Message Boards

Topic : No Excuses Workout Tips…

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, September 03, 2008, 12:29:42 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
No time, no equipment …  Sound familiar? The bottom line is there is NO EXCUSE for not eating right and exercising.  Share your no excuses strategies for staying fit!

More Weight Loss Support Message Boards

Find Weight Loss Buddies in Your Area

Weight Loss Member Support

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 11, 2008, 12:15 am CDT

Can't wait to get started

This is the time feeling hopeful.  Wish we had a group in our area.  But I have all you out there.. Looking forward to losing the first pound....

September 11, 2008, 1:35 am CDT

No Excuses Workout Tips…

I too am overweight. This is fairly new to me since for most of my life I didn't have to worry about it. I could eat anything I wanted and not gain an ounce. Since an early menopause (15 years ago) I've steadily gained a little weight each year. But the past few years have been the worst! Four years ago I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I managed to lose a few pounds early into the diabetic treatment, but now it's as if my body is telling me to eat all the time!! I want to eat even when I know I'm not really hungry. I know I need to exercise but I have lots of excuses for that too. I hate exercise!! Except dancing...which I could do in my living room when I was alone. But now my husband is retired and home ALL the time, my duaghter and son-in-law are living here for about a year with their new baby, so turning up the music and dancing isn't very appealing if even possible! I have plantar faciitis in my left foot which doesn't help matters. Gosh I sound so negative...Maybe I'll come back tomorrow and try a better attitude!! I am usually more optimistic than this!

September 11, 2008, 5:20 am CDT

No Excuses Workout Tips…

Quote From: cfenstermaker

I am so overweight and so sick of it!!

Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I want to make the right decisions about what I eat and how much movement I make.  I felt like it was a gift from God today when I was flipping the TV channels and ran into the Dr. Phil show about how so many of us Americans were out of control and so overweight.  I am hoping that I can get the help and support that I need to make the necessary changes here on this website.  I have a big problem with staying motivated and have very little self control.  I will try to get onto this site daily to seek help from all of you and hopefully give you the motivation and help that you may need.  I am going to start a diary here today too.  Let's do it and loose some weight folks :)

You are a beautiful woman and I feel your pain. Today as I watch my soaps, I will be watching from the floor. A few stomach crunchs, leg lifts and anything else I can do, I am committing myself. When I feel the urge to eat, I will drink water and walk a few minutes around the house. I am starting a food and exercise diary. We can do this, We will do this.  Lets get moving....

September 11, 2008, 5:54 am CDT

Okay let's do this

Quote From: janebug87

I think you read MY mind!!  I'm 42 and 50 lbs overweight...never, ever had a weight problem before, used to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted...then, like you said, over the last 6 years, it crept up on me.  I look in the mirror now and absolutely HATE my reflection.  I've never really dieted before, and I know I still have all my old bad habits from when I was thin, so this really is going to be a life-changing experience for me, too!  I think the hardest part for me is becoming more active...I work at home on the computer a couple hours a day, then it's laundry, cleaning, taxiing the kids every which way, and by the time dinner and homework are done, the last thing I want to do is work out!  But I know I've gotta do it!  The time is now!  I want to be able to enjoy life - my husband and I had a dream vacation to Hawaii in November and I surprised him with a vow renewal ceremony on the beach...looking at the pictures of it though, it's more like a nightmare than a dream!  I look like a beached whale compared to what I looked like when we first got married 17 years ago!  I don't need to be a size 6 again - just to feel good about myself and like what I see in the mirror, whatever that size is.  Anyway, I'm here for ya! 

My exercise plan right now  is to start walking my daughters dog (she couldn't take her when she moved) poor thing is in worse shape than me,(she was a large apartment dog).  So tonight by 9pm EST we will walk.  Check in on me okay.  I know that this is a small step but it's a step right?  What's your plan?

September 11, 2008, 6:02 am CDT

GOTTA START SOMEWHERE

Quote From: vtpastel

I am also 46 will be 47 next month.  I too would love to wake up thin   NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.  I would really be thankful to have a friend to help me through  this weight loss, And would help to get  you motivated as well.  A couple of years ago I was on the right path then as we all know life happens.  This is when you put yourself on hold and take care of everyone else.  And before you know it you look into the mirror and BOOM the you, you used to know isn't there.  WOW !!!!!!!!........ MAJOR DEPRESSION.  I  think we would have a positive start to rebuild a more rewarding future. Lets Kick our butts and minds into shape.
  I'm going to start walking the dog tonight instead of just letting her out the backyard, she needs it as much as myself.  Maybe some pictures on the fridge of "WHAT I DON'T LOOK LIKE THAT ANYMORE" Check on me later and I'll do the same. Gotta go to work.  Good Luck Everyone!

