Message Boards

Topic : 09/10 The Ultimate Weight Loss Race, Part 1

Number of Replies: 149
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, September 04, 2008, 12:11:05 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The obesity epidemic is so dire, an estimated 86 percent of the population will be overweight by 2030. Dr. Phil challenges Americans to get real about shedding pounds with his biggest weight loss series ever: The Ultimate Weight Loss Race! First up, meet the contestants. Annette and Emilie are college roommates who blame junk food and cafeteria buffets for their bulging midsections. Lauren is a pastry chef who calls food a drug, while her twin, Joe, says he’s overweight because he’s "a total slacker." Phil is a police officer who can no longer fit into his uniform, and his wife, Tiffany, jokes that she loves McDonald’s more than their children. Verne says he’s frustrated that he let his weight spiral out of control, and he blames himself for his son, Patrick’s, obesity. Finally, brothers Richard and Jeffery were once star football players but now say their combined weight is 731 pounds. Follow these five teams on a countrywide race as they compete against each other and complete challenges at some of the nation's most famous landmarks and cities. And, don’t be a couch potato when you can join this weight loss movement! Log on to DrPhil.com on Wednesday, September 10 to get healthy eating tips, support and to follow the progress of your favorite contestant in our new weight loss community. Then, join the discussion here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 10, 2008, 10:01 pm CDT

What am I doing???

So I just had a baby a 3 months ago..I want to lose a little more weight but I make excuses for myself everyday! Its so hard for me to have strong will power...I will do so good all day and then by the end of the day I catch myself splurging on a bunch of junk food because I starved myself all day long to try to lose weight...I am so sick of hearing myself say "I will start tomorrow...I will start on a Sunday...I will start on a Monday..." What am I doing???? I know I can do this..I just need some help! I need a weight loss buddy...I seem to do well if I have someone to lose weight with but I am a stay at home mom who doesn't have a lot of interaction with my friends anymore and they dont need to lose weight...so if someone would like to join me in losing weight together I would LOVE it!!

September 10, 2008, 10:36 pm CDT

Stupid docs and school commission

It is nice to talk about obesity in its' generic form as being overweight PERIOD. But are there hidden culprits for some who are overweight? First let's look at the docs. I had myself admitted to the hospital on my own initiative because of psychiatric symptoms being so out of control due to cumulative stress. Upon being admitted it was not long before the medical authorities started playing with my meds without stating their ultimate goal. Part of all the changes involved putting me on two medications, one for Epilepsy and the other for the psychiatric symptoms to replace another in the case of psychiatric med. After all is done "good by and enjoy life". To fast forward I finally got to see a neuropsychiatrist who DID confirm my suspicions that my extreme weight gain was due to the two meds in question. At that point I was over 300 pounds which is not a normal weight despite being 6ft 7inches. Went from a size 44 waist to a size50. Neurologist was formerly convinced that all I wanted to do was reduce med intake. My worries were far more severe than just the amount of meds consummed. Why are the docs not keeping tags on us when we are put on these meds?

As for the school system it is wonderful to say we have healthy foods in our cafeterias today. Nonetheless, Ritalin is still a medication of convenience to be given to kids who are acting up a lot in classrooms with the help of a faulty diagnosis in many cases. It makes the teachers' lives more bearable having such kids in the classroom when they teach. BUUUUUUUUT Ritalin has a side effect of weight gain and the degree of validity of the diagnosis will not prevent some kids from sufferring the side effect of weight gain due to Ritalin. Not just are such kids targetted for being called FATSO etcetra but to group them AND others like myself as being obese for the same reason as those who become that way by pigging out on food constitutes illegal discrimination against those who otherwise would not be fat if not for meds that are not followed up on. Worse, where the school commission is concerned, showing a preferrence for teachers peace over the wellbeing of the abovementionned children the doctors are aiding and abeiting unethical practices  where Ritalin prescriptions are concerned. I am going off those two meds and back on former ones. Still got some of the weight though. I have learned to deal with it and am therefore with minimal shame. Do some docs think they are veterinarians treating guinea pigs as do the school

commissions?

