Message Boards

Topic : Join the 50 Pound Club

Number of Replies: 495
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, September 04, 2008, 11:07:52 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Are you trying to lose, or have you lost 50 lbs or more using Dr. Phil’s Seven Keys to Weight Loss Freedom?  Help encourage others by sharing your experiences, photos and videos!

More Weight Loss Support Message Boards

Find Weight Loss Buddies in Your Area

Weight Loss Member Support

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 3, 2008, 8:07 pm CST

Welcome Back Brenda

Glad to see you back to post again. Yea , we all have our challenges to face with all the holiday goodies every where you go to shop, on TV and at every one's house you visit.  Heck even at my house. I made chocolate chip cookies today for the rest of the family. I just keep telling myself that as good as I know they would taste, it is just not worth the sabotaging effect it would have on all the hard work I have put in. I have worked really hard to accomplish this 43 lb.  loss , so I just am not going to blow it now. In answer to your question about how I have lost the weight. Well here are the rules I have lived by since Sept 12th when I started. No dieting. Just common sense. 

1. No sodas ( mostly water and iced tea with splenda)

2. No chips. (my real weakness) If I get the unbearable craving, I eat a few whole wheat crackers or a granola bar.

3. I have totally stayed away from pastries and candy.

4. I eat three healthy meals a day full of fresh fruits and vegetables and at least one source of protein included in each meal. The protein keeps me from being hungry and I really think it helps me from craving other unhealthy choices. I try to keep my portions at the normal 4oz of meat and a normal serving of everything else. Not half of the entire big family size bowl as I have done in the past.

5.My in between meal snack (if I desire one) is usually more fruit or fat free yogurt or 1oz. of cheese or dry cereal or popcorn. ( again substituting for the chips) Usually I don't even need a snack.

6. AND When I eat bread or pasta or crackers, they have to be wheat or rye. I don't eat anything made with white flour. 

AND THATS MY SECRET. BASICALLY JUST SENSABLE, HEALTHY EATING.

I kept track of the calories for the first month when I was training myself to my new eating habits and each day ran between 1200-1600 calories. Now I don't keep track any more. I know when I am about to over eat or make the wrong choice and I immediately put a stop to it.  I am pretty committed to doing this as a lasting life change so I don't allow myself too many screw ups. It's just too important to my health and my self esteem. I AM GOING TO DO THIS AND YOU CAN TOO!!!!!

Hope this info helps. You just have to set up a plan that works for YOU and then STICK to it. It really is that simple. And you just need to remind yourself YOU are worth the effort.

Well, I've rambled on long enough. BYE for now.

Nancy

December 5, 2008, 12:46 pm CST

healthy eating verses dieting

Hello everyone,

I finally have a free moment to post while on a computer hooked to high speed internet (I can't post or read on my dial-up at home). Sounds like everyone survived turkey day. Going out for dinner worked well for me. Got to have good food, but nothing was my normal "favorite" so I enjoyed without over-indulging. I did have a wonderful butternut squash soup. I am going to attempt to recreate it tonight for dinner.

Nancy, I think your last post is a great remindered for all of us still sticking wtih it and those who are just starting. This is a lifesytle change, not a diet. Holidays will always be around and probably a challenge for most of us. It's not "how am I going to make it through this holiday?", but more importantly "how can I change so I enjoy all holidays without hurting my health and weight?". It's different for all of us and figuring it out can be a challenge.

I enjoyed reading your steps you've taken to lose your 40+ pounds so far, but would like to add being active and exercising into the mix. It's just as important when working towards a healthy life.

How's everyone doing with the exercise in the winter? I've had to really revamp my plans. I now jog in my basement since it's so cold outside and getting too icy to get to the gym in the morning. I'm always looking for creative ideas to mix up my workout.

Have a great weekend everyone. I'm off to the grocery store - I'm out of salad!

