Message Boards

Topic : 05/28 Busted Online

Number of Replies: 188
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, September 04, 2008, 12:06:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 09/08/2008) Parents, listen up! If your child has an online profile, he or she could be one click away from disaster. We’re living in a digital world, where photos can be published online for the world to see in an instant. What you or your child might find acceptable might not be acceptable to college recruiters, potential employers or even the police. Former Miss Washington Elyse Umemoto knows all too well the pitfalls of private photos posted online. After being crowned Miss Seattle in 2007, she posed for pictures while celebrating with friends. When the snapshots ended up on the Internet, she landed in the middle of a scandal. Now she worries how it will affect her future. Then, a college student and a recent graduate meet with a job recruiter to perfect their interviewing skills. Find out what the job recruiter saw online that he thinks might keep them from being hired. And, don’t miss how one college student’s online profile may have helped land him in prison! If you think your digital photos are for your eyes only, think again. What you post on MySpace or Facebook could lead to serious consequences. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 8, 2008, 12:53 pm CDT

Online Profiles

I was looking forward to season 7 premiere and it rocked.

There are a lot of adults who have online profiles also.  I have 2 online profiles that are used for family and friends who live far away, and also for fun.  My oldest daughter who is 11 wants a online profile, but she is not gonna get one yet.  My daughters thinks that because you type a famous persons name in the search of my space that it is really that person.  I keep telling them that  it is not true.  If you don't believe me try it and see. You would not believe how many people will have my space pages listed under famous peoples names, including Dr Phil.

September 8, 2008, 1:07 pm CDT

Take a stand!

I also agree that a person should not be hired based on what they do in their personal life...it is their own business...it doesn't mean that they will be the same way at work.  You could have a model employee that goes out every night and parties...in fact, I know those people.  As long as it doesn't affect work, or hurt anyone, it shouldn't matter. 

As far as Miss Washington goes...good for you!  I am glad that she does not take back what she did.  I saw nothing in those pictures that made me think that she was any different from many, many other girls her age.  Just because she likes to go out and have fun with her friends here and there does not make her a "party girl".  What girls don't like getting together with their friends, acting goofy and having a good time??  I understand that she was wearing her crown and giving the finger may not have been the best choice of action at that moment, but no one is perfect...I give praise to the person who has managed to live their live in pure perfection, never making a bad choice or decision...good for you!  Must be tough to be that perfect all the time!

I don't think that she was doing anything wrong.  She was celebrating with her friends and she is a grown woman, she is allowed to do whatever she likes.  I realize that she had a crown and that girls look up to her but girls also look up to their big sisters who do the same thing!  She has no obligation to these girls.  Do mothers expect to see role models that sit home every Saturday night, read the Bible and knit??  BORING!  ...and not reality!  You want your child to have a role model that is a human being, one that is not perfect and makes mistakes but one that learns from them.  Don't get me wrong I think the phenomenon of Paris' and Lindsay's is disgusting but they are a few that have taken it to another level...

As far as the mother who said that she would not want her boys dating her...I don't think she'll lose much sleep over it...oh and btw, what kind of girls do you think your boys are dating? Nuns?  Have a little more decency then to take someone at face value...would you want all the people in your life that you care about to have turned you away b/c of some mistakes that you made in your past?  Or maybe your one of the people that managed to get by not making one...

I am nearly 30 and I am a school counselor...I still go out with my friends here and there and I went out with my friends all through college...I had fun and I got an education and now I have a job helping children...Cheers to me! 

September 8, 2008, 1:23 pm CDT

09/08 Busted Online

I think that the mom who said that she wouldn't let her son date the beauty queen was ridiculous.  She is sitting there acting like her sons never did anything inappropriate.  So she was drinking and stuck her middle finger up at the camera.  That doesn't mean she isn't a good person.  She just won the crown!  She was happy and excited.  I don't think that anybody who is in the public eye should automatically be looked to as a role model.  Unless the person says," Hey, I am going  to be famous and be a role model," the public should stop looking at people like that.  This is going off subject, but take Miley and her "racy" pics.  Why should she be considered a role model?  Just because young girls look up to her.  She never said that is what she wanted to be.  She wants to be an actress and a singer, not a babysitter.  I for one have never looked up to anybody, famous or not.  My family was definitely not the type to look up to.  When I see stars doing crazy, reckless things, I don't say to myself that I am going to do it.  I do what I like.  It is up to the parents to advise and talk with their children.  Ultimately it is up to the kids, though.  On my own, I have decided that I don't want to turn out like my parents and relatives.  So I make sure not to do what they did.  I see celebritys everywhere doing those bad things, even the celebs that I like, but I'm not going to do it.

Back to topic: 

I don't think that it is a bad idea to have pictures online of drinking.  I would advise people agaisn't putting illegal pictures up, but I think that is common sense.  Future employers have no right to check out our private pages and look at our pictures.   "Hey she drinks, we aren't going to hire her."  I have a bunch of pictures up on my pages.  (Both are set to private, where only friends can see my pictures, and I also don't add people I don't know.)  But to say that having a couple or even a bunch of drinking picturse up is going to ruin us is ridiculous.  Who is to say that maybe all those pictures are from a year ago?  Or maybe over the course of two years?  Who say's those drinking pictures mean that you are a partier?  We may only go out once a month, once every couple months...  So should I take down the pictures of me drinking on vacation?  Or at a football game?  Just because a person drinks doesn't mean they are not a hard worker. 