Douglas     

September 10, 2008, 10:47 pm CDT

09/10 The Ultimate Weight Loss Race, Part 1

Quote From: newnavymom

I saw you on the show today and just wanted to let you know that I've been there too feeling lost and drifting. I to have 100+ lbs to lose but like you I am now heading in the right direction having lost almost 20#. My advice to you is just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and if you feel like you can't, just stand still until you feel strong again. Just dont go backwards no matter what. I'll be yelling and cheering you on form the hills of Tennesse.

Hey ..

I saw you on Dr.Phil today with your brother. You both had me in tears. I could tell you both care about each other very much.  Good luck to both of you on your journey to better health!  I cant wait to see you both compete and reach your goals at the same time.

September 10, 2008, 10:57 pm CDT

09/10 The Ultimate Weight Loss Race, Part 1

Quote From: douglasn

It is nice to talk about obesity in its' generic form as being overweight PERIOD. But are there hidden culprits for some who are overweight? First let's look at the docs. I had myself admitted to the hospital on my own initiative because of psychiatric symptoms being so out of control due to cumulative stress. Upon being admitted it was not long before the medical authorities started playing with my meds without stating their ultimate goal. Part of all the changes involved putting me on two medications, one for Epilepsy and the other for the psychiatric symptoms to replace another in the case of psychiatric med. After all is done "good by and enjoy life". To fast forward I finally got to see a neuropsychiatrist who DID confirm my suspicions that my extreme weight gain was due to the two meds in question. At that point I was over 300 pounds which is not a normal weight despite being 6ft 7inches. Went from a size 44 waist to a size50. Neurologist was formerly convinced that all I wanted to do was reduce med intake. My worries were far more severe than just the amount of meds consummed. Why are the docs not keeping tags on us when we are put on these meds?

As for the school system it is wonderful to say we have healthy foods in our cafeterias today. Nonetheless, Ritalin is still a medication of convenience to be given to kids who are acting up a lot in classrooms with the help of a faulty diagnosis in many cases. It makes the teachers' lives more bearable having such kids in the classroom when they teach. BUUUUUUUUT Ritalin has a side effect of weight gain and the degree of validity of the diagnosis will not prevent some kids from sufferring the side effect of weight gain due to Ritalin. Not just are such kids targetted for being called FATSO etcetra but to group them AND others like myself as being obese for the same reason as those who become that way by pigging out on food constitutes illegal discrimination against those who otherwise would not be fat if not for meds that are not followed up on. Worse, where the school commission is concerned, showing a preferrence for teachers peace over the wellbeing of the abovementionned children the doctors are aiding and abeiting unethical practices  where Ritalin prescriptions are concerned. I am going off those two meds and back on former ones. Still got some of the weight though. I have learned to deal with it and am therefore with minimal shame. Do some docs think they are veterinarians treating guinea pigs as do the school

commissions?

Douglas     

Its sad to see from your message and emoticon that you are angry. Youve been through a lot from what can be told from your own words.  However, I have to disagree with you that Ritalin is a medication of convenience.  Perhaps with some but not all.  Many children have been able to take control of their behaviours and been able to sit and concentrate on learning which is what they are in school for.   You obviously have had more negative side effects than positive from its use.

I hope you get what you need from these message boards or from Dr.Phil and perhaps change your mood from angry to happy.

September 11, 2008, 3:53 am CDT

To i_can_do_it - good luck

Quote From: i_can_do_it

I watched the show tonight and it made me finally come onto this website!  I am glad for that because it looks great. 

I am 24 and I don't know my exact weight at the moment.  I can tell you that two weeks ago I was 208 pounds, and I am sure that I am around 215 now.  This has happened slowly, but soooo quickly, too.  Most of the time I don't think of myself as this big.  Then I see myself in the mirror and I just can't believe it.  I still don't seem to understand it though. Sometimes it is hard for me to "get it."  I am dangerously overweight and it is getting worse and worse.

My problem is that I need to grow up and change my life.  I do not know how and also do not try to make food.  I am a fast-food-aholic and I hate to clean.  I hate taking effort to make food, the preparation and the clean up.  (The rest of my house is a mess too, not just the kitchen!)  I don't feel like I have time either.  I have so many health problems and my life is so stressful that when I come home from work, all I want to do is eat and then lay in bed.  I'm not sure if I should get a gym membership or do videos that I have at home. 

