Message Boards

Topic : 09/10 The Ultimate Weight Loss Race, Part 1

Number of Replies: 149
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, September 04, 2008, 12:11:05 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The obesity epidemic is so dire, an estimated 86 percent of the population will be overweight by 2030. Dr. Phil challenges Americans to get real about shedding pounds with his biggest weight loss series ever: The Ultimate Weight Loss Race! First up, meet the contestants. Annette and Emilie are college roommates who blame junk food and cafeteria buffets for their bulging midsections. Lauren is a pastry chef who calls food a drug, while her twin, Joe, says he’s overweight because he’s "a total slacker." Phil is a police officer who can no longer fit into his uniform, and his wife, Tiffany, jokes that she loves McDonald’s more than their children. Verne says he’s frustrated that he let his weight spiral out of control, and he blames himself for his son, Patrick’s, obesity. Finally, brothers Richard and Jeffery were once star football players but now say their combined weight is 731 pounds. Follow these five teams on a countrywide race as they compete against each other and complete challenges at some of the nation's most famous landmarks and cities. And, don’t be a couch potato when you can join this weight loss movement! Log on to DrPhil.com on Wednesday, September 10 to get healthy eating tips, support and to follow the progress of your favorite contestant in our new weight loss community. Then, join the discussion here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 10, 2008, 5:48 pm CDT

Overweight Grandma

HELP!!!!  I am a 58 yrs. old grandma who loves her grandchildren (and children) very much and I want to improve my health and lose this weight  ( a good 70 lbs.) that has been plagueing me for years so that I can be around to watch them grow up, get married and hopefully have kids.  I have tried every diet going.  Dr. Phil can you help me????  Any other suggestions would be greatly received.

September 10, 2008, 5:56 pm CDT

Howdy !

Hello all ~ I am going to go out tomorrow and buy the Ultimate Weight Loss book and get started ASAP . I would like to loose 100 pounds , My dad is diabetic and I know if I don't do something now I am heading in the same direction , I weigh 240 now and would like to weigh around 150 . I AM READY FOR A CHANGE , WISH ME LUCK !!!!!

September 10, 2008, 5:58 pm CDT

Thank you very much Dr Phil

I wanted to say a HUGE thank you for doing this show. I do need to lose some weight, as does my husband, but our personal life has proven that to us immensly, in a much more personal and compelling way.  We live in Florida, currently my husband is in Wisconsin, burying his step-mother whom he thought of as a mother.  She was 59!!!!  She died of complications due to diabetes.  She has been severely overweight the entire time I have known her, the past 9 years.  It finally killed her. 

At 59 years old, her life is over.  This stuff is SERIOUS!!!!  Please, everyone, take care of yourself.  I know my husband and I are serious now, neither of us want to bury the other, nor do we want our daughter to have to go through what he has gone through this past week.

Again, Dr Phil, thank you from the bottom of my heart for bringing this to the forefront, and helping people to get healthy.

Also, the last pair, the brothers, they brought tears to my eyes, they remind me, the bigger one especally - forgive me I can't remember their names, so much of my mother in law.

You are an amazing person, Dr Phil, for the way you give back and never judge. 

I had to tell my story, in hopes it may convince other people that weight can and will KILL you.

September 10, 2008, 6:03 pm CDT

09/10 The Ultimate Weight Loss Race, Part 1

Quote From: croutzah

Wow Tiff - you are in for the chance of a lifetime.  Everyone @ JoAnns is wishing you and Phil the very best and can't wait for you to get back and let us know all about your experience.  Of course, I'm sure you will be hard to recognize by then.  Can't wait til tomorrow to see you "In action".  Go get um girl.  WE MISS YOU ....

Chris

Saw today's show and am so impressed w/the way you and Phil handled the situation.  Proves how determined you both are.  Can't wait to find out what happens tomorrow.  You guys are the best.  And we still miss you .....

Chris

September 10, 2008, 6:09 pm CDT

To Richard

Quote From: richardjackson

Just wanted to thank everyone in advance for all the positive thoughts,prayers,and support. I love you all! To my mother who is the closest thing to an angel i have ever known, you are my hero! To my little brother Jeffrey, you have been my inspiration, you are on this journey with me. Whenever i have fallen,you have been there to pick me back up.You have the heart of a lion! Dad would be so proud of you! Dad and Grandma, even though you are no longer here in body,(r.i.p.)you have been with me every step of the way. I feel your presence guiding me. To all my fellow Military Veterans who have lost their way when they got out of the service, like me, and woke up one day wondering what happened,where did my body and my health go? To the person who like me, had nowhere to turn, was desperate, depressed, overwhelmed,facing emminent disaster, take these steps with me. It wont be easy, but then again is anything in life? Starting at over 400 lbs, if i can do this, so can you. Never give up!!

