Message Boards

Topic : 09/10 The Ultimate Weight Loss Race, Part 1

Number of Replies: 149
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, September 04, 2008, 12:11:05 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
The obesity epidemic is so dire, an estimated 86 percent of the population will be overweight by 2030. Dr. Phil challenges Americans to get real about shedding pounds with his biggest weight loss series ever: The Ultimate Weight Loss Race! First up, meet the contestants. Annette and Emilie are college roommates who blame junk food and cafeteria buffets for their bulging midsections. Lauren is a pastry chef who calls food a drug, while her twin, Joe, says he’s overweight because he’s "a total slacker." Phil is a police officer who can no longer fit into his uniform, and his wife, Tiffany, jokes that she loves McDonald’s more than their children. Verne says he’s frustrated that he let his weight spiral out of control, and he blames himself for his son, Patrick’s, obesity. Finally, brothers Richard and Jeffery were once star football players but now say their combined weight is 731 pounds. Follow these five teams on a countrywide race as they compete against each other and complete challenges at some of the nation's most famous landmarks and cities. And, don’t be a couch potato when you can join this weight loss movement! Log on to DrPhil.com on Wednesday, September 10 to get healthy eating tips, support and to follow the progress of your favorite contestant in our new weight loss community. Then, join the discussion here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 9, 2008, 9:41 am CDT

You Can Do it!

Quote From: mislucy

I'm overweight,have been for 20 years....I think about it at least 20 times a day...some days it consumes me and I am often depressed over it.  I don't have anyone living near me, friends or family, to loose weight together with...i'm trying to bring myself to getting on board and not waiting for 'some one else' to help me.

I just don't know where to start and when I do get started I don't stick to it for very long...I'm an all or nothing girl and this has got to come to an end.

I had double bypass heart surgery at 36 years old, I am not 52 and am overweight....

I hope this community and the upcoming series can get through to me...

Thanks to all for listening.

I have been over weight for 20 years also and like you I didn't think I could do much aboout it!

Please get Dr. Phil's book ASAP and follow the seven keys. I promise you that you will loss weight if you follow the book. It has been unreal how well these simple steps work. The results start right away.

Just remember that this is not a diet.....CUZ DIETS DON'T WORK!

Good Luck,

Phil (Team Green)

September 9, 2008, 9:48 am CDT

You Can Do It!

Quote From: danielsmom07

Back during the first time the UWLC happened, I lost over 75 pounds and was doing great. Unfortunately, I had some personal things happen and I blew it. I now have even more weight to lose than last time - I have never been this heavy, but its taking a toll on me. I have been miserable and wanting some support, feeling like I can't do this alone this time. When I saw that this was starting again, I was in tears. I so hope the support groups start up again like last time - they were so instrumental in my maintaining a focus. I started eating the way I should yesterday and know it will work again, and this time for good - I now have a son to look after and want nothing more than to be able to get on the floor and play with him, which right now, it breaks my heart that I can't. This is for him, and it will happen!

Tiffany from Team Green is in the same boat, so please know that you can do it again! Like you said..this time it will be for good! Know that everyone wants you to be happy and healthy...do it for yourself and for your son!

Good Luck!

Phil (Team Green)

September 9, 2008, 10:03 am CDT

Keep your Head Up

Quote From: danielsmom07

Back during the first time the UWLC happened, I lost over 75 pounds and was doing great. Unfortunately, I had some personal things happen and I blew it. I now have even more weight to lose than last time - I have never been this heavy, but its taking a toll on me. I have been miserable and wanting some support, feeling like I can't do this alone this time. When I saw that this was starting again, I was in tears. I so hope the support groups start up again like last time - they were so instrumental in my maintaining a focus. I started eating the way I should yesterday and know it will work again, and this time for good - I now have a son to look after and want nothing more than to be able to get on the floor and play with him, which right now, it breaks my heart that I can't. This is for him, and it will happen!
I know exactly how you are feeling about not being able to play with your son on the floor. Phil and I have 2 little girls, under the age of 5, and it was a daily struggle for me just to go outside and play in the yard with them. I can honestly say that this experience has changed my life and put me on the road to my own personal success. There will always be days that feel like you aren't able to go along with the program, but one thing we both have to remember is that we are the direct role model to our children and we need to stay positive for them and for ourself. Please stay strong and keep up the good work and know that you have this message board and online friends to hold you accountable. Best Wishes!

September 9, 2008, 10:08 am CDT

Thanks For the Support!

Thank you to everyone who has helped us along this journey! Dr Phil and his staff have changed our life. We are so grateful for the success we have made so far, and the journey has just begun for us! We cant wait to see all of our family and friends and we will keep everyone online posted about our journey! Thanks again and we will post again soon!

September 9, 2008, 10:55 am CDT

Let's Do This!!!