This episode just really annoyed me.  Pictures online are just like a photo album.  Just this way, friends who don't live close to you can see them, and you don't have to print out copies and spend money.  Just put them online.  It doesn't have to be the end all, dire situation.  Hell, I don't want to work at a job, where they aren't going to hire me because of my pictures online, even though I may be overqualified for the position. 

September 8, 2008, 1:37 pm CDT

Fake people getting caught!

When I watched the story about getting caught online I was pleased to see Miss Washington get what she deserves.  Too many times people put on a 'goodie two shoes'  front when it's most important, but secretly they are very different people and that comes out when you see these pictures posted online - that is who they really are!!!  I wonder about the ladies who lost the crown to Miss Washington and how they felt after seeing those pictures.  They must've felt pretty betrayed.  Pictures on facebook and myspace are pictures of what's going on in their lives - and if they are acting wild, crazy and dressing in their underwear any where near a camera, they get what they deserve!

September 8, 2008, 1:38 pm CDT

Elyse's story

What happened to that girl is horrible!!

You live your life to the best of your ability and in ONE moment in time, you're labeled "not so good"....
wth??
that's not fair and it just goes to show you how many hypocrites there are out there in this world.  No one, absolutely no one is perfect....
I support the girl!! My heart goes out to her....and I'm sorry that happened to her...

I tell my girls, "It may take a lifetime to achieve something that 3 seconds can destroy"....

Don't be envious!  Be better!

September 8, 2008, 1:41 pm CDT

Grow up Beauty Queen

This beauty queen actually SAID that this was a "typical" weekend with her friends. While she might not have been in public, her behavior was not appropriate.  I applaud the Mom for not wanting her sons to date someone who would make these choices.  I'm sick of the excuses from these people who want to portray these images and then whine when things don't go their way...be accountable...grow up.

September 8, 2008, 1:48 pm CDT

WARNING

This show highlites some extremely important issues that I passed on to my university student's, although most ignored my warning.

The photographs of this young girl, Ms. Washington showed who she really is. Her reputation is tarnished forever. I also agree with the audience member...that I would not want her dating my son. She does not feel remorse or shame for those photos which says everything about her.

Where are the parents!

September 8, 2008, 1:56 pm CDT

Fed Up!!

I am still watching this show and had to become a member so I could have my say!  I am so tired of liars!  Miss Seattle/Washington is upset because of these photos?  She says that is isn't who she really is? She is a liar!!!

It is who she is because she did it!!!  If you don't want to be thought of as someone like that, then it is easy....don't do it....!!!!  I couldn't believe that she said she wasn't a role model.....of course she was...she was Miss Seattle and Miss Washington!!!! 

September 8, 2008, 2:09 pm CDT

stupid people make me so mad

I can't believe I am so mad that I am posting on one of these boards but I really have had enough.  I am watching your show and my blood pressure is going thru the roof.  NO ONE I REPEAT NO ONE can say that they haven't had one of these photos taken of themselves.  Elyse deserves better than that.  If you are reading this and you actually can’t remember a photo being taken of you that could be taken out of context someone needs to slap you so you can WAKE UP.  I was mortified for Elyse.  The first thing I said to myself when I saw this picture was "I wonder who said what to elicits that response" and laughed thinking there is a group of young people being young and having a great time. If you can’t see that that is a photo taken during a party or light-hearted moment between friends YOUR IGNORANT AND NEED A LIFE.   She seems like a wonderful young woman and she deserves for her life out of the spotlight to be OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT.  What happens behind the closed doors of people in the public  eye needs to stay behind their closed doors.

I am so fed up with all these people who try to make a living negative spinning pictures of strangers.  I hadn't heard the gossip about Phil and Robin, but I can’t see how they get headlines like that from the pictures they used.  If you don’t want your life spun like that (and believe me it could be done) then what gives you the right to do that to someone else.  Who do these people think they are?

Maybe Dr. Phil you should do that.  Have one of these ...(you can’t call them journalist) people who write these kinds of articles followed and photographed then make a show full of embarrassing photos with huge false headlines attached to them about things that never happened them and see how they like it when the shoe is on the other foot.   

Dr. Phil I appreciate the candor that you have about your life and sharing your life with your audience is your right, it isn’t anyone else’s.  Why do people today think they have the right to invade the privacy of others and then announce it to the world wrapped up in lies and slander, and why do people think that papers selling nothing but these kind of lies are worth paying for.  If people didn’t buy them they would go out of business as they should.

September 8, 2008, 2:12 pm CDT

Busted Online

I can tell you that CPS and CASA routinely check out their clients on Facebook and My Space.  It's surprising how willing some of these people are to post all sorts of personal details on these very public forums.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last