Message Boards

Topic : 05/28 Busted Online

Number of Replies: 188
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, September 04, 2008, 12:06:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/08/2008) Parents, listen up! If your child has an online profile, he or she could be one click away from disaster. We’re living in a digital world, where photos can be published online for the world to see in an instant. What you or your child might find acceptable might not be acceptable to college recruiters, potential employers or even the police. Former Miss Washington Elyse Umemoto knows all too well the pitfalls of private photos posted online. After being crowned Miss Seattle in 2007, she posed for pictures while celebrating with friends. When the snapshots ended up on the Internet, she landed in the middle of a scandal. Now she worries how it will affect her future. Then, a college student and a recent graduate meet with a job recruiter to perfect their interviewing skills. Find out what the job recruiter saw online that he thinks might keep them from being hired. And, don’t miss how one college student’s online profile may have helped land him in prison! If you think your digital photos are for your eyes only, think again. What you post on MySpace or Facebook could lead to serious consequences. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 28, 2009, 7:54 pm CDT

05/28 Busted Online

Quote From: jacksonsfire

I find it pathetic that employers feel your judgment is flawed because you post a photo on your Facebook page, for your friends reflecting a moment in time.  Your behavior outside of the company should have nothing to do with your ability to perform a job, and it certainly has nothing to do with your judgment.  Many key professionals in a variety of industries have participated in behaviors during their youth and even in later years that might not shed a good light to the prudish folks so willing to judge others.

This trend to form conclusions on people outside of work has created a new generation of age discrimination, racial discrimination, and assorted other illegal hiring practices.  What happened to performance and skills?  What happened to stellar references?  Now we check credit, in a downturned economy, where foreclosures are on the rise. We insist that employees over 50 are "overqualified," which is blatent terminology for age discrimination.  I think we are trending towards a country where corporations have gone back to a mentality where they control individual lives, much like during the Industrial Revolution, when Unions were needed to control corporate abuse. 

A Facebook page is not the complete mindset of the individual.  It is a part of the individual and for an employer to form conclusions about the judgment of an individual over a photo or two is ridiculous.  To approach human beings with such a narrow perspective explains why so many Americans are out of work for simply being "human."  Maybe when corporations have narrowed hiring down to only the goody two shoes of society, people who lack imagination and creativity, and when profits spiral downward from such narrow mindedness, we will see why Europeans and other countries put us to shame in a global economy. 

I'd much rather hire a gal that demonstrated her social life online than an emotional wallflower, who may be running to HR with a series of problems because she can't adapt to others.  At least I know that social person has the ability to get along with others.  I find Dr. Phil ridiculous for promoting this type of corporate arrogance.  And I think this is one of the reasons that so many corporations demonstrate such a lack of professionalism in their communications and other materials.  We  have given license to corporate executives who have proven they sometimes participate in sex tourism, who feel they can judge normal behavior.
I agree with you 1000%

May 28, 2009, 11:57 pm CDT

Busted Thoughts

I am a 23 year old graduate student who was kind of frustrated over this show. I have always been, since high school, the person who takes all of the pictures and posts them somewhere. Right now I have around 2000 pictures on Facebook. Yes I do have them all set to private so only my friends can see them. Im sure somebody would be able to get to them if they really tried although FB has been getting better about privacy. Either way I would never take a picture down and if an employer asked I would show them my page. I have a ton of pictures of me on my fabulous internships/conferences (New Orleans, Denver, Alaska) and vacations (Disney/Discovery Cove/Glacier Tours). I also have pictures of the few (let me say maybe 3 -5 albums) of me drinking with my friends. If someone is going to judge me - a person, an interviewer, a parent - over something that everybody does, I dont need them. Everybody has done something and people reputations by word of mouth are more serious than a pictures of one night. If they will judge me on that, I dont want to work for them. I am studying to be a Professor of Chemistry. My professors in my undergrad told us stories of let put it as not such good things that they did when they were in Grad School. I also went to New Orleans for a conference and saw the "head honchos" of major companies wasted.

This sounds totally "bitchy" of me but when all of the prudes who think taking a pictures of drinking retire, people like me will be moving in and be more understanding. Pictures of sex, excessive (tons of) pictures of drinking (as in thats the only pictures they have), and drug use I think should be judged because thats what they do. But one night of pictures (or several over time) does not reflect a person.

May 29, 2009, 5:20 am CDT

huh?

Quote From: cwalters86

The show today made me quite angry.  Most of you posting negative comments about the Miss washington, or anybody else who drinks and takes photos are such hypocrits.  You have all done it, and if you have children, trust me their doing it worse. 

Also, I found the story regardiing the car crash and the photos taken of the young man to be extremely bothersome.  All the other guests on the show were given the choice of whether or not their photos could be shown, and not to mention, all of them had the oppurtunity to defend and explain themselves.  The only person who should be talking about how this jail bird picture affected their life, should be Josh himself, not his victim.  Its obviouse she has a very biased view point.  Granted she was hurt and I am not condoning drinking and driving, but that is another reality, everyone has gotten behind a wheel when they shouldnt.  Doesnt make all of us horrible people, it makes us human, and the only person with the right to explain how they were feeling was Josh, not anybody else.
You seem to have a lot of knowledge about what "everybody" has or has not done. Where do you get your statistics?

