Message Boards

Topic : 09/10 The Ultimate Weight Loss Race, Part 1

Number of Replies: 149
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, September 04, 2008, 12:11:05 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The obesity epidemic is so dire, an estimated 86 percent of the population will be overweight by 2030. Dr. Phil challenges Americans to get real about shedding pounds with his biggest weight loss series ever: The Ultimate Weight Loss Race! First up, meet the contestants. Annette and Emilie are college roommates who blame junk food and cafeteria buffets for their bulging midsections. Lauren is a pastry chef who calls food a drug, while her twin, Joe, says he’s overweight because he’s "a total slacker." Phil is a police officer who can no longer fit into his uniform, and his wife, Tiffany, jokes that she loves McDonald’s more than their children. Verne says he’s frustrated that he let his weight spiral out of control, and he blames himself for his son, Patrick’s, obesity. Finally, brothers Richard and Jeffery were once star football players but now say their combined weight is 731 pounds. Follow these five teams on a countrywide race as they compete against each other and complete challenges at some of the nation's most famous landmarks and cities. And, don’t be a couch potato when you can join this weight loss movement! Log on to DrPhil.com on Wednesday, September 10 to get healthy eating tips, support and to follow the progress of your favorite contestant in our new weight loss community. Then, join the discussion here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 10, 2008, 7:31 pm CDT

09/10 The Ultimate Weight Loss Race, Part 1

Quote From: ilovedaisies

At the end of the show Dr. Phil said go online and sign up to be part of this...  On the webpage for today's show there's an UNCENSORED video of him, saying the same thing.  I want to join!!!  Where do I sign up?  I can't find anything...

Help!
Linda

Linda, I can't find it either. I have been all over this site. From the message boards, to every link under the "weight" heading the moderator told you to try. All I am finding is old message boards going back to the spring of this year and beyond. Maybe I'm missing something ?

September 10, 2008, 7:36 pm CDT

if u can, i know i can

Quote From: byhappy

I feel so bad that I can't control myself and my food issues.  I was such a thin young lady for so long and now I am eating out of control.  Once I start I can't stop.  I  feel like I have no control over my own body and emotions.  I deal with depression, but it is in control at the time.  I need support to know there are those who truly care about others and their situations.
i also was a thin young lady, how i have become a much too heavy 57 year old is sad, i also am an emotional eater, and i have started cleaning stuff out of my house, realizing i am also a hoarder, i hope to clean up the way i eat, i have to believe you can do this, so i can believe i can do this. good luck to us dear. i wish u the best.

September 10, 2008, 7:38 pm CDT

Keep your chin up

Quote From: eileenjp

I wish I could come on Dr. Phil's stage and bring with me one year's worth of what I have do go through with my diabetes -- just as Oprah did with the wagon of beef she brought on stage when she lost weight.  Calculate if you will taking three insulin shots a day (3 needles per day), five test strips per day, many many bottles of two different types every two weeks of insulin bottles per month.  Put all this is a big pile and look at it because this is my life.   Now times that by 10 because this is my life since the age of 11. Then take another pile and put the many many juice boxes, sugar tablets, etc. that I have to injest daily to include sometimes twice in the middle of the night, just to get my blood sugar up before I am unable to save myself before passing out.

I WISH I HAD THE LUXURY OF SOMEONE SAYING TO ME THAT IF I DO: A, B, AND C, THAT I WILL NO LONGER HAVE TO ENDURE THIS LIFESTYLE OF TESTING AND TAKING INSULIN SHOTS.  IT'S SO FRUSTRATING THAT THERE IS SO DARN MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO ARE SO DARN LUCKY THAT THEY HAVE A WAY OUT!!!!  LISTEN TO DR. PHIL AND COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS THAT YOUR LIFE ISN'T MY LIFE AND SO MANY OTHER CHILDREN WHO SUFFER WITH JUVENILE DIABETES!!!  BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T LISTEN YOU JUST MIGHT GET YOURSELF IN A SIUTATION THAT A PILL MAY NOT BE ENOUGH TO CONTROL YOUR DIABETES -- RATHER; YOU WILL BE ON THE ROAD OF DOING EXACTLY WHAT SOME OF US HAVE TO DO.  MAKE THIS WARNING A PART OF YOUR MINDSET AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!  I WISH YOU WELL.  BUT PLEASE PRAY FOR THOSE OF US WHO NEED A CURE AND NOT JUST A WEIGHT PLAN BECAUSE I AM NOT OVERWEIGHT.  MY PANCREAS DOESN'T WORK!!!