My weight has gone up and down drastically and it is a horrible pattern.  I lost 30 pounds this past Jan-Mar.  I was 165 in March and now I have gained back the weight plus more for a net gain of 50 pounds in approximately 6 months. 

When I lose the weight again I want to keep it off for good.  This has to be my last attempt so that I never go back!  The picture I have on my profile is me at 125 pounds, my "normal" weight.  Those were the days, huh?  I want to be that person again.  I know I can do it.  Please pray for me and give me any tips or words of encouragement that you can.  I cannot continue like this.  This is a new night and tomorrow is the first whole day of the rest of my new life.

I know you can doit.  Can I give you some tips?  I hate to cook and clean as well.  Join www.flylady.net she will teach you how to keep your house clean and decluttered.  15 min a day, and in no time your house will be clean.

Also, plan your meals, if you have everything planned, it's easier to cook.  I know when I was planning my meals, it was a lot simpler and I cooked more.  There was no staring at the freezer, going what to cook for dinner, it was already planned and thawed.

Good luck, you can do this, and you will.

September 11, 2008, 4:29 am CDT

overweight

This is a show I would really like to participate in. I am slightly overweight as is one of my daughters. The other one is more than a hundred pounds overweight and I would really like some help for her.

I love this show and cant wait to see the progression and the weight loss for the participants.

September 11, 2008, 6:46 am CDT

ready to be my own support system

Quote From: donnaindetroit

i realize from watching your show i am an emotional eater. my daughter is away at college, and its just the two of us. i am 57, 4'11, and 170 lbs. i lost my health ins a year ago, and 4 days later found out i was diabetic. i know i have to get my life under control., yet i am totally out of control. i am hoping by joining this group, i can finally achieve this. even tho i have a million, or so it seems, animals, this house is empty without my daughter, who does triathlons, and has ran her whole life, i feel i am such a disappointment to her. i also have issues with hoarding..... i never use to be like this.
i look back at the msg i left last night, feeling anxious, like "am i going to be able to do this", well the morning is here, and i do feel today, in the light of day, I CAN DO THIS,. It is a matter of self control, I didnt cave last night, when i was hungry when i went to bed, i at two handfuls of cheerios, drank some water, and didnt cave.... this is stupid, but i am proud of myself, i passed my first of many temptations (sp). to all of us, one day, one step at a time. When i am feeling weak, i am coming to this board for support. When i read so many stories of u all, i see, i am fortunate, i could have things so much worse then i do. thanku everyone for giving me the inspiration i need.

September 11, 2008, 6:58 am CDT

GO TEAM GREEN!!!

Phil & Tiff,

It was great seeing you on TV.  I know you two are going to smoke the competition.  Can't wait until you get home and tell all of us about your adventure.  I know our lunch dates will change but I'm ready to do it with you.  Waiting to see you live today and get a glimpse of the new look.  Hope you are doing well and your support structure back here in Maryland and is ready to push you the rest of the way!  See you this weekend.

Nancy

September 11, 2008, 8:11 am CDT

happy

I watched your show on weight loss and it made me think about my life.The 2 poeple that bought tears 2 my eyes were the 2 brothers that lose there dad 6 yrs ago.I can feel there pain because when u are very close 2 a partent it is very hard 2 move ahead.I lose my mom last year she was my best friend.Igained a lot of wieght.Those 2 brother have made me want 2 change my life.I hope they win the race.your friend darlene

September 11, 2008, 9:03 am CDT

LINDA - ilovedaisies

Quote From: ilovedaisies

At the end of the show Dr. Phil said go online and sign up to be part of this...  On the webpage for today's show there's an UNCENSORED video of him, saying the same thing.  I want to join!!!  Where do I sign up?  I can't find anything...

Help!
Linda

LINDA - The way I got in to sign up was I went to The Ultimate Weight Loss Race:  Premiere, then clicked on the little blue rectangle at the top right that said:  Weight Loss Widget and you enter your weight and your goal (I then put it in my Favourites) and every Monday you go in and record your weight.    Good Luck.

Hugs,

Shirley

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next | Last