Your New Friend,

Richard T. Jackson,Jr.

P.S.  Representing Southern Caliifornia baby!!

I just wanted to wish you well on your journey.  Your story reminded me so much of my mother in law.  She died on Tuesday, basically complications due to diabetes and being extremely overweight.  Your story brought tears to my eyes.  I am praying and routing you on.  Even if you don't win this competition, I pray that you continue your journey togood health, and live a LONG and happy life.

My mother in law was an amazing person, wanted to help everyone, was just a wonderful woman all around.  The tragic part to all of this, even more so than her death, was the fact that she was JUST 59.  She had many years ahead of her, and yet, tomorrow, she will be buried.

This can and will kill you, take this opportunity and become the healthy person to go along with that amazing personality.

And thank you so very much for your service to our country, without men like you this country would not be so amazing!!!!

Keep the faith, and know we are rooting for you!!!

September 10, 2008, 6:17 pm CDT

I feel like I'm doomed....

I have been fighting my weight for nearly 25 years now. I can't seem to get off this rollercoaster. Last year I lost 75 lbs. and was 15 lbs. from my goal and then I fell off the wagon and have already gained back 40 lbs. I don't know how to do this and keep it off. I've read Dr. Phil's book and I guess I still just don't get it. I'm thinking of resorting to just never ever touching sugar or any of the bad stuff ever again. People say this is unrealistic, but a drug addict doesn't have an occasional hit and an alcoholic doesn't have a weekend drink so why should a person with an eating problem have an occasional treat? I don't know how I should be looking at this whole problem anymore, but I feel this may be the only way. I'm so sick and tired of being controlled by food.  :o(

September 10, 2008, 6:54 pm CDT

"Weighing in" on the weight loss race

I bought the book, The Ultimate Weight Solution soon after the first weight loss challenge and read through it quickly.   I had begun exercising regularly prior to that series but other than that I wasn't really ready to get real.  Since last spring I have been trying to make more healthy changes and just make healthier choices one day at a time.    I am 44 years old, a single mom 5 foot 4 inches and currently 184.4 lbs.  By all statistical counts I am obese and have been for quite some time.  My short term goal is to get my weight out of the obese range and then out of the overweight range.  I've spent many years making unhealthy choices and changing that is difficult.  Maybe now, a little older and hopefully wiser I can face those 7 keys and get comfortable in my own skin. 

I will be watching this series faithfully just like last time.  I am disappointed that there are not more weight loss race teams (people) closer to my age and more females.  The first challengers were a little more diverse.  Despite those differences I can relate to everyone on some level.  I wish all the contestants much success.

September 10, 2008, 6:56 pm CDT

I'm so disgusted with myself

I feel so bad that I can't control myself and my food issues.  I was such a thin young lady for so long and now I am eating out of control.  Once I start I can't stop.  I  feel like I have no control over my own body and emotions.  I deal with depression, but it is in control at the time.  I need support to know there are those who truly care about others and their situations.

September 10, 2008, 7:06 pm CDT

Great job today PINK TEAM

Emilie

We think all of southern Michigan (at least all of Devils Lake) watched the show today and we are all so excited for you....Could not have happened to a nicer girl!  Keep up the hard work-you are an inspiration for your "favorite fat neighbors!"

Love, Beth and Rob   PS We are feeding your cat for you!!!!

September 10, 2008, 7:29 pm CDT

out of control - donnaindetroit

i realize from watching your show i am an emotional eater. my daughter is away at college, and its just the two of us. i am 57, 4'11, and 170 lbs. i lost my health ins a year ago, and 4 days later found out i was diabetic. i know i have to get my life under control., yet i am totally out of control. i am hoping by joining this group, i can finally achieve this. even tho i have a million, or so it seems, animals, this house is empty without my daughter, who does triathlons, and has ran her whole life, i feel i am such a disappointment to her. i also have issues with hoarding..... i never use to be like this.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last