Ellahni

December 5, 2008, 3:15 pm CST

Exercise very important

Quote From: ellahni

Hello everyone,

I finally have a free moment to post while on a computer hooked to high speed internet (I can't post or read on my dial-up at home). Sounds like everyone survived turkey day. Going out for dinner worked well for me. Got to have good food, but nothing was my normal "favorite" so I enjoyed without over-indulging. I did have a wonderful butternut squash soup. I am going to attempt to recreate it tonight for dinner.

Nancy, I think your last post is a great remindered for all of us still sticking wtih it and those who are just starting. This is a lifesytle change, not a diet. Holidays will always be around and probably a challenge for most of us. It's not "how am I going to make it through this holiday?", but more importantly "how can I change so I enjoy all holidays without hurting my health and weight?". It's different for all of us and figuring it out can be a challenge.

I enjoyed reading your steps you've taken to lose your 40+ pounds so far, but would like to add being active and exercising into the mix. It's just as important when working towards a healthy life.

How's everyone doing with the exercise in the winter? I've had to really revamp my plans. I now jog in my basement since it's so cold outside and getting too icy to get to the gym in the morning. I'm always looking for creative ideas to mix up my workout.

Have a great weekend everyone. I'm off to the grocery store - I'm out of salad!

Ellahni

Hey Ellahni,

Glad you enjoyed the holiday without over-indulging.

You are so right about the exercise. As much as I have to force myself to do it sometimes, I realise how important it is to my success in loosing this weight and getting myself as healthy as I possibly can.   With out doing the exercise, I know I would not be loosing nearly as fast or as much. And I also admit that I feel so much stronger and in control after the exercise, that it is worth all the effort it takes to get me out the door. Luckily, here in Florida, I can enjoy the outdoors almost every day. On the occasional rainy or cold day, I do have a gazelle and weights.  I much prefer outside  though,so I take full advantage of being able to do it. I feel for you and everybody else who has to endure the long cold winters. That would make exercise time much more of a challenge. Do-able of course, but it takes much more planning. Keep up the good work.

Well  I need to start dinner so "Bye" for now.

Take care

Nancy

December 8, 2008, 10:57 am CST

Where is everyone???

Hi Guys,

Haven't seen any new posts for a few days. Hope all of you are still hanging there and having a great week.

Monday is my weigh in day. Very happy to report another good week. Another 5 pounds gone. Yippee!!!!

I didn't really expect 5 lbs. but I will be more than happy to take it. I did a couple of extra walks this week so maybe that is the explanation. Anyway I am officially under 200 LBS. now.  Only by 1 pound but it's a big deal to get there. And it's a line  I never plan on crossing again. I saw a few of you mentioning in your last posts, that you are also crossing or real close to crossing that plateau too. Well,it feels great doesn't it? I know I haven't been here in quite a while.

Now I am only looking forward. Working toward each new goal a little at a time. I think the coolest part about all of this whole process is all of the little things that I keep finding out about myself. Things that I had always restricted myself from doing because of my weight. Now I have to stop and ask myself, WHY CAN'T YOU DO THAT ? And my Smart Alic inner self says, " Hey, humongous chick doesn't live here anymore, so GO FOR IT !     Then when I go ahead and do it and it works out great, I just smile.  PRETTY AWESOME!

Anyway enough about me. I want to hear updates from all of you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Take care ! 

Nancy

December 9, 2008, 8:15 am CST

AM I ALL ALONE ? ? ?

H E L L O !

ANY BODY HOME ? ?

December 9, 2008, 9:56 am CST

Congratulations Nancy!

Quote From: todayishere

Hi Guys,

Haven't seen any new posts for a few days. Hope all of you are still hanging there and having a great week.

Monday is my weigh in day. Very happy to report another good week. Another 5 pounds gone. Yippee!!!!

I didn't really expect 5 lbs. but I will be more than happy to take it. I did a couple of extra walks this week so maybe that is the explanation. Anyway I am officially under 200 LBS. now.  Only by 1 pound but it's a big deal to get there. And it's a line  I never plan on crossing again. I saw a few of you mentioning in your last posts, that you are also crossing or real close to crossing that plateau too. Well,it feels great doesn't it? I know I haven't been here in quite a while.