Just wanted to thank everyone in advance for all the positive thoughts,prayers,and support. I love you all! To my mother who is the closest thing to an angel i have ever known, you are my hero! To my little brother Jeffrey, you have been my inspiration, you are on this journey with me. Whenever i have fallen,you have been there to pick me back up.You have the heart of a lion! Dad would be so proud of you! Dad and Grandma, even though you are no longer here in body,(r.i.p.)you have been with me every step of the way. I feel your presence guiding me. To all my fellow Military Veterans who have lost their way when they got out of the service, like me, and woke up one day wondering what happened,where did my body and my health go? To the person who like me, had nowhere to turn, was desperate, depressed, overwhelmed,facing emminent disaster, take these steps with me. It wont be easy, but then again is anything in life? Starting at over 400 lbs, if i can do this, so can you. Never give up!!

Your New Friend,

Richard T. Jackson,Jr.

P.S.  Representing Southern Caliifornia baby!!

September 9, 2008, 11:13 am CDT

Ready To Start Anew

Like some of us - I was there when Dr Phil had his first challenge - one of the many "couch potato's" so to speak.  I purchased the guides, even started my own notebook to journal but didn't quite get into doing anything about it.   Then I met someone on-line who also lives in the same town as I do (hey Char !!) and we became fast long-time friends.  Because of her I (along with hubby) got involved with a local type challenge ... it gave me the motivation I needed.  I still need motivation and a kick in the tush every now and again .. I WILL lose the weight this time. 

Obviously hubby and I didn't get chosen for this current challenge (yes I sent in my tape) but it's not going to stop me from giving it my all !!

Get used to my name .. I'll be here often :)

Sher in Mansfield, OH

September 9, 2008, 1:56 pm CDT

your dog

Quote From: angel4023

iv tried to go by your book for looseing weight and gess what i gained even moore so i quit and starved myself that woked but my family said i was to skinny i dident think so i do this to loose the weight then when i get down to where i want to be i eat again but now they say im to fat and i cant stop eating and the DR. says that i need to loose the weight but i cant for one thing i would have to get out of bed by now you proably think im this really big pearson but im not i only weigh 160pounds but the DR. says that he would like to see me get down to 130,i almost did durring the winter when i had my little dog because i had to walk her so much but there was times that i went placses that i couldent take her and she would sit at the door and cry really loud i came home one and could here her out side not good but i understood why she did this but the land lord said she had to go and i wasent to bring another dog into the building so now what do i do i dont care to go out and walk alone she was really good for me.
Go ahead and get another dog. If this would help  you in losing weight by walking it. You can purchase a collar for the dog and it will not bark. I don't know anything about the collar, but you could ask someone before you buy it. I don't know how the collar works. Good luck on you weight lose.

September 9, 2008, 2:11 pm CDT

Ready to finally lose the weight

I am a 44 years old female....... I weigh 202 pounds. I know that I am very over weight. I am tired of not having clothes that fit me right. I am tired all the time. I would be satisfied weighting120 lbs.and fit. I can lose the weight, I know I can. The most I have every lost is 60lbs. I turn right around and gain it back in six by not eating right and exercising. I don't go out to eat much, I mostly eat my meals at home. It's a mind thing for me. I am going to try again on September 10 to lose the weight, once and for all keep it off. I have to keep the junk food out of my house.

September 9, 2008, 2:25 pm CDT

Orange Crush!!

Quote From: richardtaylor

Just wanted to thank everyone in advance for all the positive thoughts,prayers,and support. I love you all! To my mother who is the closest thing to an angel i have ever known, you are my hero! To my little brother Jeffrey, you have been my inspiration, you are on this journey with me. Whenever i have fallen,you have been there to pick me back up.You have the heart of a lion! Dad would be so proud of you! Dad and Grandma, even though you are no longer here in body,(r.i.p.)you have been with me every step of the way. I feel your presence guiding me. To all my fellow Military Veterans who have lost their way when they got out of the service, like me, and woke up one day wondering what happened,where did my body and my health go? To the person who like me, had nowhere to turn, was desperate, depressed, overwhelmed,facing emminent disaster, take these steps with me. It wont be easy, but then again is anything in life? Starting at over 400 lbs, if i can do this, so can you. Never give up!!

Your New Friend,

Richard T. Jackson,Jr.

P.S.  Representing Southern Caliifornia baby!!

Hello all!This is Richard T. Jackson,Jr.again,just forgot to mention we are the Orange team and are brothers. Jeffrey is 27 and i am 32.

GO ORANGE TEAM!!!

September 9, 2008, 6:57 pm CDT

I'm excited for this WLC to start!!

Hi to all the Challengers,

Looking forward to Wednesday to see the show.  I was there for the first taping, and wonder how things went.  I'm so glad that Dr. Phil is doing this again.  I lost 130 lbs during the first two Weight Loss Challenges.  His 7 keys are all that you need to be successful.  Robert will be a great help, so listen to what he has to say. I'll be cheering all six teams on and looking forward to seeing less of you on every show.  Enjoy every moment because it goes so quickly.  You have gotten a wonderful opportunity and I know you will all succeed.  I hope to see you all at another taping soon.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last