Message Boards

Topic : No Excuses Workout Tips…

Number of Replies: 224
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, September 03, 2008, 12:29:42 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
No time, no equipment …  Sound familiar? The bottom line is there is NO EXCUSE for not eating right and exercising.  Share your no excuses strategies for staying fit!

More Weight Loss Support Message Boards

Find Weight Loss Buddies in Your Area

Weight Loss Member Support

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 11, 2008, 7:13 am CDT

Look the part

One thing that works for me is matching my workout clothes to my workout shoes. It sounds simple, but it makes a difference. It feels like I'm more serious about working out when I look the part. A shirt or jersey from a favorite team would also work. Sometimes you have to "fake it until you make it" like Dr. Phil says.

September 11, 2008, 7:58 am CDT

No Excuses Workout Tips…

Quote From: ladykelleher

One thing that works for me is matching my workout clothes to my workout shoes. It sounds simple, but it makes a difference. It feels like I'm more serious about working out when I look the part. A shirt or jersey from a favorite team would also work. Sometimes you have to "fake it until you make it" like Dr. Phil says.

I think this is an excellent idea!!!  We dress the part to go to work, church, and the grocery store, so why shouldn't we dress the part to exercise??  It kinda puts you into the "ZONE".

When we put our workout clothes on, I feel we should get to work immediately, no answering the phone, throwing a load of wash over, checking our email.  We need to dress and get busy!!!

LOSERS DON'T MAKE EXCUSES!!!

Patti

September 11, 2008, 8:49 am CDT

No excuses...hmm still sitting! Not any more...

I'm 54, and was slim all my life.

In fact my dr and family were always trying to find ways to get me to eat more. Now, after going through menopause I have gone from 130 lbs to 165 lbs in 10 years.  I have never needed to eat the "right things", or excercise. I don't know the right foods to eat. I'm a very picky eater, therfore I'm always eating and enjoying the wrong foods.

Exercise! I don't do much. I lost my job. I get up with my son and make him breakfast each morning before school; and then usually go back to bed.

I just had an ahhh moment!!!!

I wrote in my title "No excuses...that's all I've talked about"...whew!

I need to decode and repattern.

I wouldn't be sitting here writing or reading if I didn't want to do something. Soooo.....

I need to start eating fruit and veggies.

I'll make a fruit smoothie for breakfast as my starting point. 

I have a black lab who needs walking. I usually just let her out the back. (I feel awful writing this...how cruel to my dog! How cruel to me!)

I'm going to take her and me for a 15-30 minute walk when I finish writing this.

Tomorrow, when I get up...I'm going to stay up and do some stretches. I'll find some exercises for my tummy and legs. 

What a turn around...

Thank you Dr. Phil for helping us out, and providing this community board to get me started.

I wish all of us luck, encouragement, and positive talk! 

Lefty.... 

September 11, 2008, 10:53 am CDT

Making it Fun

Quote From: kellybel1

OK....I feel down right  LAZY!!  I HATE to exercise!!  I do not work but I have acces to a full gym and swimming pool directly across the street at NO CHARGE!!!   Daily, I think I will go for 30 minutes but I DON'T go.....I do NOT know how to get myself motivated or how to STAY motivated!!  I have started great workout programs in the past only to quit after a month!!!   Exercise is sooooo boring, I don't know how to make it fun!! 

PLEASE, are there any tips to get my lazy butt motivated? 

Good Luck to EVERYONE!!!  Hugzzzzzzzz
The best tip is to create an exciting atmosphere for yourself, for example; if you like music - get your earbuds and your music and workout to the beat of your music; or if you like to dress up - get some great looking workout clothes but only allow yourself to wear them while workking out; if you like to relax and soothe yourself; get some great bubble baths, lotions and candles but relax only after a good "bust a sweat" workout.  How do we make a workout or exercise something to look forward to and to get excited about - I don't know, but good music always does the trick for me!

September 11, 2008, 11:13 am CDT

Starting a New Day!

Well, after coming back here this morning and reading all the new posts I have a new attitude and will to get started on being a "Loser"! I've decided that yes, exercise needs to be fun! So since I like to dance (walking/running is soooo boring), and my house is too full of people, I am going to go into my bed room with some headphones and turn up the music and dance until I sweat! I did this a couple of years ago when I had my house to myself and it worked ...should have never stopped. So, bum foot and all I'm starting a new day and a new way of being nicer to myself! Hmmm, just thought about the food thing again...what's for breakfast? Being diabetic and a fairly picky eater really lowers the choices. I think I'll try to get by on a protein drink and see what happens! :) maybe I'll lose an ounce or two! Good Luck Everyone! I'll be checking back a couple of times a day to read all your ideas on how to get into this new life of ours! Your posts have really helped me get into this!