I am a Type 1 diabetic and a Paramedic.  I aquired Type 1 diabetes after having pacreatitis because my cholesterol (triglycerides) was too high.  After 4 months of not eating a thing, my pancreas never started working again.  I take 4 shots/day with 2 different insulins.  It's extremely frustrating at times to be diabetic.  You always have to be thinking about food and the next time you might eat because you need this medicine with you whenever you do eat.  And you constantly have to be thinking about what you can eat.  It's harder to loose weight when you're diabetic (I am overweight - I'm glad you don't have that problem). 

I can tell you that no matter what you do, besides getting a pancreas transplant (which would require you to take many more anti-rejection pills forever), you will always be diabetic and will be required to take insulin shots.  However, there is some good news.  You can do A, B and C to manage your diabetes much better - if you can manage it better, it isn't such a burden.

A - Get an endocronologist and see him/her once every 3 months.  They are a specialty Dr. for managing diabetes and can assist you with ALL aspects of the disease.

B - See a nutritionist (probably can be done through the endocronologist).  If you are that dependant on sugar intake throughout the night, something is wrong.  You have to have a balanced diet with the right units of insulin.  More protein with dinner and less fast-acting insulin.  If you're not already taking it, Lantus is a 24 hour insulin that helps stabilize your levels instead of them being like a roller coaster, which is what you seem to be describing.  And a small sweet snack before bed if you think you need it is all you should have to do.  You shouldn't be drinking sugar (sodas/juice) on a regular basis.

C - Exercise regularly.  Walking, swimming, riding a bike are low-impact things that can help regulate your levels without bottom-ing you out.

I know you have lived with this disease for a long time, but in that time there has been a lot more learned about diabetes.  New, better acting insulins, an insulin pump, etc.  Use the resources out there available to you - you don't have to feel so isolated.  Of all the diseases to have, diabetes isn't so bad - it's very easily managed with the right tools.  Don't get sucked up in that circle of doom and gloom - I know it's so easy to do.  I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you can at least consider my advise.  It won't take it away, but it will help.

September 10, 2008, 7:46 pm CDT

here in chandler AZ.

Hi everyone I am excited to do the weight loss challenge. I am a women 5'1 I want to loose 40-50 pounds. I joined LA fitness for 25$ a month and if theres anyone in my area that wants to work out please let me know I would love a partner!

September 10, 2008, 7:48 pm CDT

Quote From: rkm0726

Linda, I can't find it either. I have been all over this site. From the message boards, to every link under the "weight" heading the moderator told you to try. All I am finding is old message boards going back to the spring of this year and beyond. Maybe I'm missing something ?

Hi, I was looking to... just about gave up and then clicked on Dr. Phil's weight loss widget... and found it there.  Hope this helps. J.

September 10, 2008, 7:59 pm CDT

HELP

Hello,

I am a breast cancer survivor times 2.   I am 44 years old and I can not lose weight.....I have tried everything from Weight Watchers, TOPs, low carb, and not eating at all....I have always had a weight problem, ever since I was a small child.  I am very active but I am limited with all the complications with all my surgeries.  But I push my limits and sometimes end up very sore or my arm swells due to lypmhadema.  But I do not let that stop me.....I just want to be healthy.  My onocoligist always comments on my weight. So I know it is a major risk for cancer returning.....please help...

September 10, 2008, 8:00 pm CDT

Quote From: rkm0726

I can't find it either......thanks and good luck.....

September 10, 2008, 8:52 pm CDT

My story : )

I watched the show tonight and it made me finally come onto this website!  I am glad for that because it looks great. 