May 29, 2009, 5:24 am CDT

everyone

Quote From: cutiepye5504

Watching todays show I feel confused on how a potential employer has the right to look you up online to see what you have done in your past. I am sure everyone has done something in their past they are not proud of, I feel that just because we have new technology does not mean people have the right to seek out information that does not have anything to do with them; Like Ms .Washington she did not intend for her pictures to be used against her but they were ... has it really come down to checking people out online to see who they are or should we go back to old school where people meet you and take that first impression and form and opinion from there. I am sure Everyone has a skeleton in their closet that they don't want let out. Sometimes I think no-one has any privacy anymore.

Well, everyone has the right to look you up online if you're in a public domain. Whether it's fair or not, that's what's happening. If you're a public figure you have to be even more careful. C'est la vie!

May 29, 2009, 5:35 am CDT

Yes they can

Quote From: tessprof

I have NEVER had a PHOTO taken of me like that or even near such behavior. I had parents who raised me with manners and grace.  You are generalizing.
Of course there are countless people who can say they have never had pictures like this taken! You must be very young to believe that "everybody" does this. There are other worlds besides yours.

May 29, 2009, 5:47 am CDT

huh?

Quote From: bella13

I think that the mom who said that she wouldn't let her son date the beauty queen was ridiculous.  She is sitting there acting like her sons never did anything inappropriate.  So she was drinking and stuck her middle finger up at the camera.  That doesn't mean she isn't a good person.  She just won the crown!  She was happy and excited.  I don't think that anybody who is in the public eye should automatically be looked to as a role model.  Unless the person says," Hey, I am going  to be famous and be a role model," the public should stop looking at people like that.  This is going off subject, but take Miley and her "racy" pics.  Why should she be considered a role model?  Just because young girls look up to her.  She never said that is what she wanted to be.  She wants to be an actress and a singer, not a babysitter.  I for one have never looked up to anybody, famous or not.  My family was definitely not the type to look up to.  When I see stars doing crazy, reckless things, I don't say to myself that I am going to do it.  I do what I like.  It is up to the parents to advise and talk with their children.  Ultimately it is up to the kids, though.  On my own, I have decided that I don't want to turn out like my parents and relatives.  So I make sure not to do what they did.  I see celebritys everywhere doing those bad things, even the celebs that I like, but I'm not going to do it.

Back to topic: 

I don't think that it is a bad idea to have pictures online of drinking.  I would advise people agaisn't putting illegal pictures up, but I think that is common sense.  Future employers have no right to check out our private pages and look at our pictures.   "Hey she drinks, we aren't going to hire her."  I have a bunch of pictures up on my pages.  (Both are set to private, where only friends can see my pictures, and I also don't add people I don't know.)  But to say that having a couple or even a bunch of drinking picturse up is going to ruin us is ridiculous.  Who is to say that maybe all those pictures are from a year ago?  Or maybe over the course of two years?  Who say's those drinking pictures mean that you are a partier?  We may only go out once a month, once every couple months...  So should I take down the pictures of me drinking on vacation?  Or at a football game?  Just because a person drinks doesn't mean they are not a hard worker. 

This episode just really annoyed me.  Pictures online are just like a photo album.  Just this way, friends who don't live close to you can see them, and you don't have to print out copies and spend money.  Just put them online.  It doesn't have to be the end all, dire situation.  Hell, I don't want to work at a job, where they aren't going to hire me because of my pictures online, even though I may be overqualified for the position. 

What don't you get??? The title of a beauty queen (so demeaning to women anyway) has always had the role model thing attached to it. It's the way it is. Do I personally think what she did was horrible? No. I've done much worse in my life. However, to get to the point of being crowned Miss Washington, she had to have been in many other pageants. That title winners are expected to behave like role models is no secret to anyone. I'm assuming that it is the very young who are on here outraged and saying this isn't fair, and employers shouldn't be allowed to do that, etc. Well, that's the way it is. She knew it, and she had to have known she was a role model...anyone that is in any "beauty" pageant knows this. The show was actually a cautionary tale. Perhaps all of you who are incensed about this should unite and organize a march on Washington to gain nude photo rights.

May 29, 2009, 5:49 am CDT

05/28 Busted Online

Quote From: doghead149

Would it even be legal for prospective employers to base their hiring decisions on someone's personal profiles?  Think about it.  An interviewer is not allowed to ask you if you are married or single, have kids, your age, sexual orientation, what you do during your free time, if you like to drink socially or yell and joke around with your friends etc. So wouldn't them basing their decision to hire you on looking at a profile that shows you in your personal life be just as illegal and off limits? Granted you don't know if they actually viewed it, but that can be fixed easily by just making all of your Myspace or Facebook profiles private.  If someone who interviews you then asks to be your friend on either of these sites, how appropriate would that be?
But these profiles are in the public domain. The employers don't have to ask any questions...the answers are online. Everyone has a right to public domain...employers are part of the public.

June 3, 2009, 11:04 am CDT

websites

I just want to know how a person can look at your profile if it is set to private? I can't, or I don't know how to do it. And on face book everyone is private until they add a friend. My tagged and myspace accounts are open to anyone so I understand how someone can look at my pictures, etc. But if I set them to private, no one is suppose to be able to see them except the people on my friends list. Are we all being fooled? And I am stating for the record I do not like the feature myspace added so that people can print out your pictures. That is how scammers get photos to use! You think you are making friends with someone in a different state and it turns out to be a scammer in another country.

First | Prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | Next Page | Last Page