September 11, 2008, 11:35 am CDT

no motivation

Quote From: address4me

The best tip is to create an exciting atmosphere for yourself, for example; if you like music - get your earbuds and your music and workout to the beat of your music; or if you like to dress up - get some great looking workout clothes but only allow yourself to wear them while workking out; if you like to relax and soothe yourself; get some great bubble baths, lotions and candles but relax only after a good "bust a sweat" workout.  How do we make a workout or exercise something to look forward to and to get excited about - I don't know, but good music always does the trick for me!

i find that if im working toward something other than weight loss, such as a race, or some sort of competition, that really keeps me motivated.

track yourself, try to beat your previous time, or number of reps, make it a competition with yourself if you don't yet feel comfortable signing up for a challenge. If you run at all, you could schedule a 5k race?

i like to keep a log, so i can go back and see my improvment!

don't know if these things would work for you, but that is what keeps me coming back....i don't look at it as working out to lose weight, but that happens as you go too!

i also find if i need to workout, but dont feel like it, i read an exercise or running magazine, just before i get ready to go, and that usually mentally prepares me.

good luck!

September 11, 2008, 11:53 am CDT

Need a Friend

I am a 50n yr old mother of 3 grown childern and 1 grandchild have been married for 32 yrs to the same man( Iknow that is hard for some of you to believe but what ca I say.  I am not trying to change the world just my dress size.  I hope through this message board I can find a kindred spirit that helps me along.  I would like toi loose about 50 lbs.  and then set a new goal I could probably stand to loose 75 lbs.  I know I will not weigh 125 anymore but would settle for150-160.  Just so I could go into any store and buy a dress off the rack.  I enjoy eating food I love to cook so the 2 just go hand in hand.  Hence I have gained 70 lbs through my adult life.  I would like to go the beach and not hide behind my towel. You know what I mean.  So here goes I am selling my business so am going into a new life style after 15 yrs of being a business owner I will have more free time to exercise (or so  I tell myself)so I want to start a new life.  scrapbookgirl

September 11, 2008, 12:16 pm CDT

No Excuses Workout Tips…

hello i am 27 years old and started working out and changing my eating habits. but there is one thing i am having trouble with soda. i am trying to stop drinking it but i get bad headaches at the end of the day when i dont drink it. any suggestions would be great on what to do

thanks

September 11, 2008, 12:38 pm CDT

stopping soda

Quote From: bricrismil

hello i am 27 years old and started working out and changing my eating habits. but there is one thing i am having trouble with soda. i am trying to stop drinking it but i get bad headaches at the end of the day when i dont drink it. any suggestions would be great on what to do

thanks

unsure if you are talking about regular soda or diet.  Switching to Diet sounds hard but after just a week or so it gets easier.  If you are talking about soda all together than you will aventually stop having those caffeine withdrawal headaches, just takes time.

September 11, 2008, 12:56 pm CDT

My favorite trick

Quote From: janebug87

I think you read MY mind!!  I'm 42 and 50 lbs overweight...never, ever had a weight problem before, used to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted...then, like you said, over the last 6 years, it crept up on me.  I look in the mirror now and absolutely HATE my reflection.  I've never really dieted before, and I know I still have all my old bad habits from when I was thin, so this really is going to be a life-changing experience for me, too!  I think the hardest part for me is becoming more active...I work at home on the computer a couple hours a day, then it's laundry, cleaning, taxiing the kids every which way, and by the time dinner and homework are done, the last thing I want to do is work out!  But I know I've gotta do it!  The time is now!  I want to be able to enjoy life - my husband and I had a dream vacation to Hawaii in November and I surprised him with a vow renewal ceremony on the beach...looking at the pictures of it though, it's more like a nightmare than a dream!  I look like a beached whale compared to what I looked like when we first got married 17 years ago!  I don't need to be a size 6 again - just to feel good about myself and like what I see in the mirror, whatever that size is.  Anyway, I'm here for ya! 
One of my favorite tricks is putting the dance music station on tv while I clean, I can't stop dancing and singing and I usually work up a pretty good sweat.  Now if I could only get myself to clean more often I would have a fun workout and a clean house!!!

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last