I am 24 and I don't know my exact weight at the moment.  I can tell you that two weeks ago I was 208 pounds, and I am sure that I am around 215 now.  This has happened slowly, but soooo quickly, too.  Most of the time I don't think of myself as this big.  Then I see myself in the mirror and I just can't believe it.  I still don't seem to understand it though. Sometimes it is hard for me to "get it."  I am dangerously overweight and it is getting worse and worse.

My problem is that I need to grow up and change my life.  I do not know how and also do not try to make food.  I am a fast-food-aholic and I hate to clean.  I hate taking effort to make food, the preparation and the clean up.  (The rest of my house is a mess too, not just the kitchen!)  I don't feel like I have time either.  I have so many health problems and my life is so stressful that when I come home from work, all I want to do is eat and then lay in bed.  I'm not sure if I should get a gym membership or do videos that I have at home. 

My weight has gone up and down drastically and it is a horrible pattern.  I lost 30 pounds this past Jan-Mar.  I was 165 in March and now I have gained back the weight plus more for a net gain of 50 pounds in approximately 6 months. 

When I lose the weight again I want to keep it off for good.  This has to be my last attempt so that I never go back!  The picture I have on my profile is me at 125 pounds, my "normal" weight.  Those were the days, huh?  I want to be that person again.  I know I can do it.  Please pray for me and give me any tips or words of encouragement that you can.  I cannot continue like this.  This is a new night and tomorrow is the first whole day of the rest of my new life.

September 10, 2008, 9:43 pm CDT

U sound like you got it!

Quote From: abbeygirl1

i know that working out or any kind of movment is good .eating healthy (fruit and veggies) lean meats , chicken/turkey ,and i also know to keep busy and not let myself get bored...but do you think i can fallow my own advice NOPE!. i am 233 lbs.at age 50 i know that i don't  have time to play the weight game anymore,i use to say i need someone to keep an eye on me and cook all of my meals and also get me moving,WHY can't I BE THAT PERSON..like all of you doing the weight loss program,i am with you ,i will BE that person, and I WILL do what i need to do.......

We are all in the same boat....please stick with Me (Phil and Tiffany) and we can all support each other through this life changing experience!

God Bless You !!!! 

You can Do it!

Phil (Team Green)

September 10, 2008, 9:45 pm CDT

Good Luck!

Quote From: i_can_do_it

I watched the show tonight and it made me finally come onto this website!  I am glad for that because it looks great. 

I am 24 and I don't know my exact weight at the moment.  I can tell you that two weeks ago I was 208 pounds, and I am sure that I am around 215 now.  This has happened slowly, but soooo quickly, too.  Most of the time I don't think of myself as this big.  Then I see myself in the mirror and I just can't believe it.  I still don't seem to understand it though. Sometimes it is hard for me to "get it."  I am dangerously overweight and it is getting worse and worse.

My problem is that I need to grow up and change my life.  I do not know how and also do not try to make food.  I am a fast-food-aholic and I hate to clean.  I hate taking effort to make food, the preparation and the clean up.  (The rest of my house is a mess too, not just the kitchen!)  I don't feel like I have time either.  I have so many health problems and my life is so stressful that when I come home from work, all I want to do is eat and then lay in bed.  I'm not sure if I should get a gym membership or do videos that I have at home. 

My weight has gone up and down drastically and it is a horrible pattern.  I lost 30 pounds this past Jan-Mar.  I was 165 in March and now I have gained back the weight plus more for a net gain of 50 pounds in approximately 6 months. 

When I lose the weight again I want to keep it off for good.  This has to be my last attempt so that I never go back!  The picture I have on my profile is me at 125 pounds, my "normal" weight.  Those were the days, huh?  I want to be that person again.  I know I can do it.  Please pray for me and give me any tips or words of encouragement that you can.  I cannot continue like this.  This is a new night and tomorrow is the first whole day of the rest of my new life.

You are young and full of energy......once you get started you will have no problem dropping the pounds.....keep Team Green Posted! 

God Bless You!

Phil !!

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last