September 11, 2008, 6:10 am CDT

Thanks to Dr. Phil

I also saw the first weight loss show yesterday and will be educating myself with all the great information.  I am a young 60 years old and have lost and gained the same 15 pounds repeatedly.  My goal is to lose 60 pounds, be healthier, feel better, get off blood pressure meds.  I don't like using any medications other than vitamins.  I wish all the best to all the people trying this!!!  Keep Moving is a Huge Key.

September 11, 2008, 6:59 am CDT

Look the part

One thing that helps me is putting on some workout clothes that match, like if you have pink in your shoes, wear a pink top, etc. I think it's a confidence booster when you know you look just like one of those people on tv. Makes me feel less self-conscious because I know I look like I'm serious about it, and I am! :)

Even wearing a shirt or jersey of a favorite team or a t-shirt with a slogan of positive attitude would be cool, too.

September 11, 2008, 7:03 am CDT

No Excuses Workout Tips…

Quote From: kellybel1

OK....I feel down right  LAZY!!  I HATE to exercise!!  I do not work but I have acces to a full gym and swimming pool directly across the street at NO CHARGE!!!   Daily, I think I will go for 30 minutes but I DON'T go.....I do NOT know how to get myself motivated or how to STAY motivated!!  I have started great workout programs in the past only to quit after a month!!!   Exercise is sooooo boring, I don't know how to make it fun!! 

PLEASE, are there any tips to get my lazy butt motivated? 

Good Luck to EVERYONE!!!  Hugzzzzzzzz

It's a mindset, girlfriend!!!  I lugged suitcases down 6 flights of steps last night and thought I was gonna die!!!!  I tried to talk myself out of making the second trip down as I was huffing and puffing back up the steps from the first trip down, and thought, "naw....I can do this!!!"  I was smart enough to take the heaviest one first....Second trip down wasn't so bad and I congratulated myself the whole way for taking the heaviest first.  Then, on the second trip back up I told myself I'd reward myself for the first two trips by taking the elevator.  Felt ashamed, I had carried 2 big honkin' suit cases and was going to take the elevator for a cosmetic bag and bag of laundry????  Made no sense...took the steps....thought I'd be a wreck today, but to my surprise, I only feel pride in my accomplishment.

Mindset and self talk...You have to replace the negative thoughts with the positive ones.  You have to be your own best cheerleader!!!

I'll tell you what....you have the pool and gym right across the street.  So why don't you get your lazy butt off the couch, put on your tennies, and walk over there.  Hit the door with you hand and walk back home.  There!  You've moved, put muscles in motion!!!  Tomorrow, do the same thing, but go inside and walk around the whole place and scope it out.  Next day, bring a sweat towel and jump on a treadmill.  If you can't make the plunge, take baby steps.  Everyday do a little more.

I really do think most of us are afraid of success, I know I am, and I'm my worst saboteur!!!  When I see a big change in me it scares me and I revert back into my comfort zone.  Somehow we have to find out why we do that, then get beyond it.

Come on, Kiddo!!!!  YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

LOSERS DON'T MAKE EXCUSES!!!!

Patti

September 11, 2008, 7:05 am CDT

All of us can do it!

I am 54 years old.  When I was young I was a gymnast and so was in pretty good shape. For the last 10 years I've been listening to the "I've got excuses" part of my brain telling me that I don't have time to go to the gym, I don't want to eat the healthy foods. ( sweets and pastries are more tasty)

I have gone from a healthy weight of 120 lbs. to 150lbs in those10 years.

Last night I decided to make the time for exercise and so I hit the sack 30 minutes earlier than usual and woke up 30 minutes earlier to do my work out. It felt great! I exercised at home so there was no need to schedule time to go to the gym.

Taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking a little farther from the entrance of a store, taking a walk around the neighborhood with the grandkids. There's so many simple ways to get in a little exercise.

I am going to the grocery store today to purchase healthy food to begin the first day of the rest of my healthier life.

I will no longer listen to the "I've got excuses" part of my brain and will pay more attention to the " Nothing can stop me now!" part of my brain. We all can do it! 

September 11, 2008, 7:08 am CDT

sick and tired of being sick and tired

I am almost 35 years old and have been overweight since I was a child.  All my life I have been the fat girl in the room and am determined to improve my health as well as my self esteem.  I have 3 children of my own and a step daughter.  I want to do this not only for myself but for my children.  I want to show them that they don't have to be like their father and I that they can also choose to live a healthy life style.  I also want to have the energy to get out in the back yard and practice soccer with my 5 year old with out considering it torture.  On my own I have lost 53 pounds in the last 6 months but am starting to get bored and frustrated so I am looking forward to doing this with other people and getting excited about it again.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last