feeling...I haven't really lost my endurance...but there's all that extra weight to lug around the track.  I do agree with you about missing "something." I look at my neighbor, and she's lost 50 pounds this year. BUT, she's got a husband who is very supportive and he even walks with her some evenings. I think once dad is back home and I've got him squared away with assisted living or some in home care, I will be able to get back on track. Money was extremely tight this summer, and I was not able to buy good foods! There is a lot of junk in my kitchen...didn't plan it that way though. I was constantly shuttling my dad and daughter from one doc appointment to another...with surgeries inbetween...fast food became our main staple some weeks. Payday is Friday, and I am so totally looking foward to taking my time buying healthy foods. I declared to my kids tonight that we are no longer going to be eathing junk! We deserve better and we will start by eating better.

I will be here for you as you trudge along the weight loss path. Keep me posted on your progress. I totally understand your situation! My dad said I've always had a compassionate nature since I was a toddler...guess that's why I'm working on a nursing degree...taking care of everyone else has always come first! We can do it! Hot mammas here we come!!!

October 2, 2008, 9:24 am CDT

No time for exercise??? OMG that was my excuse!!!

First of all, I am a busy mom to 3 wonderful, active kids.  A daughter, age 15 grade 10 involved in volleyball, SADD, Going Green, curling, badminton, drama, basketball, track, junior volunteer and anything else she can join throughout the school year, a daughter, grade 5 involved in gymnastics, volleyball, basketball, softball and any other afterschool activity that comes up.  I also have a son age 6 and in grade 1 this year.  He is involved in soccer, bowling and baseball.  Needless to say after school is a constant juggling act getting my little ones to all of the things they need to be at.  I also try and volunteer at the school and right now go in one afternoon a week.  I also live on an acreage and have a number of animals from saddle horses, a miniature cow, pygmy goats, pot belly pigs, a llama, miniature horses, miniature donkeys, rabbits, chickens, cats, dogs etc etc etc.  They also keep me very busy with cleaning the barn, pens, feeding, and just spending time with them.  My husband works away from home most of the time and is gone Monday to Friday.  When he is working around home it is usually a minimum of 12 hours per day, so I can not count on him to be around to help out a whole lot.  When he is he does pitch in though.  I was always active in school activities and was a slim 36-26-36 measurement.  I always thought I was fat though as I weighed 130 lbs throught highschool, now if only.  With having babies and a husband and all of the things that come with it, I ended up slacking and making excuses.  I had no time to exercise, when would I fit it in.  I was too tired to, the kids loved Mac & cheese, how could I not cook it.  I tried diets, even bought the Ultimate Weight Loss books, started them, but it didn't take.  I was reading them on the phone with my cousin that lives about 235 miles away.  But it never lasted.  About a month ago a friend of mine said she was joining the gym and asked if I would like to.  I said, "I am too busy right now to make that commitment and I don't want to join and not go, but bug me about it next month and I'll see."  The other day I was getting ready for bed and caught a look at myself in the mirror.....naked.  I could not believe what I was seeing.  I said to my husband, "look at my rolls, there are three of them across each side on my back.  My stomache looks like I am pregnant and my ass, Oh My God!  I look like a walrus!"  The next morning I got on facebook and put out a plea to a couple of my friends, who are skinny, that I needed help.  I said, "Call it charity work if you want, but I need you to join the gym with me (the friend that was going to hadn't joined yet).  So we met for breakfast the next morning, (multi grain bagels instead of the usual bacon & eggs and me with my veggie omlet with cheese and hashbrowns deepfried) and then it was off to the gym to check it out and join.  I was always intimidated by the gym, (small town, no trainers).  I found all the equipment intimidating and a routine scary to figure out.  Well they have a section in there that was once Curves and is included in the membership.  The friend I joined with has worked out before and knows how to make a routine and likes the weight room, but on the days she can't come, I know that I can go into the all womens section and do the cirrcut, no thinking involved, plus I tore some cartlidge in my knee, and bike riding is good for knees, so I did 30 min on the bike after a 40 min weight workout.  I felt GREAT!  Then I ran into another girl I know and mentioned I had just joined the gym.  She said, :"Ya, I should go, but I don't have time."  I looked at her out leisurely shopping and thought, why couldn't you go, it is only a half an hour to do the cirrcut.  Then it hit me like a tonne of bricks.  That is something I said to myself over and over again, and belived with all of my being.  Getting fit will take work, it will take juggling schedules, making changes, and sacrafices.  Today my 10 year old has volleyball, my 15 year old is helping coach it and my 6 year old has bowling after school.  I know I can fit in the cirrcut at the gym in about 45 min in and out, so I am going to town early and getting a workout before I pick up my little ones from school and run them around.  I pulled out my slow cooker recipe book so that I can make my meal in the morning and do not have that excuse to not go, supper will be ready when we walk in the door....we'll have a half hour and then back to town for the 15 year olds volley ball........it never stops......but at least I'll have the energy to keep up with them. 

October 7, 2008, 4:00 am CDT

Yes it takes time

I know It took years to get this heavy- and I want to reduce my mass. I find that if i am more moving and active it helps- I am not so depressed and I feel more productive- i am crocheting blankets /afagans for a local childrens home- and some scarves for the special olympics project. When i keep my hands busy I can not snack or eat so much- The Wii daily is fun too-

keeping it fun and different is the key- the support form folks here is wonderful as well-

I lost another 1.8 ppounds this weekand look forward to wiegh in day now instead of dreading it-

Will have to up my walking this week I am sure to continue on the loosing- Good luck to us all and NO excuses! LETS get Loosing!

First | Prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next | Last