Now I am only looking forward. Working toward each new goal a little at a time. I think the coolest part about all of this whole process is all of the little things that I keep finding out about myself. Things that I had always restricted myself from doing because of my weight. Now I have to stop and ask myself, WHY CAN'T YOU DO THAT ? And my Smart Alic inner self says, " Hey, humongous chick doesn't live here anymore, so GO FOR IT !     Then when I go ahead and do it and it works out great, I just smile.  PRETTY AWESOME!

Anyway enough about me. I want to hear updates from all of you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Take care ! 

Nancy

Just wanted to shout out a WOO-HOO to you Nancy! Congratulations on hitting the "under 200 lbs" mark. Awesome! I'm so proud of you!

Keep up the good work...

Ellahni

December 11, 2008, 9:09 am CST

Thank You!

Quote From: ellahni

Just wanted to shout out a WOO-HOO to you Nancy! Congratulations on hitting the "under 200 lbs" mark. Awesome! I'm so proud of you!

Keep up the good work...

Ellahni

Hi Ellahni

Just wanted to thank you for the kind words of support. They  help a lot. Just knowing I have to report my results here,  good or bad, keeps me focused. Also very glad to see I am not alone on this board. Where has everyone else gone? Seems like there are very few new posts these days. I sure hope it is just because everyone is busy. I'd hate to think it is because they are giving up. We know we can't do that.  This is way too important. This time of year is hard with all the extra temptations, but we still have to stay accountable for what we eat, GOOD or BAD. If you make bad choices, you just have to face the music, admit to yourself that you screwed up and stop beating yourself up over it. Just move forward and do better. Or at least that's how I try to look at it anyway. But GIVING UP is not even an option. I've worked too hard to get this far.

Having said all that. EVERYONE HANG IN THERE AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.  (and post soon !)

Bye for now

Nancy

December 14, 2008, 5:51 pm CST

Yes. I'm still here

Hello. It's been busy but I'm still hanging in there. I gained last week after being sick the week before. I lost 1 pound this week. I've not been doing as well and the number tells all. I'm getting back on track this week.  It's amazing how much some have lost. Good job on the under 200!!!! I'm at 202 now. Hopefully 199 next week. That would be nice. Keep up the good work everybody.

Sherri

December 16, 2008, 7:59 pm CST

weighing in

Hi Everyone

Just checking in. I usually post my weigh in results on Mondays, but just never made it here yesterday. I spent most of the day Christmas shopping. Hey that had to count for a good work out. Dodging all those people and walking myself to death , trying to figure out what to buy. If nothing else I lost brain weight from working it so hard. Ha !

No weight loss though this week. Stayed exactly the same even though I stayed completely on track eating and exercising. I know that happens sometimes so I 'll just keep pushing on. Hopefully next Monday will show results. Each day I feel stronger and have so much energy. That is a great feeling.

Hope everyone is doing okay. Still not very many new posts. Sherri glad to see you are still here checking in.  Keep it up girl!

You all take care!

Nancy

December 17, 2008, 3:51 am CST

Hang in there

Quote From: todayishere

Hi Everyone

Just checking in. I usually post my weigh in results on Mondays, but just never made it here yesterday. I spent most of the day Christmas shopping. Hey that had to count for a good work out. Dodging all those people and walking myself to death , trying to figure out what to buy. If nothing else I lost brain weight from working it so hard. Ha !

No weight loss though this week. Stayed exactly the same even though I stayed completely on track eating and exercising. I know that happens sometimes so I 'll just keep pushing on. Hopefully next Monday will show results. Each day I feel stronger and have so much energy. That is a great feeling.

Hope everyone is doing okay. Still not very many new posts. Sherri glad to see you are still here checking in.  Keep it up girl!

You all take care!

Nancy

Hi Nancy

Staying the same is fine with all of that weight you've lost. You are doing great. Next week will be huge. Keep up the good work. You know you are winning the race because you feel stronger and have more energy.

Sherri

First | Prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | Next | Last